Author Topic: [IC] SPRH Keyboard - An ortho board compatible with more keycaps  (Read 7319 times)

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
[IC] SPRH Keyboard - An ortho board compatible with more keycaps
« on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 05:02:38 »

UPDATE: 23 JUL 2020
New bottom row! Now 100% compatible with standard keycap sets!

Hello GH!  I know it's been a while since my last update on this.  Over the last few months I've been busy with moving back to the US, running my first Group Buy(https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/comments/gyusp2/gb_s50_update_all_items_shipped/, https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/gy1ub4/pretty_in_pink/), and tweaking the design of the SPRH.  Changes include:

Blockers have been added to the bottom row.  This was done to make the keyboard 100% compatible with standard keycap sets, place the spacebar closer to center, and creating a more balanced appearance by putting a stagger on all rows of the keyboard on both sides.  My latest prototype is above, and the updated layouts are here:

Additionally, the PCB and case are now designed to work with a daughterboard.  This is heavily based on the unified daughterboard, but it's dimensions and components differ slightly.

What's next:  Right now I'm looking for a shop to build the keyboard on a CNC mill.  I'll follow that up with an interest check for case materials and finishes.  I'll commission some renders at some point along the way.

As always, please let me know your feedback.  I can't wait til the next update!
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2020, 19:55:57 by joedinkle »

Vixen

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
Re: [IC] SPRH Keyboard - An ortho board compatible with more keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 05:09:46 »
Interesting layout with full sized mods on ortho, I dig it with the row 'staircasing' tho unsure how I feel about arrows and bottom row layout.

Case will make or break it for me, so hope it turns out great!
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2019, 05:28:17 by Agilr »

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 06:28:24 »
This a very unique ideal! Maybe try to use some smaller modifier keys to add more symmetry to the sides (the unsymmetrical keys on either side are what kills it for me). Overall though I do dig the ideal. GL moving forward with this OP!

Offline ipetepete

• Omnomly
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 08:39:21 »
Yup! Yup! Yup! I'm on board. I would like to see some case options as well. I like the sandwich plates, so offering that as an option would be fantastic. It looks like it *might* fit in a 60% case, so if I also had the option to go with any standard 60% case.....well that would be amazing, the options go through the roof.  :thumb:

Offline astronavy

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 21:34:27 »
Interesting, i had exactly the same thought on how to design a ortho board which could fit usual size keycups. so i’m in.

Offline meatsmoothies

• howdy!
    • portfolio / store
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 21:41:10 »
this looks great! i'd absolutely love a 40s version, and answered the form :D

Offline SwordLaker

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 22:18:55 »
Suggestion: I think the layout question in your IC form should be a list of checkboxes instead. They are not mutually exclusive. Someone might not exactly be particular about layout support.

If I have to handwire this, I'll be torn between this and 40%. While it's more practical to be 60%, 40% is definitely better looking (but I guess this was never made to look good in the first place).

Great job, GLWGB and looking forward to the wares!

Edit and suggestion: I'm not particularly fond of the use of 1u mods on the bottom row. Those keys are not standard and I think the board could achieve its objective better by sticking it to 1.25u mods. Leaving a small gap between the bottom mod row and the arrow cluster is actually good and functional (ala True Whitefox style).
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2019, 22:25:06 by SwordLaker »

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 02:08:05 »
Hello all!  Thanks for all the responses.  :D

Over the next few weeks, I'll be refining the PCB, and sourcing a company that can cheaply produce plates in acrylic and metal.  I'll be continuing to work the case as well.  I'll post another update when I've got some cool things to show, and look to do a group buy when I've finalized the design for all components.

Vixen

Offline sinnyc

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 14:36:55 »
I like it!  Gotta have the split spacebars.

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 18:27:07 »
I like it!  Gotta have the split spacebars.

No worries.  I got you! https://imgur.com/utDT62c

Vixen

Offline sinnyc

Offline equalunique

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 20:03:36 »
Been thinking about this more and more since the thread started. Yeah, I could use quite a lot of these.

PCB options with and without F-Row would be nice.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 January 2020, 20:14:13 by equalunique »

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 06:15:36 »
Hello all. I wanted to provide a small update.

Based on feedback from the Google forms, I've settled on the following layouts: https://imgur.com/a/kRMdXC8

Additionally, I had a small test board made to confirm the multiple footprints on top of each other would work. I know this works for lots of PCBs, but I haven't seen this layout on any ortho boards, so I wanted to be sure before having a full PCB made.  Unfortunately after having the test board sent for manufacture, I changed the layout of the bottom row from what's in the OP to what's in this post. I think what I'm using going forward puts the spacebars as square in the middle as a staggered board. I'm quite happy with it!

Speaking of the PCB, I've finished the design to support the new layouts. PCB snap in stabs work well for most spots, but if you're using an "ISO" enter, I recommend a screw in stab for that key. A snap in is loose on its own, but works well enough once the key is placed on the switch and stab.  I'll likely have some prototype boards ordered in the coming days.  The plate and case are done as well. I've ordered a 3D print of the case before having one done with CNC, and I'm waiting on a quote for plates.

I'll be pretty busy with work over the next few weeks. Expect another update by mid-February!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Vixen

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 06:20:33 »
Been thinking about this more and more since the thread started. Yeah, I could use quite a lot of these.

PCB options with and without F-Row would be nice.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion!  For this first go round, I'm going to stick to the layouts I've got so far, instead of continuing to tweak on this one. Depending on how this goes, this is definitely not the last board I design. Doing an ortho style TKL with F keys would be awesome though.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Vixen

Offline magalahi

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 15:07:09 »
I'm in for one. Really dig the idea of the rotary encoder with the ortho.

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 06:13:05 »
Update Bump!  Check the OP!  ;D

Vixen

Offline sinnyc

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 00:07:23 »
The S45 is beautiful but I'm waitin' on the big boi

Offline joedinkle