Author Topic: Realforce R3? What gives why is it still not available?  (Read 2508 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
Realforce R3? What gives why is it still not available?
« on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 13:59:05 »
Do any of you have any information on these?  The Realforce R3 was announced 6+ months ago at least and its only been available in japan and its been sold out every single time ive looked. and now RealForce/HHKB has announced the HHKB studo?  seems like they forgot about the R3.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Tribal

Re: Realforce R3? What gives why is it still not available?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 20:30:29 »
I got an R3 (not R3S!) very slightly used off eBay.  It’s easily my best keyboard.  If you’re seriously in the market for R3, buy one.

That said, the manual is entirely in Japanese and some of the Fn commands aren’t the same as R2.  I reached out to Fujitsu USA (hhkeyboard.us, “Realforce R2 & R3 Keyboards with Topre Key Switches - HHKB”) for help after my Ctrl and Caps Lock somehow got switched.  I got a weird reply saying that Fujitsu USA doesn’t sell R3 keyboards and so they could not help me.  This seems like something that would have taken a single email to Fujitsu Japan by them could have resolved (I can’t for the life of me find an email for them myself!), but nothing.  Really off-putting customer service.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 20:50:34 »
I thought they were being sold on mechanicalkeyboards.com apparently not.

https://wafuu.com/en-au/collections/all/products/realforce-topre-r3-keyboard-quiet-hybrid-bluetooth-wireless-wired-printing-englishblack-dark-gray-r3hd11 - this store might sell it, not sure if it's retail though, which you would probably be able to get aftermarket for around retail.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 21:35:35 »
I got an R3 (not R3S!) very slightly used off eBay.  It’s easily my best keyboard.  If you’re seriously in the market for R3, buy one.

That said, the manual is entirely in Japanese and some of the Fn commands aren’t the same as R2.  I reached out to Fujitsu USA (hhkeyboard.us, “Realforce R2 & R3 Keyboards with Topre Key Switches - HHKB”) for help after my Ctrl and Caps Lock somehow got switched.  I got a weird reply saying that Fujitsu USA doesn’t sell R3 keyboards and so they could not help me.  This seems like something that would have taken a single email to Fujitsu Japan by them could have resolved (I can’t for the life of me find an email for them myself!), but nothing.  Really off-putting customer service.

Dip switches?

I want the white metal MAC variant with silent 45g Topre
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Tribal

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 22:11:42 »
Nope; no dip switches.

In terms of feel, I’d put it in the same class as the Leopold fc660c.  The R3 feels almost exactly like a TKL version of the fc660c.  A silenced 45g Topre 65% with Bluetooth, the R3’s heavier case, and with dip switches would be getting asymptotically close to endgame for me.