Author Topic: Help: I need a 4k IPS monitor  (Read 23699 times)

Offline Naweo

Help: I need a 4k IPS monitor
« on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 05:33:08 »
Hey!

I am currently looking to buy a LG 43UD79 monitor today, but I am not sure I need it.

I like that it can split into four screens on a single computer, but I have software that can do the same.

Is it smarter to buy a 4k, IPS tv-screen instead of a computer monitor?

(I can get the 43UD79 33% off, used, only 2 months old.)

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, I am looking to get a Dell P4317Q

Thanks!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Help: I need a 4k IPS monitor
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 08:07:54 »
It's ALOT easier to move head from side to side, than Up or Down.

So ergonomically, you'd do 4 monitors all horizontal, or at most 1 above the center monitor for a t-block (tetris)

If this is Your House,  ideally, you'd get 3 or 4, 4K panels ~ 43-65 inch, and put your table in the center of the room, TVs wall mounted, chair behind table against back wall.

This configuration will become the new standard home-office going forward.

There's no reason to stop at 1x 4K panel.  why not 3 or 4.

IPS is only for smaller panels viewed from upclose, That is the case for an Office Office, because the space is not yours.   But there's no reason to do that to oneself at home.

At home you'd get something like 3x 4K  43" VA panels, and view from 4-5 feet.

OR,  3x 4K 60" VA , at ~8-9 feet

OR, 3x 4K 75" VA, at 12-14 feet.

For most things (productivity) 2 panel is enough.

So 2x 4K VA-TV is a good place to start,  if you get the TV version instead of monitors, it's a good idea to have a GPU with 2x HDMI outputs, because then you wont' run into gamma conversion issues w/ displayport adapters.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 08:11:28 »
It's ALOT easier to move head from side to side, than Up or Down.

So ergonomically, you'd do 4 monitors all horizontal, or at most 1 above the center monitor for a t-block (tetris)

If this is Your House,  ideally, you'd get 3 or 4, 4K panels ~ 43-65 inch, and put your table in the center of the room, TVs wall mounted, chair behind table against back wall.

This configuration will become the new standard home-office going forward.

There's no reason to stop at 1x 4K panel.  why not 3 or 4.

excellent job of not even remotely answering his original question

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 08:18:25 »

excellent job of not even remotely answering his original question

inside the box thinking. Tp4 am not.

The question is faulty, Tp4 fixes the question.

Tp4 knows what you need better than you do.

Trust the Tp4.

/OUT of the Box.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 15:37:59 »
I agree. Might show you my setup later.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 13:26:14 »
I'd agree with a variation of tp's answer. my practical solution has always been a big main monitor, and a smaller secondary monitor. i find i can't/don't want to multitask with more than 2 monitors. i can use 2 monitors effectively but the third one isn't used to its fullest potential, but that's just me. after getting my 43" VA tv, I turned my 27" 1440p panel vertical as a secondary monitor. For a few weeks I was convinced I could get by with just the one 4k panel, but the secondary definitely helps when i'm full screened on the main monitor, which is pretty often. oh, and i was convinced that the 4k tv's are a better buy than the 30+ inch monitors. pretty happy with the decision.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 19:03:08 »
I'd agree with a variation of tp's answer. my practical solution has always been a big main monitor, and a smaller secondary monitor. i find i can't/don't want to multitask with more than 2 monitors. i can use 2 monitors effectively but the third one isn't used to its fullest potential, but that's just me. after getting my 43" VA tv, I turned my 27" 1440p panel vertical as a secondary monitor. For a few weeks I was convinced I could get by with just the one 4k panel, but the secondary definitely helps when i'm full screened on the main monitor, which is pretty often. oh, and i was convinced that the 4k tv's are a better buy than the 30+ inch monitors. pretty happy with the decision.

Should just buy 5.. then ur gud' for a while.

Offline DrivenKeys

• portfolio
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 05:34:11 »
When comparing TV vs Monitor, I always go monitor. It's made to be closer to your face, and usually much more accurate. I use a BenQ EW3270U 32" 4k TN monitor. For $400, it's worth every penny. Working in visual effects tuned my eyes for accuracy, and I also suffer a lot of eye strain with cheaper screens. Unlike any tv, this backlight is flicker-free for extended comfort. If you like, this one can even adjust the tones to your surroundings, like our phones. No matter what, go for the monitor. TV's are always a compromise in accuracy, and 'pop' more for viewing at a distance.
1994 Lexmark Model M, Unicomp EnduraPro, EP84/KC84 (Box Navies with gpl107) Leopold FC900R (MX Clears), Ducky One (MX Whites), Das X50q