geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Home Plastic Injection Molding

<< < (2/3) > >>

braaaiiins:
I've got a friend who can help me out with the CNC work. And yes, $1600 is definitely sizable change, but I think still affordable considering I was expecting something around $5k. If this is truly capable of good quality colored key caps then I think its worth it. I never considered the idea of doing this as a group. Interesting idea... but it sounds like it would be complicated. If this thing can handle PBT plastic, I think I just might jump on it.

braaaiiins:
I'm not sure silicon would hold up to the temperatures and pressures needed to inject PBT plastic. I realize the stem would be the most sensitive area to machine, but someone out there makes these key caps and they're more than likely using cnc machined molds, so there is a way. I'm not at all concerned with making the mold - just what injector to use.

i3oilermaker:
This machine would not help us produce double shots...just blanks...

MMB:

--- Quote from: i3oilermaker on Sun, 29 July 2012, 21:58:23 ---This machine would not help us produce double shots...just blanks...

--- End quote ---

It depends on the mold. You would do it the same way double-shots are made: you mold the first piece, then create a mold that shapes the second piece around the first one.

braaaiiins:
I think it would be able to handle a double shot, although realistically you'd want to use a second injector to handle the second color. Cleaning plastic from those things does NOT look fun. Any idea how they get that slightly textured finish on top of the key cap?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version