Author Topic: Arke // a DIY, hand wired, ortholinear, ergonomic, split keyboard [wip]  (Read 8634 times)

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
Hallo and guten Tag,

my name is Max and I'm a long time reader/first time poster in this forum.

I did some keyboard related projects in the past (macro keypad, Alsps64, artisan keycaps) but never came around to film/document something. Not so this time :D

This is my Arke project and it's an hand wired ortholinear ergonomic split keyboard. It is based on the Iris layoutIris layout by Lewis Ridden (/u/GAMING_FACE) hence the name Arke ;)
I designed all the parts using Fusion360 and since i run a tiny Youtube channel (Make'n'Modify) I made some videos about the process.

There will be 3 to 4 parts to this series and I plan to post a video every week.
At the moment i have the project hostet on thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2879329

This is what the Bord should finally look like (renderings):
194722-0

Part 1 - Parts + Baseplate

Part 2 - Rest of Mechanical Parts (Case, Cable, Wrist rests...)

Part 3 - Handwiring and Firmware

Used parts (Aliexpress affiliate links):
Kailh White Box Switches
White PBT DSA Keycaps
FR4/G10(??) Plate
M3x6mm anodized screws
8x2mm Magnets
Pro Micro

If you have any questions go ahead, i'll try to answer to any questions here, on thingiverse and youtube ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 May 2018, 06:54:43 by xack »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Welcome to GH Max, great first post!

I'm one of those people who keeps thinking of getting a CNC but always comes away wanting a huge mill capable of destroying a lump of aluminium and the cost of one of them is still too much, so I'll be interested to see if your 'little PCB mill' is all you need for this case.

From the pics it should be a good looking board :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Thanks for posting your build process. It’s very helpful for us to see how these things are done.

The Iris is a good starting point and the built-in tenting is a nice improvement. I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the videos.

Offline crystalhand

I am super excited to see this and will be following it.  I have been into the ergonomic possibilities of 3d printing for a little while now.  Currently using a dactyl but should have a dactyl manuform finished by the end of the week. I have been working on my modeling skills so it is nice to see an example of how you went about it.

Good luck  :thumb:

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
Hey thanks for the nice words ;)
Part 2 is added to the first Post. This time a bit shortened, if you would like some details on something specific let me know ;)

@suicidal_orange: I would love to have a big CNC too, but not possible at the moment (living in an apartment building). So I have to settle for 3D printing and a PCB-Mill for now ;)
The mill also was a printer in its first life ;P

Here a picture:
195161-0

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
Ok it is finally done  :D i added the last part to the first post.
And as a test, this post was written on the final keyboard  ;) ...when switching to ortholinear you really see that you sometimes use the wrong finger for some keys  :confused: but its a training thing i guess...

Anyways, here are some closeups of the wiring and the final keyboard
195632-0
This i the right hand wiring of the right sight (side without arduino)

195634-1
the right side plug

195636-2
the left side (with arduino)

195638-3
the left side plug

195640-4
a closeup of the soldering

And finally the full keyboard ;)
195642-5

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
Nice!

Offline gektor

I had a pleasure to try this fabulous keyboard. It is an addictive peace of gear, especially with those Kailh Box Whites. I was quite surprised that although I've never used any kind of ergo before, I was able to type on this one easily. It doesn't even has legends, has a funny semi-ortho layout and I am still able to type on it without significant learning. How cool!

Thank you for the excellent Videos. I am very excited about building an own keyboard and now a have a perfect reference for the whole process  :thumb:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
That was quick!

I'll watch the videos when I'm home on a big screen but the pics look as good as the renders.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Blyaticon

Re: Arke // a DIY, hand wired, ortholinear, ergonomic, split keyboard [wip]
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 06:45:13 »
Simple question: How you got the cables connected? It looks like you took something like a Motherboard cable, but I'd like to have more info on that!
btw I am german too, so a shop link would be appreciated..

Sorry to bother you after such a long time the thread had been asleep but I've never seen stuff like tis anywhere else.

Grüße gehen raus