Author Topic: Rama Works M60-A [SHIPPED]  (Read 303796 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Rama Works M60-A
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 12:37:59 »
Is the PCB hot swappable? Thank you!

Yes, it uses Kailh sockets.

m60-a is going to be my first mech kb, would those kailh sockets work with Zealios?

Yes, anything Cherry MX style, so Cherry/Gateron (Zealio)/Kailh (Box)/etc.

Offline forstsiven

« Reply #201 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 13:04:41 »
Is the PCB hot swappable? Thank you!

Yes, it uses Kailh sockets.

m60-a is going to be my first mech kb, would those kailh sockets work with Zealios?

Yes, anything Cherry MX style, so Cherry/Gateron (Zealio)/Kailh (Box)/etc.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I figured so, but figured I might as well double-check before purchasing.

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #202 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 13:09:15 »
Any update on the sound dampening lining and if it makes any difference?
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline PhantomTaco

« Reply #203 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 15:53:28 »
Any way you could do a render with yuri on lake? if not that's gravy

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #204 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 05:53:29 »

last I heard, RAMA was still testing the sound properties of the mat.

Offline stxfreak

« Reply #205 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 06:32:44 »

I don't think he will update us before he got the new moon prototype next week and puts it all together. I think he said the video for typingtest etc. would be out on wednesday.
TGR Jane V2

Offline Atredl

« Reply #206 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 12:10:37 »

I don't think he will update us before he got the new moon prototype next week and puts it all together. I think he said the video for typingtest etc. would be out on wednesday.
Typing sound video is up on RAMA’s Instagram story. Don’t think it has sound mat, though I could be wrong.

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 12:17:17 »

Typing sound video is up on RAMA’s Instagram story. Don’t think it has sound mat, though I could be wrong.

It's pretty quiet:

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/4055aee94cb7c683fa8bd01212e86673/5ADF2EBA/t50.12441-16/30868810_212113276068717_382089603090603325_n.mp4

Offline pnkpanther65

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 12:18:24 »
THOCK THOCK THOCK

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #209 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 12:20:39 »
Must be using silent switches. Not very conclusive.

Offline stxfreak

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 12:30:47 »
He's using aliaz switches in this video, the internal wight is not built in at that point. It's a preview for the final video they're doing the next days.

TGR Jane V2

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 13:34:53 »
would need a good video test on the youtube channel as for the M6  :thumb:

KMK Labs.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #212 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 21:08:34 »

KMK Labs.

Yep! Moon proto arrived today :) Will be doing the videos over tomorrow (public holiday here in Melbourne) will also show the colour samples more in depth in various lighting! And try out a few different switch types :)
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline Midori

• Formerly loktrevor
  • c:
« Reply #213 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 21:11:31 »

KMK Labs.

Yep! Moon proto arrived today :) Will be doing the videos over tomorrow (public holiday here in Melbourne) will also show the colour samples more in depth in various lighting! And try out a few different switch types :)
MX Zilents? :thinking:

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

TGR Jane v2 | Vulcan Pro | Matrix 8X v2.0 | Bean | hbcp | froge | hype hen

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 02:06:38 »

KMK Labs.

TOP  :thumb:

KMK Labs.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 09:14:10 »
Videos up!

Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 09:33:33 »
Videos up!

Will there be better daughter board cables for production units?

I was sweating when the cables were being plugged in.

Offline zumu

• Professional Typist
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 10:24:45 »
I didn't see any samples if the Mist color? Is it supposed to be the same as the macro pad on the left? That is to say, will it be shiny instead of matte like the other cases?

Offline up-in

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 12:35:49 »
Videos up!

When is pre order end if i still want to change the color? I chose Moon because it's the safest color to pair with any keycaps but it is boring imo. Dusk and Lake are just too god irl.

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 13:29:11 »
I believe Rama extended the pre-order to April 30th.

Offline bball2

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 14:22:24 »
When is pre order end if i still want to change the color? I chose Moon because it's the safest color to pair with any keycaps but it is boring imo. Dusk and Lake are just too god irl.

I think I'm on the same page as you, ordered mist, but might have to change it to Sage or Lake after the video  :cool:

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 16:26:46 »
How did you end up using flat head screws? I hate those more than any  :(

Offline Lisinge

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 16:28:01 »
What happened with the switch holes on the grey one? :D

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #223 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 19:31:38 »

They were revised from the first prototype. Now they touch the switch more on the left/right sides, all the way to the corners.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 20:28:24 »
How did you end up using flat head screws? I hate those more than any  :(

That's just for the prototype, production will have Phillips head for all internal :)
I just personally enjoy the look of slotted screws haha

You have until the 30th to adjust the colors :) You can email support@rama.works (or better just reply to your order confirmation email) and I can adjust it :)

I didn't see any samples if the Mist color? Is it supposed to be the same as the macro pad on the left? That is to say, will it be shiny instead of matte like the other cases?

Mist/Kuro will be the same finish/shinyness as the other anodized sample blocks just in those colours :) 

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 05:48:28 »
I came here to ask this too.

Offline Lisinge

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 06:03:01 »

They were revised from the first prototype. Now they touch the switch more on the left/right sides, all the way to the corners.

Cool, thanks! I spoke to rama about this before because i found it odd to have switch-top removable holes on a board with hotswap sockets :p

Offline MoebiuS451

« Reply #227 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:22:00 »
Hello, do you have any renders (from above and isometric) with SP SA keysets (for instance Carbon SA with Dusk, Dolch SA with Sage or Dasher SA with Lake) ?

Hello, you still don't have renders for SA keysets ? At least from above to assess color matching, like Carbon SA, Miami SA, Dasher SA with Lake, Troubled Mind SA with sage....

The easy choice would be the grey but I have yet many cnc grey cases...
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 April 2018, 14:41:56 by MoebiuS451 »

Offline DePulse

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:26:47 »
Is it possible to pay thru paypal? Kinda wanna use 2 of my credit cards for this. My card limit is not enough for 1 lol I need a split payment transcation  :( really want these so bad

Offline Puree

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:43:44 »

This  :thumb:

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #230 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:46:41 »
Is it possible to pay thru paypal? Kinda wanna use 2 of my credit cards for this. My card limit is not enough for 1 lol I need a split payment transcation  :( really want these so bad

It's possible to pay through paypal but idk if you can split payments up. You might wanna PM or email RAMA to work that out.

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:50:42 »
Hello, do you have any renders (from above and isometric) with SP SA keysets (for instance Carbon SA with Dusk, Dolch SA with Sage or Dasher SA with Lake) ?

Hello, you still don't have renders for SA keysets ? At least from above to asses color matching, like Carbon SA, Miami SA, Dasher SA with Lake, Troubled Mind SA with sage....

The easy choice would be the grey but I have yet many cnc grey cases...

this Saturday the video will be released with SA keyset and other switches  :thumb:

KMK Labs.

P.s. however it would have been nice to add the colors of the type C cable as the colors of the cases to make the product more complete.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:51:16 »
Does the PCB fit standard sixty cases?

Offline DePulse

« Reply #233 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 09:21:34 »

It's possible to pay through paypal but idk if you can split payments up. You might wanna PM or email RAMA to work that out.

I will try to pm Rama. Maybe there is an option.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:14:06 »
Does the PCB fit standard sixty cases?

it uses a daughterboard, so i think not
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Cas

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 04:20:12 »
is there any real photo on kuro colour sample?, i have a hard choice between moon and kuro

Offline monkt

« Reply #236 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 18:28:02 »
This is a keyboard that I'm hoping would last me a very long time. So, lets say I fry the pcb down the line, are there readily available alternate pcbs that would work/fit with this case if spares of the original were no longer available? Or would it more or less become a very beautiful, but expensive paperweight?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #237 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 19:00:29 »
This is a keyboard that I'm hoping would last me a very long time. So, lets say I fry the pcb down the line, are there readily available alternate pcbs that would work/fit with this case if spares of the original were no longer available? Or would it more or less become a very beautiful, but expensive paperweight?

Sorry for the repost, KingRama, I'm interested as to whether individual PCBs will be for sale in your store after the conclusion of the GB?

We always buy extra PCB's to stock on-hand for support/replacement related things, but these are typically not available for immediate purchase through the site. For instance we have about 30-40 spare M6-A PCB's at the moment :)

:thumb:

Offline monkt

« Reply #238 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 19:24:04 »

Sorry for the repost, KingRama, I'm interested as to whether individual PCBs will be for sale in your store after the conclusion of the GB?

We always buy extra PCB's to stock on-hand for support/replacement related things, but these are typically not available for immediate purchase through the site. For instance we have about 30-40 spare M6-A PCB's at the moment :)

I was thinking about the possibility of the vendor no longer being able to provide a replacement pcb, say in 2-4 yrs. At this price, I'd like to know whether any alternate 60% pcbs would be a viable option, or if the design of the case makes that impossible without some kind of modification.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #239 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 19:25:06 »

I was thinking about the possibility of the vendor no longer being able to provide a replacement pcb, say in 2-4 yrs. At this price, I'd like to know whether any alternate 60% pcbs would be a viable option, or if the design of the case makes that impossible without some kind of modification.

Rama is going to be around for a while.

The PCB is not standard.

Offline moitorpsychoo

« Reply #240 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 19:27:08 »

I have the same concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 19:31:03 »
Rama being around in 2-4 years does not necessarily mean the pcb will still be around as well. Tbh, I had the same concerns, but then I realized the only reason I'd need a pcb is if there was some sort of manufacturing fault that caused the pcb to die out in let's say 2 years. Then again, if my garbage razer made it for 2 years, I have no reason to think that the m60a would last me any less.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #242 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 19:42:35 »
Rama being around in 2-4 years does not necessarily mean the pcb will still be around as well. Tbh, I had the same concerns, but then I realized the only reason I'd need a pcb is if there was some sort of manufacturing fault that caused the pcb to die out in let's say 2 years. Then again, if my garbage razer made it for 2 years, I have no reason to think that the m60a would last me any less.

The PCB's will be continued to be made, some of our products down the line will be using the exact same PCB :)

is there any real photo on kuro colour sample?, i have a hard choice between moon and kuro

Unfortunately not, black anodisation is pretty consistent across all products (it's mainly just surface finish which changes the appearance) - it'll be same surface finish as the other samples, just black :)

You can buy giftcards using different cards then pay using giftcards :)

That was a prototype cable, we have another which is shrouded - we're still evaluating what works best for the board - the one that was shown is super durable (however it most likely will be coupled together rather loose if we use that one)

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #243 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 19:53:25 »

The PCB's will be continued to be made, some of our products down the line will be using the exact same PCB :)

That's great news Rama, thanks for chiming in. It definitely puts my mind at ease now :)

One last question, I'm wondering if you could chime in on what percentage of total orders include an internal weight? I don't need an exact percentage, anything off the top of your head will suffice. I'm having a hard time deciding so I figure I would just go with the popular vote.

Offline monkt

« Reply #244 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 19:57:15 »

I've seen a couple of people mention frying their pcb with static electric discharge. I get that pretty bad in the winter where I live, and with this being an all metal case, it seemed like something I should consider.

Also, aren't these hot swap pcbs a relatively new design? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But if so, the durability of the hot swap feature may not yet be proven. In which case, it might well become necessary to find a replacement.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #245 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 20:00:51 »

I've seen a couple of people mention frying their pcb with static electric discharge. I get that pretty bad in the winter where I live, and with this being an all metal case, it seemed like something I should consider.

Also, aren't these hot swap pcbs a relatively new design? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But if so, the durability of the hot swap feature may not yet be proven. In which case, it might well become necessary to find a replacement.

I believe that issue was more with the nylon bottom's but I'm not up to date on M65-A stuff.

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #246 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 20:03:05 »

The static charge issue was with the m65a and is believed to be a result of the nylon base, which isn't a problem for this kit.

You are right in that long term consumer testing has not been done with hotswap pcbs. I would imagine, just like with everything else, there will be wear and tear over time as you take out switches and replace them. How many times of switch switching will it take until the tolerance becomes too loose and a good connection isn't made with the switch pins? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that. I would like to believe that kailh has tested this and wouldn't release this technology unless it could handle over 100 times of taking a switch out and putting it back in.

Nonetheless, Rama said he will continue supporting the pcb, and Mike from novelkeys also sells the kailh hotswap sockets indicidually. So future proofing is definitely available. My mind is at complete ease now.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #247 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 20:05:09 »

Kaihua does pretty thorough stress testing on all their products. I wouldn’t have any concerns with their durability.

Offline monkt

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 21:54:52 »
The static charge issue was with the m65a and is believed to be a result of the nylon base, which isn't a problem for this kit.

You are right in that long term consumer testing has not been done with hotswap pcbs. I would imagine, just like with everything else, there will be wear and tear over time as you take out switches and replace them. How many times of switch switching will it take until the tolerance becomes too loose and a good connection isn't made with the switch pins? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that. I would like to believe that kailh has tested this and wouldn't release this technology unless it could handle over 100 times of taking a switch out and putting it back in.

Nonetheless, Rama said he will continue supporting the pcb, and Mike from novelkeys also sells the kailh hotswap sockets indicidually. So future proofing is definitely available. My mind is at complete ease now.

Thanks. I actually tried to phrase my comment so as to not blame the Rama board. I don't have personal experience with it. What I do have experience with is shocking the hell out of my macbook this past winter, probably about a hundred times all together. Sometimes I feel like a walking Tesla coil. So really it's not that I have any complaint regarding Rama's design--it's my own body that gives me pause. And given that, I have to question the wisdom of getting myself an all metal board like this, as beautiful as it is. If I knew I could easily get non-proprietary replacement parts every time a minor electrical explosion burst forth from my fingertip, I might feel a little better. That being said, I really do want one, in about three different colors.

Offline Lisinge

« Reply #249 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 03:57:28 »

That's great news Rama, thanks for chiming in. It definitely puts my mind at ease now :)

One last question, I'm wondering if you could chime in on what percentage of total orders include an internal weight? I don't need an exact percentage, anything off the top of your head will suffice. I'm having a hard time deciding so I figure I would just go with the popular vote.

When i asked, which was end of march to be fair, but then the number was about 60%.
I thought about this for some time too. But i ended on getting the internal weight because i really like a hefty board and i wanted to make this board as luxurious as possible :D