geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

A question for the owners of large cell phones

<< < (8/9) > >>

suicidal_orange:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sat, 04 June 2022, 15:01:56 ---As for low data... It takes dedication, a bit of cash and some self control,  I rarely go much over a gig and I stream a lot of music, without that I could often get by with a few hundred megs.
--- End quote ---
Here's my data usage, this would go back to September if they let it.

No social media, dedicated Ogg/WAV playing device so phone stays charged, no reception at work so can't browse on breaks and no social life/need for navigation makes this easy, but is it worth saying my life sucks and wont change to save $100 over the next year and switch to 250MB/month?  I've been saying this for 9 months so money has been wasted and I should nearly be in a position to switch back when required, but I'm not.  Should probably drop to 1GB/month but <$100 a year isn't much saving and I'm still averaging 750MB/month and this isn't the first long no usage period, so at my old job which involved hours sat at the train station I must have been well over 1GB/month thanks to the excessive number of pics in GB threads reported for approval here (moderator woes!)

Currently running Sailfish and my next phone will be Ubuntu Touch (assuming I work out a way to carry its bulk...) so no dodgy apps to worry about but I really should look into an adblocking DNS.

Your guide looks great for anyone who is happy carrying a google tracker and use it as intended though :thumb:

phinix:
I guess I dont use data so much, as I usually use around 2-3GB per month.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Sun, 05 June 2022, 02:56:26 ---Your guide looks great for anyone who is happy carrying a google tracker and use it as intended though :thumb:

--- End quote ---

I averaged well under 250Mb per month if I didn't stream music and running Cyanogenmod/Lineage roms.
This is actually the first phone I've owned that wasn't hacked to death within a few days, some of that was curiosity to see where things stood (it's MUCH better since you can disable things) but some is just how over the whole thing I am, especially as Samsung and others have made it really difficult to do it these days.

I forgot one thing in my little guide...
Go into Google settings and disable all of the tracking you can, if you look at the data Google has on me, it's very, very little. Do I trust that, hell no, but at least it's not obvious they're doing it now and I did see a difference in the ads I was being served (when I saw them).

ideus:
This is very entertaining reading, so thank you to the OP for thinking about it and sharing it. I also should thank the designers who believe that we want a laptop in our pockets, so we should go back to the times when a cellular phone was the size of a backpack, like those tactics phones used during WW2. My phone is about 2 3/4 x 6 inches, and it still fits nicely in my standard Zara slim trousers. Of course, it can be seen in front of my pants, but everybody is carrying a phone nowadays. I have tried some cases that fit on the belt, but I have never gotten accustomed to those. I take care of my current phone because it is a discontinued LG with an OLED screen that works very well for everything I have thrown at it. So I do not have any reason to buy a newer one that would come in a larger size. In the style of some cargo pants, I think that a side pocket would be required for the upcoming phablets that the designers believe we need; or the flip phones would come to rescue us from the enlarging phone trend.

noisyturtle:
I'd be super into something like this, but unsure how you actually use it as a phone. As long as you don't need to unfold it to use it as utility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version