Author Topic: planning on doing my first pcb / keyboard - few questions  (Read 2526 times)

Offline mclow85

planning on doing my first pcb / keyboard - few questions
« on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 16:16:33 »
hi
im looking at keyboard builds the last 3 years now and i finally decided to do my own...

i still got a few main questions before i can start doing the pcb...

first of im not sure if i should use a avr (atmel, atmega) or a arm chip....! LOL

also im very unsure about all the other components...
----do each led need to have their own capaciator?
---what else do i need beisde a crystal, usb port, more capaciators, switch , resistor???

i plan on going after this tutorial for kicad...https://github.com/ruiqimao/keyboard-pcb-guide#component-placement
i already got the layout, matrix and the backplate from online generators..
"just" need to do the pcb ...

also im curious if i could match the pcb to use a case i could already could buy...
if not whats the cheapest whay to get a case done? wood cnc? 3d print? acrylic cnc?
alu is the best but its to expensive for the first build LOL

thx for the help
merry xmas

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: planning on doing my first pcb / keyboard - few questions
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 December 2022, 04:59:23 »
Sounds like trying to fly before you can walk - I applaud the enthusiasm but fear this will not end well!

Easy answers:

Find a chip that works with the firmware you want to use, Atmel have worked for years but are discontinued and only some Arm chips work.  The GH60[/url is a tried and tested open source PCB so you could start with that, though it has

LEDs need a resistor, not a capacitor.

If you know the sizes or can measure a case of course you can make your own PCB to go in it.  You can hang the PCB from the switches if the plate is attached to the case, but I guess you want a strange layout so would also need to get a plate cut for it

Fully custom cases are not cheap, the cheapest way would be using a sandwich case, [url=http://builder.swillkb.com/]Swill's plate and case builder
can make you the files needed to get one cut.  All the options you mention can work so you'll need to find out what's available near you within your budget.  I've recommended laserhive and a member was happy, not sure if it's still really cheap to buy from the UK internationally though
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod