Author Topic: How to live without windows key?  (Read 4450 times)

Offline ianxblog

• no
How to live without windows key?
« on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 02:52:43 »
Im planning on buying a IBM Model M. But i'm worried about the windows key.

I use it pretty much a shortcut to open apps. (Like Wkey > notepad; WKey > calc) on Windows 7
And I also use Wkey+L a lot.

Did you guys now a good replacement to it? Like an autohotkey script.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back

Offline EDI

Re: How to live without windows key?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 05:46:21 »
Bind it to caps lock key for example. This can be done with Autohotkey.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 06:37:58 »
Ctrl+Esc opens the start menu, but I've yet to be able to use it with other keys for combos.

Or bind it to a key you don't use, as mentioned. On my board, Caps Lock is Ctrl, Ctrls are Alts, and Alts are Windows keys.

Offline wuqe

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 09:47:03 »
I agree to keep it around in some fashion; I use ahk to put a lot more smarts into the win key (e.g. win+w=alt+f4) and simply couldn't make do without it. Either that, or use ahk to bind f keys to all the things you would otherwise do do with the win key.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 12:42:14 »
Ctrl+Esc+Winkey...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 13:05:06 »
Map something that isn't used really like scroll lock to Windows in registry / with sharpkeys. Maybe it's a bit awkward but it is an otherwise useless key for most on modern Windows. I always would use OS level remap for something like this so it always work. I played with AHK some time ago and noticed some things completely disregard it.
I also tried for awhile with Windows mapped to one of extra mouse button. If you have 6+ button mouse perhaps that would work for you. I think best option though is to have a small programmable keypad to use for all things basic winkeyless lack. Windows key, media key, some useful macro / app launch etc.
Personally I just stopped using winkeyless keyboard on modern Windows. It's too inconvenient especially on Windows 8.x. Now I just use those vintage keyboard on system that it is not as important to have windows key function, like 98 (I only use it to run old game that don't work well or at all on modern Windows or DOSBox) or linux/BSD.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:43:53 »
I agree with quickcrx702. Get a buckling spring keyboard from Unicomp. You're getting a brand new keyboard, set up just the way you want.

Buying Model M keyboards almost always involves tinkering. Maybe it's had some keycaps replaced and they don't match. Maybe it has one or two keys which are wonky. Do you want to do the screw mod?

The point I'm trying to make is that while you're tinkering with your 20 year old Model M, your Unicomp keyboard will be right there as a daily driver, working just fine, and with a Windows key, too.
REΛLFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 15:01:40 »
This is part of the reason that I am excited about the 2-key keyboard in the project thread.

I would love to have an outboard Delete key (for use with my other hand while mousing) and Windows key.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 17:20:57 »
I have a buddy who bought a Unicomp board about a year ago. I've not had a chance to use it, but he loves it. And this is coming from a guy who has used model Ms for years.

The Unicomp also has PBT keycaps.

Note that #KRO is something like three keys, which I assume is the same as the old model M. He uses it for coding but can't game with it.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 17:24:57 »
I have a buddy who bought a Unicomp board about a year ago. I've not had a chance to use it, but he loves it. And this is coming from a guy who has used model Ms for years.

The Unicomp also has PBT keycaps.

Note that #KRO is something like three keys, which I assume is the same as the old model M. He uses it for coding but can't game with it.
Like all Ms (and almost all membrane keyboards, the unicomp features 2KRO.

Keycaps are dyesub PBT.

There are differences, but they do feel quite similar between tho unicomp and many M generations.

I recommend replacing the controller and programming the keyboard entirely yourself. map anything you want to the windows key in hardware. Profit from that and the knowledge you gained by performing the mod.

Offline mapple

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 05:01:04 »
you don't need windows key at all why use windows/os at all?
In God We Trust

Offline robertsig

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 07:16:33 »
I have the opposite problem.  I wish I could find a modern keyboard without the Windows key.  Playing old school games are easier with the Alt and Ctrl keys next to each other.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 10:37:07 »
It's possible with GH60 using my layout:

But it's also not entirely winkeyless, it is kept on the right side where it is out of the way for gaming.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 10:40:38 »
Regarding Win+L, I've always remembered this other method. When your butt leaves the seat ctrl+alt+delete. And don't forget enter or it won't be complete.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 11:38:48 »
be old enough that keyboards did not have winkey when you started..........

i hear its biological that way :cool:
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 12:56:00 »
be old enough that keyboards did not have winkey when you started..........

i hear its biological that way :cool:

Normally I'd expect Microsoft Windows to chime in here.

I'll give it a shot

"The only natural evolution was to Windows 95, everything after that was pure icing"