Author Topic: New Microsoft "Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop" keyboard and mouse  (Read 28511 times)

Offline Findecanor

New Microsoft "Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop" keyboard and mouse
« on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 21:22:08 »

From Ars Technica: Microsoft’s new ergonomic keyboard is just plain weird looking.

Microsoft is releasing a new tented keyboard in the "sculpt" line, apparently, with scissor switches.
The new thing is that it is tenkeyless, with a separate tenkeypad. A mouse is also part of the package.

The shape is a bit unusual, with empty space in-between the keyboard halves.

I hope that you could put a trackball in the middle. I wish that it was truly split in two halves, though...

Offline gnubag

Re: New Microsoft "Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop" keyboard and mouse
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 21:31:36 »
maybe if it was not glossy.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 21:31:52 »
Lol Microsoft

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 21:33:12 »
Some one should let their peripherals department know of "The Ergodox"

and they'd be like... OHhhhhh,   that's how you make an ergonomic keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 21:33:23 »
Why do companies redesign the 6key?!?

Dell did that - and I just cannot use their keyboards.  I am far, far too used to where Ins/Del/Pg Up/Pg Dn etc. are located.

Logitech have done it to a few of their keyboards too.

Now Microsoft.

Major non-selling point for me.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 21:42:43 »
Whatever.  Nice attempt, guys.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:17:46 »
Could be better than the MS Ergo 4k. Still bad though.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:59:13 »
It could be a lot better, but we should encourage any attempts toward ergonomic awareness. Better shouldn't be the enemy of best.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 17:32:02 »
At least they put the Delete Key in a reasonable position.

I am more upset about the nav keys.
If you are going to put the nav keys in a column, then there is already an established convention that has been used by many thousands (in units) of compact keyboards for desktops and laptops: Home, PgUp, PgDn, End in order from top to bottom. Microsoft breaks that by putting Home/End at the top and PgUp/PgDn at the bottom.

However, they do have two columns here.. so they could have put Del and Insert as 1×1u keys at the top with the other keys in the usual configuration underneath. That would have been even more reasonable. Getting used to new position of the Del key is easier: I have done it.

I am also a bit saddened that Microsoft has not put the right Alt/Alt Gr key under the period key, where it belongs. If you are an ISO user and need to use the key for brackets, braces and other symbols then Microsoft's position of the Alt key is very annoying.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 06:09:12 »
Cool. Where are the middle keys though??!
SmallFry! <3

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 10:27:19 »
Guys,

Any idea if i can get the numpad itself alone? The keyboard is **** but the numpad seems nice.

Thanks.
Peace.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 11:31:51 »
Probably not that good but the design looks decent.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 12:09:02 »
Probably not that good but the design looks decent.
^^This.

Also two spacebars wtf?

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 12:22:37 »
It's not bad but not great.  Looks like they removed some of the extra media keys I was happy to have on the Ergo 4000 and put them on another layer.  Hopefully this isn't the new version of the 4000.

Looks like I'll stick with the 4000 and my SGI granite for now. 

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 12:24:06 »
Also two spacebars wtf?
I guess that the left Space Bar could be configured as Backspace.

There has been another Microsoft keyboard in the Sculpt line with a divided Space Bar, and another that didn't have it, but they have Microsoft signature rubber dome switches that are quite awful and sticky. I expect the scissor switches to feel nicer.

... and BTW:
it's not remotely ergonomic enough
... which is why I posted this thread in "Keyboards" and not in "Ergonomics". My apologies to gameaholic. ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 August 2013, 12:28:12 by Findecanor »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 23:17:53 »
Can't see from the pic - did they add a single key to do Ctrl-Alt-Del?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:24:28 »
Idea: B+
Implementation: D

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:34:10 »
I don't see it.
SmallFry! <3

Offline shrap

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 18:19:04 »
The silliest part of their keyboard launch is the number of sites proclaiming that it's bad because it looks weird, as if looks were the most important thing about an ergonomic keyboard.

Microsoft seems to be the only big manufacturer still trying to make ergo or pseudo-ergo keyboards, we shouldn't give them so much gruff. Logitech is off making yet another iPad keyboard cover.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 18:30:35 »
Ewww chiclet keys. ****ing nasty man.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 19:44:35 »
I would not disregard scissor switches. There are lots of people who like them, just like there are people who like to bottom out on stiff linear switches... None of which is my preference either.

Nobody has anything to say about the mouse? I think it looks interesting enough that I want to try it out.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 20:34:21 »
I quite like scissor switches, particularly in the Apple aluminium keyboard.

The mouse is slightly reminiscent of the Apple hockey puck mouse, which is said to be one of the worst mouses ever.

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 21:14:42 »
Honestly I think it looks kinda ugly. Are egrenomic keyboards like this one ever comftorable?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/ Browns + White LEDs

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 21:55:05 »
The mouse is slightly reminiscent of the Apple hockey puck mouse, which is said to be one of the worst mouses ever.
The big problem with the hockey puck mouse was that is was entirely circular, so that when you grabbed it you could not feel which direction it was facing. When you started moving the mouse in one direction, the mouse pointer moved off in a totally unexpected direction.
I remember the top of the mouse was a piece of blue translucent plastic that was just snapped on. There were third-party replacements (also in translucent blue plastic) that had a bit more elongated shape.

There is however, a precedent to the iMac mouse: by Digital Equipment a decade before. There were several types, but the earliest had two conical wheels instead of a ball. I tried one once; it had different resistance in different directions...

The new Microsoft mouse is actually elongated and the hand position is quite slanted, with a distinct shelf for the thumb. I think it looks more like a Evoluent VerticalMouse that has shrunk in height than a Apple puck mouse. I want to know what angle the wrist would be in, and if the left mouse button is not too horisontal.

Are egrenomic keyboards like this one ever comftorable?
Yes.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 22:04:26 by Findecanor »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: New Microsoft &quot;Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop&quot; keyboard and mouse
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 21:58:25 »
Yes, horrible mouse.

Apple does not always get it right.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 18:10:35 »
The hockey puck was a better mouse than the Aluminium series is as a keyboard :)

Anyone who dislikes MX Brown should be stuck with an Apple Aluminium keyboard for a while ;)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 18:39:14 »
I quite like the aluminium keyboard.  it is the only scissor switch board I have really used, but (apart from getting the occasional static shock in my delicate little finger tips) I quite liked it.  Typing on it was a breeze, the short travel distance welcome.  The flat profile was ergonomic (using the desk as a wrist rest).

The lack of gaps between the function keys was the biggest gripe (apart from the static shocks) as I tend to feel where the gaps are to locate F4 and F9, being the two keys I use most.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 06:11:37 »
I WOULD NOT USE THAT KEYBOARD. I FIND IT TO BE ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS. IT SHOULD BE BEIGE AND SHOULD HAVE FULL SIZE KEYS, LIKE THE ONES THEY MADE 15 YEARS AGO.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Re: New Microsoft &quot;Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop&quot; keyboard and mouse
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 12:16:05 »
Ideally, it should be a nice pie yellow colour, and have a broken caps lock :o
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Pwersha

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:46:37 »
Has anyone here actually used this keyboard yet?

I ordered one to replace my M$ Ergo 4000 that I use at work but I am a bit concerned with the function keys.  It looks like there is a switch in the upper right that switches between the Fn keys and the media buttons.  IMO, this means you pretty much have to chose one or the other because toggling that switch on the fly is not going to be an option. Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:53:37 by Pwersha »
CM Storm QuickFire Stealth - Cherry MX Brown (Home) || Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 (Work) || ABS M1 (Misc)

Offline Lawngahnome

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:25:33 »
Their keyboards tend to be okay. I don't understand the mouse. It's like a softball. Am I supposed to navigate my PC with it, or pitch it?

Offline Pwersha

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 21:10:15 »
My Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop arrived today, quicker than I thought it would. I really like the feel of the keyboard and I don't dislike the mouse either but the Function key/media button toggle switch is just annoying and like I feared there isn't a key combo to work around it.

I was thinking about keeping the keyboard to try it out to see if I could live with that minor downside but I then discovered the "G" key on it would only register about every other time so it is going to go back.  I am just going to return instead of exchange, since they are 3-5 weeks back-ordered on Amazon and I can live with my current MS Ergonomic 4000 for now.
CM Storm QuickFire Stealth - Cherry MX Brown (Home) || Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 (Work) || ABS M1 (Misc)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:03:27 »
My Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop arrived today, quicker than I thought it would. I really like the feel of the keyboard and I don't dislike the mouse either but the Function key/media button toggle switch is just annoying and like I feared there isn't a key combo to work around it.
Please tell us more about the mouse! How is the angle of your wrist when you hold it? Do you get a good enough grip on the mouse or does it feel like it is slipping? Is the ledge for the thumb comfortable? Is the left mouse button pressed at a weird angle?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:18:57 »
Please tell us more about the mouse! How is the angle of your wrist when you hold it? Do you get a good enough grip on the mouse or does it feel like it is slipping? Is the ledge for the thumb comfortable? Is the left mouse button pressed at a weird angle?

Yes, please provide more info here.

I am still using the original 2007 Microsoft 'Natural' Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 and enjoy using it.  I can sit at my PC longer and scroll through huge documents with ease and it never creates any pain like with other rodents.

If the current 'newer' mouse is the same I'll buy two to use.  Oh by the way, please don't make comparisons with the Apple Hockey Puck Mouse, that was an absolute ABORTION on your hands.  It has no thumb rest/grip and it was a single ball-horror that clogged frequently, more than any previous design.  If you are an Apple fanatic than enjoy the 'pain' and misery of using it but if you want a true ergonomic single ball mouse, any older models of Microsoft Mice still reign supreme as leaders - when it came to properly designed input devices.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:25:15 by Elrick »

Offline Pwersha

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:10:20 »
I used a Microsoft Natural 6000 for probably about 3 years, but I got rid of it a couple years back so I am going based off of old memories.  It seems like the new Sculpt Ergo mouse that comes with the kit is really pretty similar.  The only thing that I was kind of surprised by was that it seemed a lot lighter than I remember the 6000 being which was my main complaint with that mouse. The 6000 might have a slightly more aggressive tilt to it, but just barely.  The main complaint that I have with this new mouse is that it only has a single button that is easily accessible next to the thumb rest.  There is a "Start" button that is on top of the mouse that you can fit with your thumb but it is awkward and opens the Start menu by default which isn't that useful IMO. The thumb rest is comfortable and I feel like I get plenty of grip without having the really rubbery piece that the 6K has.

Overall, I found the angle to be very comfortable.  The primary left/right mouse buttons along with the scroll wheel all felt really good. Even with the lack of a 2nd usable thumb button, I wouldn't mind having it for my work mouse.  I currently have a WowPen so it would definitely be a step up.  Don't get me wrong, I like the angle of the WowPen but it is clearly very cheaply made.

After sending it back due to the broken key, I decided that I really did like it so I have another on order from Amazon so now I have to wait again.  I kind of feel like the one that I got was opened even though it was supposed to be new.  I noticed the mouse had scratches on the bottom.  I find that odd since I thought these keyboards were just released but there are Amazon reviews from back on 8/11 so some people must have received them earlier than I got mine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 19:14:40 by Pwersha »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 03:15:24 »
After sending it back due to the broken key, I decided that I really did like it so I have another on order from Amazon so now I have to wait again.  I kind of feel like the one that I got was opened even though it was supposed to be new.  I noticed the mouse had scratches on the bottom.  I find that odd since I thought these keyboards were just released but there are Amazon reviews from back on 8/11 so some people must have received them earlier than I got mine.

I think you got sold an Open Box item because someone else had fun with it and then it found it's way back in the NEW pile and shipped out to you.  Newegg does it as well.  Although lots of people complained about receiving "used" items when they clearly paid NEW price tags for them.  Although I still love Newegg and Amazon just be careful when buying and receiving any items from them.  If it looks 'used' straight away take photo's of the worn/scratched areas and make the manager take note of this problem.

I can't wait to see it being sold on Ebay and I'll buy both to try out.  Although I might keep the keyboard and use the 6000 simply because it's my current FAVE rodent.  Nice and heavy with a brilliant silicone grip around the sides.  It is way better built than the cheapo Wowpen.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 06:57:29 »
I WOULD NOT USE THAT KEYBOARD. I FIND IT TO BE ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS. IT SHOULD BE BEIGE AND SHOULD HAVE FULL SIZE KEYS, LIKE THE ONES THEY MADE 15 YEARS AGO.

BUT IT'S MADE BY MICROSOFT! IT'S EVOLUTION BRO.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Pwersha

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 13:03:25 »
I got my new Sculpt Desktop and I think I am going to keep this one.  The mouse had that same worn look on the bottom so I think it must be something with the packaging/manufacturing that is causing it.  I'll provide a bit more insight once I have had some more time to work on it but if you can live with the goofy Fn key toggle then it is a worthwhile upgrade from the 6000.  I haven't been using the mouse, I'll start using that once I take it into work but I wanted to use the keyboard just to make sure it wasn't another junker.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 20:24:38 »
We should dub this keyboard the PELVIS, because that's what it looks like.  Keep your fingers away from the spacebar divide... :))

Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Altis

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 12:49:58 »
I quite like scissor switches, particularly in the Apple aluminium keyboard.

I also like scissor switches as they can be pretty tactile and have a short depth.  I'd be interested to try this MS keyboard, though I've never had any kind of ergo keyboard before.

People can be pretty quick to judge, it might end up being a pleasure to use.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline tom_seddon

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 20:40:44 »
I bought one of these today, to replace my MS 4000. I've had my eye on one since I first heard of them, and PC World had one in stock, so... I bought it. (Not sure how I feel about paying the RRP for something from PC World, but at least I didn't have to wait for delivery.) So far, it seems decent enough.

Mini bullet point review based on a few hours' use:

Good points:

- Separate number pad. I use the number pad just often enough that I miss not having one, but not so often that I really want it to take up space on my desk on a full-time basis. So I heartily approve of this. May it start a trend! (One plus point of the "interesting" design is that there's actually space for the number pad under the keyboard. So you can have it always close to hand without actually taking up any additional desk space.)

- Decent quality chiclet keyboard, with nice springy keys. Reminds me a bit of the Macbook Pro keyboard, but with a bit less weightiness to the feel. (I suppose because a plastic keyboard has a lot more "give" in it than a metal laptop.) I suppose this sort of keyboard won't be to everybody's taste, but I personally like it, and it is certainly quiet to type on.

- Tasteful compression of keyboard layout. No modifier keys required for standard operations, arrow keys are in the standard inverted T layout, movement keys are in mnemonic positions, and there's a (generously-proportioned) Ctrl and Alt on both sides.

- Split space bar feels very good, especially compared to the MS 4000 debacle.

- Keyboard is small enough to fit in a laptop-sized bag. (For me this will much reduce the size of bag I have to carry around if I want a decent working environment.)

- Good quality construction. Feels solid and heavy, and pleasing to the touch. The keyboard body is shiny piano black, and the keys are slightly textured. Wrist rest is nice, too. I always rated the MS 4000's wrist rest and this one feels just as good.

Bad points:

- Poor ISO layout. The left shift is much too small, and the Return key feels very far away. (Compared to the MS 4000, the keys are spaced slightly further apart, and by the time you get to Return these extra gaps have mounted up.) I quickly got used to this, but I can't help feeling that I'd be happier with an ANSI one.

- Undersized function keys and Esc key, that feel more like buttons than keys. I doubt the small size will bother me - though it's annoying - but the button-like feel might. I'll have to give it time. It certainly feels very wierd.

- It's rather expensive.

- The split space bar doesn't appear to be configurable. A shame, as its less-used half would make an ideal replacement for that distant Return key...

Overall - glad I bought it, even after paying the RRP, and could see myself buying a 2nd one.

Anybody got any suggestions on where to get an ANSI version from in the UK? :)

--Tom
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2013, 20:43:28 by tom_seddon »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 01:13:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

An informative first post - thank you.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 05:22:07 »

Dell did that - and I just cannot use their keyboards.  I am far, far too used to where Ins/Del/Pg Up/Pg Dn etc. are located.

Now Microsoft.

YOU KNOW...FOR ONCE I AGREE WITH YOU! I ABSOLUTELY CAN'T STAND IT WHEN THEY F UP THAT KEY CLUSTER, EXPECIALLY ON DESKTOP KEYBOARDS. JUST USE THE PROPER LAYOUT AND GET OVER IT!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline eugenius

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 01:12:13 »
If they make a version without the mouse I'll consider buying one. From my experience MS scissor keys are good enough and better than most.
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline TechnoMage

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 18:16:56 »
I've had mine about a week now.

Keyboard: At first I thought I was really going to like this keyboard. When you're doing a lot of typing it's very easy on the hands and I love having my mouse closer because of the optional tenkey design. I have found a couple of keys seem to have dead spots.  If I depress the esc key on the far right side, I'll feel it click but the key won't actually activate.  Works fine if I depress on center or left side of key. The slim design is nice and the magnetic battery cover on the back is fantastic.  Easy to take off but the hold feels very firm.  Mouse has the same type of cover.  Wish the keyboard was backlit.

Now the bad.  Forget it if you're a w,a,s,d gamer.  This keyboard can not handle lots of keys being hit closely or a key being held down in gaming situations.  I hung on for 5-10 minutes and then had to plug my ergo 4000 back in.

I'm going to use the keyboard at work where it should work fine but still looking for a good gaming tenkeyless keyboard that has a split/wave design like the sculpt or ergo 4000.

Mouse:  Still getting used to the how this mouse holds your hand/wrist but no real problems with it.  Two things I don't like.  First are the two extra buttons.  Both the Windows button and side button are awkward to hit.  The other issue is lack of dpi settings.  My previous mouse was the Microsoft Sidewinder X8.

Again like the keyboard, this feels like more of a work mouse than a "gaming" mouse.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 00:37:19 »
I've had mine about a week now.

Keyboard: At first I thought I was really going to like this keyboard. When you're doing a lot of typing it's very easy on the hands and I love having my mouse closer because of the optional tenkey design. I have found a couple of keys seem to have dead spots.  If I depress the esc key on the far right side, I'll feel it click but the key won't actually activate.  Works fine if I depress on center or left side of key. The slim design is nice and the magnetic battery cover on the back is fantastic.  Easy to take off but the hold feels very firm.  Mouse has the same type of cover.  Wish the keyboard was backlit.

Now the bad.  Forget it if you're a w,a,s,d gamer.  This keyboard can not handle lots of keys being hit closely or a key being held down in gaming situations.  I hung on for 5-10 minutes and then had to plug my ergo 4000 back in.

I'm going to use the keyboard at work where it should work fine but still looking for a good gaming tenkeyless keyboard that has a split/wave design like the sculpt or ergo 4000.

Mouse:  Still getting used to the how this mouse holds your hand/wrist but no real problems with it.  Two things I don't like.  First are the two extra buttons.  Both the Windows button and side button are awkward to hit.  The other issue is lack of dpi settings.  My previous mouse was the Microsoft Sidewinder X8.

Again like the keyboard, this feels like more of a work mouse than a "gaming" mouse.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks for the review in your first post :)

Microsoft have made a few gaming peripherals, but they do tend to make more business-oriented hardware.  Or just simple hardware that just works (thinking of the MS Optical Mouse, which I am using now).

Offline TechnoMage

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 23:05:54 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks for the review in your first post :)

Microsoft have made a few gaming peripherals, but they do tend to make more business-oriented hardware.  Or just simple hardware that just works (thinking of the MS Optical Mouse, which I am using now).

Don't get me wrong, overall I think Microsoft does a good job at hardware.  For the purpose of full disclosure, I do work at Microsoft (in software, not hardware) and have on/off since 1995. 

I still remember playing around with an early version of the optical mouse before it was released and being blown away that I didn't have to worry about a dirty ball anymore.

My concern is that some of their designs lately seem to sacrifice functionality for form.

As an FYI, I've decided to take the mouse into work too.  Primarily because the keyboard/mouse share one USB receiver but also because I think the Sidewinder X8 works better for gaming.  My home setup is now back to my default Microsoft Ergo 4000 keyboard and Sidewinder X8 mouse.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 23:09:54 by TechnoMage »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 23:10:08 »

Now Microsoft.

YOU KNOW...FOR ONCE I AGREE WITH YOU! I ABSOLUTELY CAN'T STAND IT WHEN THEY F UP THAT KEY CLUSTER, EXPECIALLY ON DESKTOP KEYBOARDS. JUST USE THE PROPER LAYOUT AND GET OVER IT!

it's cuz n00bs don't use those 6 keys.

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 15:59:05 »
- The split space bar doesn't appear to be configurable. A shame, as its less-used half would make an ideal replacement for that distant Return key...

From this review it seems that there is provision for changing one side of the spacebar to 'backspace'.

By the way, could you please Rip-o-meter the keyboard? Just stack nickels on the J key and count how many nickels it takes for gravity to push the key down under the weight of the coins. It should probably be 10-15 nickels but that is a very important metric for me as I have sensitive fingertips.

Thank you!