Author Topic: Exercising  (Read 9897 times)

Offline Aseral

Exercising
« on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 09:28:42 »
I understand this is kinda off for such a forum but I was wondering if/how many Geekhackers do any physical exercises, whether it is weight lifting or some form of cardio.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Exercising
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 09:48:47 »
Yard work.  Aside from my inability to avoid poison ivy it's really quite effective.  Of course it helps that my yard work includes moving ridiculous amounts of rocks and also splitting and moving logs.  Once that's all done I have no idea what I'll be doing for exercise.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Daniel Beaver

Exercising
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 10:41:51 »
It used to be cycling and running. Lately, it's been nothing due to the demands of grad school.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Exercising
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 11:57:14 »
Swim, bike, little jogging. Clears the head, clears the arteries, plus LOTS of girls exercise, so it's a great way to check out their goods and attitude before dropping $80+ and 4 hours on a get-to-know-you-and-then-find-out-you're-pretty-worthless date.

I want to know their "Ping!ability Quotient" asap.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline itlnstln

Exercising
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 12:17:23 »
I GTL everyday.  Weightlifting and outdoor sports.

Someone showed me this workout plan, and I must say, it's highly effective: http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/

Offline RiGS

Exercising
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 12:39:36 »
It was me.
Btw I used to compete in amateur body building. Here is an old competition photo of me below.
Now I switched to gymnastic style bodyweight training. I enjoy it much more.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 27061[/ATTACH]
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline itlnstln

Exercising
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 12:54:34 »
It looks like a couple of those cats got charred in the tanning bed.  I think you're supposed to fake-bake with spray tan not ebony wood stain.

Offline Urglifast

Exercising
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 13:05:14 »
gotta get back into my routine (moving always throws off the routine), but i usually run several miles and circuit training every other day.

Offline RiGS

Exercising
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 13:24:43 »
Quote from: ripster;420048
How come you're the only happy one?

Dunno. Maybe I was thinking about cloud of boobs.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Lanx

Exercising
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 13:25:51 »
i feel like dog crap having fallen off the workout wagon, been off of it for about a month, my sleeping schedule is all messed up and i have less energy blah blah...

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Exercising
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 15:04:07 »
I exercise with cock pushups. One per day.

I can only do one. Fortunately, one is all you need.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Exercising
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 16:14:15 »
[video=youtube;zomOYQHzg40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zomOYQHzg40[/video]

Here's some pics...this is also sometimes referred to as "planking". Very good exercise.

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
Exercising
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 September 2011, 16:50:54 »
I didn't exercise in the past, but I started a few months back just running a couple of kms on the treadmill each day. Been thinking of starting with some weight lifting too. We have some home gym equipment so I really have no excuse.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline Chobopants

Exercising
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 13:40:47 »
Grew up doing gymnastics, then got into body building a bit (nice job Rigs), then did MMA for a while, now im 100% rock climbing. I'm just not into bulking up and spending hours in the gym anymore, I prefer a more cerebral and focused type of exercise that at least feels like it has a purpose.

Climbing gym Tuesday/Thursday from 7-10 with cooldown workouts after climbing consisting of either hanging exercises or doing 5 minute abs workouts. Climbing gym Saturday on bad weather otherwise climb outside.

Non-climbing days I just stop at the gym down the street I do 15 minutes on the rowing machine and a couple sets of pull ups/pushups to feel like I got a little exercise every day.

Nothing crazy but keeps me healthy and happy.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline itlnstln

Exercising
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 14:57:14 »
Disc golf on the weekends.  In the Texas Hill Country, that means a 5-mile, or so, hike up big hills and rocks with a 30 lbs. bag (depending on how many discs you carry) on your back.

Offline itlnstln

Exercising
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 15:02:56 »
They hang out at the club house.  Texas is hotter than the babes.

Offline itlnstln

Exercising
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 15:05:13 »
Dallas is up north.  It's cooler there.

Offline itlnstln

Exercising
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 15:47:49 »
Rick Perry's a dumbass.  I'm surprised that he's the Republican front-runner.  At least GWB was consistent.  Rick Perry's been pulling a scam-job for years.  The only reason he gets re-elected is because Texas is Republican and, obviously, the Republicans aren't going to run someone else up against him.  He just wins by default.

In Texas, education is not a right, it's a privilege.  That's why we're ranked 48th in the US in education.

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
Exercising
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 16:16:28 »
I did the P90x. Hardest thing ever. Now I am about to do the Insanity. I am scared. :eyebrows:

I think I am gonna order the P90X2 as well. That is the key to getting a great body: Switching up the workout program and the diet plan every few months. Otherwise, your body may get use to the same routine everyday. I know mine does. Besides, it is good to try different things.

Yoga is a *****.

http://www.Beachbody.com
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 September 2011, 16:20:44 by Deverica Wolf »
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Exercising
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 16:32:51 »
Do you think with that face it's really gonna help?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Lanx

Exercising
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 17:27:19 »
Quote from: Deverica Wolf;420554
I did the P90x. Hardest thing ever. Now I am about to do the Insanity. I am scared. :eyebrows:
insanity... because it's so BORING you'll go crazy, no seriously after 5 weeks it was so monotonous i was gonna loose it, everything is all legs, legs, legs... one pushup, legs legs legs.

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
Exercising
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 17:36:20 »
Quote from: alaricljs;420558
Do you think with that face it's really gonna help?

Now I'm smiling. Is that better?

Quote from: Lanx;420583
insanity... because it's so BORING you'll go crazy, no seriously after 5 weeks it was so monotonous i was gonna loose it, everything is all legs, legs, legs... one pushup, legs legs legs.

Thank the Lord it's only 2 months.
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
Exercising
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 19:22:19 »
I own CrossFit Quantum, and I lift 2-3 times a week and a tiny bit of metabolic conditioning.  

Mostly lifting. :)

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Exercising
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 19:48:28 »
Quote from: Deverica Wolf;420584
Now I'm smiling. Is that better?

Silly, but at least it doesn't scare my cat away ;)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Malphas

Exercising
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 15:49:14 »
I hate exercise, I used to be athletic in school and university (did sports science) but now I spend like all day driving or at my PC, eat junk food, poison myself with alcohol every weekend and have smoker's lungs.  I still look in shape, but I'm a wreck underneath.

Offline enoy21

Exercising
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 18:18:57 »
Every year or two I go through about 3-4 months of hard weightlifting , lose about 20 lbs of fat , gain about 5 lbs of muscle Get back to a physical appearance that I can tolerate and then slack off and rinse/repeat.  when I was younger I lifted hard for about 3 years and got to be pretty big.    But 3 bowls of cerial , 2 combo meals at lunch and good dinner got to be expensive on top of the protein shakes.   I never really did the Glutamine/Creatine kick.   I had enough trouble taking vitamins everyday.  It kills me that ON 100% whey is so expensive these days. When I first started taking it , it was $22/5lb from Bulknutrition.com

I also just wanted to say .... Rigs.  Your avatar looks earily like your face in that photo.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline Pretendo

Exercising
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 19:56:47 »
Try to get into the gym at least 5 times a week.  30 minutes of cardio (running or elliptical, depending on how I feel) followed by certain core group muscles.  Usually some combo of Back/Bicep, Chest/Tricep, abdominals, and legs.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
Exercising
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 20:14:49 »
Quote from: enoy21;421272
I never really did the Glutamine/Creatine kick.   I had enough trouble taking vitamins everyday.  It kills me that ON 100% whey is so expensive these days. When I first started taking it , it was $22/5lb from Bulknutrition.com

I am taking 1 Tablespoon (13.5G) of Glutamine in the morning and night on an empty stomach. I then drink a big cup of water it wash it down. It's supposed be great for weight loss and boosts HGH better than Arginine. Take it for three-weeks and stop a week. I read it on a British protein forum.

I used to get ON's Whey from GNC...a huge container for $45. Would last a while but it gave me cramps and acne. Now I take Swanson Vitamin's Soy Protein with Stevia.

Quote from: Pretendo;421316
Try to get into the gym at least 5 times a week.  30 minutes of cardio (running or elliptical, depending on how I feel) followed by certain core group muscles.  Usually some combo of Back/Bicep, Chest/Tricep, abdominals, and legs.

I had heard a little 2 minute warm-up was proper before weight-lifting, and THEN a big cardio session after. Then you work your abs last. I once did a big cardio before I lifted-weights and it sucked balls. Vice-versa not as bad.

Offline EverythingIBM

Exercising
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 25 September 2011, 22:53:44 »
Protein shakes + pushups. Trying to alleviate my skinny physique. Cannot gain fat whatsoever. So have to try it with muscle (which IS working somewhat).
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline speakeasy

Exercising
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 01:14:06 »
Gym 3 times a week. It's hard as hell to eat enough though, I gained 20lbs and then lost 7 :(
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline Aseral

Exercising
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 03:32:03 »
I started going to the gym 4 days a week for weight lifting followed by 20-30min cardio sessions and also eating healthy + protein shakes. I have to admit eating healthy(especially during bulking period) is really expensive but I want to achieve my projection of "ideal body" atleast once in my life ;p

Offline Canada

Exercising
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 13:51:28 »
I do the occasional crunch and pull-up, but I am admittedly not an exercise aficionado.

woody

Exercising
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 09:47:23 »
I exercise in futility. And drinking, although only on hobby grounds - after half a liter of vodka and bunch of random shots it's not interesting anymore. I also exercise in getting rid of my laziness, although I'm a bit lazy on achieving results on this one.

Offline shrap

Exercising
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 12:39:16 »
Fitocracy tries to gamify exercise, if you're into that kind of thing. I'm at level 10 =P

Offline Malphas

Exercising
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 13:59:31 »
Me and my friends were using that for a while, until sneaking in non-exercise things like walking up stairs started creeping in and gradually escalated into blatant lies and full-blown cheating to get to first position on the leaderboard.  My last submission was a 12 mile swim and 50 mile run.

Offline shrap

Exercising
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 16:07:13 »
Since there's no prize at the end, seems like you would be just cheating yourself.

It's given me a reason, albeit pointless, to ramp up my weight work.