Author Topic: NOW OPEN SOURCE!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]  (Read 3050432 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: swill's plate building tool
« Reply #350 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:10:59 »
Apart from the crazy non-rectangular stuff, it seems the tool is very robust. This should help people get started with their plate designs.

Thanks for all your hard work, swill!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #351 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:31:23 »
Apart from the crazy non-rectangular stuff, it seems the tool is very robust. This should help people get started with their plate designs.

Thanks for all your hard work, swill!

Awesome.  :)  BTW, if you can break it (like Evo_Spec did with the ergodox layout), let me know and I will try to get any problems resolved.

I have a few things I would like to get added in the near future:
- for the sandwich case, make all the different layers available.  switch plate, closed layer, open layer (for usb plug) and bottom plate.
- add the ability for people to link to their build with all of the metadata filled in and the plate already built.
- break out the x and y padding values into 4 values for top, bottom, left, right...  this will allow for you to put more padding on say the bottom of the plate, but keep the other 3 sides consistent with a padding value.  i have to modify the way I place my sandwhich case holes though if I do this since I am putting the holes in the center of the padding and that won't look good.
- start adding support for more case types with their respective mount holes.  I will probably start with the smaller cases like the poker case to get started and then work my way up through TKL and such...  for the TKL, I may just do a universal one that handles all the different mount holes, but we will see...

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 02:06:31 »
Awesome! Gotta play with it when i get to a PC

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #353 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:32:18 »
Just had a chance to play with this and it's awesome. Tried my Dihedral 79 code on it and worked perfectly, could not tell the result apart from jdcarpe's plate. Great work!

Offline pober

« Reply #354 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 18:25:37 »
Looking forward to playing around with this! Nice work!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:23:12 »
Thanks for all of your hard work on this swill. I am excited to use it in the future!  :)

Offline Dee1

« Reply #356 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 23:47:34 »
Just wanted to say thanks for this, swill! I'm trying it this evening and it seems to work pretty well so far. :)

Offline gogusrl

« Reply #357 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 05:33:04 »
Dumb question : how do I convert one of those 3 files to dwg ?

Offline pober

« Reply #358 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 12:22:32 »
I'm pretty sure

I found this http://www.cadforum.cz/catalog_en/stl2dwg.asp online converter. I have not tested it myself, though.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #359 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 12:26:48 »
Or you can open in FreeCAD, and export to .dwg or .dxf
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 07:05:06 »
Or you can open in FreeCAD, and export to .dwg or .dxf

Make sure you are using FreeCAD from source to do this because there is a bug with 'fillets' in FreeCAD 14 for this.  Basically, the fillets in opposing corners are actually drawn inside the plate when you export to .dxf.  You will need to build FreeCAD from source because this issue has been fixed upstream, but it has not been released in a package yet.  When it is released in a package I will allow for exporting of .dxf.  It is slated for the end of Feb right now that it would be released...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 07:09:09 »

The three files are all the same file, but just in different formats.  As JD mentioned, you can use FreeCAD, but you will have to build from source since there is a fix to an issue with fillets upstream that is not available yet which fixes the rounded corners.

If you don't use rounded corners, then yes just using FreeCAD 14 is the easiest way...

Offline phishy

« Reply #362 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 13:56:33 »
So I've been lurking and signed up because of this thread.  Awesome resources man, really appreciate the website.  With that said I want to be the test dummy for this CAD file.  Any suggestions on an online company that can cut aluminum?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #363 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 13:58:06 »
So I've been lurking and signed up because of this thread.  Awesome resources man, really appreciate the website.  With that said I want to be the test dummy for this CAD file.  Any suggestions on an online company that can cut aluminum?

I think BigBlueSaw will? You could always check around your area for shops or makerspaces as well.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:07:24 »

I think BigBlueSaw will? You could always check around your area for shops or makerspaces as well.

Also, Pololu.com has stainless steel now, not sure about aluminum.

in memoriam

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #365 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 07:48:36 »
Are there cutouts for only costar stabs?
I want to save on cuts, and have less gaps for food and bugs to crawl in...and instant noodle soup...
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline phishy

« Reply #366 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 09:31:03 »
Well i sent it out to bigbluesaw.  Just waiting for a response back with price.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #367 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:14:43 »
Well i sent it out to bigbluesaw.  Just waiting for a response back with price.

I forgot to mention this earlier.  I would recommend putting at least a kerf value of 0.05mm.  I would ask them what the expected kerf value is for cutting and adjust according to that.  If they say that kerf is about 0.1mm, then maybe set it to 0.075mm or something like that.  You should definitely account for kerf in the drawing though.  Sorry I don't have real numbers for you yet...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #368 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:15:31 »
I want to save on cuts, and have less gaps for food and bugs to crawl in...and instant noodle soup...

No, right now I only support a combined stabilizer cutout.  I could potentially offer just a costar stab cutout, but it won't happen before the end of the week...

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:18:59 »
Very excited to see how the test cuts turn out, going to use this to do up a 5x4 GHPad plate!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #370 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:19:42 »

Glad my work has brought someone out of lurker status.  :)  Welcome...

This is a great community, but hold on tight to your wallet.  Wallethack is real...

89593-0

Or the simplified version...

Offline phishy

« Reply #371 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:27:30 »
Haha my hobbies have been hacking my wallet for years.  Between building computers, playing with cars, a newborn and co-existing with a female...i work for free.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:37:02 »

This is a great community, but hold on tight to your wallet.  Wallethack is real...

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Why are you selecting the last item from wants? I think surely you should buy the item you've wanted the longest, i.e. the item at index[0]. Also, surely if the pay period is 10 days but it is 1 day before your pay period, you wouldn't be able to buy more keyboards and stuff for a whole 9 days after your pay packet. The travesty! Why am I code reviewing a piece of joke code... je suis bored.

Offline possumgumbo

« Reply #373 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:59:04 »
I actually 3D printed the layout here,
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/41278b39d92833e044007ab46bb8a9f8
but it staggered the top function row to the left, instead of the columnar arrangement I had designed in the layout designer. The right side is also cut off prematurely.

What can I do to remedy this? Thanks for the excellent tool, by the way. With a little tweaking, this will be the greatest prototyping tool ever!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #374 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:05:20 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Why are you selecting the last item from wants? I think surely you should buy the item you've wanted the longest, i.e. the item at index[0]. Also, surely if the pay period is 10 days but it is 1 day before your pay period, you wouldn't be able to buy more keyboards and stuff for a whole 9 days after your pay packet. The travesty! Why am I code reviewing a piece of joke code... je suis bored.

haha, there are a few things 'wrong' with that code from a correctness perspective.  I actually wrote it very quickly to illustrate a point.  :)

technically i should be looping through all of the 'wants' from the first item in the list and checking if i can afford anything.  however, the problem with this is if i want to buy something that costs more than what i get paid for in a single pay period i will never afford it because i will be reducing my funds on little things every month and not actually accumulating enough funds for my big ticket item.  hmm, working in a budget into my wallethack algorithm seems a bit disingenuous to the actual problem.  the reason wallethack exists is because we buy things without always budgeting for them...  oh the paradox of geekhack...  :P

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #375 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:10:01 »
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/41278b39d92833e044007ab46bb8a9f8
but it staggered the top function row to the left, instead of the columnar arrangement I had designed in the layout designer. The right side is also cut off prematurely.

What can I do to remedy this? Thanks for the excellent tool, by the way. With a little tweaking, this will be the greatest prototyping tool ever!

Yes, I am aware of some issues when working with layouts that do not have rows of keys one below the next.  I have to look at the code to understand why the layout is failing on these layouts. 

This is what you experienced right?

89598-0

I will look into this.  Thanks for letting me know.  :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:17:33 »

I modified the 'x' and 'y' offsets on the first column and row to put them up to the edge.  I then tested it and it worked better.  You can adding that padding using the actual padding feature in my tool if you want it.

Here is my version of your layout: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/b90aac02cbfd2217364f2ad8b55a600d

Here is the result:
89600-0

I will look into why the 'x' at the start of the line is not working correctly.

Thanks for pointing this out to me...

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:30:37 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

haha, there are a few things 'wrong' with that code from a correctness perspective.  I actually wrote it very quickly to illustrate a point.  :)

technically i should be looping through all of the 'wants' from the first item in the list and checking if i can afford anything.  however, the problem with this is if i want to buy something that costs more than what i get paid for in a single pay period i will never afford it because i will be reducing my funds on little things every month and not actually accumulating enough funds for my big ticket item.  hmm, working in a budget into my wallethack algorithm seems a bit disingenuous to the actual problem.  the reason wallethack exists is because we buy things without always budgeting for them...  oh the paradox of geekhack...  :P

Yeah, I wasn't criticising you for writing bad code when it was just for a joke. I thought it was pretty funny, but I was just bored enough to nit-pick it :)

Though I can tell you're a hardcore pythoner, those pythonic 'and' statements :D

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #378 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:35:56 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Yeah, I wasn't criticising you for writing bad code when it was just for a joke. I thought it was pretty funny, but I was just bored enough to nit-pick it :)

Though I can tell you're a hardcore pythoner, those pythonic 'and' statements :D

I know.  I was just playing.  :)  I love the 'and' and 'in' statements.  So easy to read...

Offline phishy

« Reply #379 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:57:30 »
It's crazy how hard of a time I'm having getting any of these companies to contact me back with pricing.  Some folks just don't want to make money i suppose.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #380 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:59:09 »
It's crazy how hard of a time I'm having getting any of these companies to contact me back with pricing.  Some folks just don't want to make money i suppose.

They don't make a lot of money doing one offs so a lot of companies won't reply or offer up ridiculous prices. Setup time, programming, paying the machinist's wages, etc costs a lot.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:00:19 »

Which companies?

Most metal shops do NOT want to deal with one-offs for a first time customer. 90% of them won't even respond to you. It's not about making money for them, they feel like they are wasting their time if you're not ordering multiple units, and on a regular basis.

in memoriam

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #382 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:04:29 »

I am having the same problem.  I am trying to get my test plate cut and I can't get anyone to return my emails...  :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #383 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:07:22 »
Pololu.com will cut anything for you. They have a good quoting system for laser cutting, but I will warn you it's not cheap.

in memoriam

Offline phishy

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:15:01 »
I take back what I said.  Bigbluesaw got back in touch with me and even made the CAD file with a blank bottom plate with just the 3mm holes for a sandwich style case.  for 1 set of both parts its $92  If I get 5 sets of both plates though its only 44.92  So its either order one for the price I could get 2 for if I order 5 to test out the tool, or I get 5 sets and pray that its all right and then have materials to build 5 keyboards if I want.  Also let me add that this is using 6061 aluminum .063" thick.  I'm waiting back to find out how much kerf will be expected so I can adjust accordingly.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:17:01 by phishy »

Offline phishy

« Reply #385 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:20:42 »
Man they are quick getting back.  He said they automatically adjust for kerf when cutting parts.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #386 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 14:12:13 »
I take back what I said.  Bigbluesaw got back in touch with me and even made the CAD file with a blank bottom plate with just the 3mm holes for a sandwich style case.  for 1 set of both parts its $92  If I get 5 sets of both plates though its only 44.92  So its either order one for the price I could get 2 for if I order 5 to test out the tool, or I get 5 sets and pray that its all right and then have materials to build 5 keyboards if I want.  Also let me add that this is using 6061 aluminum .063" thick.  I'm waiting back to find out how much kerf will be expected so I can adjust accordingly.

Man they are quick getting back.  He said they automatically adjust for kerf when cutting parts.

Awesome...  Did you tell them that you designed your plate using my tool?  About 20 minutes ago I got a small donation through the plate building tool from Big Blue Saw.  Apparently they know my plate building too exists now.  :)

So did you leave the kerf value as 0.0 when you built the plate and you will just let them to adjust as needed?

Offline phishy

« Reply #387 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 14:24:44 »
Yes I sent him a link to your tool, told him folks will probably be using it on a regular basis and also linked him to the artisans part of the forum as well as this thread.

And yeah I left kerf at 0.  He did mention that because of kerf any sharp corners will be slightly rounded, shouldn't cause an issue with these plates though, no?

Heres the top plate and bottom plate.

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 February 2015, 14:26:52 by phishy »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 14:31:34 »
Yes I sent him a link to your tool, told him folks will probably be using it on a regular basis and also linked him to the artisans part of the forum as well as this thread.

And yeah I left kerf at 0.  He did mention that because of kerf any sharp corners will be slightly rounded, shouldn't cause an issue with these plates though, no?

Heres the top plate and bottom plate.

Show Image

Cool.  Thanks.  :)  I don't think the slight rounding will cause a problem as long as it is minimal.

On a side note.  I do love the FC660 layout.  Good choice.  I have that layout at work.  :)

Offline phishy

« Reply #389 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 14:38:09 »
Alright cool, thanks.  And yeah I love the FC660 but it seems massdrop is the only way to get it, and I'd rather spend 8 weeks building my own instead of waiting for it to ship from them.  After this it will be time to do a fullsize kb for work.

Offline TD22057

« Reply #390 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 15:06:32 »

I'd be careful about that.  I just had big blue saw cut a case for my keyboard out of acrylic (3mm top, .75" mid, 3mm bottom) and it came out pretty far off which I assume is because of kerf issues.  It's like they cut the inside cutout on the outside of my line so the opening for the keyboard top plate was much larger than I expected.  I also tried to use .75" acrylic for the center layer and it varied in thickness across a 6" span from 3/4" to 3/4+3/32 which is insane.  It turned into a big waste of money. 

I expect thin metal will be better but I wouldn't discount kerf issues and peoples understanding of what the plans are trying to convey...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #391 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 15:16:41 »

I'd be careful about that.  I just had big blue saw cut a case for my keyboard out of acrylic (3mm top, .75" mid, 3mm bottom) and it came out pretty far off which I assume is because of kerf issues.  It's like they cut the inside cutout on the outside of my line so the opening for the keyboard top plate was much larger than I expected.  I also tried to use .75" acrylic for the center layer and it varied in thickness across a 6" span from 3/4" to 3/4+3/32 which is insane.  It turned into a big waste of money. 

I expect thin metal will be better but I wouldn't discount kerf issues and peoples understanding of what the plans are trying to convey...

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I think kerf is a bit tricker of an issue with complex cuts than people expect.  The kerf does not always behave the same depending on where the different cutout and such is around the shape.  Sometimes you add kerf/2 and other times you delete kerf/2.  I built this tool to account for kerf so we can try to mitigate these problems, but I still have to get my test plates cut to know for sure.  I will get them cut in acrylic first since I think I can find a shop to do that for me.  Unfortunately I need my stuff done in aluminum or stainless steel because I will be using the enabler pcbs.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #392 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 15:19:32 »
If you are testing cutouts from the tool I would suggest either stainless or aluminum if the purpose is to test the accuracy of the tool.  Laser cutting acrylic is not near as precise as aluminum or stainless.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline possumgumbo

« Reply #393 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 16:17:44 »

I modified the 'x' and 'y' offsets on the first column and row to put them up to the edge.  I then tested it and it worked better.  You can adding that padding using the actual padding feature in my tool if you want it.

Here is my version of your layout: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/b90aac02cbfd2217364f2ad8b55a600d

Here is the result:
(Attachment Link)

I will look into why the 'x' at the start of the line is not working correctly.

Thanks for pointing this out to me...

Thanks a bunch, man! I really appreciate developers interfacing so quickly with their communities. My 3-D printed prototypes have been a big hit here at the office, and I can't wait to get the final product finished.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #394 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 16:20:48 »
If you are testing cutouts from the tool I would suggest either stainless or aluminum if the purpose is to test the accuracy of the tool.  Laser cutting acrylic is not near as precise as aluminum or stainless.
Ya my goal is to test with both acrylic and aluminum, but I need to find a local shop who does aluminum who will return my emails. :)

Offline phishy

« Reply #395 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 18:37:54 »
Alright so I'm going to pull the trigger with big blue saw and have faith in this mans ability to do this right.  It'd be best for him if it works out because he'd be able to drum up some more business.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #396 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 19:04:24 »
Alright so I'm going to pull the trigger with big blue saw and have faith in this mans ability to do this right.  It'd be best for him if it works out because he'd be able to drum up some more business.
Maybe mention to him that my tool will automatically account for kerf if we know how big it is. He may not be used to that.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #397 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 19:10:28 »
Not sure if i mentioned this before but your tool's awesome, can't wait for the angled key support =D
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #398 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 01:03:33 »

No, right now I only support a combined stabilizer cutout.  I could potentially offer just a costar stab cutout, but it won't happen before the end of the week...

That would be cool. ;D
If not, I could try to it have it changed on the CAD manually.
I understand that this might be a one off thing just for a weirdo like me lol XD
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline phishy

« Reply #399 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:06:21 »
So I've been going back and forth with Simon over at bigbluesaw to make sure we can make this happen.  I sent him the data sheet on cherry switches (with tolerances allowed) and I'm also going to send a few spare plate mount switches his way so they can do a test fit before they cut out an entire plate and adjust accordingly.  He's definitely going way out of his way to help me out.