Author Topic: The grumpy dad  (Read 4088 times)

Offline ianxblog

• no
The grumpy dad
« on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:04:51 »
My dad is 53. Not working since 3 months ago due a heart attack.

He cuestions the fact that I'm gonna buy a Chicony KB-5161 (That i've seen on ebay at $100~) for $20.

He says mechanical keyboards are completely stupid, "membranes work fine and nobody should need more than that".
He used a lot of money on his custom(s) sound system, including 7.1 surround, optic fiber, and such. He bought always the latest TV technology
(32" LCD, 42" LCD, 46" LED, looking for a 60" LED). For what? Seeing movies downloaded from Internet.
He also used a lot of money on the build of a complete Recording Studio, with several mics, expensive consoles, muuuuuultiple speakers, a lot of work on acoustics, the expensive and not available this days Yamaha NS-10 Monitors. Some expensive Fender, Yamaha and other brands Guitar and Bass amps. He used it for profit for a while, and then got a new job and quit.

He bought the brand new Toyota Etios, having a fully working Volskwagen Pointer (that has some features that the new car DOESN'T and only needed some fix on the gas consumption), and having also a fully working Suzuki GN125 bought 2 years ago that he uses for almost everything.

So basically, $20 for a mechanical keyboard is a waste. Obviously, $80-100-120-150 dollars that most new mechanical keyboard cost is INSANE.

My relationship with him never was good, obviously.
But this is cracks my nerves sometimes..
I'm 17, btw.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: I forgot to say, you may want to know Im from Argentina, and all that material stuff costs A LOT. The things inside the recording studio may be worth hundreds of dollars.
And also he has a workshop where he ensamblated his own speakers. A ton of expensive tools and machines.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:07:55 by ianxblog »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: The grumpy dad
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:08:45 »
Do what you think is reasonable and right.  Everyone has their opinions, and it's extremely likely that you will have differing opinions with another human being, especially one 36 years older than you.

If you have your own money (via allowances or a part-time job)--you should be able to spend some of it on entertainment.  It sounds like your family is not poor, so don't feel bad about spending $20 if it's yours.  Smile, nod, and do your own thing :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:09:00 »
Sounds like you should cut him some slack. People aren't always rational, and it doesn't sound like you've been neglected in any sense.

My suggestion is to get a job, or find some work you could do for your dad. Ask him if there is work you could do in exchange for the keyboard.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:13:23 »
Im not rich or anything. He bought all that stuff working a lot. Obviously I'm gonna do what I want to do. It's MY money. But he said something like "I don't wanna see another (I have like 4 membrane keyboards and a capacitive) or I will break it to hell. It's also somehow annoying to live with another person with this mentality around things. He's narcicist, and thinks his arguments are the only valid.

Obviously im 1 year to finish high school, will get a job and move the hell out of here. And have a brand new mechanical keyboard.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:14:59 »
If you have your own money (via allowances or a part-time job)--you should be able to spend some of it on entertainment.

I forgot to say that he always tries and actually did one time, to manage my money (Money that I get from little works there and there, and my grandmother) and wanted to have me asking him for my OWN money, and he would give it to me in case the buy was rational. Obviously, this isn't a rational buy for him.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:16:39 »
My dad was like that in some way (though not to that extreme).  Perhaps you could try selling your existing keyboards first to show that you're not being excessive?  At worst, wait another year until you're 18 :)  It's not actually that long in the grand scheme of things :D

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:23:01 »
Im not rich or anything. He bought all that stuff working a lot. Obviously I'm gonna do what I want to do. It's MY money. But he said something like "I don't wanna see another (I have like 4 membrane keyboards and a capacitive) or I will break it to hell. It's also somehow annoying to live with another person with this mentality around things. He's narcicist, and thinks his arguments are the only valid.

Obviously im 1 year to finish high school, will get a job and move the hell out of here. And have a brand new mechanical keyboard.

So I take it you're paying rent, buying your own food and clothes, getting yourself to and from school and generally already acting like an adult and as such expect to have your purchases respected like an adult?

No?

Then you aren't "living with another person with this mentality around things", you're being supported by your dad.  He's not being a narcicist, he's being your dad and telling you not to spend your money in a way that seems superfluous.  Just because he has more than one mode of transportation doesn't mean he shouldn't parent you about spending.  Just because he has a professional studio that he once used as income (probably to make sure you had a roof over your head and food in your belly) that he doesn't use any more doesn't mean he can't tell you not to get things you won't use 24/7.

Once you actually go out in the real world and support yourself, maybe then your opinion about this would be valid.

If you have your own money (via allowances or a part-time job)--you should be able to spend some of it on entertainment.

I forgot to say that he always tries and actually did one time, to manage my money (Money that I get from little works there and there, and my grandmother) and wanted to have me asking him for my OWN money, and he would give it to me in case the buy was rational. Obviously, this isn't a rational buy for him.

Yeah, how dare he try to show you how to be better and not make the same errors he made.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:29:05 »
So I take it you're paying rent, buying your own food and clothes, getting yourself to and from school and generally already acting like an adult and as such expect to have your purchases respected like an adult?

I got to and from school myself. I buy most of my clothes from money from my grandmothers. I somewhat act like an adult, doing some jobs and he never takes me anywhere, so I use public transport, if that counts as adult-like. He always spent the less possible on food, and only does because it's his ******* obligation.

My sister is another case. She got almost everything she wants, she's 20 and living on the same roof without being questioned about buys or anything, and on vacation from university.

He never wanted me, anyways. I'm somewhat of an accident. That explains almost everything.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:35:43 »
Yeah, how dare he try to show you how to be better and not make the same errors he made.

Everyone make mistakes. Life teach you about them, not not-allowing your son to buy a mechanical keyboard because mechanical keyboards are "DUMB"

I forgot to say that he never studied. He finished high school and went straight to his recording studio dream. His fathers always supported him. A little economic help and a lot of support.
The big-ass recording studio is actually built in the ex-giant backyard of his mother's house.

However when I talk him about how I want to study something computer-relationated (probably web design) he's like:
"That's dumb. That only work for Internet. Study something serious and get a real job."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:40:43 »
Well, I am an "older" (fortunately healthy and working) dad of 2 teenagers, and I do not indulge them in much because I don't have a lot of spare money, but I try to allow them independence.

I love music more than just about anything, and although I do not play, I have a very large and interesting collection of recorded music that they care very little about. I accept that their interests will be different from mine.

The most important thing that I can say is that parents regret it tremendously when we watch our children making the same mistakes that we made, but there is usually no way around it.
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:47:04 »
It's very important to allow children to make their own mistakes and learn from them.  Overbearing parents who think they know best and end up over-caring / over-protecting are usually causing their children to doubt themselves and take much longer to be truly independent.  Allowing some healthy degree of independence is very important.  I'm old enough to have a teenage child as well if I had wanted and have had some very difficult relationships with my parents myself.  My mother has actually been coming around to a lot of thins I've complained to her about, as she is now seeing someone who is very similar to her in personality, so she's getting to see that side of herself from an external perspective.  Parents are just other human beings and children are more than pets or personal property to feed, dress, and shape into whatever we want.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:50:10 »

I got to and from school myself. I buy most of my clothes from money from my grandmothers. I somewhat act like an adult, doing some jobs and he never takes me anywhere, so I use public transport, if that counts as adult-like. He always spent the less possible on food, and only does because it's his ******* obligation.

My sister is another case. She got almost everything she wants, she's 20 and living on the same roof without being questioned about buys or anything, and on vacation from university.

He never wanted me, anyways. I'm somewhat of an accident. That explains almost everything.

look, the way you sound, you talk like a teen (which you are), you're basically grasping at straws, you'll never win this, b/c adults will just see you're being a child, either from experience or having raised one. We're asking you "can you play football?", your answer is "i can tie shoelaces"

you're dad is almost two generations behind you, if you can relate to him, that's cool, if you can't, don't be a **** up and distance yourself, he's TWO ****ING generations behind you.

just know that 99% of the ppl you meet won't understand why they hell you like different keyboards, ****, the fact he even knows what a membrane keyboard is ****ing fantastic enough.

please don't act like a spoiled little *****, it doesn't matter if your were planned or an accident, your his kid, he ****ing loves you, stop being a ***** and love him back.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:55:52 »
My dad, anyways, is more like an ego-centric human being.

He really doesn't care much about if I learn from mistakes or not, I think.

Right now my cats are hungry. He always buy little food for them (the cheap) and he said "Let them pass hunger".

My mom can't mostly shop for food with the money he gives. However, he eats expensive food like Salmon. Because god damnit HE has health problems.

We aren't poor. He just saves like 80% of his montly income because is HIS money and he'll use it for stuff HE wants. Or his beloved daughter, maybe!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:56:55 »
tumblr.com
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 16:57:33 »

Right now my cats are hungry. He always buy little food for them (the cheap) and he said "Let them pass hunger".

My mom can't mostly shop for food with the money he gives. However, he eats expensive food like Salmon. Because god damnit HE has health problems.

We aren't poor. He just saves like 80% of his montly income because is HIS money and he'll use it for stuff HE wants. Or his beloved daughter, maybe!

lol ok

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:04:15 »

lol ok

I guess now we can say you probably had it easier.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:09:22 »
or maybe he doesnt have daddy issues

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:11:10 »

lol ok

Wow, I don't support you whining because you don't get everything your whims want and you claim I had it easy.  Maybe read a book instead of QQ about not having 6 keyboards.

I started paying for everything but rent and half my food the day I turned 14.  That means if I wanted clothes, toys, electronics, a calculator for school or anything but bare necessities, I had to work a job for it.  While going to school full time.  My earned money was also put into a shared account and my purchases scrutinized to ensure I knew how to budget when the time came.

Rent and 100% of food responsibility the summer after I graduated high school.

Now I can say with confidence that I run my own successful business, support myself and am generally well off and secure because of the "hard" lessons my dad taught me as a teen.

or maybe he doesnt have daddy issues

And there's that.  I respected the man enough to understand he was being tough on me for a reason.  But then, I didn't have the internet to run off to and try to use big words to make him a bad guy
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:12:44 by tjcaustin »

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:12:45 »

lol ok

Wow, I don't support you whining because you don't get everything your whims want and you claim I had it easy.  Maybe read a book instead of QQ about not having 6 keyboards.

I started paying for everything but rent and half my food the day I turned 14.  That means if I wanted clothes, toys, electronics, a calculator for school or anything but bare necessities, I had to work a job for it.  While going to school full time.  My earned money was also put into a shared account and my purchases scrutinized to ensure I knew how to budget when the time came.

Now I can say with confidence that I run my own successful business, support myself and am generally well off and secure because of the "hard" lessons my dad taught me as a teen.

lol ok

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:14:46 »
no wonder your father hates you

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:15:04 »

lol ok

lol ok

Ok champ, you just keep on *****ing about how tough your life is on the computer someone else paid for, using the electricity and internet connection someone else provided for you in the room you didn't have to buy or build.

I'm sure life will teach you a lot.

Offline pasph

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:18:00 »
Your dad had a heart attack, now do what you want but just don't do something you have to regret for your whole life, especially for a 20 dollars keyboard.
Do yourself this favor.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:20:44 »

lol ok

lol ok

Ok champ, you just keep on *****ing about how tough your life is on the computer someone else paid for, using the electricity and internet connection someone else provided for you in the room you didn't have to buy or build.

You should understand that not everybody is like you. Its normally common that a underage boy uses a computer that I actually paid and built myself, the electricity and internet connection on a room who didn't build.

However, I see how wanting to buy a $20 mechanical keyboard with my own money isn't a problem for other users in this forum.
You sure had time to play Warcraft, didn't you? Let's prejudge, just like you do.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:22:01 »
Your dad had a heart attack, now do what you want but just don't do something you have to regret for your whole life, especially for a 20 dollars keyboard.
Do yourself this favor.

This is not that serious matter. I could, however, do or mostly don't do things that surely will regret now and then.
Thanks for the advice.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:27:28 »

lol ok

lol ok

You should understand that not everybody is like you. Its normally common that a underage boy uses a computer that I actually paid and built myself, the electricity and internet connection on a room who didn't build.

However, I see how wanting to buy a $20 mechanical keyboard with my own money isn't a problem for other users in this forum.
You sure had time to play Warcraft, didn't you? Let's prejudge, just like you do.

And where are those "underage boys" when it comes time to support themselves?  Oh right, they're starving or struggling because they spent their money on things they wanted instead of needed.  Learn a lesson for once, you unappreciative child.

There ain't no prejudging when I call you a brat because you can't have a sixth keyboard just because you want it.

The way I see it, you have one person telling you to spend your money even though your dad is telling you not to and everyone else is saying "respect your dad and stop being a child"

Do yourself this favor.

This is not that serious matter. I could, however, do or mostly don't do things that surely will regret now and then.
Thanks for the advice.

Heart attacks aren't serious, huh?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:28:13 »
dude.......

are you prohibited from buying the keyboard? if not then.....

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:29:39 »

lol ok

lol ok

And where are those "underage boys" when it comes time to support themselves?  Oh right, they're starving or struggling because they spent their money on things they wanted instead of needed.  Learn a lesson for once, you unappreciative child.

There ain't no prejudging when I call you a brat because you can't have a sixth keyboard just because you want it.

The way I see it, you have one person telling you to spend your money even though your dad is telling you not to and everyone else is saying "respect your dad and stop being a child"

Do yourself this favor.

Thanks for the advice.

Heart attacks aren't serious, huh?

What I meant is me buying a keyboard won't give him a heart attack.
Buying a $20 keyboard is not a serious matter to give a person a heart attack.

The lack of compression.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:32:12 »
Do yourself this favor.

Thanks for the advice.

wow wtf, everyone here can say that a heart attack is ****ing serious, it's your body firing a warning shot, and there will not be another, christ now you gotta stop being a little emo ***** and just progress towards the path to being a man. no one will take your side in this issue, trust me, you'll get more posts saying your a dumb emo teen, than supporting you.

the ones that will support you, are... whiney emo teens.

instead of shrugging off the fact that ppl are against your young thought process (and being emo), think about why instead, that will help you grow.

and ****ing hug your dad and say "i'm ****ing sorry", christ.

heart attack not serious my ass.

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:34:52 »
Did you read my reply?

My english may be not perfectly good.
Learned it myself from songs and games. Very little from the poor english level on school.

I never meant a heart attack is not serious.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:42:54 »

No-- that's not how it works.  Your parents spent the equivalent of 100s of 1000s of USD raising you.  You are crying entitlement, but you don't consider what it is you are entitled to.  At the most you are entitled to shelter and food, and anything else is a bonus.  Does he beat you senseless or starve you?  That's really all he has to ensure you live without.  Why not tell him that you complained about living with him on the internet and you even got some sympathy from some of the strangers.  I'm pretty sure he'll have more to say than his opinion of your hobby.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:50:08 »

No-- that's not how it works.  Your parents spent the equivalent of 100s of 1000s of USD raising you.  You are crying entitlement, but you don't consider what it is you are entitled to.  At the most you are entitled to shelter and food, and anything else is a bonus.  Does he beat you senseless or starve you?  That's really all he has to ensure you live without.  Why not tell him that you complained about living with him on the internet and you even got some sympathy from some of the strangers.  I'm pretty sure he'll have more to say than his opinion of your hobby.

He beated me up a couple of times when I was younger, almost everytime because he has a obviously superior opinion than me.
One time I just wanted to have time alone. So I locked my room door. He started hitting it with his bare hands (Cracks on the wall appeared) went to the backyard and break the window's glass with his bare hand.

Maybe I'm just being emo because I can't get another keyboard.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 17:58:52 »

He beated me up a couple of times when I was younger, almost everytime because he has a obviously superior opinion than me.
One time I just wanted to have time alone. So I locked my room door. He started hitting it with his bare hands (Cracks on the wall appeared) went to the backyard and break the window's glass with his bare hand.

was it to disciple you? that's how his generation did **** back then, if he was a stupid dumb **** drunk beating you up for fun, that's a different story, but if it was to teach you a lesson or disciple you, that's fine. and so what if he breaks HIS window cuz HIS kid locked himself in a room, in the house HE owns, he did that cuz a mans home is his castle, the freeloaders can't just do whatever they please.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 18:00:43 »
he's probably making it up so you can be on his side

Offline ianxblog

• no
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 18:06:06 »
he's probably making it up so you can be on his side

Stop trolling. Nobody's even paying attention to you.

was it to disciple you? that's how his generation did **** back then, if he was a stupid dumb **** drunk beating you up for fun, that's a different story, but if it was to teach you a lesson or disciple you, that's fine. and so what if he breaks HIS window cuz HIS kid locked himself in a room, in the house HE owns, he did that cuz a mans home is his castle, the freeloaders can't just do whatever they please.

Maybe. But I think you guys are being a bit possesive. Yeah, sure it's his house. But if you had a kid, you have a family to live inside it. You should support it, not break ""THEIR"" room's window.
Having a personal time locked in a room isn't like mounting a party on the house or something. That would be "do whatever they please".