Author Topic: CMoy Amplifier  (Read 43645 times)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
Re: CMoy Amplifier
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:41:38 »
Wires and plugs don't have measurable effects, but the important thing is the aesthetics and the ergonomics of the plugs and cables. People who believe cables make a audible difference either have expectation bias, placebo effect, etc. It's ridiculous how much people charge for cables.

Edit: we've gone from CMoys to headphone recommendations to impedance adapters to DIY parts in this thread :x

Ain't nobody got money for ergonomic plugs and cables.

Why do you even bother responding to my posts?
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:16:21 »
TheGunner, Pointyfox knows all about audio equipment. That's the jist of what I've learned in this thread. I shouldn't have even wrote this review because I could've just asked him.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:34:01 »
TheGunner, Pointyfox knows all about audio equipment. That's the jist of what I've learned in this thread. I shouldn't have even wrote this review because I could've just asked him.

That's questionable... but there's no need to make pointless posts/troll while i'm just trying to be helpful.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:35:30 »
I was being sarcastic  ;D

You've been more than helpful while he's been trolling this pretty hard.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:44:12 »

Ahh okay xD

TheProfosist, check out Toxic Cable's ebay store. They're very well known and respected in the head-fi DIY community and i've seen some pretty good cables made from their parts. They have the Furutech, Viablue, and Oyaide 6.35mm plugs as well as various wires.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 13:11:27 »

ive been trolling? I mean I know I was off topic but ive never trolled in me life sir, I swear.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 13:12:04 »

Ahh okay xD

TheProfosist, check out Toxic Cable's ebay store. They're very well known and respected in the head-fi DIY community and i've seen some pretty good cables made from their parts. They have the Furutech, Viablue, and Oyaide 6.35mm plugs as well as various wires.
whoo ill check it out and resport back maybe this time making a new thread?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 13:12:50 »

ive been trolling? I mean I know I was off topic but ive never trolled in me life sir, I swear.

PointyFox, not you Prof.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:40:02 »

PointyFox, not you Prof.

If anyone's been trolling, it is thegunner100 for recommending ridiculous things like $40 "ergonomic" cables.

Anyone who says they're an audiophile is questionable.  10% of the audiophile community are suckers with bad hearing, 2 % actually know what they're talking about, and the other 88% are smart people who create fake reviews and overpriced products to pawn off on the 10% while calling the 2% trolls. 

Check this out: http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

It's a box that's black.  It costs $1,323.  They recommend buying multiples and placing them around your audio equipment.  They even have some scientology description of why it works.  Since I am an engineer, I was able to translate it.  Here's my translation: "It works because since they're black, they absorb more reflected sunlight than other non-black objects, thereby keeping the light reflections away from your audio equipment which they claim makes an audible difference in your music."

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:48:09 by PointyFox »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:42:48 »
Don't get too mad, it's ok. We need trolls too. I mean it only took 5 posts to get a decent answer out of you. I guess thegunner is allowed 5 **** ups too.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:49:22 »
Don't get too mad, it's ok. We need trolls too. I mean it only took 5 posts to get a decent answer out of you. I guess thegunner is allowed 5 **** ups too.

Looks like you were the troll all along.  All my posts have been helpful. 
By all means, go waste your money and ignore me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:51:08 by PointyFox »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:50:50 »
Yeah you're right. You know everything about audio equipment. Please listen to music for me.

It was really nice talking to you, good bye.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:52:00 »
Yeah you're right. You know everything about audio equipment. Please listen to music for me.

It was really nice talking to you, good bye.

I never said I know everything about audio equipment,  though I have spend thousands comparing many high end headphones in addition to talking with audio engineers about them for several years.  I can say I do know much more than you do about them since you made this thread to ask basic questions about them in the first place.   You're just trying to make me look bad by telling me what I am, what I think, and how I act.  And no, you can't dismiss me.  This is a public board.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:54:01 by PointyFox »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:00:32 »
He can ignore you. There's a forum feature.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:01:35 »

Then he should do so silently, otherwise it's just more trolling.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:03:12 »

when was he trolling?

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:06:43 »
I don't think anyone here has claimed that they're an audiophile, nor has anyone here claimed that cables or other components have a measurable effect (except for impedance adapters). So what does the Blackbody have to do with anything? I don't believe i've actually recommended any $40 cables; is there something wrong with wanting to have an ergonomic cable that won't tangle or have memory effect, or good build quality so that it doesn't break?

In page 3 I accidentally linked the grado extension cable. I meant to link the adapter.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:08:04 »

when was he trolling?

Leave this to the moderators.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:09:05 »
I don't think anyone here has claimed that they're an audiophile, nor has anyone here claimed that cables or other components have a measurable effect (except for impedance adapters). So what does the Blackbody have to do with anything? I don't believe i've actually recommended any $40 cables; is there something wrong with wanting to have an ergonomic cable that won't tangle or have memory effect, or good build quality so that it doesn't break?

In page 3 I accidentally linked the grado extension cable. I meant to link the adapter.

I saw your link to the $40 cable and warned him about overpriced cables and "audiophile grade" things.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:10:29 »

when was he trolling?

Leave this to the moderators.

o.O

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:11:07 »
I still don't see where I've actually recommended a $40 cable anywhere in this thread.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:14:10 »
I would recommend getting the 200ohm 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter. the 200 will work well with the low impedance cans, bringing them to around ~250 or so. Around 250 or 300ohm is ideal for the max power output of tube amps too.

so they have a 6.35 to 6.35 as both of the headphones I currently have have built in adapter kinda I guess i could just leave them unscrewed. Also having it stick out like that is kinda odd and I would defined prefer more of a pigtail cable if you know what I mean. Though I have no clue is anyone offeres this sort of thing. Truthfully if id knew where to source the parts I may even be able to throw this thing together my self just reading from the ebay listing kinda what inside it. Also would you happen to know where i can find a high quality 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter as all the ones ive found are cheaply built and seem to have 0 QC.  I need it For my Creative X-Fi HD USB as for some reason they choose to put 6.35mm jacks on the from for your headset while i at least dont know of any consumer headsets that would have that.

The best one will be the adapter. Else you'd have to make your own or get someone else to.
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368738275&sr=8-1&keywords=grado+adapter

Or did you mean 6.35mm male to 3.5mm female? I think these are fine tbh but of course having a 6.35mm termination and then some cable length before 3.5mm female would be nice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Gold-Plated-Plug-Audio-Jack-Male-1-4-6-35mm-to-1-8-3-5mm-Female-Stereo-/160881574088?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item25754a00c8

Edit: wrong link for the grado adapter.

It was this one when you accidentally linked a Grado extension cable before you edited it.  It was similar to this one, but I think was a shorter length: http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Extension-Cable-4-57m-Headphone/dp/B0006DPNNK/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_z

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:16:09 »
Okay... so it's $60 but did I claim anything other than it was an extension cable? I linked the wrong item in the first place. My bad.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:20:45 »
Okay... so it's $60 but did I claim anything other than it was an extension cable? I linked the wrong item in the first place. My bad.

I just warned him about overpriced stuff. I didn't mean to make it sound like you were a crazy audiophile.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 16:29:02 »
Ok so are we done in here?  Let's just play nice and talk about keybo^H^H^H^Haudio equipment.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 17:30:46 »
Returning back to the OP ---> that is a pleasant review of the CMoy.  As with a lot of the chip amp DIY designs, much of the "magic" is just giving the amplifier IC a clean, solid power supply and quiet environment to do it's job.  The support circuitry around the IC is where most consumer grade electronics manufacturers cut corners to save a few cents here and there.  That is how the same chip used in a poor-sounding device can be turned into a great sounding DIY project.

To throw in my two cents about headphones: I recently picked up a pair of the HD-650s off of eBay.  I've also owned a pair of Sennheiser HD-558 for a year or so (with the pads removed from the inside to supposedly make them more like the 598).  While the HD-650 has a really open sound with great low and high extension, the HD-558 is quite competitive.  The 558 is a bit warmer and doesn't quite have as much extension or imaging, but they are really nice.  On a budget, it's pretty tough to justify the cost of the 650.

For more opinions on headphones (like keyboards and switches, a very personal choice), check out the Headphone Thread
Russ

Offline Sniping

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 17:33:55 »
I think the price of the HD650 is a bit deceiving. Though they're $500, which isn't THAT bad, they need an amp that costs about the price of the phone to really make them sing. They sound alright with a cheaper amp like an E17, but they scale very well with better amps like the Bottlehead Crack and Lyr.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 17:35:46 »
The problem with the Sennheiser's in general is their strict MSRP pricing policy. A few years back, the HD600 and 650 were much more affordable than they are now. And yes, part of the costs that people sometimes don't consider is the cost of getting a decent amp for them.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 17:36:01 »
I think the price of the HD650 is a bit deceiving. Though they're $500, which isn't THAT bad, they need an amp that costs about the price of the phone to really make them sing. They sound alright with a cheaper amp like an E17, but they scale very well with better amps like the Bottlehead Crack and Lyr.

I've read they work just fine with an O2

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 18:17:30 »
The 650s sound great on the Matrix-I and not too bad on the E17 either.  I got mine used...I couldn't swallow paying MSRP for them.  For the money, they don't have the best build quality either (compared to a DT880, for example).

But yes, they can be a bit tough for a low voltage amp to drive properly.  The HD-558s are more conventional in that sense as well.
Russ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 18:22:04 »
Figured this should go here since I picked it up today (finally) for my CMOY.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 18:40:47 »
I'm trying to finish the same tin of Altoids for my future CMoy Smallfry! ^__^

And what's everyone's opinion on the O2? Just curious to hear thoughts

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 18:45:21 »
I'm trying to finish the same tin of Altoids for my future CMoy Smallfry! ^__^

And what's everyone's opinion on the O2? Just curious to hear thoughts

I will direct you to the best comparison between the O2 and the magni:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-magni-modi-vs-o2-odac

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 09:44:26 »
I paid $100 dollars for my Grados, for that price range, they are great. Very comfortable on my head. Near perfect amount of bass for my preference.

I also have some HD 280 pro's which are great except sometimes they feel like a vice on my head and have a lot more bass.

I have some pc161's for gaming. They are decent sound quality imo with a great mic(at least that's what i'm told on voice coms) although I'm thinking of trying something different.

I've driven them all with an m-audio firewire 410, a profire 610, a go-vibe and various mp3 players, phones, and pc's throughout the years. Although currently I'm just using a xonar DG which actually has a decent headphone amp built in and the simulated surround sound software is fun to play with because you can move each virtual speaker around the "room" just by dragging and dropping.

I've been trying sub $150 dollar headphones for a long time. These are just the ones I prefer. I don't rely on other people to tell me what sounds good. That would just be ridiculous.
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 09:50:30 »
alessandro MS1s and a cmoy with low gain and high current delivery (maybe an LM chip?) is cheap audio bliss for modern pop and rock music :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 18:20:06 »
Going to be testing out the Roland Tri-Capture with some pretty average monitoring headphones sometime soon.  Not to re-direct the thread, but I feel like I'm not the only one here driving nice headphones with an audio interface.  People who stream/podcast should look into an interface!
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 15:50:54 »
Has anyone tried CMoy with higher-impendance headphones? In particular, I have HD 25-13 (small 600 Ohm drivers) and DT 990 Pro (250 Ohm) in mind. Both should be rather easy to drive (I use HD 25-13 with my phone without any amplification, and a friend of mine regularly listens to DT990s connected directly into an iPad).