Author Topic: LEDs on GON Nerd 60 PCB  (Read 9302 times)

Offline zeltner

LEDs on GON Nerd 60 PCB
« on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:18:03 »
I joined the LeandreN group buy for the GON pcb. This will be my first build using LEDs and I am trying to make sense of what my options are. I've done some searching already but I'm not 100% confident in my info so if someone could help confirm my assumptions that would be awesome.

1) RGB leds are not an option for this pcb. I will need to use sigle color leds.

2) I need to use SMD leds for side led lighting (like these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CUGACAY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2SDU22UBAZCJ3&coliid=I36MYJ2LOWUVFD&psc=1 )

3) For in switch leds I need to use 1.8mm leds (like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-1-8mm-Diffused-White-Color-White-Light-LED-Diodes-DIP-High-Quality-USA-/121741967393?hash=item1c58630021:g:s9gAAOSw7FRWVw~U )

4) The side leds are what will create the "underglow" effect in a clear case.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: LEDs on GON Nerd 60 PCB
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 15:48:36 »
1 - Gon's site doesn't mention RGB anywhere, that would be a selling point so must be single colour

2 - 1206 are what Gon sells  - your link looks good.

3 - 1.8mm are good, 2x3x4 square will be fine too

4 - looking at the pics in this old GB it seems there's a line of LEDs between the top two and bottom two rows as well as a couple down both sides to make the "underglow," it could have changed for V2 but doesn't seem likely.

Enjoy your build :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 03:12:18 »
Soldered a Nerd 60 PCB recently myself and you're pretty much right for the most part.  :thumb:

There is no option to use rgb on the Nerd 60 pcb, which tbh is the case for almost any 60% pcb.

'Side LEDs' refers to the LEDs used for the underglow and need to be single color smd like the ones in your link.

For the top of the pcb you actually have two options for LEDs tho, since GONs pcbs feature smd led spots on top of the board aswell.

So you could either go with regular 1.8mm or 2x3x4mm switch LEDs,
or use smd LEDs on top of the pcb aswell.

Pic of Lastpilot's Nerd Crystal build log for reference.

Take note that these are directly on the pcb tho, so top smd really only makes sense combined with a clear plate or at least clear switches.

I believe  Hoffman used top smd with a non transparent plate for his build for example.

Offline zeltner

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 06:04:32 »
Awesome! thanks for the info!

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 06:56:18 »
I'm still undecided what kind of leds I want on top.
In switch or smd  :-X

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 07:11:52 »

Are you comfortable soldering loads of smd parts? xD
Its really not that hard if you have the right equipment and dedication to do this but its still a lot harder compared to soldering in switch LEDs  ;)

I got my Nerd60 with only controller parts soldered.
Going through 400+ smd spots to be soldered for diodes, leds, resistors and bluetooth module parts was pretty time consumeing but made for good practise I guess.  ;D

Presoldered pcbs like the ones from Leandrens gb are less work since resistors for leds and diodes are already presoldered, but going smd is still going to take more dedication then using regular in switch LEDs....

Offline zeltner

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 07:19:44 »
My plan is the following.

Black pcb
Purple plate
Clear case
Gateron Blues
Purple SMD leds for underglow
White in switch leds for backlighting

not sure about keycaps yet.

I think using SMD for the backlighting doesn't make sense for this build since my plate is not clear and the gaterons are not totally clear either. If I were planning to use zealios for this build I would consider the SMDs for the backlight.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 07:32:34 »

Are you comfortable soldering loads of smd parts? xD
Its really not that hard if you have the right equipment and dedication to do this but its still a lot harder compared to soldering in switch LEDs  ;)

I got my Nerd60 with only controller parts soldered.
Going through 400+ smd spots to be soldered for diodes, leds, resistors and bluetooth module parts was pretty time consumeing but made for good practise I guess.  ;D

Presoldered pcbs like the ones from Leandrens gb are less work since resistors for leds and diodes are already presoldered, but going smd is still going to take more dedication then using regular in switch LEDs....

If I get the pre-soldered one from leandren I only have to solder the leds in right?

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 07:37:06 »
If I get the pre-soldered one from leandren I only have to solder the leds in right?

Yesh! Only LEDs and switches basically.

Resisters for the LEDs are already presoldered even if you opt for smd LEDs on top.
(top smd LEDs share the same resistors an in switch)

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 07:39:23 »

Yesh! Only LEDs and switches basically.

Resisters for the LEDs are already presoldered even if you opt for smd LEDs on top.
(top smd LEDs share the same resistors an in switch)

Thanks! :)

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 08:02:20 »
thank you for answering all the questions! Time to look for some 1206 smd leds.

There is no way to mount an led strip to this like the gh60?

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 12:36:43 »
thank you for answering all the questions! Time to look for some 1206 smd leds.

There is no way to mount an led strip to this like the gh60?

No problem, glad if I was able to help!  :)

Not sure how mounting an LED strip works for the gh 60, but it should definitely be possible to mount one on a Nerd60 aswell.

As long as its a 5v LED strip you would pretty much just have to grab a 5v supply somewhere on the pcb, which shouldnt be to hard to find.
There might even be dedicated solder points carrying 5v, so it might even be possible to do so quite clean without having to attach to the usb port directly for example.

So as long as there is enough room in the case for a strip, there should be no problem with installing one as far as I can tell.  :thumb:

Offline johuu

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 09:50:54 »
Which LED is needed for the indicator light?

Offline scotprice

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 20:25:37 »
I just got my NeRD TKL Ver 2.0, and didnt order the smd diodes from GON since it said it is best to use the DIP diodes.  Now, on the PCB there are no pass-through holes for the diodes, and seems like SMD are a must.  Does anybody know what value SMD Diodes to purchase?  Id rather not buy through GON since shipping is $25 no matter what.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 03:55:48 »
That sounds strange but you aren't going to miss 120+ holes in the PCB :))

You need some 1n4148 in 1206 size, preferably not cylindrical as they like rolling away and soldering SMD is fiddly enough without worrying abou that!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline scotprice

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 09:02:45 »
That sounds strange but you aren't going to miss 120+ holes in the PCB :))

You need some 1n4148 in 1206 size, preferably not cylindrical as they like rolling away and soldering SMD is fiddly enough without worrying abou that!

thanks for the info.  I did end up getting cylindrical since it is all I could really find (easily find that is). 
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 August 2016, 09:06:24 by scotprice »