Author Topic: Keycap sets that include Mac media keys?  (Read 4261 times)

Offline daniellee003

Keycap sets that include Mac media keys?
« on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 18:10:56 »
New member here! Just finished my first project of upgrading my Keychron K2 (non-hotswappable, RGB, brown switches, metal frame).

I've switch-filmed and lubed the gateron browns (205G0), lubed + trimmed + band-aided the stabilizers, added foam between the plate and board, and filled the bottom case with a silicone mold.
It looks stock, but feels and sounds like a completely different keyboard!

The next step for me is to find a keycap set, and as a Mac user, I've hit a wall. I've found nothing with top row Mac media keys. There are maybe a few sets here and there that include the command key, but there were NONE with the top row Mac media keys.

Has anybody been able to find Keycap sets that include them (brightness, mission control, Launchpad, keyboard brightness, media controls, volume)?

Thanks!

Offline Xyzzyka

Re: Keycap sets that include Mac media keys?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 23:33:55 »
Extended 2048 has a media kit, just off the top of my head.

Offline g_hack_it

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 15:43:27 »
The only ones I've seen that match the k2 are keychron retro xda set. If you're willing to drop the F labels then you could create a DSA set of your own on pimpmykeyboard.com. DSA is a uniform profile (so any key works on any row), so you can start with a set and get individual keys to fill in the gaps.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Offline daniellee003

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 07:21:26 »
Extended 2048 has a media kit, just off the top of my head.

I think that may be the only custom keyset that I've ever seen with Mac media keys (excluding WASDkeyboards). It is the aesthetic that I'm looking for too! The price, unfortunately, is a little too steep (~$170 vs. Keychron's $40).

The only ones I've seen that match the k2 are keychron retro xda set.

I reached out to Keychron and they told me their retro keycap sets will be back in stock in May, so that's likely the keycap set I'll end up purchasing.

Thanks to y'all for your input!

Offline Riverman

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 12:44:12 »
Varmilo makes Mac keycaps with media key icons, but unfortunately they're only available on the Mac versions of their keyboards.  I bought one of those just for the keycaps, and used them on a Realforce RGB for a while.  That MT3 2048 set looks nice.  I hadn't seen that one before.

Offline Xyzzyka

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 17:28:10 »
Glad you found something! More importantly, glad you found something (imminently) in stock!

Offline daniellee003

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 17:12:11 »
Keycap set finally came in (Retro PBT OEM profile)!

Here's my video showing how amazing they look and sound.

Online Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 17:40:18 »
To clarify for people: There is no universal standard for which media functions are on which function keys.

Apple has their layout which they use on their keyboards ... and some third-party keyboards for Mac do use Apple's layout. Luckily, that includes the Keychron K2 and keycap sets made especially for the Keychron K2.

On most keyboards the Fn key is a key that doesn't produce a scancode sent to the computer, but which is captured by the keyboard itself and just makes it produce different scancodes when used together with other keys.

Some keyboards do however also allow the function of the Fn/Media keys to be configured by MacOS ... but they do that by masquerading to the computer as a genuine Apple keyboard — which MacOS will handle differently to other keyboards.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 April 2021, 17:42:20 by Findecanor »