Author Topic: Recommend a good acoustic guitar?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Recommend a good acoustic guitar?
« on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 22:58:46 »
Well, I've had a recent will to learn how to play the acoustic guitar, and I was wondering if there is any type of guitars that (Brand) would be above the rest? I'm going to teach my self and get a little help. I want to pick it up a bit more naturally otherwise.

Of course I don't have the largest budget in the world, but just lay down what ever you'd think would be nice.

Anymore questions just ask. Maybe there will be some guitar experts or people who play on this forum who will give some advice. :P

Offline chibishin

• sittin around all day listening to classical music
Re: Recommend a good acoustic guitar?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 16:32:38 »
If you're just learning, there's not a lot of point in dropping big cash on an instrument you may end up hating.

Ovation, Yamaha, Martin, Takamine and Taylor all make great guitars, but they tend to be pricier. You may benefit from a Fender or Epiphone, something cheaper, to start with. Those could easily be had for <$300 and have decent build quality and sound.

When you first start, your fingers are going to hate you. Your fingertips will get chewed up, and you'll probably bleed a bit until you develop callouses, so definitely bear that in mind. It'll probably be a good couple of months of casual playing before you get a good base going. Before playing, definitely take a couple of minutes and stretch your fingers out and do some finger exercises to warm up, like this. Like it says in the link, hand exercisers are pretty worthless, and could do more harm than good on your joints and ligaments, especially if you try to do too much when you're just starting out.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 12:36:17 »
I would worry less about brand and go for comfort first. Even if it's not as high quality or as good sounding as some other. Try to find one that has a shallower body, thinner neck and lower string tension so it's not so brutal to play until you build up your finger and hand muscles for it. Dean or Gibson/Epiphone might be some to try out as they do tend to be on the cheaper end. An acoustic/electric hybrid might be a way to go as well like an SST Studio. If you decide you enjoy it you can always trade it in and get a nicer one later.

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:14:24 »
I have a mid-tier Ovation (can't remember which model, I've had it for a long time - 13+ years) and prefer it over most other acoustics due to the thinner profile and parabolic shape of the bowl (back), which I find way more comfortable versus a hard edged acoustic that digs into your body.  Sounds great, is loud enough for me, no build/quality issues yet.

That said, I highly recommend visiting a guitar store and trying a few guitars to see what works for you.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:15:32 »
I'll head over to a guitar store once I get my job and have a little cash in my pocket and see what fits me the best guys. thanks for the answers!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:17:13 »
That said, I highly recommend visiting a guitar store and trying a few guitars to see what works for you.

I definitely agree with Dianoda. Go to a store and check out guitars that fit you well. I learned how to play guitar on an Alvarez guitar and it was way too big for me. I eventually learned how to hold it but it was always uncomfortable for me.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:45:22 »
In high end guitars I recommend Takamine, but Walden make some great instruments for the price and I suggest you give them a look.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 16:17:37 »
Don't spend over $500 on your first guitar. This is the advice I was given by several different people when I first started learning the bass.

The next piece, is get a brand that's basically a step down from its "parent" e.g. Epiphone, Fender. If you like that, and you like playing guitar, get the "daddy" version of that guitar, and do your thing.

I spent $200 on my first bass, and then $750 on my current one. Both of them are versions of the P-bass.

QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 04:32:18 »
Don't spend over $500 on your first guitar. This is the advice I was given by several different people when I first started learning the bass.

The next piece, is get a brand that's basically a step down from its "parent" e.g. Epiphone, Fender. If you like that, and you like playing guitar, get the "daddy" version of that guitar, and do your thing.

I spent $200 on my first bass, and then $750 on my current one. Both of them are versions of the P-bass.

First off... you have great taste in bass guitars ;) I love how a Precision sounds and fits in a mix.

I agree on the first item, don't overspend on your first guitar. My first was a Samick 12 string which cost around 400 South African Rand (around 130 US$ at the time), back in 1992 and it has served me well. I got a Walden after moving to Finland and leaving my old instruments in South Africa.

Problem is the "best" acoustic brands don't have child brands. Don't get a laminated top guitar, go for a solid top straight away. The tone is better and if you sound good, you'll want to play more and get more satisfaction from playing.

Seriously, give Walden a look. They feel and sound great and don't cost much. Quite like a "budget" Takamine.

Random thread about them: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172790

I have a D552 12-string and I love the playability and tone. It's essentially the 12-string version of this one:
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.