Author Topic: M 122: convert two keys to two-row vertical key  (Read 1601 times)

Offline feltel

• feltel.de
M 122: convert two keys to two-row vertical key
« on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 12:21:29 »
After sorting out my Teensy-related problems I'm now in the process of completing my Model M 122 keyboard project. On the numpad I'd like to convert the two keys above the enter key to a single two-row Plus key as it is standard on a regular Model M. Therefore I obtained a plus key and a white vertical stabilizer insert. It looks like it is not enough to remove the spring to install the insert deep enough into the barrel frame. So I have to remove the hammer also, which is only possible by doing a bolt or screw mod? Is my assumption correct?
IBM Model M Metal  IBM Model M SSK   Unicomp Classic with red ESC key

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: M 122: convert two keys to two-row vertical key
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 13:32:36 »
After sorting out my Teensy-related problems I'm now in the process of completing my Model M 122 keyboard project. On the numpad I'd like to convert the two keys above the enter key to a single two-row Plus key as it is standard on a regular Model M. Therefore I obtained a plus key and a white vertical stabilizer insert. It looks like it is not enough to remove the spring to install the insert deep enough into the barrel frame. So I have to remove the hammer also, which is only possible by doing a bolt or screw mod? Is my assumption correct?

That's right.

And I'm pretty sure that the vertical Unicomp insert is black and it is the horizontal one that is white.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline feltel

• feltel.de
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 13:59:02 »
Yes, you are right. Damnit. After cross-checking the Unicomp website again a black insert is needed for vertical keys. Putting it to the wishlist for the next Unicomp order to come.  :rolleyes:
IBM Model M Metal  IBM Model M SSK   Unicomp Classic with red ESC key

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 15:10:35 »
It looks like it is not enough to remove the spring to install the insert deep enough into the barrel frame. So I have to remove the hammer also, which is only possible by doing a bolt or screw mod? Is my assumption correct?

Not entirely.  I messed with this once years back, but it was not on a keyboard I was using for anything more than a week or two.

If you trim down the peg on the key, and cut the insert so it doesn't extend as far down, and just pull the spring, you can do it without a bolt mod.

The pivot plate is still there of course, but in the time I tried this I didn't have an issue with any random presses.  And or course if you have it set up with a teensy you can just map that key to nothing.

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets