Author Topic: Buying my first mechanical keyboard. Give me some suggestions, please?  (Read 8041 times)

Offline Dzulang

Hey there! Just found this site and hoping you all can help.

I have never used a mechanical keyboard before, so all I know is what I've read. I was looking for a keyboard that's TKL/60% in size, LED back lit, and I'm not really sure what MX switch to get. I do a lot of gaming, and I code quite a bit too. I was thinking Cherry MX Brown; but since I don't know what a "Tactile" key press feels like, I'm not really sure. I'm also hesitant on getting a 60% in fear of it being difficult to use for coding. So if you code and use/have used a 60% board before, would you recommend it or not? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Offline Hellcatz

Re: Buying my first mechanical keyboard. Give me some suggestions, please?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 18:11:03 »
What is your budget?

Offline Dzulang

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 18:19:05 »
What is your budget?

$130-$170. Could probably do $200ish too, but wouldn't want to go much higher than that.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 18:21:59 »
Did you get my pm?

Offline Liar

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 18:23:38 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-mechanical-keyboard

I just got one for Christmas with MX Clears and Side-Printed Mint keycaps, the quality of the keyboard is fantastic, and the PBT keycaps feel great on the fingertips.

Backlighting is available, as well as a wide variety of switches (I recommend the Clears if you like some tactile feedback while typing/gaming, I found Browns to be not tactile enough)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 00:22:28 »
CODE or Ducky shine with MX clears, perhaps?

Browns tend to feel gritty.

Maybe blues or greens if you like the noise.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 06:28:08 »

I have never used a mechanical keyboard before, so all I know is what I've read. I was looking for a keyboard that's TKL/60% in size, LED back lit, and I'm not really sure what MX switch to get. I do a lot of gaming, and I code quite a bit too. I was thinking Cherry MX Brown; but since I don't know what a "Tactile" key press feels like, I'm not really sure. I'm also hesitant on getting a 60% in fear of it being difficult to use for coding. So if you code and use/have used a 60% board before, would you recommend it or not? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Step 1: Order HHKB
Step 2: Use HHKB
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Leave geekhack without hurting your wallet too much
|
HHKB Pro 2 Black (Blank) | HHKB Pro 2 White (Blank)

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 06:35:09 »
definitely avoid browns if you're looking for tactility since you probably type fast. The bump is hardly felt to be honest. It's still a better typing experience than reds in my opinion. It feels like there is more resistance with the browns, even though the actuation force required is 45g as well. As mentioned, you should also factor in the sound that each switch makes. Blues for typing are great not only due to the tactility but also the noise that's made. Also depends what game type you play
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Adriel

• sample text
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 06:52:29 »
Well depends on which one you value more. If coding is part of your job and is more important than gaming, definitely get the clears or the blues. For mechanical keyboards I think you would need to go through several before finding your favorite switch, like what happened with my previous 6 keyboards. It also depends what kind of games you play, FPS, RTS or any other games. I personally think that the switches with tactile feedback do not affect gaming except for certain fps where you needed to excecute combos and rapidly press certain keys. For me personally I do not really like the Blues and I am more of a red and brown person. If I had to choose 1 for all my tasks I would be fine with either red or brown. To me it's something about the subtle bump that makes my fingers want to go back to it everytime. I would be fine with typing and coding with the reds though.
ES-87 Gateron Red | Pok3r Blue

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 07:15:34 »
You could possibly get your hands on a switch tester, which gives you half an idea as to which one you want.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 10:04:18 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ducky-shine-3

Best pick for first backlit mid range TKL in my opinion.  Next step up is a custom board for 300+

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
你搞砸了

Offline Dzulang

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 11:24:14 »
Wow, so many replies haha.
CODE or Ducky shine with MX clears, perhaps?

Browns tend to feel gritty.

Maybe blues or greens if you like the noise.
definitely avoid browns if you're looking for tactility since you probably type fast. The bump is hardly felt to be honest. It's still a better typing experience than reds in my opinion. It feels like there is more resistance with the browns, even though the actuation force required is 45g as well. As mentioned, you should also factor in the sound that each switch makes. Blues for typing are great not only due to the tactility but also the noise that's made. Also depends what game type you play
Well depends on which one you value more. If coding is part of your job and is more important than gaming, definitely get the clears or the blues. For mechanical keyboards I think you would need to go through several before finding your favorite switch, like what happened with my previous 6 keyboards. It also depends what kind of games you play, FPS, RTS or any other games. I personally think that the switches with tactile feedback do not affect gaming except for certain fps where you needed to excecute combos and rapidly press certain keys. For me personally I do not really like the Blues and I am more of a red and brown person. If I had to choose 1 for all my tasks I would be fine with either red or brown. To me it's something about the subtle bump that makes my fingers want to go back to it everytime. I would be fine with typing and coding with the reds though.
I was considering blues before I posted here, although I had read that they're not that great for gaming. I would say coding/typing >= gaming. I mostly play ARPGs like Path of Exile and Diablo 3, but I occasionally play World of Warcraft and League of Legends too. I might have to try what Dihedral said:
You could possibly get your hands on a switch tester, which gives you half an idea as to which one you want.
and attempt to get my hands on a switch tester.

With regards to keyboards linked without any LED back light in them:
http://keyeduplabs.com/
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ducky-shine-3
Best pick for first backlit mid range TKL in my opinion.  Next step up is a custom board for 300+

if they don't have any back lighting, isn't that something people put on themselves if they want? I wouldn't know much about it, but I'm sure it's not that hard. I could be 100% wrong though. :D

I looked around some this morning and I really like the 60% look. There's only a few I've found though; Poker II, KBP V60, and Ducky Mini. If anyone has ever used one of these, I'd like to know what you think about them, please.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I didn't expect this many when I woke up.  :)

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 11:28:35 »
As far as i know there are no led mods on a topre keyboard(the spacing doesnt really allow it)(maybe you could try el wire), otherwise i would not need a second keyboard to stare at the pretty leds.
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 11:40:34 »
My favorite form factor in a keyboard is 60%, and my favorite keyboard layout is that of the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 (HHKB Pro 2). I don't particularly care for backlighting. I had one backlit keyboard and I sold it. All my others are non-backlit, except some have LED indicators for CapsLock, etc.

The HHKB Pro 2 is a great keyboard with its 60% form factor and efficient/intuitive layout. It also has Topre 45g switches and dye-sublimated keycaps that are beautiful to look at and with a dry lightly textured touch. However, not everyone likes Topre switches or the HHKB layout, and the HHKB Pro 2 is one of the more expensive keyboards available.

I recently got two KBP V60 Matias keyboards, one with Matias Click switches and one with Matias Quiet Click switches. The tactility is great in both keyboards. The Matias Click is very loud, but I enjoy the auditory feedback. To me, the Matias switches feel better than any Cherry mx switch, and I have tried most of them, including blue, green, red, black, brown, and clear.

I had a Poker II with mx blues, but I sold it because I don't like Cherry switches that much and I also don't like Cherry stabilizers. In addition, because the Poker II has hardwired Pn and Fn keys, I was not able to remap all the keys to my liking. I remap all my keyboards to something as close as possible to a Mac/HHKB layout using Karabiner software for the Mac. BTW, I have one Cherry mx keyboard -- a WASD V2 87 "Barebones" with mx browns. The WASD has Costar-type stabilizers, which I like very much.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 12:02:30 »
If you want tactile, you're probably better off going with clears, since the bump on browns isn't very pronounced. That's not to say that they're bad per say, some people prefer them, but it doesn't get much better than lubed clears for tactile switches
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Dzulang

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 13:04:14 »
If you want tactile, you're probably better off going with clears, since the bump on browns isn't very pronounced. That's not to say that they're bad per say, some people prefer them, but it doesn't get much better than lubed clears for tactile switches
My favorite form factor in a keyboard is 60%, and my favorite keyboard layout is that of the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 (HHKB Pro 2). I don't particularly care for backlighting. I had one backlit keyboard and I sold it. All my others are non-backlit, except some have LED indicators for CapsLock, etc.

The HHKB Pro 2 is a great keyboard with its 60% form factor and efficient/intuitive layout. It also has Topre 45g switches and dye-sublimated keycaps that are beautiful to look at and with a dry lightly textured touch. However, not everyone likes Topre switches or the HHKB layout, and the HHKB Pro 2 is one of the more expensive keyboards available.

I recently got two KBP V60 Matias keyboards, one with Matias Click switches and one with Matias Quiet Click switches. The tactility is great in both keyboards. The Matias Click is very loud, but I enjoy the auditory feedback. To me, the Matias switches feel better than any Cherry mx switch, and I have tried most of them, including blue, green, red, black, brown, and clear.

I had a Poker II with mx blues, but I sold it because I don't like Cherry switches that much and I also don't like Cherry stabilizers. In addition, because the Poker II has hardwired Pn and Fn keys, I was not able to remap all the keys to my liking. I remap all my keyboards to something as close as possible to a Mac/HHKB layout using Karabiner software for the Mac. BTW, I have one Cherry mx keyboard -- a WASD V2 87 "Barebones" with mx browns. The WASD has Costar-type stabilizers, which I like very much.

I liked the look of the key layout of the HHKB 2, but it is a little out of my price range. I have no idea the feel of any mechanical keyboard So I'm about to order a tester for Cherry MX switches, I guess I could do the same for Topre.

While I like the idea of being able to remap the keys to what I want, it's not a huge game changer if I can't. Seeing as how I've never done anything of the sort, I wouldn't miss a feature I have never had the chance to experience.
As far as i know there are no led mods on a topre keyboard(the spacing doesnt really allow it)(maybe you could try el wire), otherwise i would not need a second keyboard to stare at the pretty leds.
Thanks for the info! I'll look into El Wire, just in case I decide to get Topre.

« Last Edit: Sun, 28 December 2014, 13:05:50 by Dzulang »

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 13:15:10 »
You could try the Type Heaven or Novatouch if you want to try Topre on a budget. They'll generally retain most of their value if you don't like it and want to resell, or at least the Novatouch will. Don't see many Type Heavens in the classifieds, so I don't know what the resell value of those is like.

As for Cherry boards, my first and currently only one is a Ducky Shine 3 with MX Browns. I've tried Browns on a switch tester before I got this board, and I didn't like them nearly as much as I do on the Ducky, so I'd say it's better to try switches on an actual keyboard to really get a feel for whether or not you like them. As others have mentioned, Clears will definitely be a better tactile switch than
Browns, however.

Massdrop has the Varmilo VA87M currently for $109, as well as the Shine 3. If you can sacrifice LEDs, think the Varmilo would be a really decent first TKL board. Great price, lot of choice as far as switches, nice PBT caps stock, and good build quality. If LEDs are an absolute must, I'd highly recommend the Shine 3.
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 19:23:45 »
To be honest, I don't get why you'd need backlighting at all. For someone who code, I believe you've had enough experience typing and know where all the keys are including the symbols without even looking at the keyboard.

As they say, liking the topre is not for all. But for me, I personally like topre cause it doesn't make my fingers feel tired at all. I also do code, and I mean alot as well as game, mostly MMORPGs but have not encountered any problems using the HHKB, well, aside from the fact that I'm having a hard time using a normal layout keyboard now (backspace placement and control key placement is better on the hhkb imo). Do note that topre feels way different from Cherry MX (They say that topre is tactile which I think it is but the way the tactility works in different imo, topre suddenly collapses whereas on cherry mx you can hold it over the tactile point if you want to). For programmability, there exists hasu's controller which supports multiple layers so that solves that problem.

Better find a switch tester or someone near you willing to let you try their board (specially this topre thing, there are no testers as far as I know). First step to choosing a board is finding out which switch you like.
|

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 19:35:34 »

My MX preference for gaming/coding is MX brown. I couldn't get use to gaming on blues (counter strike) and I found MX greens to be too heavy for extended coding. Browns for me was a good compromise.

I use a 60% (hhkb) for coding and have no regrets.
Also: You might be able to try out different switches at stores like Best Buy or Microcenter.
RETIRED

Offline Dzulang

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 21:10:34 »
To be honest, I don't get why you'd need backlighting at all. For someone who code, I believe you've had enough experience typing and know where all the keys are including the symbols without even looking at the keyboard.

As they say, liking the topre is not for all. But for me, I personally like topre cause it doesn't make my fingers feel tired at all. I also do code, and I mean alot as well as game, mostly MMORPGs but have not encountered any problems using the HHKB, well, aside from the fact that I'm having a hard time using a normal layout keyboard now (backspace placement and control key placement is better on the hhkb imo). Do note that topre feels way different from Cherry MX (They say that topre is tactile which I think it is but the way the tactility works in different imo, topre suddenly collapses whereas on cherry mx you can hold it over the tactile point if you want to). For programmability, there exists hasu's controller which supports multiple layers so that solves that problem.

Better find a switch tester or someone near you willing to let you try their board (specially this topre thing, there are no testers as far as I know). First step to choosing a board is finding out which switch you like.
It's not about my lack of knowledge of the keyboard, I just think it looks cool. I actually just got back from a friends house who has a keyboard with Cherry MX blues. I liked them quite a bit, but I don't know anyone else who'd have a mechanical keyboard to try such as that. Especially a topre board.
My MX preference for gaming/coding is MX brown. I couldn't get use to gaming on blues (counter strike) and I found MX greens to be too heavy for extended coding. Browns for me was a good compromise. I use a 60% (hhkb) for coding and have no regrets.
Also: You might be able to try out different switches at stores like Best Buy or Microcenter.
I don't know of a Microcenter near me, but I think there is a Best Buy. I'll go check it out. Thanks!

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 23:14:10 »
You could buy a switch tester but I wouldn't recommend deciding on which board you want just because you like pressing the switch tester, it's a completely different feel between pressing 1 button compared to typing with all your fingers. I honestly lol'd at the "it looks cool" part. Anyway, that's the downside to topre, you either find someone who has one or gamble on it that hopefully you'd like it.

I'm out of advice, if ever I did give advice on my posts here. Good luck with your search. :D
|

Offline Dzulang

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 23:32:36 »
You could buy a switch tester but I wouldn't recommend deciding on which board you want just because you like pressing the switch tester, it's a completely different feel between pressing 1 button compared to typing with all your fingers. I honestly lol'd at the "it looks cool" part. Anyway, that's the downside to topre, you either find someone who has one or gamble on it that hopefully you'd like it.

I'm out of advice, if ever I did give advice on my posts here. Good luck with your search. :D
Lol don't make fun! I've never had one. Ya thanks for all the help, really appreciate it. :)

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 23:44:58 »
I honestly lol'd at the "it looks cool" part.

Why else would touch typists like backlighting? :P It's why I wanted a backlit board. I can't stop fiddling around with the lighting modes on my Shine. lol
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 00:09:41 »
+1 for ducky or filco
switch type is very subjective..
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 03:07:28 »
If you did want a switch tester, this one is quite reasonable: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/cm-switch-tester

Apart from looking like a tiny little keyboard, the switches are plate-mounted in a plastic case and feel quite like equivalent switches in a real keyboard.

Plus you can use it to display your 6 favourite artisan keycaps later on.

Or, if you are feeling adventurous, you can wire in a Teensy and USB port and actually turn it into a little keyboard (this has been done!).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dimmu

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 03:16:04 »

tried this but for some reason i can't proceed to step 4.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 04:30:13 »

tried this but for some reason i can't proceed to step 4.

That's because there are so many other keyboards to try :p

Offline Adriel

• sample text
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 08:24:15 »
I have also personally played the games you mentioned, since you won't be playing much FPS which require rapid pressing of WASD and more of RTS which needs more of precision than speed. And if you also prioritize coding over gaming. I would recommend the tactile switches for you. If you're fond for the clicky sound of the blues, I would 100% recommend it for you. If not the clears or browns are not a bad choice either although most of the people do not favor the browns due to the tactile bump being to subtle to even feel when typing.
I however am different than most keyboard users. I somehow do not like the blues at all and their clicks just annoy me after a period of like 1 month. I personally prefer the browns or the reds no matter what I am doing. For some reasons I type at the same speed on the reds and browns and somehow I seem to like light switches a lot. I'll have to say that buying your first mechanical keyboard is like a new experience and it's hard to ever find the "right switch" or the "right keyboard". However I would say that the blues are a good starting point.
ES-87 Gateron Red | Pok3r Blue

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 08:36:10 »
Oh heck just look at the Rosewill RGB80 keyboard.

http://www.rosewill.com/products/2647/ProductDetail_Overview.htm
http://www.rosewill.com/landingpage/rgb80/

I like Rosewill keyboards too.

Offline Dzulang

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 12:37:00 »
Turns out I had another friend who just got the Corsair K70 RGB with MX reds and I went and tried his out. I think I prefer blues, but I've only typed on reds and blues.  :D

I also decided I want to get a 60% board, and I was looking at the Poker II with blue led/cherry switches, but it seems they have discontinued it. :( The only other ones I've found are Ducky Mini and KPB V60. I know the V60 has no macro programming, and that it uses Cherry stabilizers. I haven't heard many good things about those. But I am still considering ordering a V60.

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 18:44:10 »
Turns out I had another friend who just got the Corsair K70 RGB with MX reds and I went and tried his out. I think I prefer blues, but I've only typed on reds and blues.  :D

I also decided I want to get a 60% board, and I was looking at the Poker II with blue led/cherry switches, but it seems they have discontinued it. :( The only other ones I've found are Ducky Mini and KPB V60. I know the V60 has no macro programming, and that it uses Cherry stabilizers. I haven't heard many good things about those. But I am still considering ordering a V60.

Go buy a duck viper and put blacks on that (IMO blacks feel like topre without the topre collapsing tactility only black I've tried so far is infiniti's). Don't even bother going browns, browns suck. When you're typing fast you can barely feel the tactility. Greens are like a heavier blue but if your board is all green I doubt you can type on it for long hours without growing abs on your fingers.
|

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 18:56:30 »

In today's mail, I got a Poker II that I bought from qtan's store. I also recently got two V60 keyboards -- one with Matias Quiet Click switches and the other with Matias Click switches. I like them both, and I like them much better than the Poker II. I much prefer Matias switches over any Cherry mx switch, and I can program the V60 to my liking using software -- I use Karabiner for the Mac. I can set up my V60 with a Mac/HHKB layout and not have any dead keys on the keyboard; I cannot accomplish this with the Poker II.