Author Topic: I successfully added a trackpoint to my Kinesis Advantage Pro  (Read 17850 times)

Offline ryanc

Gutted a IBM KPD8923 for it's Trackpoint IV after seeing Input nirvana's wiki page.

Front:

(note, I have since replaced the trackpoint head with a clean one)

Edit: The keys around the trackpoint stick were trimmed with a dremal cutoff wheel

Inside:

Edit: As Input nirvana, I severed some lines for the keyboard matrix which had to be replaced via wires.

Closer view of trackpoint attachment:

Closer view of trackpoint controller:

It had a PS/2 port for attaching an additional mouse, but I de-soldered that and then dremeled the board so that it would fit in there. Also de-soldered the electrolytic capacitors a bit so that they could bend out of the way to allow the keyboard to close cleanly.

The USB hub I added (4 port mini smart hub - got it from a random eBay seller):

The hub is a bit tricky - It's actually connected so that the keyboard's built-in USB hub is connected off of the new hub which the data wires on the cable have been routed to.

I have a convoluted perl script that makes the K, L and ; keys act as left/right/middle click respective when the trackpoint is or has recently been active. It's kinda flaky, and my long term plan is to do a controller replacement that has trackpoint integration so that I can get that feature natively.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 July 2014, 16:58:49 by ryanc »

Offline ryanc

I successfully added a trackpoint to my Kinesis Advantage Pro
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 18:02:48 »
Er, sorry, I guess this should have gone in the modifications forum. Could a mod please move it?

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 20:50:23 »
Wow!
Let's talk more...looks great....check on the controller mods on GH and Deskthority.

Any additional info/close ups and specs of the USB board, Trackpoint mounting, and physical work you've done is appreciated.

Once this thread is moved to the 'modifications' subforum, I'll put a link in the wiki so anyone that monitors the original article will find your great work. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 June 2012, 21:29:35 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline sordna

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 June 2012, 02:20:19 »
ryanc, congrats on THE mod !  

BTW I just moved this under modifications, where it belongs.

Hmm, would a laptop's trackpoint work? I have a couple ibm or lenovo laptop keyboards, but their trackpoints are awfully flat/short whatever you wanna call it.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ryanc

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 June 2012, 16:19:56 »
Quote from: input nirvana;610069
Wow!
Let's talk more...looks great....check on the controller mods on GH and Deskthority.

Any additional info/close ups and specs of the USB board, Trackpoint mounting, and physical work you've done is appreciated.

Once this thread is moved to the 'modifications' subforum, I'll put a link in the wiki so anyone that monitors the original article will find your great work. :)

I am planning to do my Kinesis Advantage (the Advantage Pro is my work KB) in the near future as well as soon as I get a hold of more trackpoints. The trackpoint is just mounted with hot glue, nothing fancy ;-) .

The 'USB board' is just a stripped down cheap USB hub which you can get for a few dollars - here's an amazon marketplace seller: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FFT8Z6/ I would agree with the reviews that this is a very low quality device - among other things, I noticed it lacks any sort of power protection circuitry. Despite that, it's fine for this. I'll try to sketch up a wiring diagram.

The PS/2 USB converter is just a generic one I picked up at Fry's, nothing special there.

Offline ryanc

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 June 2012, 16:20:42 »
Quote from: sordna;610194
ryanc, congrats on THE mod !  

BTW I just moved this under modifications, where it belongs.

Hmm, would a laptop's trackpoint work? I have a couple ibm or lenovo laptop keyboards, but their trackpoints are awfully flat/short whatever you wanna call it.

Yeah, I don't think there's any way you could make this mod work with a short stick :-(

Edit: Oh, and thanks. It took me about half of memorial day weekend (though that included cleaning the keyboard).

Offline ryanc

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 June 2012, 17:34:31 »
Quote from: input nirvana;610069
Wow!

I actually got a mechanical drawing of the Kinesis control board from them Friday evening (though it didn't include location/diameter measurements for the mounting holes), I'll be designing some replacement PCB, and my plan is to order extras and sell them at-cost to anybody who wants one (after I get a design put together, perhaps I should get a head count?).

My plan was to base the design on this one: http://humblehacker.com/blog/20100814/hacking-the-kinesis-contoured-keyboard-part-ii/ - I know he's on the forums somewhere. Were there some other specific mods you could point me to?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 June 2012, 21:19:32 »
- Humblehacker has been laying low for almost a year, hasn't responded to my direct emails. He is in the SF bay area.

- The 4 port hub...yes, I used a cheapie as well. Are you able to offer info on what might be a better unit to use?

- Hot glue the Trackpoint? Crazy! Never thought to do that....I'm curious about the longevity of that connection.

- Mechanical drawing of the Kinesis controller? Is that something that can be shared with us here?

- I'll make a list of relevant controller threads and post them here for you.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 12:59:23 »
THE ALL-IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:

How is the usability of the integrated Trackpoint?
Do you have RSI? If so, does this help?
What drawbacks do you notice?
Any positives other than the obvious?
Are you on PC or Mac?

Offline ryanc

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 18:29:12 »
Quote from: input nirvana;610575
- Humblehacker has been laying low for almost a year, hasn't responded to my direct emails. He is in the SF bay area.

- The 4 port hub...yes, I used a cheapie as well. Are you able to offer info on what might be a better unit to use?

- Hot glue the Trackpoint? Crazy! Never thought to do that....I'm curious about the longevity of that connection.

- Mechanical drawing of the Kinesis controller? Is that something that can be shared with us here?

- I'll make a list of relevant controller threads and post them here for you.

- How is the usability of the integrated Trackpoint?

- Do you have RSI? If so, does this help?

- What drawbacks do you notice?

- Any positives other than the obvious?

- Are you on PC or Mac?

I'm also in the SF bay area, actually.

I don't know of a better hub, I had a few sitting around from a previous mod (USB SNES controller w/ integrated 4GB flash drive to store games) where I got extras. The hot glue actually came loose once already, probably because I just didn't use enough of it. I've added more and we'll see how that goes.

I've followed up with Kinesis to get some clarifications and make sure they're cool with the controller drawing getting re-posted, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem.

Regarding usability, I'll preface this by noting that I've never been very fond of trackpoints, and I've only used this for about two weeks now. I've had pretty serious RSI issues in both wrists which the kinesis has gone a long way towards solving, but my right wrist still has issues from manipulating a trackpad (I had one of the bigger smartcat ones mounted in the upper middle of the kinesis). I'll have to give it a month or two to be able to tell how much it helps.

The usability is "okay". The script I have for mouse clicks is not ideal and a bit flaky, but I haven't come up wth a better option for buttons. I've also not yet gotten the sensitivity/acceleration parameters to a good spot - the main problem there is that I have a triple monitor setup that's 5760x1600 pixels (first world problems....) and according to IBM's spec sheet the default sensitivity is 'suitable for a 1024x768 screen', and the trackpoint controller settings are tweaked by custom PS/2 commands that PS/2-USB converters can't issue. Building my own controller for the keyboard+trackpoint setup should allow me to solve, or at least minimize, all of these problems.

I'm a Linux user, and the computer I use this keyboard on has AwesomeWM installed, which is already designed to minimize mouse usage.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 19:00:13 »
Thanks for the detailed info, very, very helpful.

Hot glue....great for some stuff, not so sure this is a good application. I believe you need a mechanical attachment and possibly a backing between the Trackpoint and the bottom case half.

I'm not a Trackpoint fan either...I like touchpads and even better...RollerMouse. I have a RollerMouse Free 2. If you have serious RSI, please take a look at a couple threads on Rollermouse on Geekhack. I've contributed to them. Use the search for a couple threads for "RollerMouse", but here is a good one:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:21048&highlight=rollermouse

EDIT--- I added a link to this page and used the pic of the finished product in my wiki to show someone else has done this.
Eventually I'll clean up the wiki page so it's more readable and nice, rather than the hodge-podge it's turned out to be.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 June 2012, 19:04:09 by input nirvana »

Offline sordna

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 21:55:10 »
ryanc,
I'm a linux user too. Have you tried mouskeys (on the keypad layer) ? That's what I'm doing currently, using one of the extra buttons I added for momentary access to the keypad layer, and run mousekeys (xkbset m) on the OS.
If you have tried it, let me know how it compares to your mod!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ryanc

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 22:30:27 »
Quote from: sordna;611006
ryanc,
I'm a linux user too. Have you tried mouskeys (on the keypad layer) ? That's what I'm doing currently, using one of the extra buttons I added for momentary access to the keypad layer, and run mousekeys (xkbset m) on the OS.
If you have tried it, let me know how it compares to your mod!

I have the right control key mapped as keypad 5 for use withe mousekeys, but the problem I have with that is the switching between left/right/middle click is really clunky.

Offline ryanc

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 22:34:44 »
Quote from: input nirvana;610950
Thanks for the detailed info, very, very helpful.

Hot glue....great for some stuff, not so sure this is a good application. I believe you need a mechanical attachment and possibly a backing between the Trackpoint and the bottom case half.

Seems fine now that I've added more glue.

Quote from: input nirvana;610950

I'm not a Trackpoint fan either...I like touchpads and even better...RollerMouse. I have a RollerMouse Free 2. If you have serious RSI, please take a look at a couple threads on Rollermouse on Geekhack. I've contributed to them. Use the search for a couple threads for "RollerMouse", but here is a good one:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:21048&highlight=rollermouse

A few people at work have these... they don't seem like they'd work well with a kinesis though.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 22:51:49 »
Quote from: ryanc;611018
A few people at work have these... they don't seem like they'd work well with a kinesis though.

I admit it is not a match made in heaven, it works well enough for some (me and a few others on GH/Deskthority) and not so much for others. Also I don't have RSI. I am not a programmer/write thousands of words daily computer in my face kinda guy...so it's not so crucial. Hence the integrated Trackpoint on the Kinesis. I have a mock-up at the end of my wiki with a shortened RollerMouse bar in the middle of a Kinesis. I have a RollerMouse I am going to cut down to 8"-10" and try to intergrate. Next year.

Offline uberben

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 09:37:01 »
Quote from: ryanc;610493
My plan was to base the design on this one: http://humblehacker.com/blog/20100814/hacking-the-kinesis-contoured-keyboard-part-ii/ - I know he's on the forums somewhere. Were there some other specific mods you could point me to?

I'm currently working on making a custom controller based on the humblehacker as well, though mine will be combination USB/BlueTooth. I also plan to integrate some mini joysticks (kind of like the ones on the PSP or 3DS, but smaller and supposedly higher accuracy). I currently have a bunch of the prototype hardware and am about to start writing the software. I'm curious to see how your controller turns out.

Quote from: ryanc;610945
I'm a Linux user, and the computer I use this keyboard on has AwesomeWM installed, which is already designed to minimize mouse usage.

Linux user here too. I've been meaning to give AWM a go, but haven't found the time to really commit some time into learning.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 09:44:58 »
Damn, this is very cool. Kinesis should steal this idea.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 14:56:54 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;611191
Damn, this is very cool. Kinesis should steal this idea.

Which idea? The integrated Trackpoint? Kinesis has been aware (at some level) that I had stuck an IBM Trackpoint in an Advantage since mid-2010. As well as the integrated Apple Magic Mouse scrollball.

MAJOR KINESIS ADVANTAGE IMPROVEMENTS:

1-Integrated pointing device
2-Palm keys
3-"Real" function keys
4-Split keyboard

Offline ryanc

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 15:39:26 »
Quote from: uberben;611185
I'm currently working on making a custom controller based on the humblehacker as well, though mine will be combination USB/BlueTooth. I also plan to integrate some mini joysticks (kind of like the ones on the PSP or 3DS, but smaller and supposedly higher accuracy). I currently have a bunch of the prototype hardware and am about to start writing the software. I'm curious to see how your controller turns out.

You doing this on pref-board or a proper PCB? I'd love to take a look at what you've got to see if it's possible to make something modular.

Offline ryanc

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 15:43:12 »
Just ordered two more keyboards to pull trackpoints out of.

Offline sordna

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 17:11:39 »
Quote from: ryanc;611446
Just ordered two more keyboards to pull trackpoints out of.

What are the best/cheapest donor boards for this, and where do you find them ?

Offline sordna

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 17:15:30 »
Quote from: input nirvana;611403
MAJOR KINESIS ADVANTAGE IMPROVEMENTS:

1-Integrated pointing device
2-Palm keys
3-"Real" function keys
4-Split keyboard

Can you please make a few large posters of this and mail them to Kinesis?
They should keep them on their walls until they deliver !

Offline uberben

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 18:23:34 »
Quote from: ryanc;611444
You doing this on pref-board or a proper PCB? I'd love to take a look at what you've got to see if it's possible to make something modular.

The plan is to get a proper PCB made up, but right now I just have various breakout boards and solder-less bread board.

My plan is to make it somewhat modular. I'm thinking I'll leave a space on the custom PCB where the blue-tooth module can be populated and make it optional, then I was also trying to think of a way to make the Kinesis-compatibility modular as well. One of my Kinesis-using friends wants to use the existing controller and use the fact that even the new boards produce PS/2 signals to make a PS/2 to blue-tooth adapter, and he has donated a bunch of the parts, so I have some extra motivation to make it at least somewhat modular :)

Offline ryanc

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 19:54:40 »
Quote from: sordna;611515
What are the best/cheapest donor boards for this, and where do you find them ?

I'm using IBM KPD8923s from eBay - e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-KPD8923-Keyboard-Mouse-Combo-/370602631018

Also, a present from the wonderful folks at Kinesis:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1KAlKgaZjhD9evtd71xptPkh3yV_JQgvH6-z85w0Bz7pXlxOqrgVqHKKJ7Io5

https://docs.google.com/open?id=19ezifrQPUDgVuUVhbBtqwAFmBdnBHrqO7K-uqwJiEiw--c9I7MYd08a8yut-

Edit: and the ZIF connector for ribbon cables http://octopart.com/39-51-3134-molex-239507
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 June 2012, 11:53:58 by ryanc »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 23:52:56 »
The ebay seller you post has had many KPD8923 keyboards in the past. I managed a buy for 3 of us with about 10 boards from him. Wish I had bought more...they were $30 each, shipped.

I'm gonna post the Kinesis diagrams in the Kinesis wiki....is that ok?

Offline ryanc

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 00:36:36 »
Quote from: input nirvana;611778
I'm gonna post the Kinesis diagrams in the Kinesis wiki....is that ok?

Yeah, they told me it was cool to repost them

Offline Input Nirvana

Re: I successfully added a trackpoint to my Kinesis Advantage Pro
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 23:09:18 »
Raync.....so it's been a while...looking for some feedback from you on how the integrated trackpoint is working for you....as well as the other stuff.

Offline ryanc

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:03:49 »
So, updates. I still have this keyboard, and still use it, but I find I need to use a mouse as well as the trackpoint. The big problem is that my mouse button emulation stuff is fussy and the default settings of the trackpoint (which I can't change without raw access to the PS/2 interface - I really should build that...) are pretty unsuitable for my triple monitor setup - takes too long to move around. At some point When I Have The Time(tm), I'm going to try to make something that can send raw config commands to the trackpoint and see if that makes a difference.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 22:53:33 »
Thank you for update. Sure wish you came to Keycon!

Triple monitor setup...yea, that's a lot of horizontal real estate, kinda tough with a track point unless you can get the speed ramped WAYYY up :(

I look forward to more info/updates on your fine tuning :)

My Split Kinesis has been offline for so long...I have made ZERO progression with it, nothing has evolved BUT with the overall advancements on GH, I have a superior plan for it I'll share soon.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 12:55:58 »
So, updates. I still have this keyboard, and still use it, but I find I need to use a mouse as well as the trackpoint. The big problem is that my mouse button emulation stuff is fussy and the default settings of the trackpoint (which I can't change without raw access to the PS/2 interface - I really should build that...) are pretty unsuitable for my triple monitor setup - takes too long to move around. At some point When I Have The Time(tm), I'm going to try to make something that can send raw config commands to the trackpoint and see if that makes a difference.

Ryan

Let me give you a cheap solution which I use for my own computer. Needless to say if Gutz the clumsy and incompetent can do it, you can do it better.

Using autohotkey, I scripted win-x (x being any number from 1-9) to make the mouse jump to various points on my multi monitor array.

If you do that, you can greatly speed up the movement of the trackpoint. In fact if you are using with a trackpoint which presupposes you aren't going to want to move your hands from the keyboard, I would like to suggest using win-x to move the mouse to any part of the screen. EG win-= for top right of screen, win-backquote for top left side, win-/ for bottom right and win-z for bottom left.

If your mouse emulation software is iffy, autohotkey offers cheap solutions that can simulate mouse movements. I am a big fan of the win key, but not as Bill Gates intended it to be used for. I never use it for anything except custom macros.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline ryanc

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 10:36:48 »
Thank you for update. Sure wish you came to Keycon!

Me too - I didn't find out about it until after it was over, and I could have easily made it down there. :-(

Offline ryanc

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 10:38:59 »
Ryan

Let me give you a cheap solution which I use for my own computer. Needless to say if Gutz the clumsy and incompetent can do it, you can do it better.

Using autohotkey, I scripted win-x (x being any number from 1-9) to make the mouse jump to various points on my multi monitor array.

If you do that, you can greatly speed up the movement of the trackpoint. In fact if you are using with a trackpoint which presupposes you aren't going to want to move your hands from the keyboard, I would like to suggest using win-x to move the mouse to any part of the screen. EG win-= for top right of screen, win-backquote for top left side, win-/ for bottom right and win-z for bottom left.

If your mouse emulation software is iffy, autohotkey offers cheap solutions that can simulate mouse movements. I am a big fan of the win key, but not as Bill Gates intended it to be used for. I never use it for anything except custom macros.

I don't use windows and therefore can't use autohotkey, but there are things under Linux that would do much of what you describe here.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 10:40:21 »
Where are you?
Haatas monthly Kiibohd meetup is this s Saturday. It's at Massdrop, will be a larger group of Geekwhackers, and Massdrop peeps have others coming as well. This is one to not miss. I've been trying to contact local GHrs via PM to make them aware  as well.

HAATAS MOTHLY KIIBOHD MEETUP THREAD:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61396.0
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 August 2014, 10:45:02 by Input Nirvana »

Offline ryanc

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 11:19:22 »
Where are you?
Haatas monthly Kiibohd meetup is this s Saturday. It's at Massdrop, will be a larger group of Geekwhackers, and Massdrop peeps have others coming as well. This is one to not miss. I've been trying to contact local GHrs via PM to make them aware  as well.

HAATAS MOTHLY KIIBOHD MEETUP THREAD:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61396.0

I live near SFO. Unfortunately I already have plans for Saturday, but I will probably come next month.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 11:30:12 »
Yea, Labor Day weekend.... complicates things.