Author Topic: Nostromo mod - Halp!  (Read 1816 times)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
Nostromo mod - Halp!
« on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:25:23 »
Alright, guys. Admist my GB here, I'm winding down in the evenings with some good old fashioned mods.

I have a friend at work, an older gentleman. He has a 23 year old son, who when he was 17 suffered an injury, and was left with TBI, rendering his left hand at like 10% usability. He cannot play video games with keyboard and mouse, but he's mastered the chin/right hand method, but it's not exactly the most comfortable gaming. So my plan is to mod a nostromo for the right hand.

I picked up two nostromos, one for myself on the recent Woot sale for like $35.

Took one apart, and as I've seen said before, the cable is too short to allow it to just be glued to the other side. I figured I can just splice a new cable in there and be good to go, but I've never seen a ribbon cable this tiny before. So my question is, if there is a place I can just buy a longer version of this ribbon cable, if anyone knows the dimensions or keywords I should be looking for in my search.

Worst case scenario, I cannibalize my nostromo, splice the two together to make one long enough, but as small as the wires are, I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. I'm mostly concerned about trying to strip the wires. I imagine it'll be a particular pain in the ass.

He doesn't seem too concerned with money. He's told me to just do what I need to do and let him know what I had to buy for it. So he's happy to put up the $35 for the second nostromo, but I'd like to find a way to not waste 98% of a nostromo for one tiny ribbon cable.

If you have any ideas, let me know!
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Hellmark

Re: Nostromo mod - Halp!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 07:49:48 »
Personally, I'd do individual wires, may be a pain, but better than tracking down a specific ribbon.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 07:57:30 »
Pictures would be very helpful. But I think I know what you mean. My Orbweaver had a tiny ribbon cable and it was a PITA to work with.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 16:31:45 »
Pictures would be very helpful. But I think I know what you mean. My Orbweaver had a tiny ribbon cable and it was a PITA to work with.

Personally, I'd do individual wires, may be a pain, but better than tracking down a specific ribbon.

My problem is that it has a ribbon terminal on the PCB, using individual wires, can I just shove it in the respective slot in the ribbon terminal?

Anyways, I think I've made the decision to salvage mine for it, and use that money to pick up an Orbweaver.

I wish there were a Mech option beside Razer.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 09:57:54 »
You could see about just shoving it in the terminal. Depending on how the end of the ribbon looks, that may work (some, older ribbons had each wire bare at the end, as if to be soldered, but had terminals to just be shoved into). You may look into soldering directly to the PCB instead.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 17:17:10 »
Alright, guys. I've made a decision. I'm cannibalizing my nostromo to make this happen.

I've decided to split the connection end of one side of each ribbon cable, solder the matching connection points together, and then figure out how to insulate.

Plastidip? Would hot glue insulate? I need something I can apply on a very small scale, and though electrical tape would work, there definitely must be a better option.

I'm thinking plasti-dip with a small paint brush. Would this work?

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 23:54:09 »
Plastidip would work.

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:21:15 »
Most glues, once dried and cured, are insulating, and definitely hot glue for sure.  You may want to check before hand to make sure though. (just put some glue on something and let it cure, then do a continuity test across it with a multimeter or something)
RK9000RE w/ Raindrop & DDR arrow keys
Cherry G80-11900LUMEU-2 w/ Red/Black SA keys