Author Topic: NOW OPEN SOURCE!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]  (Read 3047224 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: NEW DOCS!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]
« Reply #2050 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 05:21:04 »
Is lasergist still accepting orders to make plates?
They should be. Are you having problems with the integration?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2051 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 06:31:16 »
Is lasergist still accepting orders to make plates?

I just did some testing and it looks like everything is working.  Did you have problems or were you just checking?

On the 8th and 10th, I did get notifications of two potential orders having the problem of:

Code: [Select]
2017/07/10 03:22:24 Error building 'quote' request for lasergist: EOF
2017/07/10 03:42:09 Error building 'order' request for lasergist: EOF

Their service has been relatively stable, but every once in a while I get a couple notifications that the API didn't send me back what I was expecting.

I will keep an eye on it.  Please let me know if you have any issues.  Thanks...

Offline GenAce2010

« Reply #2052 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 08:58:03 »
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of designing a new keyboard and I am uncertain as to what a "common" or "standard" mounting hole diameter, edge with, or edge padding might be. Does anyone have any suggestions for those items?

The keyboard I am designing is based off of a standard 104 key but 7 additional keys are added. Please see: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz60uCOtrTSBWHlCMmFBaXF5ZkU

Thank you in advance.

P.S Also do you know any design services that could create a PCB for this design?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2053 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 09:12:50 »
What I used for my board is 6mm padding and 3mm hole diameter.  I am pretty happy with it because the heads of the screws do not hang over the edge of the plate.  I actually did my holes at 2.5mm and I tapped them (added threads) so they fit an M3 screw.  I would recommend at least a M3 screw as I have done some testing and an M2 screw can pretty easily be torqued too much and the head can break off (which would suck).

Reviewing your layout.  I would probably be a bit concerned with the spacebar stabilizer.  I am not sure how well the stabilizer will 'clip' in if a switch cutout is on top of it.  I am not entirely sure if the switch cutout will be on top of the stabilizer cutout, but my guess is that it will be judging from the visual look of the board.  Post a link to the KLE layout once you have it built with all the different key layouts on it and I will review to see if I have concerns with the viability of the resulting plate.

Cheers...

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of designing a new keyboard and I am uncertain as to what a "common" or "standard" mounting hole diameter, edge with, or edge padding might be. Does anyone have any suggestions for those items?

The keyboard I am designing is based off of a standard 104 key but 7 additional keys are added. Please see: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz60uCOtrTSBWHlCMmFBaXF5ZkU

Thank you in advance.

P.S Also do you know any design services that could create a PCB for this design?

Offline GenAce2010

« Reply #2054 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 09:32:14 »
Swill,

Thank you for the reply. Here is my KLE link: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/e3cc57f09c69257bf8e97540d501f9a8 and here is my proposed switch layer (attachment)... Please forgive me... I'm new to all of this since I just started doing my research yesterday.

Regards,

Gen

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2055 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 10:01:17 »
do you know any design services that could create a PCB for this design?
Having such a large PCB designed and then made is gonna cost you money. Since you're using a standard 104 ANSI keyboard, I would say it's best to have the plate made, take a keyboard apart, install all the 104 switches on the plate, then solder the PCB back in, and hand wire the remaining keys to a breakout board. You would need two usb connections to your computer, but what would surely save you a lot of money.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2056 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 10:44:30 »
Swill,

Thank you for the reply. Here is my KLE link: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/e3cc57f09c69257bf8e97540d501f9a8 and here is my proposed switch layer (attachment)... Please forgive me... I'm new to all of this since I just started doing my research yesterday.

Regards,

Gen
Ahhh. I see. Sorry, I am so used to looking at keycap layouts I thought you were allowing for 3 different key layouts for the spacebar area, not adding those as additional keys to the board.

You will be fine with that. Sorry, I misunderstood your intentions.

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #2057 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 08:17:55 »
hi swill!
i plan to use your builder for a custom alps build. i noticed there are stabilizers on caps less than 2u. are these necessary? i have not seen -2u keycaps with stabilizers in it and i think the plates will look cleaner if these were removed. awesome tool either way.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2058 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 08:33:48 »
hi swill!
i plan to use your builder for a custom alps build. i noticed there are stabilizers on caps less than 2u. are these necessary? i have not seen -2u keycaps with stabilizers in it and i think the plates will look cleaner if these were removed. awesome tool either way.
For MX there is no stabs on keys less than 2u, however there are stabs which can be used for less than 2u keys in Alps.

If you don't want stabs on those keys, you can remove the stab on that key specifically. Eg: {_s:0},"target key"

Here are the associated docs for those features: http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/features/#plate-layout

Let me know if that is not clear.

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #2059 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 09:06:44 »
If you don't want stabs on those keys, you can remove the stab on that key specifically. Eg: {_s:0},"target key"

oh! cool! just tried it and it's awesome!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2060 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 10:22:18 »
Sorry for the delay getting this issue fixed.  The good news is that now it is fixed...  :)

Now that I have seen how people use the tool, I have improved the usability a bit.  Now all of the circle, rectangle and rounded rectangle have a new relative to field.  If nothing is entered in the relative to the shape will not be drawn unless the shape is associated with a key in the Plate Layout section.  In addition, if you specify more than one point in the relative to field, the shape(s) defined by the centers will be repeated relative to each of the relative to points.

These changes makes your use case easier because you can just use the rectangle with the centers set to where you would like the stabilizers relative to the center of the switchs.  Then don't define anything relative to points and only apply the cutouts to the actual keys in the Plate Layout section.

I have added some additional detail to the appropriate sections of the documentation: http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/features/#custom-polygons

Please let me know if anything is not clear.  I think this is a huge improvement to the Custom Polygons feature, but I would love your feedback.

Hi Swill,
I finally got around to using the custom-polygons-as-Alps-stabs thing, and I'm seeing some weird behaviour.
I'm getting an extra cluster of my four custom polygons in the center of the plate, in addition to the groups centered on specific switches.
(Attachment Link)

Any idea what's going on?

Layout JSON
More
["Esc",{x:0.25},"F1","F2","F3","F4",{x:0.25},"F5","F6","F7","F8",{x:0.25},"F9","F10","F11","F12",{x:0.25},"Delete"],
[{y:0.5},"~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2,_c:"0,1,2,3",_s:0},"Backspace"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\"],
[{w:1.75,_s:0},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25,_c:"0,1,2,3",_s:0},"Enter"],
[{w:2.25,_c:"0,1,2,3",_s:0},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75,_c:"0,1,4,5",_s:0},"Shift"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{a:7,w:6.25,_s:3},"",{a:4,w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Ctrl"]

Polygons
More
[-14.333,3.4];[-11.667,3.4];[-11.667,8.6];[-14.333,8.6];[-14.333,3.4]
[14.333,3.4];[11.667,3.4];[11.667,8.6];[14.333,8.6];[14.333,3.4]
[11.1,4.9];[8.434,4.9];[8.434,10.1];[11.1,10.1];[11.1,4.9]
[-11.1,4.9];[-8.434,4.9];[-8.434,10.1];[-11.1,10.1];[-11.1,4.9]
[-22.8,4.9];[-20.134,4.9];[-20.134,10.1];[-22.8,10.1];[-22.8,4.9]
[22.8,4.9];[20.134,4.9];[20.134,10.1];[22.8,10.1];[22.8,4.9]

Offline lawless

« Reply #2061 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 13:39:58 »
Just wanted to say thanks for the hard work, swill. Just got my first attempt at a plate from the laser cutting service. Probably going to take me a couple more implementations to get it the way I want it (I'm just learning CAD software). But couldn't have done it without your plate and case builder.

173719-0

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2062 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 13:46:31 »
Awesome!  Glad my builder has been helpful.  :)

Just wanted to say thanks for the hard work, swill. Just got my first attempt at a plate from the laser cutting service. Probably going to take me a couple more implementations to get it the way I want it (I'm just learning CAD software). But couldn't have done it without your plate and case builder.

(Attachment Link)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2063 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:42:19 »
Minor Update

I have been doing a bunch of small updates over the last week.  Please let me know if you find any regressions or if you know of any bugs which I have not addressed yet.
- Fixed custom polygons so the shapes are not duplicated at the center of the plate and added more flexibility in the feature.
- Made the Plate Layout code editor work on a mobile device (not that people use it, but I demo that every once in a while and it was pissing me off).
- Improved error reporting back to the UI so you should have a better idea why an error occurred when they happen.
- Fixed a few flow and operational bugs when input errors occur.

As always, please let me know if you have any requests or if any feature does not work the way you expect or would like it to work.  I am doing a round of clean up before I get into any major feature development again so now is a good time to ask if you have any requests.

Thanks for all the support.  Cheers...

Offline _nowai

« Reply #2064 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 09:01:45 »
hi swill,

I ran into one problem with the bottom plate of the sandwich case.

I ordered a top and a bottom plate from lasergist using your tool and set custom polygons as screw-holes somewhere between the keys. Unfortunately the good side of the bottom plate is now on the inside of the keyboard, and since the holes are not perfectly symmetrical, I can't just flip the plate.
It would be great, if you could either make people aware of this or just flip the bottom plate.

Keep up your good work, I'd be lost without your kb builder!  :)
Cheers!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2065 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 10:40:03 »
Right, so it would be ideal for the bottom plate to be flipped so the finished side is on the bottom?

I think that is something we can do.

hi swill,

I ran into one problem with the bottom plate of the sandwich case.

I ordered a top and a bottom plate from lasergist using your tool and set custom polygons as screw-holes somewhere between the keys. Unfortunately the good side of the bottom plate is now on the inside of the keyboard, and since the holes are not perfectly symmetrical, I can't just flip the plate.
It would be great, if you could either make people aware of this or just flip the bottom plate.

Keep up your good work, I'd be lost without your kb builder!  :)
Cheers!

Offline _nowai

« Reply #2066 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 11:46:28 »
Right, so it would be ideal for the bottom plate to be flipped so the finished side is on the bottom?

I think that is something we can do.

Exactly! :)

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #2067 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 22:22:30 »
Hey Swill,

For the builder, what's technically the smallest line weight that can be used? I checked the docs and saw the default weight mentioned, but not the minimum. When I tried a really small/hairline value (0.001 mm) it the builder didn't complain, but checking out the output and zooming in a bunch -- it doesn't look like it went through.

Thanks in advance, and it's really awesome (and such a time saver) to have this tool!
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2068 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 22:52:00 »
So it does work.  The SVG is likely the most accurate at those dimension.  Keep in mind that anything below 0.01mm is not going to be visible on the screen.  If you open the file in a CAD program like FreeCAD, you will see that everything is there, but the lines will be smaller than a pixel on the screen, so it won't display on the screen.

Hope that makes sense.  Let me know if that does not answer your question.  Cheers...

Edit: Also, if you zoomed in in the browser on the builder, it will not zoom the drawing.  Download the SVG, then open it in Chrome and zoom in to 500% and you will start to see the lines at 0.001mm.

Hey Swill,

For the builder, what's technically the smallest line weight that can be used? I checked the docs and saw the default weight mentioned, but not the minimum. When I tried a really small/hairline value (0.001 mm) it the builder didn't complain, but checking out the output and zooming in a bunch -- it doesn't look like it went through.

Thanks in advance, and it's really awesome (and such a time saver) to have this tool!
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 July 2017, 22:55:47 by swill »

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #2069 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 23:39:59 »
Perfect, thanks swill for the quick answer!

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #2070 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 11:00:48 »
To conclude my journeys into phantom plates, here's the finished product (local lasercutting service) plus the cad file.
The design is a mix of ISO, ansi l-shift, pure split r-shift, extra F-key and full nav cluster for a total of umm 94 keys.

I took the original phantom iso cad file which can be found in the wiki and gh-repository and overlaid it with a KLE + the builder tool version. Moved the F-row and Nav-cluster to the proper position in Librecad, drew a new 'combined 6.25 spacebar' cutout and used the builder tool shapes for the cutouts and stabilisers.

Thanks very much again.

174582-0

Offline PCG

• keyboard enthusiast
« Reply #2071 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 15:13:47 »
Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some help here to see if anyone might know what is the issue.

Brief Summary

1. Created layout in http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/
["Esc","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","Back<br>Space"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",{w:1.5},"Enter"],
["Shift","Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n.","Shift","Fn"],
["Super","Meta","Super",{w:1.25},"Super",{f:1.75,w:1.75},"Super",{w:1.75},"Super",{f:3,w:1.25},"Super","Meta","Super","Meta"]

2. Generated plate and sandwich parts from http://builder.swillkb.com/

3. Had my plates cut at a service provider (The laser cuts 1:1 the measurements of the file)

4. Plate looks great but it came out slightly overly scaled, the switches aren't snug at all, they fall out directly (about 0.1mm ish off-set per 1u)

Observation
The layout has exactly the same size as the AMJ40 (in layout editor) but physically in real life - it ended up being 8mm wider in total when comparing.

• My guess is I messed up somewhere in the builder, is there some sort of scaling I need to accomodate for?

More

• Comparing the svg file, it seems as if they are a 100% match, the only thing that has me confused is that the schematic is 225cm and the physical one is 235cm

• Physical plate overlaying digital version on monitor at (100% size)
  • Svg file matches the physical plate (100%)
  • Essentially this leads me to believe there's nothing wrong with the lasercutting service I used (since the svg file and physical product is 100% match

1u slots (misalignment)
  • Here I compare it to a pre-made plate with the correct measurements for cherry switches
More

Appreciate any help anyone can offer! Will try and figure out what wrong on my own, but I'm kind of confused atm. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 August 2017, 15:22:10 by PCG »

<- all hail the new vegas strip!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2072 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 07:20:49 »
I suspect the reason the switches fall out is because no Kerf was defined, and the laser cutter did not account for kerf when cutting your drawing.  Let's assume that the kerf of the tool with wood is about 0.2mm.  That means that 1/2 of that will be cut out of the remaining part all the way around each switch cutout.  That means that the switch cutout will be a whole 0.2mm bigger than it is drawn.  I recommend checking with the laser shop what their kerf is for the material you are cutting (this is the sort of thing you are looking for) and then specify that kerf value into the tool.  The tool will automatically adjust the output to account for the kerf.

I suspect the plate is longer than you were expecting because you have added something like 5mm of padding on the sides for the mount holes, which are not present in the layout which you took the measurement from (based on the numbers you provided and the layout posted without the holes).  BTW, you can't assume the size on a monitor is the correct actual size due to the resolution not matching the real world.  When I do digital art for printing, I want to see what it would look like at 100%, I actually have to scale up my drawing with two predefined points which I can measure to get the size on screen to match the length I measure on a ruler, so be aware of that...

I am pretty confident the builder is right.  I suspect kerf is the problem for why the keys are not fitting.  If you have a caliper, you could measure and test that.  Sorry you didn't get the results you were hoping for.

Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some help here to see if anyone might know what is the issue.

Brief Summary

1. Created layout in http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/
["Esc","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","Back<br>Space"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",{w:1.5},"Enter"],
["Shift","Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n.","Shift","Fn"],
["Super","Meta","Super",{w:1.25},"Super",{f:1.75,w:1.75},"Super",{w:1.75},"Super",{f:3,w:1.25},"Super","Meta","Super","Meta"]

2. Generated plate and sandwich parts from http://builder.swillkb.com/
Show Image

3. Had my plates cut at a service provider (The laser cuts 1:1 the measurements of the file)
Show Image

4. Plate looks great but it came out slightly overly scaled, the switches aren't snug at all, they fall out directly (about 0.1mm ish off-set per 1u)

Observation
The layout has exactly the same size as the AMJ40 (in layout editor) but physically in real life - it ended up being 8mm wider in total when comparing.
Show Image

• My guess is I messed up somewhere in the builder, is there some sort of scaling I need to accomodate for?

More
Show Image

• Comparing the svg file, it seems as if they are a 100% match, the only thing that has me confused is that the schematic is 225cm and the physical one is 235cm

Show Image

• Physical plate overlaying digital version on monitor at (100% size)
  • Svg file matches the physical plate (100%)
  • Essentially this leads me to believe there's nothing wrong with the lasercutting service I used (since the svg file and physical product is 100% match

Show Image

Show Image

1u slots (misalignment)
  • Here I compare it to a pre-made plate with the correct measurements for cherry switches
More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Appreciate any help anyone can offer! Will try and figure out what wrong on my own, but I'm kind of confused atm. :)

Offline PCG

• keyboard enthusiast
« Reply #2073 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 07:24:00 »
Thanks alot for your answer Swill - I also suspected it was something wrong with the kerf, will try and investigate further based on your answer. Thanks for taking the time and I appreciate it - as well as building such a cool tool.

Don't sweat it about it being too big (I got a free sample, the first time around), I'm just looking to understand what went wrong so when I go and order the next time I can get it right. :)

<- all hail the new vegas strip!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2074 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 03:43:38 »
When generating a sandwich case with a stepped key, the builder adds a rectangle where the stepped portion of the key is.
I believe it's not intended.

The image should give a better picture.
* top_20b9ad921cb0658bef5aba26bfa1df3f3d9a700b.svg (1.78 kB - downloaded 155 times.)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2075 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 05:09:17 »

When generating a sandwich case with a stepped key, the builder adds a rectangle where the stepped portion of the key is.
I believe it's not intended.

The image should give a better picture.
(Attachment Link)

I'm a bit confused by this one. Can you send me the details of what you used as input?  Thanks.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2076 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 05:45:02 »
Something like this.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2077 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 06:02:54 »
Something like this.

I have been able to reproduce this.  It is very strange, it only shows on the 'Top' layer.  I will try to figure out where that could be coming from.  Thanks for the report...

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2078 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 06:07:27 »
I have been able to reproduce this.  It is very strange, it only shows on the 'Top' layer.  I will try to figure out where that could be coming from.  Thanks for the report...
My humble guess is that the stepped key is actually counted as 1u and the builders fills the gap with material. Surely you would know better.
Keep up the beautiful work.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2079 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 06:19:18 »
Something like this.

Ahhhh, I know what is going on.  The 'Top' layer is basically the same as the 'Bottom' plate, but with the bounds of the keys cut out.  I do it this way so I can handle a top plate of irregular layouts (like ergodox).  The problem is that the builder basically sees the stepped CapsLock as a {w:1.25} key and the next key has {x:0.5}, so the builder effectively sees a 1/2 key space at that location (any 'x' value in the layout will produce this I think).  I will have to think about how to fix this.  Thanks...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2080 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 19:32:44 »
Something like this.

Ahhhh, I know what is going on.  The 'Top' layer is basically the same as the 'Bottom' plate, but with the bounds of the keys cut out.  I do it this way so I can handle a top plate of irregular layouts (like ergodox).  The problem is that the builder basically sees the stepped CapsLock as a {w:1.25} key and the next key has {x:0.5}, so the builder effectively sees a 1/2 key space at that location (any 'x' value in the layout will produce this I think).  I will have to think about how to fix this.  Thanks...
So I have found the issue and I know where the problem comes from. It is also a problem for the ISO Enter and Big Ass Enter keys as well. The solution has been a bit tricky in crafting, but I think I am on the right path. I have spent an hour or so trying to solve it this evening while on my commute, but I have not solved it yet. Just need to figure out the right logic to make the solution work across all possible types of scenarios. I should be able to find a solution for this one later tonight after I get the lil guy to bed or tomorrow on the train to the office.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2081 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 20:18:06 »
Minor Bug Fix Update

Alright, my son was taking forever in the bath and I had a pretty good idea how to fix it, so I just worked on it while he played.  I have fixed the problem where keys with both a 'w' and 'w2' incorrectly only accounting for the 'w' value and not the 'w2' value when determining what the keycap bounds were to cut out of the top layer.  This problem was reported by @TalkingTree for the Stepped Capslock, but the problem also existed for the ISO Enter and the Big Ass Enter keys because they used the same mechanism.  The solution I have implemented solves all of the known cases.  If there are other cases which you know about (especially for layouts where keys are absolutely positioned or rotated), please let me know so I can validate the fix is working in those cases as well.  It should be, but if I have something to test I can validate.

Thanks for the support @TalkingTree in reporting this issue.  Cheers...

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2082 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 01:19:44 »
Masterful work as always. Thank you swill.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2083 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 09:20:56 »
UPDATE - Added Superellipse Custom Polygon

I have added a new Custom Polygon shape to the builder.  I have added support for a Superellipse (n=1/2), and no, you are not the only person who has to look up what that actually means.  Here is the documentation which has some additional detail for this feature.  While very limited, it shows the shape and it is pretty easy to understand how to use it.

The reason for adding this shape is to support custom rounded corners on both concave or convex 90º corners.  The superellipse was the main shape I felt was missing for being able to have full control of the customization functionality with custom polygons.

I hope this is useful for you guys.  Cheers...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: NOW OPEN SOURCE!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]
« Reply #2084 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 20:44:17 »
BIG NEWS!!!  The builder's KAD engine is now OPEN SOURCE!!!

KAD (Keyboard Automated Design), the core engine which I built to power the builder is now officially open source.  KAD is a Golang library which I have extracted out of the builder as its own package so I could make it openly available to the keyboard community.  It doesn't give you anything that the builder doesn't already do, but if you have a feature request, now you can just get into the code to build it if you want.

The code is not beautiful or well commented yet, but I have tried to at least organize it in a way that makes it relatively easy to understand.  I will need to go through and add a whole bunch of comments so the documentation is much clearer, but in the meantime, if you have question just let me know.

The source code and the basic usage can be found at github.com/swill/kad, and the godoc can be found at godoc.org/github.com/swill/kad.

If you have any questions, let me know.  Also, if you are already a Golang developer, you may notice that my style is a little different, so if you contribute, please try to be consistent with the style in the rest of the package.

Enjoy...

Offline cribbit

« Reply #2085 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 15:59:49 »
Yay! That is awesome news.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #2086 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 12:39:35 »
Very awesome move, cheers  :thumb:

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #2087 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 13:04:16 »
Great news ;D Hopefully one day I get some time to try my hand at Golang again.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2088 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 07:28:46 »
Hi swill,

I noticed something funny with the builder.

When making a sandwich case, the left vertical line in the largest cutout in the top layer (see the red line in the attached picture) is actually split into four different lines, presumably one for each row.
* top.svg (1.1 kB - downloaded 129 times.)

By looking at the SVG code, you can see how it happens.
<polygon points="14.998,60.074 14.998,79.125 14.999,79.125 14.999,98.173 14.998,98.173 14.998,117.225 14.999,117.225 14.999,155.326 300.751,155.326 300.751,60.074" style="fill:none;stroke-width:0.050000mm;stroke:red"/>

I noticed that while importing either the DXF and SVG into a 3d modeling software and I assume it happens with the EPS as well.

It's a very minor thing but, nonetheless, you might wanna fix it.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2089 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 01:26:35 »
Has anyone built a sandwich keyboard using lasergist's brushed stainless?

I'm very interested yet can't risk it as I'm unsure how it will look from the sides
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline RobotDeathSquad

« Reply #2090 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 14:40:52 »
Anyone have recommendations for how to debug why a layout isn't rendering properly? I'm working on a rather complex one, and I'm having trouble with the rendering.

Keyboard-Layout-Editor renders it like this:
https://d.pr/i/cgsVig

However, plate and case builder is rendering that section like this:
https://d.pr/i/RUgepq

Anyone have thoughts on how to figure out why? I have already rebuilt this layout by hand (hand coded the raw data) because it was a total mess when I just inserted keys and moved them around.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2091 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 14:50:53 »
Possibly something with the KLE rather than the builder.
Can you post your code?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2092 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 16:47:46 »
Anyone have recommendations for how to debug why a layout isn't rendering properly? I'm working on a rather complex one, and I'm having trouble with the rendering.

Keyboard-Layout-Editor renders it like this:
https://d.pr/i/cgsVig

However, plate and case builder is rendering that section like this:
https://d.pr/i/RUgepq

Anyone have thoughts on how to figure out why? I have already rebuilt this layout by hand (hand coded the raw data) because it was a total mess when I just inserted keys and moved them around.

Post your code and I will try to help you figure it out...

Offline RobotDeathSquad

« Reply #2093 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 17:16:48 »
[{r:10,rx:1}, "ESC", "~\n`", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5"],
[{w:1.5, x:0.5}, "TAB",{w:1}, "Q", "W", "E", "R", "T"],
[{w:1.5, x:0.5}, "CMD",{w:1}, "A", "S", "D", "F", "G"],
[{w:1,x:6.9,y:0.2, r:0}, "-"],
[{r:10, y:-1.2, w:1.5, x:0.5}, "SHIFT",{w:1}, "Z", "X", "C", "V", "B"],
[{w:2,x:6.4,y:0.15, r:0}, "BACK\nSPACE"],
[{r:10, y:-1.15},"CTL","ALT","\n", "\n","SUPER", {w:2}, "\n"],
[{r:0, w:2, x:6.4, y:0.15}, "ENTER"],
[{r:-10, x:7.6, y:-3.6}, "6", "7", "8", "9", "0", "=", "DEL"],
[{x:7.6},"y", "u", "i", "o", "p", "'", "\\"],
[{x:7.6},"h", "j", "k", "l", ";", {w:1.5}, "COMMAND"],
[{x:7.6},"N", "M", ",", ".", "/", {w:1.5}, "SHIFT"],
[{w:2,x:7.6}, "\n", {w:1}, "LEFT", "UP", "DOWN", "RIGHT", "ALT"],

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2094 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 17:36:15 »
Remove all the labels and you're good.

[{rx:1,y:3.2,x:6.9,a:7},""],
[{y:-0.05,x:6.4,w:2},""],
[{x:6.4,w:2},""],
[{r:10,y:-6.15},"","","","","","",""],
[{x:0.5,w:1.5},"","","","","",""],
["","","","","",{w:2},""],
[{r:-10,y:-2.45,x:7.6},"","","","","","",""],
[{x:7.6},"","","","","","",""],
[{x:7.6},"","","","","",{w:1.5},""],
[{x:7.6},"","","","","",{w:1.5},""],
[{x:7.6,w:2},"","","","","",""]

Offline RobotDeathSquad

« Reply #2095 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 22:59:46 »
Fantastic! Thanks so much. Is that necessary on every plate or was it just something in mine that was meeting things up?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2096 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 03:02:54 »
Is that necessary on every plate or was it just something in mine that was meeting things up?
It's something in your KLE for sure but I was too lazy to inspect and I chose the easiest route.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2097 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 16:41:55 »
Is that necessary on every plate or was it just something in mine that was meeting things up?
It's something in your KLE for sure but I was too lazy to inspect and I chose the easiest route.
+1 to that.  It is the easiest way to troubleshoot issues.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2098 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 16:28:53 »
I'd like to make a custom plate for a ALPS set that I own which includes a big ass enter with double stabilizers, like so.
Is there a way to do that automatically or shall I necessarily add the custom cutouts myself?
TIA.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2099 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 17:23:40 »
I'd like to make a custom plate for a ALPS set that I own which includes a big ass enter with double stabilizers, like so.
Is there a way to do that automatically or shall I necessarily add the custom cutouts myself?
TIA.

I believe this is what you are looking for.  Here is an example of a 60% keyboard with a "big ass enter".  KLE has a 104 version of this layout as well.

["~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=","|\n\\","Back Space"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5,h:2,w2:2.25,h2:1,x2:-0.75,y2:1},"Enter"],
[{w:1.75},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'"],
[{w:2.25},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75},"Shift"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{a:7,w:6.25},"",{a:4,w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Ctrl"]

The Enter key specifically is:
{w:1.5,h:2,w2:2.25,h2:1,x2:-0.75,y2:1},"Enter"
However, that said, I only had one example of the key and stabilizer layout when I created the key and stabilizer placement for this key, so I have not handled it according to the cutouts shown in your picture.  I am not positive that the 'big ass enter' that I was working from is the same as the one you have shown.

I think you will have to create the space manually with the layout and then use custom polygons to create that actual cutout.  Sorry, in looking into this, I don't think there is an easy way to support this with the tooling as it is currently built.  :(