Author Topic: Anyone use vinyl dye? (a.k.a. Adventures in Alphasmart case painting)  (Read 15022 times)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
I haven't seen much talk on this forum of vinyl dye, in spite of the fact that others seem to be using it with some success, especially for projects like case-painting.

I've been in the passive market for an Alphasmart Neo for a while, and happened across this web page showcasing a Neo with a Ferrari-red dye job.  In the past couple of weeks, I stumbled into an opportunity to pick up some retired surplus Neos and Neo2s super-cheap.  I grabbed three:  two Neo2s and one Neo1; one of the Neo2s was dead and largely unsalvageable, but the others, in spite of some case scuffing and marks, worked fine.

Since the cases were Sharpied up with lots of school ID information, I figured this was a natural opportunity for some dye-work, so I gave it a shot.  I bought two cans of SEM Color Coat:  Burgundy and Satin Black, and I went to town.  The result is below.

As usual, my amateur photography is glaring out the colors quite a bit.  Here it looks more tomato-red, but in real life (or, at least, as I personally perceive it in the visual spectrum) it's more brownish in that true-burgundy kind of way.  I used the black for the case bottom, which makes a nice contrast.

(Also, I mixed up the keyboard with black key caps from a Neo2, and army-green key caps from a Neo1.  I'm not sure if I like this two-tone mix, or if I'll go back to all-black.)

I wish I'd taken a "before" photo, as this thing looked pretty gnarly initially.  There were lots of identification marks in indelible black ink that are now invisible.  You can still faintly see the "Neo" logo if you pay attention.  It might have gone away with a few more coats, but I think it looks fine and I didn't want to chance it.

My impressions of vinyl dye are, currently, positive.  Or at least, my impressions with using SEM vinyl dye with this type of plastic.  YYMV, I suppose.  It applies like spray paint, which means there's a lot of room for error, but it seemed to drip less and wasn't that difficult to use, as long as you're not being an idiot (as I was during my first experiment).  If you're wondering about the "dye" part, this isn't a true dye, per se, in that it doesn't permeate the plastic like Rit dye does, but it does apparently make a deep bond with the plastic, for better color penetration, and it's also flexible, which can make it more durable to abuse.

I'd be curious to hear about the experiences of others with vinyl dye, if there are any.  Likewise, if you're looking to recolor some keyboard/computer/etc. cases, I would recommend giving this stuff a try.  (Although I highly recommend first practicing on a disposable object of similar material, (a) to get the hang of the spraying motion, and (b) to assess its color.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2009, 23:14:41 by megarat »

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline rdjack21

Anyone use vinyl dye? (a.k.a. Adventures in Alphasmart case painting)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 August 2009, 23:37:50 »
Nice I like it. I haven't gotten to dying yet I'm still in the collecting mode. In about a month or so I should be switching over and will give this a try. Now the question is what do I want to dye fist the keys or the case? That is going to be a hard choice to make I think.

Oh BTW I have to say I love the dye job you did on that HHKB Pro I got from you.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 August 2009, 23:54:38 »
Quote from: rdjack21;111695
Oh BTW I have to say I love the dye job you did on that HHKB Pro I got from you.

Nice, thanks.  I'm glad you're enjoying it.  I still have my "mobility" HHKB with effectively the same color scheme and I love it as well.  There are no plans to get rid of that guy in the near future.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 04:28:08 »
I highly recommend first practicing on a disposable object of similar material, (a) to get the hang of the spraying motion, and (b) to assess its color.)
Disposable object? Like one of these? :lol:

Looks like you can do wonders with this stuff.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 August 2009, 04:31:29 by Rajagra »

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 06:36:52 »
Quote from: Rajagra;111712
Disposable object? Like one of these? :lol:

Looks like you can do wonders with this stuff.

I honestly can't tell what the difference is...
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline pfink

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 07:28:58 »
I'd be curious to hear about the experiences of others with vinyl dye, if there are any.

I used Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating on one of my Model M Space Savers:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6759

I'd seen some debate on one of the case-modding forums as to whether the Dupli-Color product was vinyl dye or paint. When I used it the overspray was absorbed back into the plastic, unlike regular spray paint, so I'm guessing it's closer to dye than paint. In any case, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Offline pfink

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 August 2009, 19:57:22 »
Quote from: ripster;112399
Has anyone tried the scratch test yet (maybe with a spare key or something)?  I'm a little skeptical that this stuff actually soaks much into the plastic.

From what I've read it doesn't soak well into shiny plastic or plastic with any kind of coating on it. It seemed to take well on the Model M case  after I prepped it with a light sanding and a couple coats of "adhesion promoter", so maybe the prep is the key. I don't think it'd work too well on keys, though.

When I get some time I'll try it on a cheapo keyboard case I've got laying around here and then cut it open and post some photos.

Offline Xuan

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 August 2009, 22:35:04 »
I absolutely love the dark grey / army green key combination, it resambles the space-cadet keyboard.

Offline pfink

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 07:34:52 »
Quote from: ripster;112417
The real test is if you can scratch off the paint with a credit card.  If so then "vinyl dye" may not be the most accurate name.

I just tried scratching the back of my Space Saver with a screwdriver. I had to use a decent amount of pressure before the original color showed but it doesn't seem to have penetrated as deep as, say, Rit Dye. Maybe "vinyl coating" (which is the wording used on the Dupli-Color can) is a more accurate term, however this stuff is definitely different than normal spray paint.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 01:10:06 »
Quote from: ripster;112417
The real test is if you can scratch off the paint with a credit card.  If so then "vinyl dye" may not be the most accurate name.

Likewise, of the two Alphasmarts I "painted" with the stuff, I gave the one I don't plan to keep a round of innocuous scratch tests.

I was only able to see the "army green" color of the original plastic if I went pretty deep with a jeweler's screwdriver.  I can't say that this is a true dye, but it definitely keeps its coat much better than spray paint.  I've been told that this stuff bonds with the plastic rather than just coating and drying, and that seems to be an accurate description.