geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?

<< < (545/550) > >>

fohat.digs:
After trying what seemed like the same things several times, it suddenly began to work properly. Linux still seems quite opaque to me until I learn the tricks, and it feels like there is an obscure trick for EVERYTHING.

Still haven't gotten Audacity to record.

suicidal_orange:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Sun, 21 August 2022, 21:34:01 ---Still haven't gotten Audacity to record.
--- End quote ---
Contrary to Leslieann I don't think your recording requirement is at all "advanced" but we're still no closer to knowing if the problem is the "soundcard" or Mint.

Either boot the Manjaro laptop drive or put in the X-Fi.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Fri, 26 August 2022, 03:56:19 ---
--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Sun, 21 August 2022, 21:34:01 ---Still haven't gotten Audacity to record.
--- End quote ---
Contrary to Leslieann I don't think your recording requirement is at all "advanced" but we're still no closer to knowing if the problem is the "soundcard" or Mint.

Either boot the Manjaro laptop drive or put in the X-Fi.

--- End quote ---

I can now record my favorite radio station via streaming over the internet using pulse and default, but it comes in at very low volume even with the sliders up full on.

The old (early 2000s) sound card does not fit, it looks "almost" right but the track and socket are slightly different lengths.

suicidal_orange:
Well that's something!  Is the sound clean enough to amplify? (ctrl+a then click effect -> amplify)  I would think that is the more complicated option compared to just recording a line in or mic.  Maybe they too are quiet and just need the volume of whatever you're recording turned up?

Sounds like a PCI soundcard, you can get adaptors to the modern PCI-Express but looks like they're designed for thin cards while yours probably isn't.  By the time you also buy a ribbon to relocate it you could probably buy a new soundcard...

suicidal_orange:
I made the mistake of thinking about upgrading to an M.2 SSD and within hours had my first problems with my years old Arch install - Firefox repeatedly crashed locking up X when either copying or pasting a few words using right click.  Switching to a real terminal and killing Firefox resulted in a strange "black screen of death" with red writing when returning to X but of course being Linux it offered click to recover rather than needing a reboot :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version