Author Topic: Ergonomic keycap profile for Ergodox?  (Read 7860 times)

Offline TK0

Ergonomic keycap profile for Ergodox?
« on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 14:13:05 »
Hello there,

I'm considering a switch to an ergonomic keyboard, like an ergodox or similar. But I'm not sure which keycap profile would be more ergonomic.

I see that most people opt to go with non-sculpted profiles (like DSA ou XDA). Is it a personal preference thing, or is there an ergonomic benefit? I know that non-sculpted profiles allow you to switch your keycaps between rows and make your own layout, but I'd probaby go with blanks keycaps, so this wouldn't be an issue.

What keycaps have you tried with ergodox or similar keebs?

Have anyone here tried the KAT pofile? They do say something about comfort and ergonomics in their marketing material. But, you know, it's marketing... it can be all bs.

Thanks for helping a new hobbyist, and sorry for the loads of questions!
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 April 2021, 17:37:36 by TK0 »

Offline nevin

Re: Ergonomic keycap profile for Ergodox?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 14:46:48 »
I know that non-sculpted profiles allow you to switch your keycaps between rows and make your own layout
yes, this is the main reason.

i've used only a couple profiles & materials over the years (cherry, oem, xda, pbt & abs) and have been using blanks for years.
for me, i like thick blank pbt cherry profile, and thick pbt oem isn't horrible either on a small ergo board either.
- i like the stepping of the rows, especially being blank. (i "rest" my fingers between keys, not on home keys)
- i like the feel of pbt over abs (doesn't shine or get "sticky" when abs shines)
- going blank will force you to touch type

uniform profile is usually the only way to get legends correct with whatever odd layout you're using on your ergo board.

though, going for an ergodox, your options are a lot better than most because it is one of the few ergo boards that you can get extra kits made for ergodox in "most?" keycap group buys.

i can't speak to other profiles or GMK sets as i've never had any

good luck on your hunt and welcome to the hobby.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline TK0

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 17:34:09 »
Thanks a lot for the answer. Didn't expect it so fast!

for me, i like thick blank pbt cherry profile, and thick pbt oem isn't horrible either on a small ergo board either.

I also prefer the more "rough/gritty" feel of PBT over the "smoothness" of ABS, but I've never used good quality/thick keycaps (PBT or ABS). Got my PBT set from aliexpress (OEM profile), but they aren't that thick. Where can I find thick ones with cherry profile? The only cherry profile keycaps I can find are GMK (ABS) and on aliexpress (not sure about thickness/quality).

I'm already used to blank keycaps (at least on a staggered QWERTY-ish keyboard), so I don't think it will be a problem after a couple of days if I decide to switch to an ergodox.

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 April 2021, 17:37:04 by TK0 »

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 20:52:36 »
I'll have to look up the brand of the one set I have that cherry profile pbt (was through massdrop a long time ago) probabably ydmk, but I'll double check.

Currently using a oem profile thick pbt for plank from AE.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 08:27:17 »
Unnecessary.  Tent the keyboard at 45 degrees + and you're good to go.

Stack books in the middle, try it out.

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 11:17:27 »
Thanks a lot for the answer. Didn't expect it so fast!

I also prefer the more "rough/gritty" feel of PBT over the "smoothness" of ABS, but I've never used good quality/thick keycaps (PBT or ABS). Got my PBT set from aliexpress (OEM profile), but they aren't that thick. Where can I find thick ones with cherry profile? The only cherry profile keycaps I can find are GMK (ABS) and on aliexpress (not sure about thickness/quality).

I'm already used to blank keycaps (at least on a staggered QWERTY-ish keyboard), so I don't think it will be a problem after a couple of days if I decide to switch to an ergodox.

- the one set i have is NPKC thick blank cherry profile pbt that i got from massdrop in 2015
- the other was YMDK thick blank oem profile pbt from aliexpress (listing still live)
*** both sets the keycap sidewalls are 1.5 - 1.7mm thick

believe i've seen some on amazon as well. but not sure if that's an option where you are....

search for "thick blank pbt" & see what you come up with.

Offline TK0

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 16:35:27 »
- the one set i have is NPKC thick blank cherry profile pbt that i got from massdrop in 2015
- the other was YMDK thick blank oem profile pbt from aliexpress (listing still live)
*** both sets the keycap sidewalls are 1.5 - 1.7mm thick

Wow. Thanks a lot for all the effort you put to answer my questions. It is a really good welcome to the community, I really appreciate that.  :D  :thumb:

I will check those keycaps. Thanks again!