geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

A question for the owners of large cell phones

<< < (3/9) > >>

funderburker:
I too am starting to find this annoying. Have been using front pockets for a phone & a card wallet forever but over the past year, I've started to store my wallet in my backpack or shirt pocket due to using Google Pay more. But I really have no solution for my phone, it's an essential item I don't leave my house without. I can't stash it in my backpack, it's just too cumbersome to get if there's a call or a message (who uses phone to call nowadays anyways lol). I also have no need for a smartwatch to answer phone calls, that seems unnecessary as well.
Maybe a weird armband like those iPod Nanos from 2010's? Still, phones are larger, it would probably be uncomfortable for smaller arms.

sefixmm:
The fact is that more and more peoples use their phone for everything as surfing, chating, mailing, playing or watching movies and tv-shows, so it's logical that actual smartphone became bigger, they are just small tablets or big phones.

I do not say it's a good evolution or a bad one, it's just like that, personally I rarely use my phone and I still prefer doing stuffs on a real computer with a mouse and a keyboard. I just use it when I'm out of my house, as a simple phone or just to check my Whatsapp and my mails. If I'm out and i need to do something, I just share my data connection and use my Thinkpad.

phinix:
My phones is also bigger than smaller - 15x7cm.
I managed to break rear glass panel - I keep my phone in front left pocket - when I sit in my car, I push my thigh against the wheel and it always pushes on the phone - after 3 years of having that phone I noticed I managed to crash rear panel after I took off phone cover :(

suicidal_orange:

--- Quote from: sefixmm on Thu, 02 June 2022, 04:27:30 ---I do not say it's a good evolution or a bad one, it's just like that, personally I rarely use my phone and I still prefer doing stuffs on a real computer with a mouse and a keyboard. I just use it when I'm out of my house, as a simple phone or just to check my Whatsapp and my mails. If I'm out and i need to do something, I just share my data connection and use my Thinkpad.

--- End quote ---
That big phones exist is a good thing but for the many people like us the lack of a small option is bad.  I've considered getting a dumbphone and tethering something but typing the odd text on T9 (numberpad) is not something that was ever fun and having to remember to charge the phone as well as something bigger isn't appealing, plus as you say having a handy small internet device does have it's uses.

--- Quote from: phinix on Thu, 02 June 2022, 04:28:38 ---My phones is also bigger than smaller - 15x7cm.
I managed to break rear glass panel - I keep my phone in front left pocket - when I sit in my car, I push my thigh against the wheel and it always pushes on the phone - after 3 years of having that phone I noticed I managed to crash rear panel after I took off phone cover :(
--- End quote ---
Another example of a stupid forced "upgrade" - who wants a slippery, fragile phone back?  It's hard enough to keep the screen in one piece without worrying about the back too >:D

--- Quote from: funderburker on Thu, 02 June 2022, 04:09:10 ---I too am starting to find this annoying. Have been using front pockets for a phone & a card wallet forever but over the past year, I've started to store my wallet in my backpack or shirt pocket due to using Google Pay more. But I really have no solution for my phone, it's an essential item I don't leave my house without. I can't stash it in my backpack, it's just too cumbersome to get if there's a call or a message (who uses phone to call nowadays anyways lol). I also have no need for a smartwatch to answer phone calls, that seems unnecessary as well.
Maybe a weird armband like those iPod Nanos from 2010's? Still, phones are larger, it would probably be uncomfortable for smaller arms.

Show Image

--- End quote ---
ipod nanos were tiny and weighed nothing, there were phone sized armbands but pretty sure they gave up at around 4" screens.  Unless you have big arms it would just stick out too much and the weight would pull it down annoyingly.

And I still use my phone for calls - maybe it's due to my almost exclusively dyslexic contact list but getting the right answer to anything more complex than "Meet at 3 at mine?" in text can be a real challenge.  Thankfully we are not forced to go as extreme as noisy's pic, though give it a couple more years...

phinix:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Thu, 02 June 2022, 05:19:38 ---
--- Quote from: phinix on Thu, 02 June 2022, 04:28:38 ---My phones is also bigger than smaller - 15x7cm.
--- End quote ---
Another example of a stupid forced "upgrade" - who wants a slippery, fragile phone back?  It's hard enough to keep the screen in one piece without worrying about the back too >:D

--- End quote ---

Exactly, yes. I cannot hold stock phone in my hand, having glass on both sides, practically no frame around, its so slippery that I hate it.
Who the f*** makes rear glass panels? WHY?
I liked Samsung S2, which was small and big enough, was easier to hold in hand etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version