Author Topic: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)  (Read 766501 times)

Offline PancakeMSTR

Re: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (24 hours left!!)
« Reply #450 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:19:00 »
Based off GMK's render for the keyset, I'd say no. The 1u R4 keys aren't included, and Sherry had been pretty adamant that the GMK render is correct for what keys are included.

Right but the question is does the PCB support it? Bleh I hope it does. Getting two 1.5u keys on top of the 1.75u shift will be such a pain in the ass. ****ed up key units are literally my only problem with this keyboard... aghh.

Why the hell use that layout in those photos then?

I'm not sure what you mean, but the EXENT keyset fits the EXENT keyboard perfectly. There are extra keys for spacebars and ISO keys as well.

Right but I'm not buying the Exent/GMK set. I'm putting something else on. Ergo, I don't have two R4 1.5 u keys or a R4 1.75u shift.

Given what I will have, filling the bottom row with all 1u keys (to the right of the space bar) is the easiest option.

So the question is, does the PCB support 6x1u keys to the right of the spacebar? Does the switch plate support it?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #451 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:21:24 »
Right but I'm not buying the Exent/GMK set. I'm putting something else on. Ergo, I don't have two R4 1.5 u keys or a R4 1.75u shift.

I personally am having a hard time understanding what you're saying/asking. The PCB covers the layouts pictured and the GMK keyset accurately displays every key available. How's any of this confusing? If you're putting a different key set on it then make sure it comes with two R4 1.5s and a 1.75u rshift - how's this complicated?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #452 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:24:55 »

I personally am having a hard time understanding what you're saying/asking. The PCB covers the layouts pictured and the GMK keyset accurately displays every key available. How's any of this confusing? If you're putting a different key set on it then make sure it comes with two R4 1.5s and a 1.75u rshift - how's this complicated?

How can I possibly be any clearer?

- I didn't get the GMK set
- The sets I did buy have neither an R4 1.75u shift nor 2x1.5u R4 "Function" keys. (Though they do have a 1.75u key I can use in place of shift).
- What they do have is a lot of 1u keys I can put wherever I want.
- I bought these keysets WELL BEFORE I knew the Exent even existed, and I don't plan on buying any more sets for the forseeable future.

So based on what you're saying, the PCB and plate DO cover the layouts used in the photos/render? You know with all the different bezel colors? I understand that the GMK set DOES NOT allow that layout, i.e. 6x1u to the right of the spacebar. The question is, does the Exent PCB and switch plate allow it?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:26:56 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline Phinnegan

• I have a new addiction.
« Reply #453 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:32:09 »
Based off GMK's render for the keyset, I'd say no. The 1u R4 keys aren't included, and Sherry had been pretty adamant that the GMK render is correct for what keys are included.

Right but the question is does the PCB support it? Bleh I hope it does. Getting two 1.5u keys on top of the 1.75u shift will be such a pain in the ass. ****ed up key units are literally my only problem with this keyboard... aghh.

Why the hell use that layout in those photos then?

The engineering sample has 6 1u keys - http://imgur.com/a/hmJ5m .  Also, the recent PCB pictures definitely have 6 1u swich positions.

Whether the plate supports it?  If so, the layout graphic should be updated to include that layout right?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #454 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:34:31 »

Whether the plate supports it?  If so, the layout graphic should be updated to include that layout right?

Well I'd presume as much. But I'm not talking about the GMK set.

I was thinking the GMK layout graphic illustrated all the layouts possible on the Exent. I think this is false, and that graphic only represents the layouts possible on the GMK set.

So, basically, I got confused. I think it wouldn't be terrible if someone could upload a graphic illustrating all the layouts actually possible on the exent, assuming the number of permutations is reasonable.

If you look at some of the technical drawings it appears the plate is slotted on the bottom row. I'm pretty confident it supports that layout. I'd be shocked if I got the thing and couldn't do it. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:36:41 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #455 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:36:11 »
Exent prototype PCB arrived  ;D
Purple and gold

Hot damn!  :eek:

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #456 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:41:29 »
Purple and gold

sexiness
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #457 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 15:58:47 »
The question is, does the Exent PCB and switch plate allow it?

Yea.

Offline Traveler

[GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (24 hours left!!)
« Reply #458 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 17:10:09 »
Reading these comments was pretty entertaining haha; I wish I would have checked this thread earlier. I immediately knew what PancakeMSTR was trying to ask and might have been able to clear some things up.

Can I ask a quick question? All the photos with, I guess, the GMK keyset have, to the right of the space bar, six 1u keys. This layout is actually viable, right? Because the "layouts" picture/diagram doesn't show it.

Here's a link to a pic of the prototype brass plate. It's completely open on that right side of the spacebar. Assuming nothing changes from the prototype it looks like you can achieve this layout as long as the PCB supports it (and I think others have confirmed it does).

EDIT: And what a gorgeous PCB that is. Whew. I bought a second one in case I screwed up the first one somehow during my build, and I'm glad so. Best case scenario I can just look at the spare and admire how pretty it is.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 March 2017, 17:32:33 by Traveler »

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #459 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 19:59:12 »
Reading these comments was pretty entertaining haha; I wish I would have checked this thread earlier. I immediately knew what PancakeMSTR was trying to ask and might have been able to clear some things up.

Can I ask a quick question? All the photos with, I guess, the GMK keyset have, to the right of the space bar, six 1u keys. This layout is actually viable, right? Because the "layouts" picture/diagram doesn't show it.

Here's a link to a pic of the prototype brass plate.
Show Image
It's completely open on that right side of the spacebar. Assuming nothing changes from the prototype it looks like you can achieve this layout as long as the PCB supports it (and I think others have confirmed it does).

EDIT: And what a gorgeous PCB that is. Whew. I bought a second one in case I screwed up the first one somehow during my build, and I'm glad so. Best case scenario I can just look at the spare and admire how pretty it is.

Jesus christ.

Yeah thanks, looks like what I wanna do will work.

Wow though kinda regret not getting the brass plate now. Holy goddamn.

Offline ClearKeys

« Reply #460 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:07:37 »

Here's a link to a pic of the prototype brass plate.
Show Image
It's completely open on that right side of the spacebar. Assuming nothing changes from the prototype it looks like you can achieve this layout as long as the PCB supports it (and I think others have confirmed it does).

Jesus christ.

Yeah thanks, looks like what I wanna do will work.

Wow though kinda regret not getting the brass plate now. Holy goddamn.

Same. That brass plate looks niiiiceeeee.....
Is it too late to upgrade?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #461 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 11:36:07 »
who is "QUADCUBE" ?

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #462 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 13:01:37 »
Purple and gold
dope af
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #463 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 20:16:44 »
Paid up, suckas!!!  Can't wait!

Offline Traveler

« Reply #464 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 21:10:01 »
who is "QUADCUBE" ?

The guy who designed the PCB. If you're asking about his past work though I'm not sure. I'm pretty new to mechanical keyboards.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #465 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 21:53:43 »
who is "QUADCUBE" ?

Same guy who did the PCB for the TGR Jane CE

Offline quadcube

« Reply #466 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 03:08:59 »

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #467 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 15:55:06 »
who is "QUADCUBE" ?
hi ;D

Great job, dude.  You really lit up the bottom with the LEDs!  Props.

Offline six_chains

• Looking for fashion bae.
    • Visual Art
Re: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (Collecting Payments)
« Reply #468 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 18:58:00 »
does the brass plate actually have that mirror finish? or is that just the photo

Model M JIS Silver Label  --  Exent  -- Apple IIs ALPS -- Poker II Granite R1

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #469 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 04:21:02 »
does the brass plate actually have that mirror finish? or is that just the photo
The one for the GB is going to be brush finished. Thank you. 
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline mindxthinker

« Reply #470 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 08:00:46 »
Finally, I paid up! WOOOT WOOT!

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 11:18:28 »
Finally, I paid up! WOOOT WOOT!
Thank you bro.
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #472 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 12:29:08 »

Damn. I liked the polished brass.

Offline zurikade

• Math Always Wins.
« Reply #473 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 12:44:28 »
I just added my info to the GB yesterday because the form was still active, but it seems like I've missed my chance.  Can we confirm the groupbuy is in fact closed, and I should realize my ship sailed weeks ago?

:( Sadness.

Offline gnarlsagan

• Billions and billions... of keycaps.
« Reply #474 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 12:45:01 »

Why did the order form say dull polished brass then? To me that does not mean brushed finish, but I'd be happy to hear others' opinions. People paid $30 extra for a polished brass plate, so if after payment it is now not polished, please share the reason.

Offline six_chains

• Looking for fashion bae.
    • Visual Art
« Reply #475 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 01:02:45 »
:( Sadness.

sry bud, closed. but check back later; you might be able to pick up someone's spot.

Why did the order form say dull polished brass then? To me that does not mean brushed finish, but I'd be happy to hear others' opinions. People paid $30 extra for a polished brass plate, so if after payment it is now not polished, please share the reason.

I actually prefer the brushed finish. I have a preference for things "matte"; smoother, has texture, no fingerprints..but again, personal preference here.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 March 2017, 01:12:19 by six_chains »

Model M JIS Silver Label  --  Exent  -- Apple IIs ALPS -- Poker II Granite R1

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #476 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 11:09:38 »
I think a polished finish would look better. The plate isn't going to get a lot of direct touching to pick up finger prints, and polished brass takes light so well it's a shame to dull that down at all. I also think the contrast of polished brass against the matte finish of the case would look really nice, better even.

Also curious why the Brass plate has been switched from polished to brushed?

Offline mindxthinker

« Reply #477 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 01:38:52 »
polished brass please~~

Offline rustywok

« Reply #478 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 21:40:31 »
Now I'm wishing I had ordered two instead of just one.  :confused:

Offline Data

« Reply #479 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 21:51:05 »

Two?  Don't be ridiculous.

Any sane person would want 3.  ;D

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #480 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 22:16:19 »

Two?  Don't be ridiculous.

Any sane person would want 3.  ;D

Can confirm. Ordered three. Am sane.  :confused:

Offline Traveler

« Reply #481 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 10:31:21 »
I... only ordered one. Not sure if I'm insane or just a filthy casual.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #482 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 12:55:29 »

I'm in the casual club right along with you.  Although I did get an extra plate and pcb so I can theoretically have 2 builds.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #483 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 13:22:23 »

^

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #484 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 19:30:01 »
I only bought one, and that alone was enough to set off my "this addiction is getting serious" alarms.

I'm not even quite sure what the point of buying more than one is? Can ya'll really not decide on a single color?

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #485 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 20:16:28 »
I only bought one, and that alone was enough to set off my "this addiction is getting serious" alarms.

I'm not even quite sure what the point of buying more than one is? Can ya'll really not decide on a single color?

I couldn't  :-[

Black with Round 6/Oblivion
Blue with Dasher
Pink with GMK Laser

And each one can have different switches that I can use depending on mood, weather, day off the week, or astrological period!

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #486 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 22:27:34 »
A Photoshop I made after Bro announced the new gamer sets. Exent + GMK Cyrillic + Brocaps Murderface Gamer set.

162627-0

QFR R-i/DSA Dolch   |   MX Master
     + yellow Esc

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #487 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 22:45:04 »
A Photoshop I made after Bro announced the new gamer sets. Exent + GMK Cyrillic + Brocaps Murderface Gamer set.

(Attachment Link)

That looks very nice, the render's well made - needs DSA Slasher on it instead, though; it'd look so good on the black Exent, even more so with the Murderface Gamer set - gotta bother DaleSnail so he gets on with that sooner rather than later! :blank:

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #488 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 23:55:42 »

Blue with Dasher
Pink with GMK Laser

And each one can have different switches that I can use depending on mood, weather, day off the week, or astrological period!

So roughly 1300$ worth of keyboard.

Okay. Glad to hear I'm doing okay. Post pictures of the results please.

Offline rustywok

« Reply #489 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 01:14:52 »
Especially post pictures of the GMK Lazer set on the pink Exent. Uh-huh.

Offline gnarlsagan

« Reply #490 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 18:38:27 »

Blue with Dasher
Pink with GMK Laser

Lol roughly but likely way more. Keyboards still tend to maintain value, so I'm not too worried. This hobby almost pays for itself with the right planning. I expect more hype once people see how great these boards are going to look.

Offline Data

« Reply #491 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 21:25:17 »
Any board with GMK Laser is probably going to look amazing.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #492 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 01:58:34 »

Blue with Dasher
Pink with GMK Laser

Lol roughly but likely way more. Keyboards still tend to maintain value, so I'm not too worried. This hobby almost pays for itself with the right planning. I expect more hype once people see how great these boards are going to look.

Yeah, I've thought about that. I probably could have bought two exents and two F77s and sold the spares each for what I paid for both and essentially broken even, but it's just too much anxiety to be honest. Mostly I suppose I'm just glad that if I decide at some point getting into keyboards was stupid, I can sell everything for at least what I paid, if not (possibly significantly) more.

Offline ClearKeys

« Reply #493 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 07:03:44 »

Blue with Dasher
Pink with GMK Laser

Yeah, I've thought about that. I probably could have bought two exents and two F77s and sold the spares each for what I paid for both and essentially broken even, but it's just too much anxiety to be honest. Mostly I suppose I'm just glad that if I decide at some point getting into keyboards was stupid, I can sell everything for at least what I paid, if not (possibly significantly) more.

Don't worry, it was stupid regardless ;). I think most of us share the similar outlook.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #494 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 11:45:40 »

Blue with Dasher
Pink with GMK Laser

Don't worry, it was stupid regardless ;). I think most of us share the similar outlook.

The amount of stupidity pales in comparison to all the feels of HYPE!

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #495 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:14:07 »

I loved Black and Silver too much to just pick one, to be honest. Gives me more to play around with in terms of configuration and whatnot, too. Plus, this collab has me too HYPED.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #496 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 14:48:14 »

I loved Black and Silver too much to just pick one, to be honest. Gives me more to play around with in terms of configuration and whatnot, too. Plus, this collab has me too HYPED.

My choice was even less healthy: I got physically anxious when I thought about only getting the one color I liked and the regret I might feel at not having chosen the other. I think I'm at a 'call in the troops' level of addiction

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #497 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 14:52:22 »

My choice was even less healthy: I got physically anxious when I thought about only getting the one color I liked and the regret I might feel at not having chosen the other. I think I'm at a 'call in the troops' level of addiction

That sounds terrible.

I guess I'm lucky: silver silver silver only thing I'm ever interested in. Goes for all (aluminum housed) keyboards. Blue with Dasher (or dancer? Whichever) is tempting, admittedly, but I didn't buy that set anyway so doesn't much matter.

Offline ClearKeys

« Reply #498 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 14:58:50 »

That sounds terrible.

I guess I'm lucky: silver silver silver only thing I'm ever interested in. Goes for all (aluminum housed) keyboards. Blue with Dasher (or dancer? Whichever) is tempting, admittedly, but I didn't buy that set anyway so doesn't much matter.

Silver with either GMK Pyro or GMK snes. I can't wait, it's gonna be hot.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #499 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 15:01:25 »

It's okay, it happens to me too, I just kinda sugarcoated the stress and process in picking colors. E8-V1 and the MIRA were even more stressful, had me actually agonizing over choices/options for a bit.