Author Topic: Amazon returning keyboard?  (Read 16806 times)

Offline ajx

Amazon returning keyboard?
« on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:48:51 »
Hey, i know Amazon is huge market to find anything
they offer a ton of great services including return and refund
in my case, i would try mx-Blue switch and wonder if i can use and try this for 30 days and eventually return it within 30 days
could they refuse my return because i opened keyboard that has been obviously used?

thanks

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
Re: Amazon returning keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:54:11 »
How is this a great find?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 23:57:13 »

This is my question as well.  Also, why would you do that?  All that mentality does is raise the price for everything else they sell.  This is also why places have a restocking fee.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline intelli78

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 00:05:38 »

This is my question as well.  Also, why would you do that?  All that mentality does is raise the price for everything else they sell.  This is also why places have a restocking fee.

I agree. Return policies are not for test drives.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 00:10:44 »
Buy a switch tester (they aren't that expensive and will give you a good feel for the 4 most common switches) do some research on other details.  This would include stabs, cap material, legend printing method, and layout.  If you don't like it, chances are you can dump it in the classifieds for most of what you paid.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline piglickjf

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:22:00 »
You could, but you'll have to pay to ship it back to them, and there will be a restocking fee on top of it, so you'll be out a non-0significant amount of money just to test it. Up to you whether that's worth it or not.

PigLick

Offline Norz

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 16:46:44 »
Still probably the best way to "test" a keyboard, but I wouldn't be proud of doing it. Then again, depending where you live its VERY hard to find some switches/keyboards..

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 17:01:07 »
1 month and return?
When i usually buy something, there's only 3-7 days 'test' and then the warranty.

What you could do if they don't want to return is cut some –FIXABLE- cable on the inside and try to change the product.

Obviously, you would be a jerk doing that. But does the job.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 17:05:49 »
1 month and return?
When i usually buy something, there's only 3-7 days 'test' and then the warranty.

What you could do if they don't want to return is cut some –FIXABLE- cable on the inside and try to change the product.

This could also be considered fraud and should never be recommended.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 17:52:44 »
1 month and return?

I included emergency and jerk on my not-so-recommendation.
Also, I'm talking about if for example, they say "YEAH you can return it within 30 days" and they DON'T.

That's fraud too.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:23:32 »
1 month and return?

Also, I'm talking about if for example, they say "YEAH you can return it within 30 days" and they DON'T.

That's fraud too.

The question though is, does the amazon return policy allow returns based on buyers remorse?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 18:36:44 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

The question though is, does the amazon return policy allow returns based on buyers remorse?

If you haven't opened the product:
Yes, you can return it if you have buyer's remorse.

If you have opened the product:
No, you can't return the product because of buyer's remorse.

Offline luis911

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:00:57 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

What about non-sealed products, meaning that hey had no official seal to begin with. I guess thats free territory.
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:03:59 »
my wife buys shoes on amazon (it's actually not weird a lot of girls do), if it doesn't fit, i just print out the free ups return and drop it in the mail (or the store it's 3 blocks away). I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work if they saw like scuff marks on the soles or evidence of walking. i'm pretty sure i bought a sony dig cam and returned it a few years back cuz of image quality.

Offline luis911

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:17:18 »
my wife buys shoes on amazon (it's actually not weird a lot of girls do), if it doesn't fit, i just print out the free ups return and drop it in the mail (or the store it's 3 blocks away). I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work if they saw like scuff marks on the soles or evidence of walking. i'm pretty sure i bought a sony dig cam and returned it a few years back cuz of image quality.
Yea Amazon would flip their **** if they saw cheetos remnants on a brand new keyboard.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:24:11 »

Yea Amazon would flip their **** if they saw cheetos remnants on a brand new keyboard.

A distinction I want to point out is that shoes and clothes have special return policies and can be returned if they don't fit.
That doesn't apply to things like keyboards.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:31:09 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

Wrong. Bought a QFR from Amazon, opened it up, used it for a few days, got a full refund for everything I paid + return shipping.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:35:09 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

Wrong. Bought a QFR from Amazon, opened it up, used it for a few days, got a full refund for everything I paid + return shipping.

That's because you took advantage of Amazon and lied.
You're not supposed to open a product, try it and then return it.
When you return a product, it has to be new.
Not to mention, Amazon doesn't pay for your return shipping unless you claim it's their fault.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:41:34 by the1onewolf »

Offline aref

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:41:06 »

I agree. Return policies are not for test drives.

+1: I, too, agree

Offline luis911

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:41:36 »
Amazon profited $2.4 x 10^8 last quarter. Im sure they can take a slight restocking hit.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:44:09 »
Amazon profited $2.4 x 10^8 last quarter. Im sure they can take a slight restocking hit.

Yet analysts don't consider that enough so Amazon stocks have been fluctuating and Amazon is considering doing some price hikes on things like Prime.

This is also an issue of principle. You shouldn't be ****ing Amazon around just because you can. They do lose money, just like any other business, when you order something with the intention of test driving it and then returning it ... on their dime by claiming it was something Amazon screwed up.

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:46:32 by the1onewolf »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:47:05 »

Which, of course, has no bearing at all on the ethics of return policy shenanigans... In some cases, economics and ethics do intersect, but this is not one of them.

Offline luis911

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:47:35 »

Yet analysts don't consider that enough so Amazon stocks have been fluctuating and Amazon is considering doing some price hikes on things like Prime.

I'm not really a financial economist, but really? thats considered bad?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:49:59 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

Not to mention, Amazon doesn't pay for your return shipping unless you claim it's their fault.

What did I lie about? Said I didn't want the keyboard, got a refund. Obviously they do pay for return shipping without me 'claiming it's their fault'? Rofl.

Edit: Btw, I bought the keyboard with the wrong layout, so I e-mailed Amazon, told them I bought the wrong keyboard, asked nicely if I could get a refund and they were super nice and gave me full refund for everything I had already paid, plus the return shipping of like $40.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:53:47 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline luis911

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:51:09 »

Which, of course, has no bearing at all on the ethics of return policy shenanigans... In some cases, economics and ethics do intersect, but this is not one of them.

It doesn't, but to be honest if I ever decided to test something and return it, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I would if it was a local shop, but Amazon, I've given them enough money that I believe I deserve some leeway on return policy shenanigans.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:54:16 »

It doesn't, but to be honest if I ever decided to test something and return it, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I would if it was a local shop, but Amazon, I've given them enough money that I believe I deserve some leeway on return policy shenanigans.

Yea, I'm not saying it's genocide, and I wouldn't lose sleep over it if it's a really rare occurrence. I just don't like the attitude of some people (not saying you are one of them), which is that return policy = test drive. For example, if you go to Costco the weekend after the Super Bowl, there are always a bunch of lowlife-looking dudes returning TVs... that they bought full well knowing they'd return them after the game. That, in my opinion, is indefensible

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:54:51 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

What did I lie about? Said I didn't want the keyboard, got a refund. Obviously they do pay for return shipping without me 'claiming it's their fault'? Rofl.

Return Shipping Costs
If you return an item using the return label provided in the Online Returns Center, and the reason for return is not a result of an Amazon.com error, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund. If you choose the U.S. Postal Service option, the amount that will be deducted from your refund is displayed. If you choose the self return option, you'll pay the cost charged by the carrier selected.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:58:09 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

Return Shipping Costs
If you return an item using the return label provided in the Online Returns Center, and the reason for return is not a result of an Amazon.com error, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund. If you choose the U.S. Postal Service option, the amount that will be deducted from your refund is displayed. If you choose the self return option, you'll pay the cost charged by the carrier selected.

Are you slow or something? They were nice enough to give me a refund on return shipping as well, even though the purchase was my own fault, not Amazons.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 20:06:19 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

Return Shipping Costs

Are you slow or something? They were nice enough to give me a refund on return shipping as well, even though the purchase was my own fault, not Amazons.

The question was - The question though is, does the amazon return policy allow returns based on buyers remorse?
You made a mistake, bought the wrong layout and worked it out with Amazon. That's not the same thing as buyer's remorse.
Make that distinction next time.

One more thing.
Before you call somebody else slow.
Maybe you should've written that the first time instead of it editing it in later.
You clearly knew where I was coming from and after I posted their standard return policy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 20:28:39 by the1onewolf »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 20:48:59 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

Return Shipping Costs

The question was - The question though is, does the amazon return policy allow returns based on buyers remorse?
You made a mistake, bought the wrong layout and worked it out with Amazon. That's not the same thing as buyer's remorse.

One more thing.
Maybe you should've written that the first time instead of it editing it in later.
You clearly knew where I was coming from and after I posted their standard return policy.

1. Didn't call you slow.
2. I edited it in like 10 seconds after the original post or something, because I thought you needed some clarification.
2. I bought something I didn't want, and regretted it. Doesn't that qualify as 'buyers remorse'?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 21:01:51 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

Return Shipping Costs

One more thing.

1. Didn't call you slow.
2. I edited it in like 10 seconds after the original post or something, because I thought you needed some clarification.
2. I bought something I didn't want, and regretted it. Doesn't that qualify as 'buyers remorse'?

Edit:  Bolded three posts up

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 21:14:35 »
1 month and return?

That's fraud too.

Return Shipping Costs

One more thing.

1. Didn't call you slow.

Edit:  Bolded three posts up

Was a question, hence the question mark. Not a statement. :)

Offline luis911

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 21:17:35 »
OH god, whatever guys. stop quoting a million posts.

Offline Norz

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 05:27:17 »
It's totally wrong to do that but seriously, I don't live in a ****hole and it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to find a single MX Blue anywhere for me to test. Had to find a "sample kit", which is far from being enough, and made me do a choice I now regret. In some cases i'm not shocked people end up doing this amazon "trick"..

I kinda wish I did right now :(

Offline intelli78

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 11:25:59 »
My suggestion is:

Buy from Amazon or whoever.  Keep the box, packing material, and all original parts. Keep the item mint. If you don't like it, pack it back up (you've got everything you need except tape and a label) and resell it on Geekhack for most of what you paid. Super easy, minimal cost, and no harm done.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 14:24:28 »
My suggestion is:

Buy from Amazon or whoever.  Keep the box, packing material, and all original parts. Keep the item mint. If you don't like it, pack it back up (you've got everything you need except tape and a label) and resell it on Geekhack for most of what you paid. Super easy, minimal cost, and no harm done.

Much better idea.

Offline luis911

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 14:30:16 »
My suggestion is:

Much better idea.

Yes, that would probably be the most ethical way.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 14:36:20 »
Douche bags like op are the reason Costco got rid of their awesome return policy
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 14:39:02 »
ITT: You should keep things you don't like, because that's more ethical than returning it even though returns because of things like buyer's remorse are encouraged.

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:08:52 »
There is no free lunch, and like someone said, if you return because of buyer's remorse, it raises the operating cost of the store and eventually hurts the manufacturer (you think big boys like amazon would take the lost? It's going back to CM/or whatever the manufacturer)

Like many people here, I want to try all the different switches.
There are many ways to do it, if you have a local BM store, just go and try out the common switches.

For me, when I see a sales going on for a switch type (mx-green, mx-clear) that I can't find elsewhere, I buy it and resell it on classified if I don't like it for a 20-25% lost.

You can use the reverse method to find cheap keyboard from the classified section, and sell it if it's not your cup of tea.
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:10:10 »
you think big boys like amazon would take the lost? It's going back to CM/or whatever the manufacturer

Wrongerino

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=1267877011