Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3496813 times)

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #11700 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 17:27:41 »
I've seen a few boards with white "jelly" POM keycaps. Are these for sale somewhere online?

Feng and I think imsto had them. They're kinda hard to come by.

I dunno if you're into the aesthetics or just want to try POM. But if you want to try POM, you can find them pretty easily on old Cherry boards. G81-XXXXL boards that are black are typically lasered POM.

Not whites, but there are still a few pink, green and yellow ones.

Also, there are a few threads like this one or this one with load of people showing interest...
So for any one interested definitely leave Feng a post in one of these to support the jelly pom movement! <3<3<3

Offline Hyp3rParadise

« Reply #11701 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 19:00:21 »
what are some free mechanical keyboard mods that i can do at home that would be beneficial for my razer blackwidow chroma

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11702 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 19:03:34 »
what are some free mechanical keyboard mods that i can do at home that would be beneficial for my razer blackwidow chroma
Get a refund and buy a different keyboard?

But seriously, do you have the equipment and/or inclination to desolder and solder a keyboard? If so, we can recommend some good things. Otherwise you are limited to things like o-rings or landing pads.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline random_rockets

« Reply #11703 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 23:35:51 »
Q: My shift key gets stuck sometimes and is slow to reset. Upon inspection it seems the stabilizer is at fault but I am not sure what is wrong with it. For reference I am using a KBP v60 with clears that has the cherry stabs but with the wire going under the plate.

What should I troubleshoot before I have to desolder all my switches to fix that guy?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #11704 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 01:48:31 »
is it true that typing on topre is like typing on piano?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11705 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 01:55:43 »
I guess topre feels more like a piano then Cherry switches would be, but I wouldn't use piano keys as a good comparison to topre.

Offline choc

« Reply #11706 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 03:18:18 »

false. no do rai mi fa so :p

Offline choc

« Reply #11707 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 03:24:17 »
Typing on mx black / piano, which requires more force to press down, and which causes fatigue faster?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #11708 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 05:27:56 »

Q: My shift key gets stuck sometimes and is slow to reset. Upon inspection it seems the stabilizer is at fault but I am not sure what is wrong with it. For reference I am using a KBP v60 with clears that has the cherry stabs but with the wire going under the plate.

What should I troubleshoot before I have to desolder all my switches to fix that guy?

Make sure both ends of the wire are clipped well into the plastic part. If one side is outit an bind.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #11709 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 06:54:15 »
How often do LZ group buys happen? I want one. Bad.

Any advice for coping also welcome.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11710 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 07:02:36 »

I think the feel is much different, but in your analogy, I think beam spring would be closest to a piano.

Typing on Topre is an experience you can compare to something you already know, though. You have typed on a rubber dome keyboard before, yes? That's what Topre is like.

No hate. I have two HHKBs, and I love them. But they feel like a rubber dome, because that's what they are. The best, smoothest, most high quality rubber dome over a capacitive PCB.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11711 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 07:24:23 »
How often do LZ group buys happen? I want one. Bad.

Any advice for coping also welcome.

Not too often. LZ has had some issues in the past on GH so I believe they're currently banned from selling here. I think you need to get them imported which makes them harder to come by.

Typing on mx black / piano, which requires more force to press down, and which causes fatigue faster?

Piano. I don't really like the Topre vs Piano discussion because they're not really related.

Offline choc

« Reply #11712 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 07:53:54 »

Piano. I don't really like the Topre vs Piano discussion because they're not really related.

Well, I am a bit worrying about if I can use my mx black as my daily driver. I type and game a lot. I used to play piano but have forget that feeling. :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2015, 08:18:21 by choc »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11713 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 08:05:04 »
Well, I am a bit worrying about if I can use my mx black as my daily driver. I type and game a lot. I used to play piano but have forget that feeling. :p

Using an MX black keyboard as a daily driver shouldn't be a problem, unless you have a really bad RSI already. Blacks were made for general use...just look at all the Cherry and WYSE keyboards that used them.

in memoriam

Offline choc

« Reply #11714 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 08:22:19 »

Using an MX black keyboard as a daily driver shouldn't be a problem, unless you have a really bad RSI already. Blacks were made for general use...just look at all the Cherry and WYSE keyboards that used them.

Cause I've heard people here and there say mx black make them fatigue. :confused:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11715 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 08:25:06 »
Cause I've heard people here and there say mx black make them fatigue. :confused:

The problem is that what people say and what you will feel are two different things. People love Topre. I don't. It hurts my hands. So the best research you can do is to get your hands on something to try it out for yourself.

I don't know where you are but if you're in the USA, stores like Microcenter will let you try switches and keyboards. You can try asking people in the Free Stuff thread to send you a few Blacks to try out. I highly suggest trying the switch out for yourself.

I would also say if you've played piano, you'll probably be fine with MX Blacks.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #11716 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 08:47:43 »
What's the story with Korean custom keyboards? I gather that's not the name of a company but just a designation for projects built by enthusiasts in Korea, such as the Orion v2. Is that correct? And if so, what makes them different from non-Korean customs? And where does the TX1800 fall in all this?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11717 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 08:51:22 »
What's the story with Korean custom keyboards? I gather that's not the name of a company but just a designation for projects built by enthusiasts in Korea, such as the Orion v2. Is that correct? And if so, what makes them different from non-Korean customs? And where does the TX1800 fall in all this?

Korean customs are custom keyboards made in Korea. They come from various keyboarding communities like KBDlab, OTD, kbdmania, etc. They're different from non-Korean customs because they're made in Korea where others are made in China or Europe or the USA. They're popular because of their nice case and PCB designs.

TX1800? Pretty sure it's a custom case and PCB for a keyboard kit designed in Korea so it's a Korean custom.

They have a high volume of custom boards that aren't one-offs so it's easier to lump them into a category. GH, DT, r/mk, etc have had less high number, customized keyboards so the community has yet to name a category for them.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11718 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 08:58:13 »

Korean customs are custom keyboards made in Korea. They come from various keyboarding communities like KBDlab, OTD, kbdmania, etc. They're different from non-Korean customs because they're made in Korea where others are made in China or Europe or the USA. They're popular because of their nice case and PCB designs.

TX1800? Pretty sure it's a custom case and PCB for a keyboard kit designed in Korea so it's a Korean custom.

They have a high volume of custom boards that aren't one-offs so it's easier to lump them into a category. GH, DT, r/mk, etc have had less high number, customized keyboards so the community has yet to name a category for them.

So basically it's just that Korea has a more active custom keyboard community, so they've gotten better at it over time, and maybe the higher volume helps improve overall production cost & quality. So the only thing which separates a western custom keyboard from a Korean custom (besides geography) is the degree of interest and a bit of manufacturing experience. Is that pretty much it?

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11719 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:06:20 »
So basically it's just that Korea has a more active custom keyboard community, so they've gotten better at it over time, and maybe the higher volume helps improve overall production cost & quality. So the only thing which separates a western custom keyboard from a Korean custom (besides geography) is the degree of interest and a bit of manufacturing experience. Is that pretty much it?

I don't really know how they get manufacturers to work with them. In the US, from my own experience, trying to find a shop that will do low number runs (read 20-50) will typically mean the prices are relatively high (Read $500-600 for a 60% case after machining and finishing - that's the quote I was given from one shop).

It seems to me that the Korean communites have a much more dedicated DIY/custom maker culture with the goal of selling a decent amount of boards. The communities I'm familiar with (GH, DT, r/mk) have a DIY culture but it seems more geared towards one-offs right now. That being said the Ergo-dox, Skeldon, GHPad, Epsilon, Infinity, JD40, and the Atomic/Planck boards are all something to check out.

Manufacturing experience? I think it's actually equal.

Really the difference is that they have teams that have the express goal of making custom keyboards for sale. We don't. They have a higher number of these teams and produce a higher volume of custom keyboards. Plus they're usually pretty cool. Could that change? Absolutely.

So TL:DR - I still stick by the geography statement. And don't forget there are many other communities out there (Chinese, DT, European, Vietnamese, etc) which are making stuff but I'm not as in tune with them as Geekhack.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:33:05 by CPTBadAss »

Offline choc

« Reply #11720 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:12:50 »

The problem is that what people say and what you will feel are two different things. People love Topre. I don't. It hurts my hands. So the best research you can do is to get your hands on something to try it out for yourself.

I don't know where you are but if you're in the USA, stores like Microcenter will let you try switches and keyboards. You can try asking people in the Free Stuff thread to send you a few Blacks to try out. I highly suggest trying the switch out for yourself.

I would also say if you've played piano, you'll probably be fine with MX Blacks.

In fact, I've owned red/black/brown/blue, and after several days' tests, I found I prefer linear and return brown/blue. Then I kept heavy using red/black for about 20 days, and slightly prefer black for stronger feedback. Both work quite fine, never fatigue me.

Now I have only 3 days left before the return deadline. Some said they've used black daily very well for the first few months or years, but finally seek for another lighter switch(for more easiness/less fatigue).

So.....I am a bit afraid I'll regret, or I have to keep them both. :rolleyes:

Offline vmod

« Reply #11721 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 09:47:21 »
Could anyone tell me how much would it cost me to build my own mechanical keyboard?

I could buy a few used Cherry MX Blue Switches full-size keyboards ( 2 or 3 ) for about $10/each. I was thinking I could de-solder the switches and use the switches to build a new keyboard. Is it advisable to do so? I mean use old switches for a new keyboard.

I've read a few threads about building keyboards and saw a few videos and most of the skills required are either done by me or doable.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much would it cost?

From what I gathered here are the things I would need ( please feel free to correct me and add any missing info )

- Switches : I could desolder from the old ones and use if that is possible )
- Soldering iron ( have it ). Would need a desoldering iron  and diodes.
- Microcontoller : I've read Teensey is the best one to go for but I am not sure about this one yet, also a thread to flashing it and getting the right firmware for it is still a mystery to me. Some help please.
- PCB - I could only find Phantom PCB which too isn't available that much. Most discussions say design you own and get it. I am not sure how. Some help please.
- Plate and Case. I think I could rig up a case but if they are available easily please point me to there.

Even if this sounds like a bad idea to you, please share some information at least I would know the information I lack and would help me in future.

Edit : Also if nothing at all, should I just get those keyboards and keep for spare switches?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:05:54 by vmod »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11722 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:20:47 »

should I just get those keyboards and keep for spare switches?

Yes, get the keyboards and use them for a while. If you have to cannibalize 1 or more to build a good working specimen, do that.

Get familiar with various switches and existing layouts before you go off to re-invent the wheel.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11723 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:27:26 »
In fact, I've owned red/black/brown/blue, and after several days' tests, I found I prefer linear and return brown/blue. Then I kept heavy using red/black for about 20 days, and slightly prefer black for stronger feedback. Both work quite fine, never fatigue me.

Now I have only 3 days left before the return deadline. Some said they've used black daily very well for the first few months or years, but finally seek for another lighter switch(for more easiness/less fatigue).

So.....I am a bit afraid I'll regret, or I have to keep them both. :rolleyes:

Seems like you're keeping the Blacks since you like them? Switches are personal preference. You like Blacks. Keep them then. Can't see why you'd regret something you tried out and tested for yourself.

Could anyone tell me how much would it cost me to build my own mechanical keyboard?

I could buy a few used Cherry MX Blue Switches full-size keyboards ( 2 or 3 ) for about $10/each. I was thinking I could de-solder the switches and use the switches to build a new keyboard. Is it advisable to do so? I mean use old switches for a new keyboard.

I've read a few threads about building keyboards and saw a few videos and most of the skills required are either done by me or doable.

From what I gathered here are the things I would need ( please feel free to correct me and add any missing info )

- Microcontoller : I've read Teensey is the best one to go for but I am not sure about this one yet, also a thread to flashing it and getting the right firmware for it is still a mystery to me. Some help please.
- PCB - I could only find Phantom PCB which too isn't available that much. Most discussions say design you own and get it. I am not sure how. Some help please.
- Plate and Case. I think I could rig up a case but if they are available easily please point me to there.

Even if this sounds like a bad idea to you, please share some information at least I would know the information I lack and would help me in future.

Edit : Also if nothing at all, should I just get those keyboards and keep for spare switches?

Thank you.

- Switches : $10 since you can source them for $10
- Soldering iron ( have it ). Would need a desoldering iron  and diodes : Desoldering tool will run about $20
- Diodes = I think they're like 5-10 cents a piece on Mouser? I believe the price changes if they're inswitch or SMD
- Microcontoller : Teensy runs about $20. Many people like using TMK or Soarer's code
- PCB: If you buy one, it can range from $30-60+. Phantom is available as well as the Infinity, GON, and other custom ones. If you want to design one, many people like using KiCAD. Check the Making Stuff Together forum for more examples.
- Plate and Case: Plate will run $30-50 if you buy one or maybe more if you design one. Swill's plate tool might be interesting to you. Case? $10-$1000+. Depends on what kind of case and materials you want.

Your list is missing solder and keycaps. Also if you decide you want to handwire a keyboard, you'll need hookup or magnet wire.

Could you just pick up the keyboards and keep them for spare switches? I would for $10. And I like fohat.dig's statement.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11724 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 10:29:42 »

I don't really know how they get manufacturers to work with them. In the US, from my own experience, trying to find a shop that will do low number runs (read 20-50) will typically mean the prices are relatively high (Read $500-600 for a 60% case after machining and finishing - that's the quote I was given from one shop).

It seems to me that the Korean communites have a much more dedicated DIY/custom maker culture with the goal of selling a decent amount of boards. The communities I'm familiar with (GH, DT, r/mk) have a DIY culture but it seems more geared towards one-offs right now. That being said the Ergo-dox, Skeldon, GHPad, Epsilon, Infinity, and the Atomic/Planck boards are all something to check out.

Really the difference is that they have teams that have the express goal of making custom keyboards for sale. We don't. They have a higher number of these teams and produce a higher volume of custom keyboards. Plus they're usually pretty cool. Could that change? Absolutely.

So TL:DR - I still stick by the geography statement. And don't forget there are many other communities out there (Chinese, DT, European, Vietnamese, etc) which are making stuff but I'm not as in tune with them as Geekhack.

I guess the good CPT doesn't like his JD40 or JD45. :'(

j/k bro

Part of the discrepancy with regard to the custom scene in Korea versus here is that, it seems the keyboard community in Korea is represented more by a section of the population that would be considered affluent. They have the funds to front the costs of producing a run of 50-100 keyboards, and sell them once they are made. Traditionally, with GH/DT/etc the mode has been to do a group buy to crowd source the funding before production. This has been the source of much angst, with delays and other pitfalls making the buys less than stellar successes. The Phantom group buy went fairly well, from what I remember, but there was no case offered with it. And of course we all know the continuing saga that has been the GH60 group buy.

There are people in this community working behind the scenes to bring Korean-quality offerings to GH, but it takes a little while to get those things started. Hopefully, once those projects start to become reality, we will see even more of them coming along.

in memoriam

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11725 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 11:01:55 »

It seems to me that the Korean communites have a much more dedicated DIY/custom maker culture with the goal of selling a decent amount of boards. The communities I'm familiar with (GH, DT, r/mk) have a DIY culture but it seems more geared towards one-offs right now. That being said the Ergo-dox, Skeldon, GHPad, Epsilon, Infinity, JD40, and the Atomic/Planck boards are all something to check out.

Not totwlly sure how it would factor in, but from what I've heard, it also has something to do with the number of heavily specialized shops there. Forgot where I heard it, but basically they said that instead of having large stores that have decent selections of everything like Walmart and such, they have lots of small stores that specialize heavily in one or two things. So these small machining shops get enough business that they can afford to do smaller runs of things more cheaply. But I obviously don't know enough about South Korea to be totally sure
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11726 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 11:12:37 »

Not totwlly sure how it would factor in, but from what I've heard, it also has something to do with the number of heavily specialized shops there. Forgot where I heard it, but basically they said that instead of having large stores that have decent selections of everything like Walmart and such, they have lots of small stores that specialize heavily in one or two things. So these small machining shops get enough business that they can afford to do smaller runs of things more cheaply. But I obviously don't know enough about South Korea to be totally sure

This kind of retail environment makes sense for a country about the size of a single U.S. state. Who needs a Walmart when a specialty shop is just a maglev trip away? Big box stores only make sense in the U.S. where you may be buying goods which were manufactured 3,000 miles away.

My boards:
More

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #11727 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:55:12 »

I think the feel is much different, but in your analogy, I think beam spring would be closest to a piano.

Typing on Topre is an experience you can compare to something you already know, though. You have typed on a rubber dome keyboard before, yes? That's what Topre is like.

No hate. I have two HHKBs, and I love them. But they feel like a rubber dome, because that's what they are. The best, smoothest, most high quality rubber dome over a capacitive PCB.

Guess I need to try beam spring now...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11728 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 21:56:16 »

Thank you.

- Soldering iron ( have it ). Would need a desoldering iron  and diodes : Desoldering tool will run about $20
- Diodes = I think they're like 5-10 cents a piece on Mouser? I believe the price changes if they're inswitch or SMD
- Microcontoller : Teensy runs about $20. Many people like using TMK or Soarer's code
- PCB: If you buy one, it can range from $30-60+. Phantom is available as well as the Infinity, GON, and other custom ones. If you want to design one, many people like using KiCAD. Check the Making Stuff Together forum for more examples.
- Plate and Case: Plate will run $30-50 if you buy one or maybe more if you design one. Swill's plate tool might be interesting to you. Case? $10-$1000+. Depends on what kind of case and materials you want.

Your list is missing solder and keycaps. Also if you decide you want to handwire a keyboard, you'll need hookup or magnet wire.

Could you just pick up the keyboards and keep them for spare switches? I would for $10. And I like fohat.dig's statement.

Can this be stickied into something like a "how much will it cost me to build my own keyboard" thread please?

Often new members will say they want to build their own keyboard with X switches, Y case and so on, and ask how much it would cost and where to get the parts.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #11729 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 22:27:32 »
to practice soldering switches, i'm thinking of acquiring some cheap, barebone PCBs through the classifieds and work on those. how does that sound?

Offline vmod

« Reply #11730 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 03:43:42 »

Yes, get the keyboards and use them for a while. If you have to cannibalize 1 or more to build a good working specimen, do that.

Get familiar with various switches and existing layouts before you go off to re-invent the wheel.

The fact is I've not used anything apart from blue and red(few days) yet. I think you're right, I should first try all switches before I end up on the path to make my own keyboard. That would definitely help me nail the right switch for me I guess.

Ya I think I would go with fohat.dig's advice. Push this for later after I try most switches I can and find which one suits me the best and then jump into making my own.

By the way awesome info. Thanks. This is what I was looking for, now I've a rough idea of  what to gather over the span on year after which I would make the keyboard.
Oh yay forgot to include keycaps and its costing. But that is something I am not worried about at all, the availability of keycaps is in abundance.
IMO, Handwiring looks like a very messy and risky job though.

You are very kind sir, always been helpful.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2015, 03:46:32 by vmod »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11731 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 16:11:28 »
to practice soldering switches, i'm thinking of acquiring some cheap, barebone PCBs through the classifieds and work on those. how does that sound?

Sounds good. Old electronics like VCRs have also been suggested to me.

More

Thank you.

Can this be stickied into something like a "how much will it cost me to build my own keyboard" thread please?

Often new members will say they want to build their own keyboard with X switches, Y case and so on, and ask how much it would cost and where to get the parts.

Done
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2015, 16:21:01 by CPTBadAss »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11732 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 17:10:37 »
to practice soldering switches, i'm thinking of acquiring some cheap,

For $25 each (or less, if you are lucky):

Buy a Dell AT101(W) for a chassis and an Apple Extended Keyboard (or II) for a donor and do your practice soldering and de-soldering on the Apple.

You can take the Apple completely apart for practice, and after you are finished with the project, you will have a perfectly good working keyboard and partial set of spare Alps caps.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11733 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 18:00:21 »
With using an IBM F keyboard naked, no case, would there be any detrimental effects of using magnets on the back plate?  The would be stationary.  What I was thinking for a skeleton case would just be a couple pieces of plate with a counterbored hole for N52 rare earth magnets. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #11734 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 18:11:08 »
Old electronics like VCRs have also been suggested to me.
eh, the idea of taking home a clunky and obsolete VCR doesn't seem very appealing to me

Buy a Dell AT101(W) for a chassis and an Apple Extended Keyboard (or II) for a donor and do your practice soldering and de-soldering on the Apple.

You can take the Apple completely apart for practice, and after you are finished with the project, you will have a perfectly good working keyboard and partial set of spare Alps caps.
i like this, having a clear goal does make it sound more fun. thanks for the suggestion
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2015, 18:15:41 by whentheclouds »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11735 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 22:35:15 »
Anyone know the likelihood of me finding one of these?

http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=76
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11736 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 22:36:58 »
Will Model M2 caps fit on a Model M and vice versa? The M2's caps are single-piece, right?

Thanks.

Edit: Also, how similar are the Matias tactile switches to orange Alps? I got a board with orange Alps today (m0116) and so far I really like the switches, so I'm considering getting a board at some point using similar switches in a standard layout.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2015, 23:01:51 by Ludovician »
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11737 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 23:04:51 »
Anyone know the likelihood of me finding one of these?

http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=76

45.674% :P

Will Model M2 caps fit on a Model M and vice versa? The M2's caps are single-piece, right?

Yes they are one piece.

Technically yes they'll fit but the clearances on the case make them actuate oddly. I wasn't happy with Model M caps on my M2.

With using an IBM F keyboard naked, no case, would there be any detrimental effects of using magnets on the back plate?  The would be stationary.  What I was thinking for a skeleton case would just be a couple pieces of plate with a counterbored hole for N52 rare earth magnets. 

I'm going to go with yes but that's a guess.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #11739 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 04:49:52 »
Is there any place outside of taobao that sells white costar stab mounts?
I only see white inserts. Also odd that there aren't black inserts either, even though I only want white.
Does no one else care to have matching stabs for all the Gaterons that were bought?
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #11740 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 08:37:20 »
WTF is up with the shark girls?

Five different people's avatars: http://imgur.com/a/qYjZZ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11741 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 08:38:22 »
I only see white inserts. Also odd that there aren't black inserts either, even though I only want white.
Does no one else care to have matching stabs for all the Gaterons that were bought?

WAS keyboards has costar stabilizers.

I honestly couldn't care about matching stabilizer colors. Or even clear switch tops and stickers. Hard to care about something you'll see maybe once a month. Rest of the time it's covered by keycaps.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11742 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 09:19:14 »
WTF is up with the shark girls?

Five different people's avatars: http://imgur.com/a/qYjZZ

This absolutely won't help clear things up, but here goes: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42336.0

My boards:
More

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11743 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 18:49:38 »
I don't think I've ever seen black costar inserts

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline sypl

« Reply #11744 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 20:04:14 »
What diameter and thickness shoud o-rings be for cherry keys? I just wanna get generic ones at a hardware store.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11745 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 20:06:51 »
Do switch panel cutouts generally work with both Matias and Cherry switches? I ordered two Infinity keyboard kits--one hacker layout with Matias switches and one standard layout with Cherry switches. But I'm thinking about switching those around and doing the hacker layout with cherries.

My boards:
More

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #11746 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 20:55:02 »
What are tuned cherry stabilizers? I know you can clip the stabs, but what else can you do? I see Duck and GON mentioning this.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11747 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 20:56:59 »
What are tuned cherry stabilizers? I know you can clip the stabs, but what else can you do? I see Duck and GON mentioning this.
lube them? not really sure beyond that

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #11748 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 21:00:36 »

clip the stabilizers, and lube them.  You can also "shave" the mold line too, but I am not sure GON and Duck do that or not.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #11749 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 21:12:07 »

clip the stabilizers, and lube them.  You can also "shave" the mold line too, but I am not sure GON and Duck do that or not.

lube them? not really sure beyond that

Thanks for the replies!

Here's the video I'm referring to.