Author Topic: Made a Cherry MX numpad  (Read 20232 times)

Offline Tuomas

Made a Cherry MX numpad
« on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:48:32 »
Hey guys.
I lurk alot here, but haven't really had anything worth posting so far. Until now that is.

Short version:
check what I just made!

Long version:
I bought my first mechanical KB almost a year ago, a Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (Brown switches), and I pretty much fell in love with it immediately when I got it. I bought the tenkeyless version because I like to have the numpad on the left side (I'm left handed), a regular numpad is useless. Now, I could have just bought the Filco tenkeypad, but that's not how I roll. I'm very much into electronics and DIY, so I figured it would be a worthy goal to build my own.

I bought a relatively cheap Cherry keyboard (blue switches) from someone around here a couple of months after getting my Filco, for the purposes of disassembling it. I started dismantling it quite soon after getting it, but before I got very far, I put the project on hold for some reason. After more than 6 months, last week I finally got around to actually going forward with the project.

I looked at the original Cherry keyboard for the numpad layout and designed my own board (using KiCAD). I used a USB-capable Atmel AVR as the microcontroller (at90usb162) and I got the initial design finished the same day. I'm currently studying at a University where I've got access to a circuit mill, so I used it to mill the board the next day, then soldered and programmed it. Code was the easy part, LUFA usb library for AVRs is such an easy thing to use.

I've now used it for over a week and it works very nicely.

More info on my website: http://tuomasnylund.fi/drupal6/content/usb-cherry-mx-numpad
All the code and pcb designs are on my github: https://github.com/tuomasnylund

Now, it's not over yet!

I started improving the PCB design abit after some time of using the numpad.
 - Rounded the PCB corners
 - Moved the switches abit more up, to move them closer to the center of board
 - Slightly wider, now evenly sized at 100mm*80mm
 - Hid the programming header under the PCB
 - Made provisions for the numlock being lit by LED underneath (if I get one of those fancy keycaps with a window in them)

I'll probably not mill the new version, but get it made in China with soldermask and silkscreen. I'm also looking at maybe getting some acrylic lasercut for a case of some sort, but we'll see about that. I'm thinking of ordering something in the following weeks. Or maybe I'll just leave the project alone for 6 months again. You never know.

In any case, comments, questions, suggestions, anything like that, are always welcome.

I'll also try to post updates to this topic if I get further with this whole thing.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: Made a Cherry MX numpad
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:50:43 »
WOW super nice :D

Do you know how much the total cost of the project was? Why didn't you just buy a number pad (unless you like DIY :D)?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:52:59 »
this is great! i want to make one :) any chance you would consider making more of the PCBs and selling a kit? i dont have access to the equipment.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:54:30 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:56:38 »
Welcome to GH sir.  Epic first post. ;D

Where can I get that sweet looking Jupiter wallpaper you have?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Tuomas

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 18:32:37 »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Do you know how much the total cost of the project was?
The main cost was the original keybord I dismantled for the switches and can't remember how much I paid for it. 30eur maybe? PCB was essentially free and the other components I had already (component value ~6eur).
Why didn't you just buy a number pad (unless you like DIY :D)?
I like DIY :D. No other reason really.

this is great! i want to make one :) any chance you would consider making more of the PCBs and selling a kit? i dont have access to the equipment.
I've considered that. I have to order multiple PCBs from China if I want one for myself anyways. I could easily sell a couple of PCBs with surface mount components already soldered and programmed. You'd just have to get switches and keycaps yourself and solder those (maybe an LED too) to get a working numpad.
A kit with keycaps, switches and maybe some lasercut acrylic included might require a bit more effort than I'm willing to put into this right now. I'll order a couple of PCBs first, maybe some lasercutting aswell. I might revisit a more ambitious kit after that, if there is interest.

Where can I get that sweet looking Jupiter wallpaper you have?
At a guess:  http://www.wallpapervortex.com/wallpaper-16902_planet_jupiter_jupiters_great_red_spo.html
Pretty much right. It's a mosaic of pictures of Jupiter taken by Voyager 1 back in 1979. Not sure if I cropped the original mosaic myself, or just downloaded a readymade crop.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:23:50 »
Cool stuff! Did you write all the code yourself or did you modify some code that was already out there?

Also, you may want to add some rubber feet and/or add some weight to it to help if it slides around.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:25:26 by SmallFry »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 22:56:41 »
Want one but you think you could change up the layout a bit? I think i have some ideas.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 23:00:53 »

I've considered that. I have to order multiple PCBs from China if I want one for myself anyways. I could easily sell a couple of PCBs with surface mount components already soldered and programmed. You'd just have to get switches and keycaps yourself and solder those (maybe an LED too) to get a working numpad.
A kit with keycaps, switches and maybe some lasercut acrylic included might require a bit more effort than I'm willing to put into this right now. I'll order a couple of PCBs first, maybe some lasercutting aswell. I might revisit a more ambitious kit after that, if there is interest.

ah but of course - i was speaking mainly of the PCB. i would not need a kit or anything like that, just the board with holes and traces. it WOULD be really cool if it ran off the Teensy which is a very popular uc platform in the KB community.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 23:06:37 »
Yep ive actually been thinking about a teensy run numpad for a while now but havnt put any real time into the thought.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 03:12:25 »
This looks really nice! Any plans for a case to put it in?

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Tuomas

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 04:27:03 »
ah but of course - i was speaking mainly of the PCB. i would not need a kit or anything like that, just the board with holes and traces. it WOULD be really cool if it ran off the Teensy which is a very popular uc platform in the KB community.
If I get the PCBs ordered, I could easily sell some bare PCBs for you if you want.

I've got some Teensy 2.0s laying somewhere, but I don't really see a point in using a whole Teensy for this thing. The cost of PCB + parts (switches not included) for my numpad is less than the price of a Teensy. Also it would take more space. The microcontroller I'm using was actually used in the original Teensy 1.0, so most code should work with a simple recompile. I should be able to get a bootloader running on this thing aswell so programming the chip should be as easy as keeping one of the keys depressed while plugging in the USB cable, then running an app on the PC to load new firmware.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Very few people who start their first post with something as awesome as this.

But ...

http://www.amazon.com/DSI-Left-Handed-Keyboard-Black-KB-DS-8861XPU-B-V2/dp/B0009S52X8
http://www.dsi-keyboards.com/dsi-black-usb-left-handed-keyboard-kb-8861xpu-b-v2.aspx
http://www.ergogeek.com/left-handed-cherry-mx-blue-mechanical-keyboard-usb--ps-2-black.html
Thanks. I know about keyboards like that, but they wouldn't have given me an excuse to build my own numpad ;). Doing things the easy way is boring.

Want one but you think you could change up the layout a bit? I think i have some ideas.
Maybe. What did you have in mind?

Cool stuff! Did you write all the code yourself or did you modify some code that was already out there?
Code is based on the LUFA USB library Keyboard example code. I've used LUFA for more complex stuff than keyboards before, so this was easy.

This looks really nice! Any plans for a case to put it in?
Case is in consideriation. I was thinking of sandwiching the next version PCB between a couple of pieces of lasercut acrylic. No idea how that will go.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 13:37:43 »
Very nice. I was considering a project like this recently. Props to you for completing it!

Do you notice any flex with just using the pcb like that with no case? Or is the pcb small enough that it doesn't matter much?

Offline nullstring

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 23:18:59 »
I really like the look of this. I wonder if we can make a whole keyboard like this. Who needs a case!
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 September 2012, 23:42:47 by nullstring »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 00:02:24 »
Ill post some layout ideas soon but my thinking was something close to the realforce numpad but with 2 additional keys to the left one being space the other shift because i planned to use numrow numbers instead of numpad ones to that you also have access to the symbols

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 00:07:59 »
I would love a numpad like this, all the commercial MX ones are too large and have extra row of keys on the top. It would be really amazing in the same style of case as Poker in my opinion.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 00:09:28 »
I would love a numpad like this, all the commercial MX ones are too large and have extra row of keys on the top. It would be really amazing in the same style of case as Poker in my opinion.

Plus most of them have the 0 and 00 keys instead of just the big 0 key. I'd much rather have the singe 0 key like this pad has.

Plus it looks DIY and cool ^___^

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 12:03:05 »
Yes that is another good point, much easier with 2units 0. It's pretty hard to find the 00 Cherry doubleshots, only on a couple models.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 12:04:54 »
Yes that is another good point, much easier with 2units 0. It's pretty hard to find the 00 Cherry doubleshots, only on a couple models.

I just plain don't like the 0 and 00 key. I find imputing numbers easier with the single 0 key

Plus that's what I've always used so I'm used to it

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 16:56:54 »
I was thinking something in the realm of

but better thought out

Offline neeb

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 17:58:13 »
Wow that's beautiful man. I really wish I had the ability to do things like that lol. I need to start dabbling in DIY stuff more, seems much more rewarding

Offline thp777

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 20:20:53 »
nice job. im thinking of doing this and using my extra nostromo board for it

Offline Squiddy

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 17:09:44 »

Make a Kit just needing keycaps, keyswitches and maybe an LED and you've got yourself a buyer right here! :D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 17:18:44 »
I'd be +1 for a kit, I have some extra switches laying around.
I love Elzy

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 01:46:32 »
Would you be willing to design one to my specs?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 02:22:03 »
Oh :/ right, this never happened yet :s

I still need an MX pad.
I love Elzy

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 09:17:01 »
Oh :/ right, this never happened yet :s

I still need an MX pad.

dis