Author Topic: New layout - Dvorak modification  (Read 1642 times)

Offline peterstock

New layout - Dvorak modification
« on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 15:22:25 »
I've been using Dvorak for a few years now, and I like it. But I got to thinking how having the L and S on the right pinkie isn't so great, and R and N on the right ring finger is a bit much too. So after poring over lots of bigram statistics, I think I've found something pretty good - see what you think:

Code: [Select]
: , . P Y   F N D G C
A O E I U   L H T S R
' Q J K X   Z M B V W

I just switched the I and U on the left hand. The right hand is a complete redesign, although it still has some commonality.

I couldn't find a better choice of letters for the right/left hand split. I think a great triumph of Dvorak is the high level of hand alternation and I don't see that any other layout is better in this respect.

All the common bigrams and trigrams for the right hand seem pretty comfortable. It's quite heavy on the index finger, but a politician would say it's lighter on the pinkie and ring fingers. ;-)  The most significant same-finger trade-offs are CR (0.270%), FL (0.118%), NL (0.070%) and FN (0.067%). But the last 3 are on the index finger, so that's not so bad (in my opinion). For comparison, Dvorak has CT (0.487%), GH (0.228%), LS (0.198%), RN (0.169%) and TW (0.089%).

What do you think of it?

My stats come from http://norvig.com/mayzner.html
My numbers include both directions for the bigrams, e.g. CR + RC.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: New layout - Dvorak modification
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 16:20:22 »
I like it. I don't quite like it enough to train myself to it, because I do slightly more typing at work, where a custom layout / keyboard would be a tough sell to say the least, but I can appreciate the things you're doing with it.

As to light on the pinky -- I went another direction; I changed springs! Forefinger has 80gr springs, middle and ring home-row do to, with the rest of the middle two fingers hitting standard clears, then browns, swapped down to 45gr for the pinkie finger's keys.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user