Author Topic: How to fix (wrongly) bent copper plate of Cherry MX blue.  (Read 6634 times)

Offline Wasp

• Insect spray adversary.
How to fix (wrongly) bent copper plate of Cherry MX blue.
« on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 22:57:31 »
Hi forum (again),
I run also into a second problem while lubing my Cherry MX blues and this is even more frustrating: I bend the inner clicking metal plate of 2 switches. I guess it happened while opening the switches housing of the neighbouring switch.

Sadly I cannot find any detailed explanation or picturing of how they have to look like or how the shortens of the switch works. Sure, I can listen to 1 trillion sound tests, actuation graphs etc. pp. but not how to "build" .. or in my case: how to repair one.

I can achieve two things:
  • I can bend it to let it trigger all the freaking time.
  • I can bend it to not trigger at all.

..sadly I have no f$%&*!ng idea of the correct setting in between. Ironically I can barely tell a difference between both of these settings of the metal plate by naked eye! :'(

Can anybody help me in this matter with hints, tricks or maybe just a detailed photo of what the magic behind this copper plate is???

Thanks in advance
Wasp

Quick update:
Could manage to fix all my broken keys a.k.a. bend copper plates by somehow proper re-flexing. Even though it's not perfect. In case I got some acceptable shots with the phone I will post some details tomorr..later.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2018, 01:02:02 by Wasp »

Offline TerryMathews

Re: How to fix (wrongly) bent copper plate of Cherry MX blue.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 21:53:52 »
easy way, desolder it, solder in another switch.

I can't believe I'm about to type this but I agree with TP4. Even if you can get the leaf bent back into the right position, you've probably significantly decreased the switches lifetime before failure.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 09:27:28 »
easy way, desolder it, solder in another switch.

I can't believe I'm about to type this but I agree with TP4. Even if you can get the leaf bent back into the right position, you've probably significantly decreased the switches lifetime before failure.

hey hey don't diss TP. and yeah, spend the extra few cents and just use a new switch lol
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Wasp

• Insect spray adversary.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 13:24:29 »
spend the extra few cents and just use a new switch lol

I find them pretty expensive. At least the only offer I found so far for Cherry MX blue switches is not a few cents but almost 1 €  per switch! Since they come in a package of 10 peaces it doesn't even pay back if I could save some of the old ones.

Probably would go for gateron blues by now anyway. So they are a bit cheaper. However if you can point me to the correct offer where they cost just a few cents, I would be happy...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 13:26:43 »
Oh, I was just thinking you had some lying around. When you buy in packs of 80 or so they're only like $0.3 a piece. Try the free stuff thread, tons of people have switches lying around that I'm sure they'd be happy to post to you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 18:04:05 »
If you were in the US i'd be happy to mail you some for free.. not worth it overseas though. I'm guessing someone on your continent could hook you up though.
-Dana