Author Topic: [IC] Proton 65% - a 65% throughhole southpaw  (Read 4248 times)

Offline D3lta_M3

[IC] Proton 65% - a 65% throughhole southpaw
« on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 08:04:57 »
Hello,

Over the past couple months, I have wanted to a 65% southpaw, where you have to solder in all the components (through-hole).

The layout is fairly simple having a numpad / mirrored numpad on the left side of the board, and on the right side of the board are the main alphas. In between however are all the components which are needed. It has been pointed out that there is no switch button based off of the render. Some of the components I chose for the render were of wrong proportions, so I need to fix the footprints, and we will be able to see the reset button.
More
266784-0

Pricing:
I have been working on getting quotes from vendors near me so that I can get acrylic. I haven't ordered or checked any pcb manufacturers so the price there is unknown as well.

Case:
A few people noted that there was a lot of space on the top right corner of the board. I was originally planing on making an small icon there and leaving that to be all that takes up that real estate. I heard you, so the question is OLED or rotary encoder. In the case of the OLED, there is not much except that is will be fairly square sized. In terms of the rotary encoder, due to it being named proton, there is an atom, and the rotary encoder will be where the nucleus will be. (It'll be functional and aligned to the holes for the diodes, in case that description seems bad to you) The render is below:
More
265963-1

Github:
I forgot to do this last time, but I will be making the board open-source once I finish.

Other things:
I am not doing ISO, because I do not want to change the plate as it is right now, in the same vein, I do not have the ability to make the numpad both mirrored and non, so it will be mirrored, due to the weird acoustics that it would cause with the extra cut outs.
I did in fact include a 6.25u space layout for all you people out there, who don't want symmetrical split space, or extra wide space.

Timeline:
End of IC: ?
Start of GB: ?
End of GB: ?
Shipping: ?

Change log: (dd/mm)
20/4 - Yes I changed the entire thing to be more verbose, but also more informational.
        - Created first prototype, and am revising the case design to make it slightly prettier as well as fixing some of the problems which come with engraving.

Form:
https://forms.gle/bmEYSYpJfPV9F2bbA
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2021, 17:45:03 by D3lta_M3 »

Offline powwu

• Discord
Re: [IC] Proton 65% - a 65% throughhole southpaw
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 10:44:53 »
you:

the guy she tells you not to worry about:

...or it's supposed to be a knob.

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 11:04:36 »
instant cop  :thumb:

Offline D3lta_M3

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 17:21:36 »
you:
Show Image

the guy she tells you not to worry about:
Show Image

...or it's supposed to be a knob.

Supposed to be a capacitor, and I'm working to figure out why its so tall on the KICAD render.

Offline densus designs

• * St. Jude Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 07:59:19 »
nice layout!

Offline BirgusLatro

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 10:10:27 »
Looks great, excited to see where it goes!