Author Topic: FPS Tournament (Sponsored by Techkeys.us) POSTPONED!  (Read 39058 times)

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: FPS Tournament ? (Sponsored by Techkeys.us)
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:02:42 »
We have so many suggestions for games, why don't we do a "nintendo world championship" style tournament. Teams of x people compete in (3?) different games and whichever team gets the most "points" (W/L) progresses in the ladder to the eventual finals.

We could do games from 3 different engies. Source could be represented by TF2 or CS, one of the quake games for the quake engine, and then doom or one of the other F2P games. Since it's unlikely that somebody would be proficient in all 3 games played that would eliminate one ringer carrying the team as well.

Also i'll throw in "GeekShot" as a possible title since we don't have many suggestions. I might think of one I like better later but for now throw that in the hat.

I would rather have different Genres/Subgenres: We could have a Source Game, a Quake-style game, something like Nuclear Dawn, Tribes, and something like MechWarrior/WoT/WoWP, and each of the 2 teams gets points based on how well they performed (how many people they lost, how many kills, did they go for the capture or elimination, etc), and whichever team has the most total points ends up with the win.

Alternatively, we could do a 4 team ladder for each game, and do a scoring system based on how they place, then add up the scores accordingly (winner is the one with the highest score.) I'm not entirely sure how large teams should be, but  I'm thinking that 2 teams of 10 may be a bit too large.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:04:31 »
Also many thanks to all who have helped me out so far, I am on a borrowed phone and when I get home tomorrow I will add the interest list as well as update the game list :)
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline iArson

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:11:19 »
We have so many suggestions for games, why don't we do a "nintendo world championship" style tournament. Teams of x people compete in (3?) different games and whichever team gets the most "points" (W/L) progresses in the ladder to the eventual finals.

We could do games from 3 different engies. Source could be represented by TF2 or CS, one of the quake games for the quake engine, and then doom or one of the other F2P games. Since it's unlikely that somebody would be proficient in all 3 games played that would eliminate one ringer carrying the team as well.

Also i'll throw in "GeekShot" as a possible title since we don't have many suggestions. I might think of one I like better later but for now throw that in the hat.

I would rather have different Genres/Subgenres: We could have a Source Game, a Quake-style game, something like Nuclear Dawn, Tribes, and something like MechWarrior/WoT/WoWP, and each of the 2 teams gets points based on how well they performed (how many people they lost, how many kills, did they go for the capture or elimination, etc), and whichever team has the most total points ends up with the win.

Alternatively, we could do a 4 team ladder for each game, and do a scoring system based on how they place, then add up the scores accordingly (winner is the one with the highest score.) I'm not entirely sure how large teams should be, but  I'm thinking that 2 teams of 10 may be a bit too large.

I do think that we should consider some of the games already being played competitively. I support the BF3 idea mainly because its a good game. I get the whole paid/f2p aspect of things, but most of us are avid gamers who own them already. Worst case scenario I can always let someone use my account, and just borrow a friends to stream. I don't think that games should be picked on whether they are paid/f2p. Maybe a voting system should be implemented.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:12:41 »
Any items that are a "one-hit-kill" (e.g. Scout sandman and cleaver combo) require so much skill and timing that 90% of the time you would be better off taking them out with the primary weapon (blasting them 3-4 times with the scattergun).

Where you're saying that the one hit kill weapons take "skill and timing" I'd say it takes luck more than anything. Spam arrows at a doorway that you know enemies are rushing through and you're bound to get a headshot eventually. In my opinion the one hit kill weapons are for scrubs who aren't good with the regular weapons, because they CAN'T land "3 or 4" solid hits with the scattergun, so they grab the FaN, rush in and unload both shots on a heavy and duck back behind cover, reload, and let a teammate finish the heavy off or hop back in for the miracle last hits.

I might be a little more sore on the issue because some weapons (the demoman metal is hp sword comes to mind) are so blatantly OP For arena that it's like they totally forgot it's

in the game, and when I do play TF2, that's what I play.

Anyways, I wasn't looking to start a pissing match, and still don't want this to become that. I was just voicing my opinion on why I would personally like to see (certain?) unlocks restricted. I still use some unlocks consistantly. Like you said you'd be an idiot not to replace the soldier's shovel, or swap for a kritzkreig if that's what the game calls for, but I never use the minisentry or huntsman, for example, unless i'm trying to troll somebody.

I'm not entirely sure how large teams should be, but  I'm thinking that 2 teams of 10 may be a bit too large.

Depends on the games, I think, but 9 man teams are perfect for ND and TF2 (not that anybody cares that much about ND.)

If we had a limit of 27 people, we could do 3 teams of 9, and then play 3-5 different games, either sponsored by somebody who is willing to shell out for copies for those who don't have or F2P.

If we did smaller teams we would either have to consolidate or take ND out of the equation. It's fun but it simply does not work with less than 9 people (1 commander, 2 squads of 3 for objectives, and 2 stealths to provide intel and cap minor points)

Believe me, I've played ND in freindly clan matches, we would need to rig it up for teams of at least 9 for it to be fun. The maps are so big that if you only have 3 or 4 guys you can't respond properly to threats, so you just rush seige and roll up on the bunker and win in minutes.

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:20:27 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:19:13 »
Any items that are a "one-hit-kill" (e.g. Scout sandman and cleaver combo) require so much skill and timing that 90% of the time you would be better off taking them out with the primary weapon (blasting them 3-4 times with the scattergun).

Where you're saying that the one hit kill weapons take "skill and timing" I'd say it takes luck more than anything. Spam arrows at a doorway that you know enemies are rushing through and you're bound to get a headshot eventually. In my opinion the one hit kill weapons are for scrubs who aren't good with the regular weapons, because they CAN'T land "3 or 4" solid hits with the scattergun, so they grab the FaN, rush in and unload both shots on a heavy and duck back behind cover, reload, and let a teammate finish the heavy off or hop back in for the miracle last hits.

I might be a little more sore on the issue because some weapons (the demoman metal is hp sword comes to mind) are so blatantly OP For arena that it's like they totally forgot it's in the game, and when I do play TF2, that's what I play.

Anyways, I wasn't looking to start a pissing match, and still don't want this to become that. I was just voicing my opinion on why I would personally like to see (certain?) unlocks restricted. I still use some unlocks consistantly. Like you said you'd be an idiot not to replace the soldier's shovel, or swap for a kritzkreig if that's what the game calls for, but I never use the minisentry or huntsman, for example, unless i'm trying to troll somebody.

Ok, I agree. To be honest if there's one thing I would change about TF2 it would be to remove the Huntsman because you are right it is just pure luck :P, anyway as you said this isn't the place to start a debate over TF2. Lets talk about some keyboards and get this back on track xD

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:25:42 »
Ok, I agree. To be honest if there's one thing I would change about TF2 it would be to remove the Huntsman because you are right it is just pure luck :P, anyway as you said this isn't the place to start a debate over TF2. Lets talk about some keyboards and get this back on track xD

Agreed. I like keyboards.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:45:49 »
Psh keyboards. Hardcore fps gamer use controller, preferably Atari paddles :))

Offline iArson

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:46:44 »

+1

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:47:43 »

I know it's a joke. . . but still, there are people who think this way. I had a guy tell me that "all the best modern warfare 2 players will take a controller over a keyboard and mouse any day of the week"

Thought he was trolling me until I found out he and his son played Xbox COD and Halo religiously.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:51:52 by Internetlad »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:50:51 »
The only thing Im good at is UT Instagib >:D
But I'm probably in for BF3, UT3 and QuakeLive!

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:55:37 »

Show Image

lulz :))

Just downloaded and played Warsow for the first time and this game is awesome! Cant believe I haven't found this gem before :D

Offline simkev

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:13:43 »
Im so in
I vote for Battlefield 3
JAG ÄR LIVRÄDD FÖR ATT LEVA & JAG ÄR DÖDSRÄDD FÖR ATT DÖ

| Poker X - Ergo Clears & Red Alert 2.0 | Majestouch 2 TKL - Browns & Blue Cream Cheese |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:14:48 »
AHA! I found you! Well, you found me... but anyways. (sorry to the OP for off topic) Who sold you the CCnB set? I remember when they went on sale, but don't remember the seller.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:22:00 »
AHA! I found you! Well, you found me... but anyways. (sorry to the OP for off topic) Who sold you the CCnB set? I remember when they went on sale, but don't remember the seller.

wat

Im so in
I vote for Battlefield 3

I don't have it and I hate origin.

I'm liking the look of Warsow. I assume it's fast paced sort of like a modernish quake?
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:24:31 by Internetlad »

Offline poopmat

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:22:23 »
in fo sho
i vote csgo
or tf2
REΛLFORCE 103u, Ergodex DX1, IBM model M, Daskeyboard II, QFR brown,

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:26:23 »
once we get the full roster, are we doing a themed competition (country vs country, etc) or just RNG it? as long as everybody speaks the same language it shouldn't matter.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 18:19:58 »
Yeah, I could do teams of 9

Oh, and can someone else take over the role of listing people? I'm officially worn out.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 18:45:55 »
Okay, looks like I have 18 Keys for ND (17 raw text keys, 1 steam gift)

I personally have one and it sounds like inteli has one, so if we plan to go ahead with the tourney I can do 18 copies of ND. Other than that the game is 30 bucks for a 4 pack, so we could raise the entry fee as needed to fill the extra spots, or something.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 18:52:20 »

I personally have one and it sounds like inteli has one, so if we plan to go ahead with the tourney I can do 18 copies of ND. Other than that the game is 30 bucks for a 4 pack, so we could raise the entry fee as needed to fill the extra spots, or something.

I had 7 extra copies...but I gave them away :D

If I had known we would've needed them, then I would have kept them.

anyways, All for Nuclear Dawn as a game in the Tourney...It disappoints me how small the community is.
More

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 18:53:58 »

anyways, All for Nuclear Dawn as a game in the Tourney...It disappoints me how small the community is.

too true. IWS tries so hard to keep it on life support too but everybody is too busy playing COD and BF. I'm sure it's the need for teamwork and lack of vehicles that loses ground.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 18:55:39 »

too true. IWS tries so hard to keep it on life support too but everybody is too busy playing COD and BF. I'm sure it's the need for teamwork and lack of vehicles that loses ground.

There were supposed to be vehicles, but they didn't have them working well enough in time for release
More

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 18:58:20 »
If they released ND2 on a better engine it could be really big. Lack of advertising really hurt them too. Great game and nobody knows about it.

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 18:59:55 »
Thanks to this thread, I learned about the existence of Xonotic.  Going to check it out.
My vote would be for Quake Live, but it doesn't look all that popular...
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 19:10:56 »
Nuclear Dawn... never heard of it.  Looks pretty cool.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 19:18:50 »
I'd be up for some CS:S or CS:GO. :)

Offline inteli722

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 19:56:26 »
Counter-Strike (or most paid games, for that matter) are pretty much out of the question, because everyone who doesn't own it would have to buy it, or the people running this would have to gift a copy to EVERY single participant's Steam account (AKA it's expensive). The only reason we MIGHT do Nuclear Dawn is because 2 of us are confirmed to have a copy and one of us has 17 or 18 spare game keys.
More

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 19:58:39 »

What he said. CS and **** the rest. We should get everyone on skype and form teams.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 20:01:53 »

What he said. CS and **** the rest. We should get everyone on skype and form teams.

See post above yours.
More

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:18:51 »
I gotta think 90% of the people here have a CS:S license.  Unless you're super young.  It's been extremely popular since 2003 or something, and still to this day.  But perhaps that's a flawed assumption. :)

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:27:08 »
not css dawgs.. proper cs :D

Offline inteli722

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:32:03 »
Still not sure why people prefer CS1.6 to CS:S or CS:GO
More

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:57:35 »
It's whatever you learned on. the tiny differences between CS 1.6 and CS:S and CS:GO are a huge difference to some people. I played a lot of Source, but I like GO too.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:00:17 »
Sure, go for css if ya want. It might be more fun acctually since its easier for people who havent played that much cs :p

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:00:46 »
Whatever CS we have enough people to do a proper tournament on should be the one I'd say, I'm not sure about the free to play stuff. Last one I got into was Wolfenstein: ET

See post above yours.

No, see post above yours.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:05:27 »
is Goldeneye Source free?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:08:05 »
There are a bunch of games I would buy to participate.  Most of the games on the list are pretty darn cheap.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:10:48 »
Yeah but the problem is with the 2 people who want to participate but don't want to buy a game they don't have, or don't have the means to do so, even if it is only 20 bucks.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:12:11 »
I will buy whatever game that gets chosen :P

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:14:43 »
is Goldeneye Source free?

bwaaaa, if that's a thing, let's do that.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:15:47 »
It is free.

Pirates Vikings and knights 2 is also free and one of the best games evuuur =D

www.cspromod.com also =)

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:18:06 »
I didn't much care for PVK.

And yes, Goldeneye Source is a real thing and totally free if you have Steam and the SDK 2007

http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:21:59 »
This is a tournament, right?  Why does every round have to be the same game?  Don't own a game?  Sit that one out.  Also why the heck aren't we playing right now?  There could be a CS match going on right now!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:23:45 »
gonna download and check out warsow, even if we don't play it, it looks neat.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:31:15 »
word metalliqaz. Perhaps this can be done next weekend or something?

everyone that isnt busy should join, there is nothing to be afraid of. Just play some gamez. :D

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 23:03:52 »
goldeneye on N64?
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Asp

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 23:08:03 »
Quake Live

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 23:52:00 »
I tried Warsow but there were no active servers. I assume a setting is wrong because I figure it would at least show empty servers?

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 23:54:35 »
downloading the game now, perhaps I will have better luck with finding servers :P

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 00:14:47 »
it's tiny small, 500mb. Considering that most games nowadays are like 10 gigs I don't see anybody who would have an issue installing it.

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
FPS Tournament ? (Sponsored by Techkeys.us)
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 01:03:53 »
Okies I haz idea. Why don't we have free games for the tournament (plenty already on the list), then arrange some dates for each of the other games where the people who own them can play them with other forum members.

This means that everyone can take part in the tournament and everybody gets to play the games that they love. Simplez :D