Author Topic: [IC] CYGNUS — GB Live.  (Read 64336 times)

Offline PheonixStarr

[IC] CYGNUS — GB Live.
« on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 20:35:20 »

/) hi geekhack

This is Cygnus, an f-rowless TKL. It's clean, it's subtle, and it's simple—until you peek inside. The brass plate is suspended in a Kepler-like Poron double gasket mount. The unique mounting complements the plate's extreme cuts—lending a firm response & rich tone to your clack.

Features

•  6063-T6 aluminum case; sandblasted brass weight & plate
  •  Tenkeyless layout lacking the top function row
  •  PVD brass plate, with extensive cutouts and calculated flex profile.
  •  Double gasket mount (dampening & isolation); 1/16"-thick Poron strips
  •  MX-only 1.6mm PCB with ESD, fuse, and STM32 running QMK
          •  HERA-C USB Type-C daughterboard
  •  One RGB LED indicator, representing Caps Lock by default
  •  5.5° typing angle

SALES

Unlimited group-buy through Keylace Co. GB will open December 8th, 2019 – January 7th, 2020.

One important note: The plates and weight offered in the buy will be sandblasted brass, not PVD.
I would've liked to offer it, but my manufacturer is currently unable to reliably provide PVD brass parts.
My alternate sources charge more than the price point would allow. Sorry :(

I wasn't aware it needed to be said, but yes, by default, each Cygnus will ship with one brass plate,
one Arcturus PCB, and one HERA-C daughterboard. Add-ons are available at the point of sale and possibly afterward, as well.

12/2/19
On Prototypes and Colors

I'd like to present—

The Slate Gray prototype! The brass plates have also arrived, and they feel phenomenal on the gasket (tried with T1s & NK Creams).

More pictures here.

I've decided upon Saturday, December 7th, 12:00 PM PST as the opening date of the group-buy. With a minimum of 50, it will remain open as an unlimited buy until January 7th (unless I hit some ridiculous number like 200 orders, but I highly doubt it'll get that far).

One important note: The plates and weight offered in the buy will be sandblasted brass, not PVD. I would've liked to offer it, but my manufacturer is currently unable to reliably provide PVD brass parts. My alternate sources charge more than the price point would allow. Sorry :(

The board starts at $400, with additional brass/alu/CF/POM plates for $40 (sorry, I wish it could be lower; also, each Cygnus kit will ship with one brass plate by default) ea. & additional PCBs for $55 ea. Each Cygnus kit will ship with one daughterboard by default; additional HERA-C boards are available (screws included) on Keylace.

In the GB, I am introducing the e-coated Jet Black as a new color option, for that sweet, sweet black-&-gold colorway. Speaking of colors, I received some sample chips (that black is anodized, not e-coated)

The camera makes the blue seem a little more saturated than it is in real life—personally, I think the blue chip looks closer to the renders than this photo. Oddly enough, the rose gold chip looks about the same across the board. Thanks to elmo for catching it.

Regarding the "Forest Green" prototype—I have spoken with Cormorant on this matter, and they assured me that in the production run, the Cygnus Teal tone will more closely match 351 C. For short prototype runs, they use an inherently unstable color mixing method to achieve dyeing as opposed to an anodization bath (which is expensive for a single unit)

11/27/19
PROTOTYPES ARRIVED!

It's been quite some time, hasn't it? I promise I've been quite busy behind the scenes—and not just with Cygnus, as some of you might've heard of. After a lengthy wait, the first two prototypes, along with a sampling of POM plates, are in! There's a Slate Gray prototype + some brass plates on the way, too.

Please note that, in the production run, I'll be adding in the HERA-C daughterboard, as well as a third, center-aligned column of screws. Cygnus kits will arrive with the Poron gaskets adhered onto the upper and lower assemblies.

Anyway, enough chatter—let's take a look.

9/30/19
On Rubber Feet and USB Ports...

- Upon advice from Keycult's riotonthebay, the Poron mounting was slightly modified
- Plate redesigned to isolate 60 Set and Nav Cluster.
- CYGNUS as a whole was fine-tuned; many dimensions were minutely changed and the USB port is now a little more sane-looking.

The board also now sports some swanky new rubber feet. What do y'all think?

I'm currently finalizing everything with all my manus (case, packaging, accessories, etc.) All that's left is to finish the PCB.

9/18/19
On MKULTRA and Displacement...

Y'all want some foam? Let's do some foam. I got in touch with the wonderful guy behind MKUltra.click. Each Cygnus will ship with a slice of case foam (below the pcb) and plate foam (between pcb and plate).

Edit: this is very sadly canceled :(

Manufacturer (henceforth codenamed CORMORANT) has confirmed & approved the second revision. Speaking of the second revision, let's take a look at the new plate.

Cute, huh? Red signifies the most displacement, while blue is the most rigid. As you can see, the top-bottom mounting system results in a (mostly) horizontally invariant flex profile.

After consulting with my contact at a materials manu (henceforth codenamed LIVERMORE), I selected a Poron formulation which will have a lightweight, non-residuous adhesive applied to one side to keep things in place.

8/11/19
On Layouts and Colors...

- Added split backspace.
- Added Tsangan Winkeyless option for upper assembly.
- Redesigned LED cutout, as requested, to a horizontal line.
- Still no ISO.
- PCB became 1.6mm, since it won't really make a difference toward the flex.
- Enlarged the weight; keeb now weighs 2.0kg.
- Expanded color offerings; Onyx Black and Amethyst purple dropped due to lack of interest.

I've received quotes from the manu; it looks like we'll be able to hit the $400 price point, after all—if not go lower, even!

Renders

Shown with GTRX's GMK Nord.

I also took the liberty of updating the rather unpopular LED cutout and swapped it for something more like a line, as requested :)

The PVD sandblasted brass weight displays Nightingale Studio's "Wing" icon.

A quick note on gaskets—I've been asked a few times what sets class materials like Poron and Sorbothane apart from neoprene or silicone.

Mechanical isolation and vibration dampening are two key characteristics of gaskets. Materials like neoprene, silicone, rubber, etc. have excellent isolation properties—they prevent the vibration of the plate from dispersing into the case. They do not, however, dampen very well; that is to say, the isolation is not perfect—some vibration leaks through. That's where Poron and Sorbothane come in—they both isolate the plate well, but they also absorb and dampen the residual shock from typing.

SPECIAL THANKS

...(and apologies) to the handful of early buyers; your patience & forgiveness is highly appreciated, and I am shipping the orders regardless of the status of the money.
...to Gtrx, for providing awesome feedback and for shilling Cygnus around Discord, as well as lending GMK Nord
...to KingKoala22, also for providing awesome feedback and for shilling Cygnus around Discord
...and to you for reading, especially if you left a comment :)

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 December 2019, 12:03:23 by PheonixStarr »

Offline PheonixStarr

Re: [IC] CYGNUS – Double Gasket Mounted Longboi
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 20:35:40 »
Reserved.

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 20:38:16 »
Is this using Wakizashi PCB?
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline Abec13

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 20:38:21 »
So that's where these renders went.
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline DetectiveNio

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 20:38:59 »
In for plate alone

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 20:40:14 »
Is this using Wakizashi PCB?

Nah, it's got it's own.

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 20:57:08 »
really makes you think

Offline sever

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 21:19:10 »
I'm interested; the renders look very nice. Good job!
  • Any chance of getting some precision-cut material between PCB/plate or plate/case?
  • Will there be a daughterboard for USB?
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 July 2019, 21:21:34 by sever »

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 21:28:29 »
I don't usually go for low angles, but I'd def pick this up.  :thumb:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 21:38:54 »
I like it a lot, you gotta do the teal though. Keep it at 400 if you can and you got a real nice thing going.

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 21:41:16 »
I'm interested; the renders look very nice. Good job!
  • Any chance of getting some precision-cut material between PCB/plate or plate/case?
  • Will there be a daughterboard for USB?

No daughterboard. The USB cutout is enlarged to let the port shift, should the user change the compression. I was entertaining the idea of foam fill—we'll see how it adds up.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 21:54:42 »
looks a lot like the one biso just prototyped, regardless good layout

Offline breckstar

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 21:55:00 »
Looks legit. Colors are top notch.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 21:56:23 »
No WKL option?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Starston3

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 22:01:21 »
Interesting

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 22:24:11 »
Renders make it look so thin, curious to see how it turns out!

Offline yui_

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 22:54:43 »
I wouldn't use this myself but I know lots of people would want to use ISO enter. Are you considering adding this as an option? Maybe with another plate if you didnt wan't to change the current enter key on the plate.

Also, any split backspace support?

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 22:55:39 »
Please add a WKL option  ;)
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline etong415

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 23:46:51 »
are there plans for other plate materials?

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 23:58:04 »
This layout feels weird to me. Wouldn't most people who need arrow keys but don't care for the F-row just go for the 65% layout instead and save the horizontal space?

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 00:04:47 »
looking good
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Domi

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 00:12:03 »
This layout feels weird to me. Wouldn't most people who need arrow keys but don't care for the F-row just go for the 65% layout instead and save the horizontal space?

Biggest issue for me with 65s is most keycaps sets with non uniform profiles only have the correct profiles for Home, PgUp, PgDn, End or Home, End, PgUp, PgDn. In those layouts, PgUp and PgDn are the most accessible of the nav cluster; I actually use Home and End more often. Having a nav cluster where it belongs also means that everything is equidistant from the arrows; I usually never use the 2 keys in the top right just because they feel so far comparatively.

Offline mdlt97

• This **** is still better than Keebtalk
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 00:23:30 »

Biggest issue for me with 65s is most keycaps sets with non uniform profiles only have the correct profiles for Home, PgUp, PgDn, End or Home, End, PgUp, PgDn. In those layouts, PgUp and PgDn are the most accessible of the nav cluster; I actually use Home and End more often. Having a nav cluster where it belongs also means that everything is equidistant from the arrows; I usually never use the 2 keys in the top right just because they feel so far comparatively.

Outside of og dyesubs and select pbt sets, you dont face that issue and even then its not a hard fix, can just buy double shot versions of the few keys you relacing since they arent likely to be highly used
TX60 | Duck TC-V3 | Duck Eagle V2 1/1 Bottom | Zephyr r2 | Duck Sidewinder | Mech27v2 | TX75 | LZ CLS | Duck Viper v2 | Orion v3 | HHKB pro 1 | TGR 910 | Omega60

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 01:27:35 »
Superrrrr interested but pls add split bs

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 01:29:46 »
I wouldn't use this myself but I know lots of people would want to use ISO enter. Are you considering adding this as an option? Maybe with another plate if you didnt wan't to change the current enter key on the plate.

I'm thinking of offering an ISO-compatible aluminum plate, and also open-sourcing it.

No WKL option?

okkkkk WKL option avail

Perhaps not. Maybe an aluminum plate, but meh.

Offline Cresc3nt

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 01:35:07 »
I would love a rgb per key option, so it can all glow white and make it look even more amazing.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 02:32:29 »
Looks simple yet interesting at the same time. Plus, who needs F keys.... useless keys :P
I like your suggestion to open source and support iso on alu plate, this brings me to my questions;
- is brass the only plate material you're planning to support or will you also consider other types of material? (CF, Poly?)
- ne split backspace avail
- ne WKL blocker avail? (can imagine this not happening since it means actual changes to the physical structure of the board)

And last; is the case going to be high profile enough to cover the switches even with SA caps?

Offline Rogue_Jellybean

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 04:54:11 »
Looks clean! Nice infographics. Is this the same board from the renders on the GMK Dracula page or were you just inspired by seeing that layout/board?

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:38:35 »

I'm thinking of offering an ISO-compatible aluminum plate, and also open-sourcing it.

No WKL option?

okkkkk WKL option avail

Perhaps not. Maybe an aluminum plate, but meh.
With the brass plate being a feature in the IC why would you relegate any ISO plate options to aluminum instead of keeping them equal with the ANSI brass plate?

Offline haingo1094

• @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 06:45:09 »
Any option for the sandblasting weight ? I really like this layout but not a big fan of PVD coat

Offline Domi

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 07:42:42 »

Outside of og dyesubs and select pbt sets, you dont face that issue and even then its not a hard fix, can just buy double shot versions of the few keys you relacing since they arent likely to be highly used

Hmmm, I’m not quite sure what you mean; my preferred layout would be PgUp, PgDn, Home, End. I haven’t seen any set come with a R3 Home. And yes I suppose if I really wanted to I could just get a special key made for it but I’m still not the biggest fan of it since it’s not like I don’t use PgUp and PgDn or delete.

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 13:28:53 »
- is brass the only plate material you're planning to support or will you also consider other types of material? (CF, Poly?)
- ne split backspace avail
- ne WKL blocker avail? (can imagine this not happening since it means actual changes to the physical structure of the board)

And last; is the case going to be high profile enough to cover the switches even with SA caps?

Brass won't be the only one. I'm not big on offering an aluminum plate, bc brass is more popular anyway and adding alu will inflate the kit cost. There will, however, be carbon fiber plates available.

Looks clean! Nice infographics. Is this the same board from the renders on the GMK Dracula page or were you just inspired by seeing that layout/board?

Thanks! It's actually a wild, wild coincidence that there's an frowless tkl on GMK Dracula's page (another IDE theme keyset). I don't keep up with Dracula, and I didn't know the Tickle Wickle existed; I was only informed this morning.

With the brass plate being a feature in the IC why would you relegate any ISO plate options to aluminum instead of keeping them equal with the ANSI brass plate?

I don't particularly want to offer an aluminum option, seeing as it'll inflate kit cost and also alu sux. I suppose I could do an ISO brass plate if the demand was high enough to justify the cost of another CNC component. We'll see how it goes.

Any option for the sandblasting weight ? I really like this layout but not a big fan of PVD coat

The prototypes received will be sandblasted to save cost. If you'd like, we can arrange for me to either: package your keeb with sandblasted proto weight & plate; or reserve a proto for you entirely (at 10% discount).

Offline cattharsis

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 14:17:29 »
Just curious, how many would the GB be limited to :o

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 17:42:10 »
The Drevo Calibur V1.
This was the layout that got me into mechanical keyboards.

The idea of having that nav cluster and dedicated arrows was amazing. Not knowing much about keycaps and compabilities, I later found myself  in the territory of 65% which uses a non-standard shift key.

I think this layout is quite nice and might attract a lot of new players into the scene, but I'm not so sure seasoned MK elitist would go for this layout since the name of the game is to go as small as you can while optimizing form factor.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 18:14:18 »
I like the look of this and interested to learn more.

Offline skrunk

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 10:21:54 »
The colors offered are very nice. Assuming the price is good, this might be a first non-black or grey board for me :p
Past Keyboards : LZ CLS, Unikorn, Noxary X65, KFE CE, HHKB Pro2, Realforce TKL

Current Keyboards: FC660C, HHKB Pro1, GSKT-00

Offline dantambok

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 10:45:41 »
me likey! WKL top please  :p
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline t0ch

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 11:05:29 »
Beautiful. Definitely interested in WKL. Would you consider adding Split Backspace support though?

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 11:24:39 »
Definitely in!

Offline Keebo

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 20:17:00 »
Split backspace support please! Other than that, really digging this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 23:05:39 »
I've been waiting forever for a  F-Rowless TKL

Few questions

1. Any possibility to remove the name in the back of the baord?
2. Any possibility to re-design the LED? (Possibly like a line instead of a dot to make it not look out of place)
3. Any WKL Renders?
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 July 2019, 23:26:04 by Mcnos »

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 03:15:13 »
It seems like i'd be interested. :)

Offline ptrick3

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 07:36:46 »
Can you add renders of the teal with white key caps? Other colors are staples sure, but the purple and teal have lots of potential. I’m interested for sure, but I personally need a windows key, so hopefully it isn’t one or the other.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 07:45:11 »
Please, please, please add split backspace support. I'd hate not to buy this board because of the lack of it :D

Offline idlemao

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 09:41:56 »
Very interested in this. Would like to see more wkl renders and more of the purple and teal!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 10:31:51 »
Would cutting up the ANSI brass plate in-between rows 2 and 3 to make it a universal plate that fits an ISO Enter switch position adversely alter the feel of the flex in the plate?
(Not criticising, just curious. I want to make a run myself some day and I'm fascinated with this trend with flexing keyboards...)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 10:42:52 »
2. Any possibility to re-design the LED? (Possibly like a line instead of a dot to make it not look out of place)

This.

Offline jyon

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 12:33:18 »
Great color choices and beautiful renders. Gonna have to keep an eye on these

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 21:04:09 »
Any new updates with this?

Offline voxkey

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 21:55:59 »
This is such a cool layout, very interested.