Author Topic: A strange model M2...  (Read 4085 times)

Offline The Solutor

A strange model M2...
« on: Thu, 21 July 2011, 18:41:32 »
Given Daedalus/Ch_123 argued about backlit keyboards and cited a backlit model M as extreme case of blasphemy, i promised that sooner or later...  :becky:

Today i received  an M2 bought from Ascaii and I decided to recycle my old experiment on it (the qzerty layout was a partner in that decision  :D  )

Firstly I dismantled and cleaned the keyboard that was (obviously) a little dirty/yellowed

Then I used a set of recycled stickers, they are meant for black boards, but all in all the final effect on lit environment is not that bad.

Then I modded my USB rope light with an UV led, and although is impossible to get the idea in a foto (because the cellpone's image sensor is UV sensitive) the result is really nice in the dark environment: unlike the photos only the legends are visible to the naked eye.

BTW this is the final effect

This is how compare with a real backlight keyboard (105 blue leds @the maximum output v.s. a single UV led barely lit)

[video=youtube;vcr-3Al4Zv0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcr-3Al4Zv0[/video]

I must say that  a 15€ board + 4$ spent on the stickers + 10 cent spent on the led are more than worth the result.

I'm curios to hear daedalus coments...   :pop2::lol:
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Wibox

A strange model M2...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 July 2011, 20:34:37 »
:confused:
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline The Solutor

A strange model M2...
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 00:16:05 »
Added a video
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline REVENGE

A strange model M2...
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 02:13:29 »
Nice mod, not sure if having the UV there in the dark is eye safe though.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline The Solutor

A strange model M2...
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 06:36:07 »
Quote from: REVENGE;385174
Nice mod, not sure if having the UV there in the dark is eye safe though.

Surely an UV led driven at 5mA or so, emit less UV than almost any other light source, LCD monitors included., what changes it that emits  just UV and not UV+ visible light+infrared.

Offline Ascaii

A strange model M2...
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 13:50:10 »
interesting O_O

I wonder if we could get SP to do an order of doubleshots with uv reactive infill.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline The Solutor

A strange model M2...
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 14:01:09 »
Quote from: Ascaii;386277
interesting O_O

Chocked ? :party:

I wonder if we could get SP to do an order of doubleshots with uv reactive infill.

I think shouldn't be too difficult, even the phosphorescent ones could be considered (latkey has the phosphorescent stickers, cherry has the keys bundled with K1s..)
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 14:23:21 by The Solutor »