Author Topic: Recommended: Official GeekHack Laminated Key Checking and Layout Sheet  (Read 7846 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
I guess you could consider this a review, of sorts, but I ordered a GeekHack Fund Raiser Gold Pack from TechKeys this week. My primary reason for purchasing the pack, other than to help support GeekHack.org, was for the GeekHack keys since I'm now attempting to collect them. The caps themselves are awesome, but the biggest surprise to me was the "Official GeekHack Laminated Key Checking and Layout Sheet".

Since getting back into mechanical keyboards over the last couple of months, I've purchased a KBT Race and a KBT Pure. As I look at all the group buys for key sets, I naturally want to be buy some and make sure that I'm getting the right sets. Both of my KBT series boards have some subtleties and it was a bit unclear to know if I needed to buy a Tsangan or not, or hunt for extra keys.

Maybe I'm a little slow, or simply need something tactile for information to get into my head, (Heh heh, maybe that would explain my love of clicky keyboards  :p ), but being able to pop off a key cap and place it on the GeekHack Key Check sheet for measurement has been a big help.

If you're new to mechanical keyboards, as I am, then I highly recommend that you pick up this pack just so you can get this sheet. As a bonus, you can also:

- Try out the IMSTO thick PBT that you read so much about
- Get two kick ass GeekHack ABS doubleshot G&H keys as well as a modifier keys
- Feel the difference between ABS and PBT  with the GeekHack PBT dyesub esc key
- Get a random novelty key (it's like Cracker Jacks!)
- And of course support your beloved GeekHack in the process.

Highly recommended and thank you TechKeys for putting together such a wonderful pack.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Recommended: Official GeekHack Laminated Key Checking and Layout Sheet
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 15:15:24 »
I actually just snagged one of those PBT caps but I didn't know that it was PBT. I just thought it was a really sweet GH key. Now I'm really excited to get it.

When I bought the January GH pack, I just bought the sheet a la carte. I kinda wish I bought the whole thing now. But I'm excited to get the sheet since I've been wondering where people got it from. I've been seeing that on GH since Day 1 and didn't realize I could get it myself.

Come on package....get here sooner!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 18:04:11 »
And it's laminated as well, bonus :)

Just be sure NOT to cut your envelope open.  And hopefully the postal service does not bend it.  Mind has a slight crease in one end - could have been much worse.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline i3oilermaker

• techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 21:57:48 »
After your debacle, I started writing on each package "DO NOT CUT" on the edge and also "DO NOT BEND" in huge letters.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 23:16:27 »
I saw the "do not cut", but I was aware of that anyway.  I am always careful opening packages.

Someone, Australia Post?, managed to put a small crease in the right side.  It's noticeable, but the laminating has not split, and does not detract from it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 09:33:02 »
After your debacle, I started writing on each package "DO NOT CUT" on the edge and also "DO NOT BEND" in huge letters.

Yep! My package was well labeled and thankfully the postman paid attention.  :D

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 09:35:00 »
LOL.

Mine is quite wrinkled. Its between the mattress and the bedboard now, flattening under my big fat ass  :)) :))

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 11:35:56 »
When I bought the January GH pack, I just bought the sheet a la carte. I kinda wish I bought the whole thing now. But I'm excited to get the sheet since I've been wondering where people got it from. I've been seeing that on GH since Day 1 and didn't realize I could get it myself.

http://www.techkeys.us/accessories.php

Check the bottom option of the drop down box in the bottom right hand corner.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 17:54:38 »

http://www.techkeys.us/accessories.php

Check the bottom option of the drop down box in the bottom right hand corner.

Thanks but in my previous post, I said I already bought it  :p. Maybe my comment was too long winded though.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 17:58:06 »
I read it, but you said you wished you had bought the whole thing. You only got the one key, not the other three.

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 18:03:53 »
Yeah, I ordered one too, looking forward to it :))
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 19:09:51 »
I read it, but you said you wished you had bought the whole thing. You only got the one key, not the other three.

Fair enough. Thanks for the link  :D

Edit: I got my sheet today. And luckily for me, the Post Office thought it'd be nice to follow i3oiler's directions.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 January 2013, 16:28:39 by CPTBadAss »