Author Topic: Northgate OmniKey Ultra Programming codes  (Read 4693 times)

Offline mcginnis13

Northgate OmniKey Ultra Programming codes
« on: Thu, 05 June 2008, 01:42:06 »
I have two of the Northgate OmniKey Ultra keyboards that are still working fine after 18 years. I got one of them with my office Northgate 486/33 in 1989 and liked it so well I got another for home a couple of months later. Both are the older versions with the dip switches in the back rather than under the logo on top. I had forgotten about them till my wireless KB and Mouse went out this week and decided to give them a try again. Can't believe I ever switched to something else as they still have a great touch typing feel. I was able to find some information about them for the switch settings on the net, but I can't seem to find any of my original manuals for them to tell me how to remap the keys. Does anyone remember how to do key remapping??? The "Hitting the shift 4 times does not work". I was even able to find my extra keys and removal tool for both of them. Guess it pays to be a pack rat.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 June 2008, 01:49:38 »
Call CVT (the company that still makes the Northgates), they should be able to help you as they own the patents.

http://www.cvtinc.com/products/keyboards/prime.htm

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 June 2008, 04:17:24 »
There is software available to program these, I believe, but I have yet to be able to find it available for download.  If/when I do, I'll make it available for download here (assuming no legal obstacles).

Hey xsphat, do you want to call CVT to see if the have the old software available?

Offline nrp

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 June 2008, 10:20:58 »

Offline mcginnis13

Just what I needed
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 June 2008, 20:52:36 »
:rolleyes:Thanks so much for the JPG's of the manual. The company that bought the Northgate KB rights shows that their software does not work on the older KB's in their FAQ section and they are not willing to show the earlier KB data as that would let people buy the older Ultra's. It would be easier on the new KB since they have software that programs the keys for you, but I guess I'm old school and don't mind the old DOS commands.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 November 2008, 12:16:58 »
Quote from: iMav;5163
There is software available to program these, I believe, but I have yet to be able to find it available for download.  If/when I do, I'll make it available for download here (assuming no legal obstacles).

Hey xsphat, do you want to call CVT to see if the have the old software available?

Here's the only Omnikey software I've been able to find online:

http://cd.textfiles.com/somuch/smsharew/UTIL1/KB_OLD.ZIP

It's DOS-only, dates from 1990, and looks to be very limited.  Might be useful for simple SF-key remapping on some of the early Ultra keyboards, but probably not much else.