Author Topic: Looking for a single j-shaped or "bigass" enter keycap  (Read 8174 times)

Offline dreydin

Looking for a single j-shaped or "bigass" enter keycap
« on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 00:09:41 »
Are these available for purchase anywhere?

I've been scouring search engines and haven't found a single source other than entire keycap sets which I do not need at all. It looks like this (below) if you don't know what I'm talking about. It's the key above the right shift, below the backspace.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Re: Looking for a single j-shaped or "bigass" enter keycap
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 00:11:36 »
email steelseries or WASD keyboards :)
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline dreydin

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 00:21:08 »
Good idea. I've already e-mailed WASD. Gonna shoot one over to Steel now.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 02:30:17 »
If you want an Alps-mount cap, I have about 8 different types of J-shaped enters, some of which I’d be happy to sell. :-)

Offline dreydin

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 02:37:12 »
I wish. How hard would it be to replace the Cherry MX Brown switch I have for an Alps?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 03:24:07 »
I wish. How hard would it be to replace the Cherry MX Brown switch I have for an Alps?
Heh, well, Alps switches are neither plate-compatible nor PCB-compatible w/ Cherry MX. So if you’re sticking with the same keyboard, that’s not too feasible. You could use an SMK alps-mount switch (“monterey blue” or white) which would be plate-compatible but not PCB-compatible, so would require some drilling and patch wires on the PCB.

Just as easy would be to just add holes for another Cherry MX switch to your plate/pcb, and then use regular ANSI keycaps. See http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/iso-to-ansi-t155.html

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 05:38:25 »
I have one you can have if you get no joy from WASD and steelseries. I am based in the UK though so if you are in the US then WASD or steelseries may be an easier option than international postage.

It is a strange beast of an enter key. This one came from a 6Gv2.

-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:16:17 »
Yeah this one will be hard to find, as far as I know only SteelSeries uses that enter key.  It's not even the same as the typical ISO enter so I doubt WASD keyboards can do anything about it.

This is pretty much why I'd not buy a SteelSeries keyboard.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline dreydin

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 16:32:26 »
Heh, well, Alps switches are neither plate-compatible nor PCB-compatible w/ Cherry MX. So if you’re sticking with the same keyboard, that’s not too feasible. You could use an SMK alps-mount switch (“monterey blue” or white) which would be plate-compatible but not PCB-compatible, so would require some drilling and patch wires on the PCB.

Just as easy would be to just add holes for another Cherry MX switch to your plate/pcb, and then use regular ANSI keycaps. See http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/iso-to-ansi-t155.html
Thanks for the info. I may have to do something like this if I can't get used to the layout.

I have one you can have if you get no joy from WASD and steelseries. I am based in the UK though so if you are in the US then WASD or steelseries may be an easier option than international postage.

It is a strange beast of an enter key. This one came from a 6Gv2.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
Hey, thanks! That's the best progress I've made so far trying to source an enter keycap. I've been looking over my keyboard layout and I'm not sure something like this would work though. The Steelseries "enter" is indeed a strange keycap. Here is my layout below. It's a UK ISO-style layout.

Yeah this one will be hard to find, as far as I know only SteelSeries uses that enter key.  It's not even the same as the typical ISO enter so I doubt WASD keyboards can do anything about it.

This is pretty much why I'd not buy a SteelSeries keyboard.  :P
Hah, yea, for sure. I know better now.

My keyboard is the CoolerMaster Storm QuickFire TK Stealth. The reason I am having this issue is because I contacted the US and EU CoolerMaster manufacturers and was told the US would not be carrying this (there are plenty of TK non-stealth boards available in the US though) specific model. That only EU vendors will be carrying the TK Stealth. So I purchased the board from overseas with a hefty shipping price and found out the hard way that UK keyboards have a few strange key placements. I honestly thought the German keyboard was the one I wanted to avoid and that the UK keyboard had an ISO-style enter key. Knowing what I know now, I would rather have bought the ANSI TK non-stealth board in the US and gone with an aftermarket ABS/PBT "stealth" keycap set. Sadly, I think that would have been cheaper or the same price and I would have gotten closer to what I really wanted.

Not really sure what to do now. Looks like my best course of action is either to 1) leave it alone and get used to it or 2) mess with the board and put in new parts to allow for an ANSI-style enter key. All this because I don't game with WASD (I play FPS since the 90s with arrow keys, and quite well too). What a pain!

Offline RabRhee

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 16:53:27 »
My keyboard is the CoolerMaster Storm QuickFire TK Stealth. The reason I am having this issue is because I contacted the US and EU CoolerMaster manufacturers and was told the US would not be carrying this (there are plenty of TK non-stealth boards available in the US though) specific model. That only EU vendors will be carrying the TK Stealth. So I purchased the board from overseas with a hefty shipping price and found out the hard way that UK keyboards have a few strange key placements. I honestly thought the German keyboard was the one I wanted to avoid and that the UK keyboard had an ISO-style enter key. Knowing what I know now, I would rather have bought the ANSI TK non-stealth board in the US and gone with an aftermarket ABS/PBT "stealth" keycap set. Sadly, I think that would have been cheaper or the same price and I would have gotten closer to what I really wanted.

Not really sure what to do now. Looks like my best course of action is either to 1) leave it alone and get used to it or 2) mess with the board and put in new parts to allow for an ANSI-style enter key. All this because I don't game with WASD (I play FPS since the 90s with arrow keys, and quite well too). What a pain!

No way would the Steelseries one fit, the one you want is a much more normal, standard ISO enter key. Many of the group buys offer an ISO kit that would fit. Heres one from SP for $6.

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/product/doubleshot-iso-keys

(edit: not sure if you were trying for a special setup to cover the bottom brown switch with the enter as well, but without extra stabilising I don't think that would work. On a UK layout thats the # key I believe)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 March 2014, 17:04:15 by RabRhee »
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

Offline dreydin

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 17:03:41 »
Yes, but that is what I currently have and do not want.

I just took the keycaps off to show the underlying switch pattern.

Offline RabRhee

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 17:10:37 »
Yes, but that is what I currently have and do not want.

I just took the keycaps off to show the underlying switch pattern.

Aye, i realised a moment after. The SS one has that long stem extra for stability, without that I doubt the key stretching across the bottom to the second brown switch would be stable enough, even after restemming something to fit it

Offline dreydin

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 22:35:48 »
True, I still may be willing to give it a shot though.

I haven't seen many options other than completely redoing the switch layout.

Offline Insanto

• Etsy page
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 21:51:50 »
what you're looking for is an Iso Mod kit.. (will also contain a few other keys but not a full 104 set)
many shops got them matching their big sets look here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45672.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 06:12:58 »
There used to be PBT sets for 6Gv2 or 7G on Taobao. You can try to search there.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 10:57:18 »
I have plenty of these from TVS-E Gold, which i can send at shipping cost. They are black thin with pad-printed legends.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 11:07:42 »
I have plenty of these from TVS-E Gold, which i can send at shipping cost. They are black thin with pad-printed legends.
MOZ,you have ISO enter also, i intrested if you have :)
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 11:17:38 »
MOZ,you have ISO enter also, i intrested if you have :)

Sadly no, this is what Ihave, atleast 5 sets.

Offline dreydin

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 16:06:17 »
PM sent! (e-mail really because I don't have enough posts for PMing yet)

There used to be PBT sets for 6Gv2 or 7G on Taobao. You can try to search there.
I don't think the 6Gv2 keycap will work on my Coolermaster board because of the stem design.

what you're looking for is an Iso Mod kit.. (will also contain a few other keys but not a full 104 set)
many shops got them matching their big sets look here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45672.0
Not a very helpful link, but thanks for the info. Hopefully it doesn't come to this. And by this I have no idea what that means.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 16:12:15 »
I'm confused. You linked a 7G (with a big-ass Enter) in the OP, then mentioned CM Storm QF TK in ISO... I'm not sure what you're looking for anymore. O_o A big-ass Enter that would fit an ISO keyboard? An ISO Enter? Or what?