geekhack Projects > DIY Discussions ARCHIVE

m15 Remake

(1/2) > >>

ed_:
I would like to make my own m15 by cutting a model m, remove the numpad and make an adjustable, ergonomic case.

I assume that I can re-solder the cut traces, but I don't know about the membrane.  Also, I may want to replace the controller with one that can support dip switches, but I have not found any.

Any tips would be appreciated.  Thanks.

lowpoly:
You could use a programmable controller but you wouldn't have dip switches. If those are a must using an AVR would be an option.

--- Quote ---I assume that I can re-solder the cut traces, but I don't know about the membrane.
--- End quote ---

You are not going to cut a pcb?

You'll probably need two Ms. At least two membranes.

ed_:

--- Quote from: lowpoly;21167 ---You could use a programmable controller but you wouldn't have dip switches. If those are a must using an AVR would be an option.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the links; I wasn't finding any good info on keyboard controllers, and was almost ready to program my own, but that's way below my ideal level of abstraction.

--- Quote ---
You are not going to cut a pcb?

You'll probably need two Ms. At least two membranes.
--- End quote ---

I was planning on cutting the PCB, and then fixing the severed traces with wires; I just don't know how to accomplish the same with the membranes.

Thanks.

lowpoly:
There is either a membrane or a switch pcb, not both. You might have to do some research on M internals?

ed_:

--- Quote from: lowpoly;21181 ---There is either a membrane or a switch pcb, not both. You might have to do some research on M internals?
--- End quote ---

The boards are still on the way, so I haven't personally looked inside yet, but all I have read suggests that they each have a PCB and two membranes.

--- Quote ---I'll be doing some path tracing so I can update this page with a solution. Below are the important pictures for my work, the controller front/back, and the two membranes (yes, Model M has them, too...)
--- End quote ---

http://solutions.sveit.com/modelm.html

--- Quote ---Set some  screws so that you can place a rubber sheet and membrane sheets at the right position using the screws as studs to guide sheets.
--- End quote ---

http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/repair_model_m.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version