Author Topic: Apple Keyboard ISO Enter dimensions?  (Read 6189 times)

Offline t8c

Apple Keyboard ISO Enter dimensions?
« on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:36:37 »
Hey everyone. Thanks to the good ramnes here on GH I have a ISO apple extended keyboard II on the way.  :)

I am currently planning to build my own custom Alps board and just wondered how I should plan for it to work with the ISO enter. I am a bit confused as how I am going to use the ISO enter. It is pictured below,

Does any of these two look correct?

If you have input for how I can get the plate building tool to accommodate the AEK II stabilizers ++ that would be great.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Apple Keyboard ISO Enter dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 16:08:41 »
Comparing the backspace to the F keys above it's shrank from the standard 2u to a 1.75u, the + key next to enter overlaps that by 0.5 so your second layout has the size right - it's small.  I would put it touching the rest of the caps then I doubt you'll even notice the difference from a standard sized one in use...

If you were making a cherry board the stabs for an ISO enter are just like a standard 2u tall switch so if the plate generator wasn't playing niceI'd swap one of them in, but I have no idea when it comes to Alps.  Have you run it through to see if it the output looks reasonable?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline keyboardia1

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 12:28:47 »
I have an iso AEK II on my way too and i plan something similar. Care to post the link to the keyboard layout editor?

Offline t8c

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 12:46:21 »
I have tweaked it a little bit. I think the tab and caps lock sizes are larger than in my first two drafts. It looks like the real deal.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/33205e7e664965f29fdc

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 14:41:04 »
Hm.. I don't think the plate building tool is capable of accomodating the alps stabilizers from the aekii. For my m0118 based builds I had to modify the plate builder outputs in autocad.

Offline keyboardia1

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:54:49 »
I have tweaked it a little bit. I think the tab and caps lock sizes are larger than in my first two drafts. It looks like the real deal.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/33205e7e664965f29fdc
Thanks! That's a great starting point for me.

Hm.. I don't think the plate building tool is capable of accomodating the alps stabilizers from the aekii. For my m0118 based builds I had to modify the plate builder outputs in autocad.
It'll be some time before i'll actually get to work with my custom alps board but would you be willing to share your modified plate design?

Offline t8c

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:17:05 »
It'll be some time before i'll actually get to work with my custom alps board but would you be willing to share your modified plate design?
Ditto. Nubbinator made these stabilizer drawings for his AEK II Alps 60% Plate Buy.

Maybe someone could help us out  :cool: :cool:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 13:51:51 »
First of all, the mods on the bottom row are 1.5, 1.25, 1.5.

The AEKII in ANSI has otherwise a standard layout, just like the full-size PC keyboards, with a width of 15u.

The AEKII in ISO, however, is also 15u wide but the rightmost keys 0(except for the bottom row) are 0.25 thinner and the leftmost keys are 0.25 wider.
So, the Backspace and Tab keys are both 1.75 wide. The Shift keys are 1.5 and 2.5 wide.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 01:14:16 »

Sure, no problem. Please note that sizes differ between the M0118 and the ISO AEKII as for enter key and most mod keys. However, the stabilizer holes are a perfect fit, so just measure the distances on your original AEKII plate and put the holes where they should be in the cad.

Edit:
You can also have a look at the AEKII ISO layout at KLE. I did a mockup of my Orange Mod AEKII here... http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/55149cb1a1cd8a0c749c

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2015, 05:05:36 by Yoe »