Author Topic: Ridin' Dirty in da VA  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
Ridin' Dirty in da VA
« on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 18:45:27 »
Hi GH,

Earlier this month I took a small road trip with a couple friends to VA beach and during my turn driving I got pulled over for going 70 at a 45 (I honestly thought it was 55 at least). And in VA, driving 20 over the speed limit requires a court summon and if I don't show up to court a warrant for my arrest could be issued by the court.

I basically have a couple options, take a 7 hour drive down (I live in NJ) and go to court, hire a VA lawyer to go for me, or skip court and automatically plea guilty. My original plan was to show up to court because I have a friend that had the same thing, hired a lawyer and got a $1000 fee, appealed that and went in herself and got off with just a warning. Some research online seem to give inconsistent and maybe outdated information. Now I'm not necessarily seeking legal advice from internet strangers, but perhaps someone on GH had the same experience that might have some insight. Has this happen to you? What ended up happening?

Pls halp
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 20:23:36 by Acetrak »

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
Re: Ridin' Dirty in VA
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 18:46:30 »
Wait until boost sees this, he will fill you in :p
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 18:49:16 »
Oh Acebro, you're hilarious

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 18:51:38 »
Wait until boost sees this, he will fill you in :p
I lul'd.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 18:53:50 »
Bro,

Only thing I can tell you is get a lawyer as that's a lot of points. When I drive down va I always pull my radar down and do the speed limit as va don't play games ..

Good luck man!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 19:10:37 »
You don't live in VA you don't need to show up. That's a local violation, so unless they bump it up to a federal case you can just ignore it. Source: I have a bunch of unpaied parking tickets from another state that have gone unmentioned by anyone for 9 years, but I cannot get arrested in that state I assume. There's probably a legal time limit on them being valid anyways, like 6 years or something.

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 19:29:58 »
You don't live in VA you don't need to show up. That's a local violation, so unless they bump it up to a federal case you can just ignore it. Source: I have a bunch of unpaied parking tickets from another state that have gone unmentioned by anyone for 9 years, but I cannot get arrested in that state I assume. There's probably a legal time limit on them being valid anyways, like 6 years or something.

This does not always work.  They may eventually put a collection agency on you.

Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 20:16:35 »
Parking tickets aren't the same as a moving violation. Is it an infraction or misdemeanor violation?

Offline okooko

• afk.
Re: Ridin' Dirty in da VA
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 20:24:42 »
i just gizoogled the first post.

Earlier dis month I took a lil' small-ass road trip wit a cold-ass lil couple playaz ta VA beach n' durin mah turn rollin I gots pulled over fo' goin 70 at a 45 (I straight-up thought dat shiznit was 55 at least) fo' realz. And up in VA, rollin 20 over tha speed limit requires a cold-ass lil court summon n' if I don't show up ta court a warrant fo' mah arrest could be issued by tha court.

I basically gotz a cold-ass lil couple options, take a 7 minute drive down (Hoes know mah name up in NJ) n' git all up in court, hire a VA lawyer ta go fo' me, or skip court n' automatically plea guilty. My ****in original gangsta plan was ta show up ta court cuz I gots a gangbangin' playa dat had tha same thang, hired a lawyer n' gots a $1000 fee, appealed dat n' went up in her mutha****in ass n' gots off wit just a warning. Right back up in yo mutha****in ass. Some research online seem ta give inconsistent n' maybe outdated shiznit. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Now I'm not necessarily seekin legal lyrics from internizzle strangers yo, but like one of mah thugs on GH had tha same experience dat might have some insight yo. Has dis happen ta yo slick ass, biatch? What ended up happening, biatch?

Pls halp

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 20:27:42 »
I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch.

Gizoogle is probably the greatest invention of mankind.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 20:29:20 »
I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch.

Gizoogle is probably the greatest invention of mankind.

Suddenly everything makes so much more sense, especially the news.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 20:33:58 »
i hate VA with a passion, i won't go past DC, since that's the limit of friends i have stops there. My DC friends say what's so bad, and i say, you try living there for 6 years, ugh.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:26:42 »
"I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch."

I don't think that translated from anything I wrote, but I wasn't talking about chicken and gravy biatch.

Fo real tho, anyone had the same thing?

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:32:43 »
Hire a lawyer.

VA is merciless in tracking down revenue from out-of-state traffic violators.  They participate in the inter-state tracking system, so unpaid traffic tickets in VA will make it impossible to get a license in other states.  And, negatively impact your insurance rates.

Hire a lawyer, plead it down to less than 20 over the limit, and pay an adjusted fine.

All the info above?  Personal experience.   :-X

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:37:27 »
hire a lawyer

ALWAYS hire a lawyer.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:48:16 »
Would me not showing up in court and have a lawyer represent me get me a harsher punishment compare to me showing up with my lawyer.

Yeah my goal is to plea it down below 20, probably do a defensive driving course or community service or something to hopefully not impact my license and insurance

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:50:05 »
Would me not showing up in court and have a lawyer represent me get me a harsher punishment compare to me showing up with my lawyer.

Yeah my goal is to plea it down below 20, probably do a defensive driving course or community service or something to hopefully not impact my license and insurance

Talk to your lawyer, see what he/she recommends.

I would think you'll have to show up, but that's just based on my own case.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:52:39 »
i will agree that va is merciless with their dmv, 1 year after i moved out of that hellhole, they send us a bill for their car tax, i'm like i don't live here or have anything to do with va.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 18:57:04 »
You have a few options, and it depends on VA.
Beware, some states don't care if you are from out of state or even from out of the country even, if you don't show, they will issue a warrant, lawyer or not. However, if they don't send to collection agencies, and they don't share info with your state, you can often simply ignore it and let the statute of limitations expire.  Just be careful when traveling in a state that shares info. However, you need to find out about these things first.

A bench warrant means little unless it's federal, or if they share with your state or one you pass through a lot. Even then, this is a bit iffy. Most states with an agreement will only extradite when the warrant exceeds a certain limit. Like in Arizona, 20 years ago they would only serve a warrant or extradite if it was close to $800. Otherwise it was simply not worth their time, you could even get another ticket and they wouldn't haul you in. I got out of a ticket there this way (Arizona LOVES out of state students!). Strangely they didn't work with California on any of it, but they do work with a few other states across the country. Kind of silly not to work with neighboring states if you plan on working with any. California never said a thing about my ticket/warrent in Arizona, however when I moved to the midwest, I had to clear it before they would issue me a license, by that time the statute of limitations had expired but it still showed on my record. They purged it from the records and I got my license.

By the way, if you have a commercial license, you cannot hide, it's always nationwide. Get a ticket in any state and ignore it and you will have license issues no matter where you go and can be arrested for it.

As for Lanx's tax, that happens in MANY states. The tax office doesn't always know you left and sometimes wants that last few months of taxes you got out of paying. My mom had to fight California over the same thing when she left.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 19:09:51 »
Virginia police suck.
Virginia legal system sucks.
Virginia sucks.
Don't break the law in Virginia, they'll bone you hard.