Author Topic: Modding a Poker 2  (Read 1477 times)

Offline kaltar

Modding a Poker 2
« on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 00:18:25 »
Since I've had low response on selling my Poker 2, http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52250.0 and part of me doesn't want to part with it, I've thinking that if I get to mod it, I could probably use it.

What I mainly need is to make the 3 left modifiers bigger. to a 2 spaces key. or at least, increase just the modifiers close to the space bar to that size (even if the space bar ends up being shorter) .
This could be achieved, I think, by:
- adding 2 cherry stabilizers on the Plate, and then adding a 2 space key that fits the switch and the new stabilizer.
- moving the existing space bar stabilizers further to the center

The problems would be:
- Is it actually possible to add stabilizers only in the plate that do not need to be in the PCB?
- Adding a different size spacebar. Where can I get it??
- Do I need to desolder all switches to remove the mount plate?

What do you guys think? I'm I dreaming? Is this possible?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Modding a Poker 2
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 00:28:19 »
To make the keys bigger you have to either make other keys smaller or cut up your pcb. cutting up your pcb will 99% lead to failure

Offline kaltar

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 03:14:51 »
To make the keys bigger you have to either make other keys smaller or cut up your pcb. cutting up your pcb will 99% lead to failure

even if it's just adding stabilizers?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 09:28:01 »
1. Is it actually possible to add stabilizers only in the plate that do not need to be in the PCB?
2. Adding a different size spacebar. Where can I get it??
3. Do I need to desolder all switches to remove the mount plate?

1. If you use plate mounted stabilizers you would need a new plate, but you wouldn't have to fiddle with the PCB. However, the switches below would still have to be moved, and the Poker 2 has it's controller near the spacebar switch, so that will be very hard if at all doable.
2. You could harvest one from a Filco Minila or something similar, or you could make one by cutting it up. I don't think that would work very well though and might need a few tries to get soemthing decent.
3. Yes.

Honestly, if you have ergonomic problems, get an Ergodox or something similar - it will probably be worth it in the long run.