Author Topic: Do you like Tolkien, Sherlock and Science Fiction? Support Mythgard!  (Read 930 times)

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
Hello fellow geekhackers! I hope that this doesn't come off as beggy. I think this is probably of interest to some of you. Please take a second to check out this indiegogo campaign for Mythgard. They're an online, non-profit university that focuses on fantasy and science fiction, founded by The Tolkien Professor. You can take classes to get masters credit for 500$ or audit them (no papers or discussion groups) for 150$. I've been pursuing a Masters in Tolkien Studies there and i cannot say enough good things about them.

For the last year and a half my sanity has been preserved in large part thanks to the tremendous, tireless efforts of the staff of Mythgard Institute. Not just because they offer classes in subjects that are near and dear to my heart like Tolkien, but because they do so at insanely affordable rates and with unflagging dedication to their students. These are people who care first and foremost about reaching as many students as possible, for as cheap as possible, so they can share their knowledge.

If you've ever wanted to study Tolkien or Science Fiction but didn't want to run up a bunch of student debt to do so, well here's your chance. This campaign will raise funds not just for the institute but also to put on a series of open, totally free, available live and on-demand lectures on a variety of subjects that you, me, and anyone else who contributes to the campaign get to vote on. Not only do you get something great out of it, but it also supports a great organization that's doing a lot of good.

Even if all you can spare is 5 dollars, please consider doing so here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-mythgard-institute

Also: if you really wanna be a hero, sign up for one of this semester's classes! They're offering three this year: Sherlock, Science And Ratiocination, Tolkien And Tradition, and Philology Through Tolkien. I'll be taking Philology Through Tolkien!
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 August 2013, 22:59:13 by acantha »
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline rao2100

Re: Do you like Tolkien, Sherlock and Science Fiction? Support Mythgard!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:01:16 »
Interesting, thanks for sharing :)
| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |