Author Topic: What is your first keyboard? Is its layout your favorite one until now?  (Read 11980 times)

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
I just wonder what layout is the most popular one. I started with Keychron K2 75%, but now I'm sticking with TKL: QK80.  :thumb:
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: What is your first keyboard? Is its layout your favorite one until now?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 November 2023, 16:21:31 »
I started with a Model F XT. That's definitely not my favourite layout though xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 03:28:51 »
My first keyboard was just a cheap membrane that I used which isn't very fun to talk about. Yeah it's bad it's to be expected.

My first custom was my fjell. It's currently built with nk creams plateless and is pretty good currently.

I do really like 60% for typing, layers are so convenient. Depends on the game but I usually prefer something like a tkl for gaming, sometimes I accidentely press escape while trying to press 1 or tab while playing some games which messes me up, which a tkl avoids cause the esc is above it. if I'm playing something with my 60 I usually have it bound to my layers so I can still access it.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 06:48:35 »
i dont even remember my first ever keyboard, might have been the keyboard on my moms old gaming laptop that i used when i was little

my first decent keyboard was a Leopold FC660M, great board still

my current main is an HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S and i love it for pretty much anything besides competitive gaming (I use a Wooting 60HE for that). the layout is near perfect imo
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2023, 09:47:18 by mohawk1367 »
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 09:30:12 »
I've long since forgotten my absolute first keyboard beyond that it was likely a Dell-branded rubber dome keyboard of some sort, so I'll narrow down to keyboards as I got interested in the hobby (circa 2019). I guess that would be:

I like both, but for different reasons and scenarios. I would say the M122's layout is amongst my favourites - it's not too different to typical ISO layout (being from the UK, that's what I'm used to) but you get a lot of keys for macro usage and I really enjoy the plus-shaped nav (the middle key is an Enter key, making menu surfing and command repeating in PowerShell or a Linux terminal very quick). I have the desk space for such a keyboard, so it works very well for me.

The SK-8840's layout is that of a classic IBM ThinkPad layout. It's essentially a TKL in the width of a 60%. It wouldn't be my first choice on my desktop to be honest (it's a laptop keyboard in a case after all), but its compactness makes it very versatile and it doesn't make too egregious (IMO) layout compromises to achieve said compactness. It's certainly my favourite laptop keyboard layout, but outside of laptops, it's still very useful for space-constrained desktop environments, for servers (server console kits were in fact the main market for these keyboards), and for carrying around (some of its siblings like SK-8845 could come with a convenient pouch). Amongst ThinkPad enthusiasts, the classic ThinkPad layout family (there were several iterations over the years with minor differences) is still very beloved. In 2017, Lenovo developed a version for the 25th anniversary ThinkPad.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 November 2023, 09:34:43 by sharktastica »

Offline wjrii

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 09:45:24 »
My first first keyboard was the one that came with the Atari XEGS, and if my parents and Atari hadn't conspired to make sure I never got a Floppy drive to save my Basic programs, whether original or copied in, I'd probably still have it.  It was a nice enough rubber dome for a kid I guess, roughly a 60%.

First PC keyboard was whatever Model M descendant came with the Tandy 1000 RSX.  First mechanical was a Drevo Calibur v1, which I still have, though with new keycaps and the (tiny) battery for the (useless) Bluetooth stripped out. I do like the layout though, which apart from replacing tilde with ESC, is still a subset of the 104key, like an F-row-less TKL.

My favorite layout is none of these, but rather the 1800.

Offline xjack312

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 16:45:07 »
First mechanical board was one from Corsair, first custom board was a Tada68 kit, and currently using any Alice boards
Alice enjoyer

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 17:48:18 »
First keyboard
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Tandy_1000

Now prefer my own Kyria layout
3 thumb switch per hand

Offline kyoshi

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 November 2023, 08:31:19 »
My first was the GMMK 1 Compact. Pretty good ngl, I loved the 60% layout. I'm now waiting on my neo65 to arrive

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 November 2023, 09:38:58 »

i dont even remember my first ever keyboard

my first decent keyboard

Around the turn of the millenium I retired my pre-Windows Dell system with an AT101 (which I liked and kept, it still works to this day) and got a Compaq system with an SK-2800 "media" keyboard that I liked and used, I found the media keys which were across the top and were soft and rubbery to the feel to be very useful. Over the next few years I got a couple more (for ~$1 at yard sales and thrift stores) as backups.

Around 2010 I got a used Northgate Omnikey with a few dead keys at a salvage store. Knowing nothing about mechanical switches but liking the keyboard, I sent it to Northgate Bob (R.I.P.) and he restored it. From there I started on the trek and joined GH and DT. That convinced me to get a Model F XT and a pre-Soarer converter box (I can't recall the name but it was clunky and cost over $50 - far more than I had paid for the keyboard) but of course the layout drove me nuts.

Then I got a Model M and later a trio of non-working trashed F-122s for $85 from which I built 2 that worked, and by then Soarer had posted his firmware and PJRC were selling Teensies so all was good.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 November 2023, 10:21:54 »
First mechanical keyboard was a Varmilo 87 in a white case, amber lights, and Cherry Whites. I also had a Gen1 GMMK full size that my (now wife) glitterized to her hearts content. I seem to always go back to a full size keyboard as desk space is not an issue for me and in my day to day, I do enjoy a numpad.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 November 2023, 14:20:04 »
As many others I have long forgotten my actual first keyboard. I was born in 81 & we had PCs in our house as long as I can remember so most likely an Apple KB with SKCC ALPs was my real first KB. What got me into the modern MKBs was a Rosewill Apollo RK-9100 (full sized) with MX browns. When I built my first gaming PC I figured might as well get the best KB & mouse I can for it which lead to mechanical KBs. I still hadn't found the hobby so I came across the Apollo on Newegg & nabbed it. Then I found MK.com which lead me to grabbing a MK Disco (TKL) with KBT Browns (either Kahil or Outemu OEM). Then I found the hobby & all bets were off LOL! Nowadays I can't say I have a single favorite layout as I have different sized boards for different reasons. Probably the only layout I actively avoid is 100% cause I feel like 1800 accomplishes the same thing in a better package. If I was pressed to pick a favorite layout I'd say it's a tie between TKL 8K & Alice layouts.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 05:14:03 »
Probably the only layout I actively avoid is 100% cause I feel like 1800 accomplishes the same thing in a better package.

I prefer full size over 1800 (even though 1800 is heaps prettier) because of split rs, where my fn key is and it's so hard for me to switch back.

Another thing is that I only buy boards above an 60/alice cause I think they look nice like tkls for example, I really only use the 60% area, since that is what I'm used to + my hands don't have to stretch as far to reach some keys which feels nicer to type on in a way
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 10:15:50 »
Probably the only layout I actively avoid is 100% cause I feel like 1800 accomplishes the same thing in a better package.

I prefer full size over 1800 (even though 1800 is heaps prettier) because of split rs, where my fn key is and it's so hard for me to switch back.

Another thing is that I only buy boards above an 60/alice cause I think they look nice like tkls for example, I really only use the 60% area, since that is what I'm used to + my hands don't have to stretch as far to reach some keys which feels nicer to type on in a way

Yeah I get that, I'm a split RS & split BS enjoyer myself. I actually run both with all myboards that allow for it, even TKLs. Which some see as sacrilegious but it's what I'm used to.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 18:35:47 »
My F-122/Soarers started throwing out random keypresses and I don't have the energy to troubleshoot it at the moment - and my backups are securely boxed up and put away.

So I got out a Northgate Omnikey 101 with white ALPS and boy is it nice! Blindfolded I might not even recognize it as "clicky" since it is so "domesticated" in comparison, and I sure do miss my extra keys - especially the media keys I have programmed into the top row.

I'm glad that I have 3-4 of these, including ones with transplanted oranges and blues.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 21:34:58 »
Yeah I get that, I'm a split RS & split BS enjoyer myself. I actually run both with all myboards that allow for it, even TKLs. Which some see as sacrilegious but it's what I'm used to.

Split bs on tkls is not as bad as some people say it is but still not great. I probably just have full bs and bind backspace to where it would be, only thing it really does is make tilde where esc is, but could always just rebind that as well.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 04:58:07 »
I just wonder what layout is the most popular one. I started with Keychron K2 75%, but now I'm sticking with TKL: QK80.  :thumb:
Just realised this; I'm guessing you are quite young if that's your first keyboard? =o

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 07:57:32 »
Just realised this; I'm guessing you are quite young if that's your first keyboard? =o

you can remember your FIRST keyboard??
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 22:21:23 »
It was a gift from my friends who led me into this rabbit hole   ;D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 02:41:30 »

you can remember your FIRST keyboard??
Yes, I put it in an earlier post :p . It's a Model F XT from a 5155. I was around four years old when I got it.

Offline Mandan

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 23:38:47 »
My very-very first keyboard was the one on a Timex/Sinclair TS 1000.  It was a true horror.

I went from that to an IBM PC Junior, with the upgraded keyboard, not the original "chiclet" keyboard.

Then to a "Turbo XT", with a BTC 84-key keyboard.  It used foil and foam rubber for the contacts.
 It was below horrible.  I replaced it with an IBM F/XT keyboard.

When I moved up to an AT-class box, I went to an IBM F/AT keyboard.  I used that for about 20 years, finally moving to an IBM Model M when too much software demanded F11, F12, right-alt, and right-control keys.

I never cared for the M "surfboard" layout, and after suffering with it for a decade, I went back to the F/AT last year, after doing a bunch of xmodmap work in Linux, and then going with a Soarer's convertor to do it in hardware.  So, almost a full circle.

Offline wjrii

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 11 November 2023, 17:50:09 »
My very-very first keyboard was the one on a Timex/Sinclair TS 1000.  It was a true horror.

I picked one up at a garage sale when I was a teenager in the mid-90s.  I couldn't believe that tiny thing was a real computer, but dear god the keyboard was BEYOND terrible.

Offline sjmonomane

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 November 2023, 04:47:41 »
I had a friend who collected boards from RAMA, mostly the M60-A model, he had every color. Ever since then I really wanted one, so I finally got the chance to pick up a Kara. I prefered it over the metal ones because I think they sound better. Even though they aren't the best sounding boards due to them being fairly hollow, but I wanted it for the collection. HHKB still remains my favorite layout.

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 12 November 2023, 12:06:36 »
I had a friend who collected boards from RAMA, mostly the M60-A model, he had every color. Ever since then I really wanted one, so I finally got the chance to pick up a Kara. I prefered it over the metal ones because I think they sound better. Even though they aren't the best sounding boards due to them being fairly hollow, but I wanted it for the collection. HHKB still remains my favorite layout.
HHKB layout looks truly professional to bring to work place :cool:

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 12 November 2023, 12:08:55 »
First mechanical board was one from Corsair, first custom board was a Tada68 kit, and currently using any Alice boards
At first, I thought it was a bit hard to type using Alice layout. However, after a few days, it really increased my typing speed. It's hard to describe, but Alice brings a sense of haste to my hands.

Offline clay

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 12 November 2023, 13:10:38 »
First keyboard I bought myself was a Keychron C2 retro. Just early this year. The rest is history on how my interest in keyboards progressed

Offline clay

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 12 November 2023, 13:11:50 »
First keyboard I bought myself was a Keychron C2 retro. Just early this year. The rest is history on how my interest in keyboards progressed

And yes full size 100% is still my favorite layout. After trying out multiple layouts including the 1800, I still miss the good old full size. Thinking of getting extras of the Carolina Mech Fossil.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 06:09:24 »
The first keyboard we had in the house was an early Dell Quietkey. My first keyboard was a, yes, Dell Quietkey. The first mechanical keyboard I bought to use because it was a better typing experience was a Monoprice one with MX Blues in 2014.

However, when I got my first keyboard, I noticed my newer Quietkey felt different to the family one, and I switched it out. I then picked up a couple Models M and an XT as cast-offs from offices and schools, and, despite not being able to use the XT, quite liked it.

The first keyboards we used in schools were PS/2s; I remember the mice. We didn't have official IBM keyboards, we had knockoffs with the AT layout, so I got used to the numpad as the nav cluster, and, despite not using it regularly for over 20 years following that, it continues to be second nature to me.

Hence, when I discovered that someone made the XT usable on Windows, I moved to that and prefer the XT layout...almost.

I think the ideal for me would be an ANSI modded AT with a split right shift. The XT layout, I just remap the tilde key to return to get a medium ass enter, remap the plus to num enter, and it's almost there.

The numpad set 3 for Ellipse's keyboards is also almost there. I would like a function row on the left ideally.

So I think, give me the Focus layout from an Omnikey or something and dump that nav cluster. That's the ideal.

Anyway, to answer the question - yes. I think my first keyboards I USED in school allowed me to be satisfied with just using the numpad on the right so I can have a compact setup. If I can't get the numpad on the right, I prefer full size, like all the rest of the keyboards I've ever really had. The tenkeyless layout is literally one of the dumbest things I've ever seen and anyone who uses one should be murdered in front of their family.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 07:06:16 »
The first keyboard we had in the house was an early Dell Quietkey. My first keyboard was a, yes, Dell Quietkey. The first mechanical keyboard I bought to use because it was a better typing experience was a Monoprice one with MX Blues in 2014.

However, when I got my first keyboard, I noticed my newer Quietkey felt different to the family one, and I switched it out. I then picked up a couple Models M and an XT as cast-offs from offices and schools, and, despite not being able to use the XT, quite liked it.

The first keyboards we used in schools were PS/2s; I remember the mice. We didn't have official IBM keyboards, we had knockoffs with the AT layout, so I got used to the numpad as the nav cluster, and, despite not using it regularly for over 20 years following that, it continues to be second nature to me.

Hence, when I discovered that someone made the XT usable on Windows, I moved to that and prefer the XT layout...almost.

I think the ideal for me would be an ANSI modded AT with a split right shift. The XT layout, I just remap the tilde key to return to get a medium ass enter, remap the plus to num enter, and it's almost there.

The numpad set 3 for Ellipse's keyboards is also almost there. I would like a function row on the left ideally.

So I think, give me the Focus layout from an Omnikey or something and dump that nav cluster. That's the ideal.

Anyway, to answer the question - yes. I think my first keyboards I USED in school allowed me to be satisfied with just using the numpad on the right so I can have a compact setup. If I can't get the numpad on the right, I prefer full size, like all the rest of the keyboards I've ever really had. The tenkeyless layout is literally one of the dumbest things I've ever seen and anyone who uses one should be murdered in front of their family.

whats ur thoughts on hhkb layout lol

Offline wjrii

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 08:22:32 »

Or 40% or Ergodox, LOL.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 08:25:35 »

Or 40% or Ergodox, LOL.

i feel like 40% is just inconvenient with no benefits ngl

Offline wjrii

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 11:47:12 »

Or 40% or Ergodox, LOL.

Fair, and I gave up trying to get used to an ortho 40%-ish, but what are your thoughts on mass murder?  ;D

Offline fanf

• Tony Finch's home page
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 12:20:42 »
The first keyboards I used were on the BBC Micro model B and Commodore PET 4032 (I think). First I owned was an Acorn Electron. I am fond of ECMA-23 bitpaired layouts but they are too weird these days, unless you are Japanese. Now I restrict my weirdness to HHKB-style layouts with ctrl next to A and backspace above enter, tho I can’t be without arrow keys so my current boards are 65% truefox-ish with an extra key (nice).

Offline Seirin-Blu

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 15:20:59 »
Not really sure what my first keyboard was, but my first intentionally purchased mechanical keyboard was an Anne Pro 2. Pretty terrible user experience wirelessly.

Now I mainly use a Jetvan layout Minisub (a 12.75u x 4u 40%). No extra keys I don’t use and has enough keys that layering isn’t awkward.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 16:08:34 »
Started with a Poker 3 when it was cool, My Favorite layouts are 60%, TKL and Corne layout.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline funkmon

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 20:16:41 »

Fair, and I gave up trying to get used to an ortho 40%-ish, but what are your thoughts on mass murder?  ;D

I expect that mass murder overestimates the number of people actually using 40%.

I forgot the Zenith Z-150 was a thing. That is the ideal layout. It DOES NOT get better than that.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 November 2023, 20:24:41 by funkmon »

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 21:58:16 »

layers man... (also you don't have to stretch your fingers as much to acess keys like numrow, which does put less strain on your hands)

Do wanna try 40s, apparently tmo is getting a v3 so maybe I'll try it.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline garynguyen

• Tap hoa Phim
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 22:22:42 »
I dont remember my first keyboard, but my first mechanical keyboard is Ducky One 2 rific. Then I tried Leopold, Keychron, FL-Esports

My first custom keyboard is Keychron Q2 - still use it daily for working. However, my favorite layout now is TKL, I have my Sunset 80 as my endgame keeb at this moment.
AMD 5600X - RX 6600XT

Ducky One 2, Leopold 900RBT
Keychron Q2, Enter67, Tofu65, Sunset80, Wind Z75

Offline LogLab

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 16:44:23 »
My first was an apple keyboard, then a razer blackwidow I think it was called, but then I jumped straight from there to the Corne, which is still my favorite! So compact and easy to carry around.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 19:15:50 »
My first was an apple keyboard, then a razer blackwidow I think it was called, but then I jumped straight from there to the Corne, which is still my favorite! So compact and easy to carry around.

Can one have a momentary endgame keyboard? Surely there's just one.

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 21:36:38 »

layers man... (also you don't have to stretch your fingers as much to acess keys like numrow, which does put less strain on your hands)

Do wanna try 40s, apparently tmo is getting a v3 so maybe I'll try it.
Besides that, the 40s look kinda neat and clean to use and bring anywhere. I have a 40s, but I mostly use it to display keycap and artisan.

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 21:41:11 »
I dont remember my first keyboard, but my first mechanical keyboard is Ducky One 2 rific. Then I tried Leopold, Keychron, FL-Esports

My first custom keyboard is Keychron Q2 - still use it daily for working. However, my favorite layout now is TKL, I have my Sunset 80 as my endgame keeb at this moment.
TKL is the most "balanced" layout to me. Not too big but not too small. Provides full functionality but not anything redundant.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 21:45:43 »
Disagree. I consider the nav cluster redundant since it's already there on the numpad.

I don't know why, sincerely, people don't use the navless layout more frequently. Just leave numlock off and you have 100% of the functionality of the tenkeyless, plus if you want to type in a big ass row of numbers you can do it easily and quickly.

Offline Tseg

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 17 November 2023, 12:52:40 »
My first keyboard came on my Radioshack TRS-80 Color Computer my parents got me in high school circa 1982.  It was upgraded so came with 6MB memory (not RAM) vs. 4MB memory.  It may have been one of the first membrane keyboards made(?).  Got my first mechanical 2 weeks ago, over 40 years later.

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 November 2023, 12:56:52 by Tseg »

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 17 November 2023, 16:07:14 »

My first keyboard was a teletype machine, where you dial up the mainframe in another part of town and feed punch cards into it.  CHONKY  My first keyboard actually designed for typing was Selectric II typewriters in high school keyboarding class.  CHONKY  I still prefer keyboards with nice thick keycaps and a really solid feel.  Hate "exploded" layouts with wasted space that could have keys.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 20 November 2023, 06:57:14 »

My first keyboard was a teletype machine, where you dial up the mainframe in another part of town and feed punch cards into it.  CHONKY  My first keyboard actually designed for typing was Selectric II typewriters in high school keyboarding class.  CHONKY  I still prefer keyboards with nice thick keycaps and a really solid feel.  Hate "exploded" layouts with wasted space that could have keys.

bro damn how old are you

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 20 November 2023, 07:38:02 »

Selectric II typewriters in high school keyboarding class

In my typing class in 1968, we were assigned to manual typewriters for the first half to learn "proper technique" that is - holding the hands a couple of inches above the keys and thrusting the finger down with a flick of the wrist to generate enough force to actuate the key mechanism. It resembled a heron striking a frog.

After we had mastered that we were allowed to move up to the Selectrics at the back of the room for training on the modern typewriters that would be the future standard.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 20 November 2023, 08:08:18 »

In my typing class in 1968, we were assigned to manual typewriters for the first half to learn "proper technique" that is - holding the hands a couple of inches above the keys and thrusting the finger down with a flick of the wrist to generate enough force to actuate the key mechanism. It resembled a heron striking a frog.

After we had mastered that we were allowed to move up to the Selectrics at the back of the room for training on the modern typewriters that would be the future standard.

i mean i know your profile said "weird funny old guy" but i thought that meant you were like 40. im glad i didnt have to type on typewriters lol

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 20 November 2023, 18:57:04 »

that meant you were like 40.

My post from Nov 09 seemed like a stronger indicator of age than something about typewriters.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50202.msg3175351#msg3175351

Offline Mandan

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 26 November 2023, 13:53:53 »
i mean i know your profile said "weird funny old guy" but i thought that meant you were like 40. im glad i didnt have to type on typewriters lol

First you split the end of your stick into a narrow triangle, then you poke that down into the wet clay to make cuneiform.

Much better than the old "chiseled onto rocks" system.  If you made a mistake in clay, you could just smooth it over with your finger and poke the correct character back in.

That new "papyrus" stuff is never going to be a success, though.  Mice will eat it, water will destroy it, and it can simply rot if it's damp.  All those people charging off to the hot new thing, without stopping to consider its drawbacks.  It's almost enough to make you lose faith in the concept of Progress.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #50 on: Sun, 26 November 2023, 14:44:16 »
Went from 80% (arrow keys in the numpad) to TKL, then FC660, then 60%. TKL is still my favorite, followed by the FC660 (67%?) then 60% and full size. As I get older my hands and wrists appreciate the shorter keyboards, but not having F and arrow keys is a bother! An FC660 layout with F keys would be perfect for me.

Offline marksen

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 26 November 2023, 15:10:34 »

If I say that the first keyboard that I gave my heart and soul to was the one supplied with a VT220, how weird, how funny, and how old would that be?

Offline transeurasian

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 05:48:38 »
i dont even remember my first ever keyboard at all :-[

Offline zlobin356

• Hi! My name is zlobin, im a big korean keebs fan!
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 06:05:50 »
My first keyboard was membrane lowprofile keyboard, first mechanical keyboard was a cheap 60% board with BSUN blue's. My favorite layouts: WKL TKL, 60Tsangan, 60HHKB, 75compact
Akko ACR59/Tecsee Sapphire(L)/Shenpo
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2/MX Blue/Cherry POM

Offline garynguyen

• Tap hoa Phim
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 23:04:00 »

TKL is the most "balanced" layout to me. Not too big but not too small. Provides full functionality but not anything redundant.

I totally agree, I tried full size, 96% (1800 compact), TKL, 75% and 65%, I see TKL and 75% are the most balanced layout for both working and gaming. I just change to 75% with Wind Z75 and feel comfortable with it.

AMD 5600X - RX 6600XT

Ducky One 2, Leopold 900RBT
Keychron Q2, Enter67, Tofu65, Sunset80, Wind Z75

Offline TWX

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 18:32:04 »
My first keyboard at home would have come with the Packard Bell XT.  One of these:
305995-0
I probably used most at home a Gateway 2000 'Anykey' battleship keyboard.  It was rubberdome but had a nice feel regardless and was macro programmable.  Doing forums the left side function keys were programmed for bold etc.

Right now I'm not sure.  I use a laptop for personal stuff, or even a phone, but for work I'm still working out what I like.
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline atarione

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 19:49:23 »
1st keyboard was on my Commodor C64,  1st pc keyboard was whatever Compaq included with my K6II 400 pc.. as I recall it was crap.

1st keyboard I bought was a keytronic fullsized membrane keyboard that vaguely looked like a model m but wasn't.

1st Mechanical keyboard was a WASD V1 fullsize mx brown keyboard

and the format I prefer is TKL 87key for sure... I mostly use a Filco MT2 TKL w/ mx-reds.

oh yeah.. I found this.. I have the compaq still (I can't tell what keyboard is hooked up to it), and my P3 1Ghz and my first MS ergo keyboard (I used these for a long time most of the 2000s probably)..  this photo circa 2002.. and yes my cable managements skill are amazing, they are not that much better now honestly. 

My Filco is nearly a decade old I have bought a few keyboards since then most recently a GMK67 but I keep going back to the Filco as I really like it. 

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 06:48:12 »
1st keyboard was on my Commodor C64,  1st pc keyboard was whatever Compaq included with my K6II 400 pc.. as I recall it was crap.

1st keyboard I bought was a keytronic fullsized membrane keyboard that vaguely looked like a model m but wasn't.

1st Mechanical keyboard was a WASD V1 fullsize mx brown keyboard

and the format I prefer is TKL 87key for sure... I mostly use a Filco MT2 TKL w/ mx-reds.

oh yeah.. I found this.. I have the compaq still (I can't tell what keyboard is hooked up to it), and my P3 1Ghz and my first MS ergo keyboard (I used these for a long time most of the 2000s probably)..  this photo circa 2002.. and yes my cable managements skill are amazing, they are not that much better now honestly. 

My Filco is nearly a decade old I have bought a few keyboards since then most recently a GMK67 but I keep going back to the Filco as I really like it.

i too have the keytronic faux-m. its a good poor-man's variable topre imo

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 14:02:49 »

I'm only 36 and whenever I'm at keyboard meetups I out-age almost everyone by a factor of 2 or 3 xD .

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 06:44:18 »

I'm only 36 and whenever I'm at keyboard meetups I out-age almost everyone by a factor of 2 or 3 xD .

never been to a meetup (hopefully this year) but i joined the Deskthority discord server at like 16 or 17 and people thought i was young for some reason

Offline Neongreen

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 06:54:47 »
Keychron K4 96%

I like the look of TKL but I need F row and numpad for my job.
The cramped layout is unpopular with people but I like how symmetric it looks, and I learned new hand positions not to accidentally hit other keys.

Offline wjrii

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 18:32:24 »
Keychron K4 96%

I like the look of TKL but I need F row and numpad for my job.
The cramped layout is unpopular with people but I like how symmetric it looks, and I learned new hand positions not to accidentally hit other keys.

The only issue I really have with that type of layout is that I like to be able to find the arrow keys by feel, whether that means a gap or locating them in the corner. A blocker or otherwise making some space is nice, but a little dab of Bondic on the down arrow, or just something to replicate a decent homing key, is almost as good.

Offline nomodeset

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 07:54:36 »
My first keyboard was a Nightfox it was about 6 years ago. I still remember that around 300 euro's after taxes and whatnot was pretty darn expensive for me. And fun fact I'm actually typing this message on it! I revived it last week with some new switches stabs and a new keycap set!

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 09:49:11 »
My first keyboard was a TKL. Due to my job duties, having a 10 key is very useful and I am not a fan of layers so I have been maining a full size keyboard at both work and home. Home is a GMMK full size and at work is a hand wired Apple AEK2. It's such a stark contrast in keycap feel/height, but I can't decide what I like more.

I like the SA profile keycaps, but I love the feel of the alps switches. Maybe one day we will get an SA profile for Alps.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline AJM

If I ignore my first home computer (Amstrad/Schneider CPC464), my first separate keyboard was the one of the Amstrad/Schneider PC1512. It was a clone of the IBM PC/XT keyboard, but weirder.
The IBM PC/XT layout is still my favourite layout.

Offline mohawk1367

My first keyboard was a TKL. Due to my job duties, having a 10 key is very useful and I am not a fan of layers so I have been maining a full size keyboard at both work and home. Home is a GMMK full size and at work is a hand wired Apple AEK2. It's such a stark contrast in keycap feel/height, but I can't decide what I like more.

I like the SA profile keycaps, but I love the feel of the alps switches. Maybe one day we will get an SA profile for Alps.
you can get some taller caps off alps typewriters but you wont get a full kit. i have canon typewriter caps on my CA66

Offline sarahn27

• Null Design Co
Mine was a Drop Enter. Now I've realized that I don't like TKL's because I rarely use the cluster of keys on the right side. But it was a great entry level keyboard.