Author Topic: Unicomp Micro Mod (HHBK size Unicomp)  (Read 4304 times)

Offline shmithers

Unicomp Micro Mod (HHBK size Unicomp)
« on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 23:13:46 »
Alright, I was going to make this post a bit later but as it turns out I need to ask the experts a few questions. Here is my plan:

I want to mod my Unicomp Customizer so that I have a HHKB style keyboard. I plan on creating a new casing for the keyboard as hacking up the case to that level would leave pretty much nothing left. I also plan on moving the USB connection to a USB type B port that I have laying around.

A couple of questions:

As far as the membrane circut sheets go, I am planning on folding them like the other modders here have for their Modle M mini mods, however I have the additional problem of having to fold in 2 directions. Since I will be removing the function keys also, I need to fold that part of the membrane down, and I need to fold over the 10keys/arrow keys etc. My question is, Do you think I could damage the membrane enough to stop the circuit by folding the sheet in both directions? Typically I saw that the other modders have been "rolling" their sheets rather than folding them, as I have to do, which has me worrying.

My second question is do USB ports typically have to be grounded? I see that on the Customizer the sleeve of the USB is connected to the metal back plate of the keyboard, but since I will be installing my own port I can no longer connect the sleeve of the USB cable to the metal back plate. (I will be using external cables), Should I make sure that the casing of the port that I am installing is touching the backplate or does it matter at all?

I will be updating with photos and storys of how the mod goes.

Cheers, and thank you all for your kind help! This project would not be possible with out the kind folk of Geekhack.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 December 2010, 23:18:16 by shmithers »

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 05:25:01 »
Fold it twice? Hmm...

I folded mine; I didn't think of rolling it. The sheets are pretty rugged, I don't think you'll damage them.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 06:10:40 »
I would try to cut the membrane and use spring clips at the edge on the traces. Cut the membrane like 5 to 10mm larger on the contact sides than the plate is. Use the contacts from the original membrane connector as clips.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 08:42:46 »
Quote from: lowpoly;260052
I would try to cut the membrane and use spring clips at the edge on the traces. Cut the membrane like 5 to 10mm larger on the contact sides than the plate is. Use the contacts from the original membrane connector as clips.

I would be reticent to use more contacts against the membrane than absolutely needed. The existing contacts are generally silver-ink to silver ink, or carbon-coated silver ink when they need to cross over to the circuitboard.

For a prototype, go nuts - but if you end up needing to keep dissimilar metals in contact for longer periods approaching years then expect some corrosion.

Me? I would fold the membrane if I hadn't just had a 'tenkeyless' terminal  F land in my lap... :P

have fun,
dfj
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...