Author Topic: So, NE1 quit goin't the gym yet ?  (Read 5583 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: So, NE1 quit goin't the gym yet ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 15:52:56 »
I quit for about a month, but started back up last week.

Wound up changing how I do my rotations only slightly and I'm already getting much better results. It's crazy how specific and fine-tuned the body is to seemingly small changes in routine.

Ripples to waves, my friend.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 18:30:12 »
Already dreading the fone call that's coming in a week, hai, Tp4, this is Stephanie, it seems you haven't renewed your membership for this month.. You were making so much progress.. LIESSSSS...

The guilt trip begins.

It's like back in the day, and the teacher calls the house, and you gotta make sure to intercept the call and use Voice changer on PC.

Hai, dis is Tp4's uncle Tony, he's broken his hip in a scooter accident, he won't be returning to strenuous exercise for at least 6 months.

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 03:06:10 »
I quit for about a month, but started back up last week.

Wound up changing how I do my rotations only slightly and I'm already getting much better results. It's crazy how specific and fine-tuned the body is to seemingly small changes in routine.

Ripples to waves, my friend.

was your new year resolution to stop going to the gym? and you managed to fail after one month? i guess it is better for you that way.

not starting help with not quitting, like with tobacco i'll never quit

and well for once they guilt you but for something that would actually be good for you and and she may be right, you may not see the progress yet but give it some time, and you are that well known that even the gym lady knows that you are tp4?
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 03:18:37 »
I'm quitting today. After a month or so.
Unfortunately this is not for me. Lots of pain, no gain.
Stomach bypass here I come .... :rolleyes:
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 03:39:42 »
I haven't felt well enough to start ...

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 03:43:38 »
Muscles still sore from last time xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 05:17:56 »
Not the kind of person to do it

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:43:23 »

Don' do that -phinix-,   Bypass Surgery is like cutting off your hand to fix a broken keyboard.

If you don't have a hand, no more keyboard problems.

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 09:32:40 »

Don' do that -phinix-,   Bypass Surgery is like cutting off your hand to fix a broken keyboard.

If you don't have a hand, no more keyboard problems.

I'm afraid, it comes to this now. Everything else failed, I failed. Time to go under the knife :'(

235270-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 09:39:06 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Kavik

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 11:15:56 »
I usually skip January to avoid crowds at the gym, but, now that I have a gym in my garage, my excuses are 1. it's too cold and 2. I want to lose a certain amount of weight before lifting again.

I have not been making fast progress on weight loss (I only have about 5-10 more pounds I want to lose) because I haven't been as willing to make drastic cuts to my diet as I was a couple years ago. My average for the past couple months has been about 2300 kcal/day when I should probably be closer to 1800 kcal/day, so instead of 2 lb/week, I've only been losing maybe 0.3 lb/week.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 14:36:57 »
I want to lose a certain amount of weight before lifting again.

// ?? ?? //

Offline Kavik

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 17:08:31 »
I want to lose a certain amount of weight before lifting again.

// ?? ?? //

Show Image

To gain strength or muscle, I'll have to gain weight, so I'll be stuck with any lingering fat I currently have until I go on a cut. If I start lifting while still losing weight, I won't make any progress.

The whole burn-fat-while-building-muscle thing doesn't really seem to work. I also want to be as light as possible for a half marathon in a couple months.

Offline JP

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 17:32:06 »

Have you tried intermittent / alternate day fasting?

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 18:14:08 »

I get really sick if I don't eat. Like physically ill, vomiting and dizzy.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 18:20:55 »

If you didn't eat, what comes out in the vomit ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 19:47:54 »

Stomach lining and bile. It's very unpleasant.

Offline phinix

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 02:15:07 »

Stomach lining and bile. It's very unpleasant.

No, I haven't tried :)
Nice lassie by the way... but I don't like nose rings...
...big chin...
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2020, 02:28:02 by phinix »

Offline JP

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 08:13:35 »
No, I haven't tried :)
Nice lassie by the way... but I don't like nose rings...
...big chin...

I never suggested you get a nose ring yourself  :) Also not nearly as bad as tattoos.

You could still eat on your fasting days. Less total calories or eating foods that are not so calorie dense. You can eat a fair amount of healthy, low calorie foods and feel full. The opposite is true with a lot of junk food.

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 13:57:57 »

After not eating for a couple of days you might not notice it as much. What you describe sounds almost like a food dependency Oo .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 08:41:25 »
After not eating for a couple of days you might not notice it as much. What you describe sounds almost like a food dependency Oo .

I'm sure NT is xaggaratn'  he prolly just gets a little tired and sleepy like most humans who don't eat for a while.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 16:07:50 »

I'm sure NT is xaggaratn'  he prolly just gets a little tired and sleepy like most humans who don't eat for a while.

Show Image

I literally get physically ill and vomit yellow bile and stomach lining, something to do with my ulcer I assume, or 'beetus, or cancer, or chrone's. Even just one slice of bread is the difference between crippling stomach pain in the morning and being totally fine. Only happens in the morning/after waking up.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 06:41:24 »
Was reading how for weight loss and muscle gain you need to be doing a minimum of 300 minutes a week of moderate to heavy exercise. That's 5 freaking hours a week! Seems a bit of an unrealistic expectation for normal people. Who the hell has that kind of time?

Offline walie

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 09:05:20 »
Was reading how for weight loss and muscle gain you need to be doing a minimum of 300 minutes a week of moderate to heavy exercise. That's 5 freaking hours a week! Seems a bit of an unrealistic expectation for normal people. Who the hell has that kind of time?

When I’m training for an Ironman, I do ~20h/week of swim/bike/run during peak training, 5h is nothing really.

If you want to lose weight, eat less.

And seriously dude, you should go see a doctor.

Offline yui

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 09:21:26 »

quite a few peoples convert treadmills as gaming stations, you you can kill 2 birds with one stone, or put the pet bed next to the exercise machine, so that you can pet it while exercising, multitasking is wonderful, and not reserved to computers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 09:28:16 »

quite a few peoples convert treadmills as gaming stations, you you can kill 2 birds with one stone, or put the pet bed next to the exercise machine, so that you can pet it while exercising, multitasking is wonderful, and not reserved to computers.

Exercise bike is easier, and usually cheaper,  you can get a top end model on craigs list for $20-50 ,  and they're almost always basically new, because the old owner used it once and gave up.

You can play Arena of Valor on mobile,  this is the easiest game to play on an exercise bike.  You won't even notice the time gone by.

You play 2 games, ~10-15minutes each,  and you're done. it goes by so quickly.

Arena of Valor is the greatest most addicting Moba ever devised. 

Offline yui

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 09:44:29 »

Exercise bike is easier, and usually cheaper,  you can get a top end model on craigs list for $20-50 ,  and they're almost always basically new, because the old owner used it once and gave up.

You can play Arena of Valor on mobile,  this is the easiest game to play on an exercise bike.  You won't even notice the time gone by.

You play 2 games, ~10-15minutes each,  and you're done. it goes by so quickly.

Arena of Valor is the greatest most addicting Moba ever devised. 

Tp you need to disclose it when you are sponsored

Offline Kavik

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 09:54:33 »

When I was lifting heavy, my workouts started out around 45 minutes, 3 days/week. As I progressed, they became closer to 2 or 2.5 hours, but only because I was resting five minutes or longer between sets and increased the volume a bit.

Three days/week @ 1.5 hours/day + 30 minute run one day = 5 hours.  Not too bad. I say that, but I'm not even doing it myself at the moment.

I used to do that with no entertainment (TV or music), so it got a bit boring. Now I have a TV in my garage gym, so I just use Chromecast to watch videos while I rest.

One recommendation I have for saving time is to stretch only lightly or not at all. Don't spend 20 minutes stretching in every direction until you're about to snap; it does more harm than good. Warm up reps are usually enough.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 09:56:06 »

That's 1 hour a day, 5 days a week. I don't know a single person that is so busy that they can't spare 1 hour a day to exercise.  Watch 1 less show, play a game for 1 less hour, work your exercise into something you'd be doing anyways (ie. take your dog for a walk, but work a little running in instead of just walking/carry hand weights during your walk).

If your excuse is that you're working 12+ hour days, you're working way too hard as it is...That's not a good way to live your life already.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 10:08:24 »
Tp you need to disclose it when you are sponsored

Tp4 is not sponsored,  Tp4 recommens only best -stuffs- that Tp4 actually buys/utilizes.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 12:06:13 »
Never started going to the gym,I did however start taking my dog for half mile or so walks 2-3 times a day,last fall I could barely get my seat belt on when I was in the car,now I have like 4-5 inches of slack and all my clothes are loose,it feels great. :D

Offline bliss

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 15:45:27 »
Already dreading the fone call that's coming in a week, hai, Tp4, this is Stephanie, it seems you haven't renewed your membership for this month..
Never was inside a gym after high school :D

I've had severe health problems, but I've found my routine:

4x 30min a week high intensity interval bodyweight training. My body is my gym! The program was derived from military training by Mark Lauren (90 Day Challenge). My goal is only to achieve and maintain health, scratch vanity if it starts to get unhealthy, so no heavy weights (my body is heavy enough ;)) or marathons. On days off I do stretching, because mobility is way underated. Maintaing all this is extremely important for body and spirit alike (which are always linked).

You can always adjust exercise difficulty, for example push-ups:
  • easiest way: standing upright, push from a wall or door. Everyone can do that
  • harder way: one leg up on a chair, the other leg lifted, your hands on the floor

Before that, doctors suggested moderate, slow running with forefoot strike (important!!), but that just got me tired and did not fix my health problems.

My message is, be in perpetual movement, and find what works for you; try out everything! And, gentlemen, no excuses please.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 17:22:56 »
Never started going to the gym,I did however start taking my dog for half mile or so walks 2-3 times a day,last fall I could barely get my seat belt on when I was in the car,now I have like 4-5 inches of slack and all my clothes are loose,it feels great. :D
This right here. lean in and let the dog do the work.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 21:27:35 »
If you don't care about yourself/health and aren't trying to impress anyone, why should you exercise at all?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 21:40:31 »
If you don't care about yourself/health and aren't trying to impress anyone, why should you exercise at all?
Reduce chances of early onset financial healthcare costs. Even people that don't care like money.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 21:53:13 »
Reduce chances of early onset financial healthcare costs. Even people that don't care like money.

eh, I'm gonna off myself right after my parents die so that won't matter none

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 22:20:00 »
I never started...

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 22:32:59 »

For you theoretically, but in general it is a good reason for those with no incentive to exercise. You never know, your feelings may change in the future and then it could have an impact. Life is pretty fluid. I have been to the dark place. I remember the feeling of wanting death just to make the pain of life stop. I remember also not giving a **** and being comfortably numb to the point where I didn't want to die but I could not care if I lived either.

Things change. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 07:00:22 »
I never started...

I read somewhere, ukranians say something like, you've already done half of the thing you were gonna do just by starting. (paraphrasing)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 07:02:15 »

For you theoretically, but in general it is a good reason for those with no incentive to exercise. You never know, your feelings may change in the future and then it could have an impact. Life is pretty fluid. I have been to the dark place. I remember the feeling of wanting death just to make the pain of life stop. I remember also not giving a **** and being comfortably numb to the point where I didn't want to die but I could not care if I lived either.

Things change. 

Tell us Fanpeeps.  what reason 2 live has yous discovered.

Offline walie

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 08:12:10 »

Why after your parents die

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 15:11:36 »

Why after your parents die

because they don't deserve to go through that while they are alive

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 16:44:36 »
because they don't deserve to go through that while they are alive

Whole Food Plant Based

Repair Sadness 2Day.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 17:37:04 »

Things change. 

Cannot say for sure, was a gradual change though.

Offline bliss

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 15:47:46 »
So I'm done with saving you, a gift unto myself, a
Tired savior, a wasted favor, and I'm lucky I'm alive

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 17:04:39 »

Things change. 

I mean, if you are living with depression for a long time it's an ebb and flow for sure. But it always, ALWAYS catches up to you sooner or later. All you can do is try and stay ahead of that encroaching dark cloud, but it catches up and always will. I think a lot of people have the mentality of tipping points, if they keep doing good things and trying their best they will someday be happy. But statistically the highest suicide rates are people 45 and older, which just proves you can't run forever.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 18:25:35 »
Nope.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 19:58:44 »

Step 1 through 5. ?

Which laptop you buy ?

Which GPU you buy ?

What SSD you upgrad ?

etc , etc,