Author Topic: What do you do for a living?  (Read 21083 times)

Offline erricrice

What do you do for a living?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 10 August 2009, 13:07:04 »
Quote from: itlnstln;108644
How do you like ProTools?  I have never used it myself, but I have heard it makes recording a lot easier than the old days.

It's definitely designed well, everything's where it should be!  it does make things miles easier than when you had to edit everything in tape, god I'm glad I wasn't around for those days.  With Protools you can just cut off all the ambient noise by select-drag and delete.  Makes for much clearer sound.  One of many advantages, but we always go back to tape in the end(for the masters) and really only use protools for the storage, all the effects and such are on an analogue console(SSL 8000 G+ woot) and offboard gear.  Using the computer just makes everything sound so sterile....not a good thing for music cause it's all about creation not computerized perfection and accuracy!!
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mañana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline afton

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 10 August 2009, 13:58:28 »
Quote from: InSanCen;108477
Work won't let me serve people in the Keyboard section... I hate all of the ones we sell.

Why don't you suggest to management to start selling mechanicals?
using: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless MX Brown switch

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 10 August 2009, 14:01:59 »
Quote from: erricrice;108649
Using the computer just makes everything sound so sterile....not a good thing for music cause it's all about creation not computerized perfection and accuracy!!

Which would precisely be one of my complaints with current pop music. Excessive (rather than creative) use of Auto-Tune merely makes voices sound mechanical, and compressing the dynamic range to within 3 dB may be an interesting exercise but usually doesn't make for something one would want to listen to in the long term.

I'd say these days people like to throw compression and effects at things without thinking about it. 25 years ago you had to have some good folks in the studio to achieve a good, "punchy" sound, and any technical help was welcome. Today you can do anything but the art is picking the right amount of the right things. In the end it's the humans that count, not the technology.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline erricrice

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 10 August 2009, 14:20:22 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;108669
Which would precisely be one of my complaints with current pop music. Excessive (rather than creative) use of Auto-Tune merely makes voices sound mechanical, and compressing the dynamic range to within 3 dB may be an interesting exercise but usually doesn't make for something one would want to listen to in the long term.

I'd say these days people like to throw compression and effects at things without thinking about it. 25 years ago you had to have some good folks in the studio to achieve a good, "punchy" sound, and any technical help was welcome. Today you can do anything but the art is picking the right amount of the right things. In the end it's the humans that count, not the technology.

exactly!
We use plenty of effects to make it sound professional, but still leave the original sound intact
error isn't always a bad thing, it's what makes us human, which is what people want to hear when listening to musc(or I think so anyway).  Not necessarily just error(no one wants to hear someone singing off tune and pay money for it), but making it perfect when it originally is not just removes the human element which makes it interesting.  Now the artist being perfect in the first place is not the same thing, this is just someone who is really good at what they do which is awesome, but even then it never sounds mechanical.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 August 2009, 14:22:28 by erricrice »
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mañana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline justin

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 26 August 2009, 14:00:19 »
I'm a front-end web designer who also does graphic design & photography. I do some coding, some writing, blogging, etc. as well. :)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 26 August 2009, 15:18:02 »
Mechanic in the Industry -> Lathing, milling, drilling, grinding, sawing, welding, brazing, CNC programming, repairing, much more...

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 27 August 2009, 19:51:01 »
Quote from: afton;108666
Why don't you suggest to management to start selling mechanicals?

£50+ for a Keyboard?

Management would need pacemakers all round if I suggested that...

Besides, I'm a small fish in a big pool (160+ shops and counting). Maybe after a few promotions.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline cmr

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 27 August 2009, 23:03:58 »
I administer Linux and Unix boxes for an academic library. Unfortunately this means a lot of house calls to folks with Dell Crapmasters. But thankfully my coworkers will tolerate all manner of keyboard clatter from my cubicle -- the only comment I've gotten was that my M10 was quieter than the AT-101W I was using during one of the periods during which the Scorpius had a desoldered keyswitch.

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 00:04:04 »
Wow, I'm a real minority here.  I'm a pathology lab assistant.  I pick up body parts from one doctor and bring them to another...  But I do get to log them into the computer.

--I also kill super mutants.

Offline nvarsj

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 08:22:50 »
I'm a programmer. I work at a small company in downtown Chicago, in a certain infamous industry.

Best of all, I get to use Linux at work. Although I can't say the same about my blue cherries.
HHKB2

Offline Clicky Kat

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 15:46:28 »
I'm a Japanese to English translator, mostly technical stuff. I'm also the resident technogeek at the company. I diddle and dabble in photography, web design and gaming.

I lived in Japan for seven years, but in an unenlightened state. I didn't know about the joys of a truly good board until I returned to the US. Oh well, I was pretty poor in Japan and wouldn't have been able to afford those sexy boards anyway.

PS
Hey shortround, nice avatar. I practically lived in Fallout 3 for a month. Amazing game. Have you played the DLC?

Offline cherrybomb

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 21:04:33 »
Patent attorney specializing in software technology.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 21:29:17 »
Quote from: cherrybomb;114916
Patent attorney specializing in software technology.

this'll sound crazy but i always wanted to be a patent lawyer, lol.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline cherrybomb

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 22:00:39 »
IMO, it is one of the better jobs out there.  I'm in Silicon Valley, and get to work with some of the smartest engineers in the world, and learn about the best technology a few years before everyone else.  If you love to write, learn about new technology and argue with the people who work at the Patent and Trademark Office, then this is the job for you.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 22:01:55 »
Quote from: cherrybomb;114939
IMO, it is one of the better jobs out there.  I'm in Silicon Valley, and get to work with some of the smartest engineers in the world, and learn about the best technology a few years before everyone else.  If you love to write, learn about new technology and argue with the people who work at the Patent and Trademark Office, then this is the job for you.

did you have a tech background yourself?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline cherrybomb

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 22:08:33 »
Sure.  I have two different engineering degrees, and I worked as a programmer for a few years.  I got bored with that and decided to go to law school.  Best decision I've made.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 22:16:38 »
Quote from: cherrybomb;114942
Sure.  I have two different engineering degrees, and I worked as a programmer for a few years.  I got bored with that and decided to go to law school.  Best decision I've made.

I got bored with engineering and went back to the humanities in grad school :)  Mixed results :) Best personal decision I ever made. As for career, that is to be determined.
I always liked law though. Took a business law class in college and loved it. For a long time patent law was my backup plan in my escape from engineering, as it is for most engineers looking for a change, I think. Its either that or an MBA usually. I made the leap back into the humanities, which was interesting and different.

Offline cherrybomb

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 22:27:20 »
Quote from: wellington1869;114943
I got bored with engineering and went back to the humanities in grad school :)  Mixed results :) Best personal decision I ever made. As for career, that is to be determined.
I always liked law though. Took a business law class in college and loved it. For a long time patent law was my backup plan in my escape from engineering, as it is for most engineers looking for a change, I think. Its either that or an MBA usually. I made the leap back into the humanities, which was interesting and different.

"Interesting and different" indeed!  From engineering to humanities is big 180.  I bet that was fun.  If you ever decide to consider law school again, I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you about this via private email.  Its a fulfilling experience, and, if you have a background in CS, EE or something like that, you'll basically have job security for life.  And if you happen to also be fluent in Mandarin, then you'll probably wind up being the defacto ruler of the universe.  ;-)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 23:33:17 »
Quote from: cherrybomb;114946
"Interesting and different" indeed!  From engineering to humanities is big 180.  I bet that was fun.  If you ever decide to consider law school again, I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you about this via private email.  Its a fulfilling experience, and, if you have a background in CS, EE or something like that, you'll basically have job security for life.  And if you happen to also be fluent in Mandarin, then you'll probably wind up being the defacto ruler of the universe.  ;-)

lol, thanks. Probably a phd is enough grad school for now though ;) Though I guess law school is always an option that is out there, only 2 years or so of school. Lets see if I can keep a roof over my head as a teacher first, lol.
Ya, I did EE. Dont know mandarin, unfortunately. :) Would have been nice to rule the universe ;)  "A fukka on every desk". :) I"d make the scan-rates run on time. :)

it was definitely a fun 180. loved every minute of it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2009, 23:35:52 by wellington1869 »

Offline Hofy

• Voids Warranties
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 14:20:46 »
I am an engineer.  Not the kind most of you are around here.  I rattle iMav's windows when I go through Columbus.  (That probably just got me banned.) :eek:

I am also a former system and network designer/installer.
Poker II Cherry MX Blue
Filco TenKeyless Zero Fukka
Cherry ML4100
IBM Model M 1391401 Buckle Spring Luvin

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 14:23:18 »
Quote from: Hofy;115096
I am an engineer.  Not the kind most of you are around here.  I rattle iMav's windows when I go through Columbus.  (That probably just got me banned.) :eek:

Show Image

I am also a former system and network designer/installer.

wow, the cool kind of engineer :)

Offline joniho

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 17:49:30 »
Quote from: Clicky Kat;114858
I'm a Japanese to English translator, mostly technical stuff. I'm also the resident technogeek at the company. I diddle and dabble in photography, web design and gaming.

I lived in Japan for seven years, but in an unenlightened state. I didn't know about the joys of a truly good board until I returned to the US. Oh well, I was pretty poor in Japan and wouldn't have been able to afford those sexy boards anyway.

Oh! I'm a Japanese student in college and will be applying to the JET Program to teach English in Japan in 2011 (I would in 2010 but I technically graduate after their graduation deadline). どうぞよろしく!

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 02:46:45 »
I am an artist, and these are the common things I do for a living-

SFX model maker, Sculptor, Instructor, Photographer, Illustrator, and mold maker.

From concept to creation to production.

I have no life outside of this...

where am I...? :S

...and fine art sculpture, but who makes a living doing that? haahaa =P
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2009, 02:48:06 by clickclack »
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 13:05:44 »
I write systems software in assembler on z/OS. Hard to believe, but there are still a few of us doing it. It's actually the best and most appropriate language for the job since z/OS is an assembler machine.

I used to actually get paid to write object code and I preferred that in some ways but not many jobs are left doing that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2009, 02:00:07 by ironcoder »
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 22:54:09 »
Quote from: Hofy;115096

That won't get you banned.  We actually love hearing the trains roll through town (probably because we are far enough away from the tracks not too have our house shake).  :)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 01:16:01 »
Quote from: iMav;115424
That won't get you banned.  We actually love hearing the trains roll through town (probably because we are far enough away from the tracks not too have our house shake).  :)

Is it odd that all the high-tech workers are saying "Wow cool" to the locomotive driver?  (Incl. web-developer here)

We never outgrew our picture books of big trucks and locomotives.

That an AC4400CW or an AC6000CW?  I'm leaning towards the latter, but my Diesel Spotter's Guide is in pieces.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 01:40:19 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;116895
Is it odd that all the high-tech workers are saying "Wow cool" to the locomotive driver?  (Incl. web-developer here)

My dad just reminded me tonight that I wanted to be a garbage truck driver when I grew up.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Hofy

• Voids Warranties
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 07:36:53 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;116895

We never outgrew our picture books of big trucks and locomotives.

That an AC4400CW or an AC6000CW?  I'm leaning towards the latter, but my Diesel Spotter's Guide is in pieces.

AC4400 , CP has no AC6000.
Poker II Cherry MX Blue
Filco TenKeyless Zero Fukka
Cherry ML4100
IBM Model M 1391401 Buckle Spring Luvin

Offline roaduck

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 26 September 2009, 01:41:57 »
I am / was a travelling salesman doing 35,000 miles a year doing essential oil brokerage and some long-term contracts because I'm a phytopharmacologist but the market has contracted immeasurably here in the UK thanks to competition from abroad and trading conditions are both sporadic and uncertain.

My back up jobs are as a travelling aromatherapist selling volatile oils but online and pharmacy sales have virtually priced me out of the market because I am basically in a luxury service niche.

My other 'vocation' is hot water extraction carpet-cleaning and that is dying a death now as well because there's so much less through put.

I hate carpet-cleaning because It's a very physically demanding job, but as one can earn upto £700 to £1000+ a day, I only have to work a handful of days a month to keep my head above water ( pun intended .)
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 September 2009, 02:04:32 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline d2v

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 26 September 2009, 02:17:06 »
I am a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) engineer. Work for a big american MNC here in India.
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline cmr

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 03:20:37 »
i got laid off a couple of weeks ago! so i am not going to be buying any new keyboards in the near future.

and i cancelled the cable service! so i can't post much until i get that sorted out.

and i'm moving! tomorrow. but none of my keyboards are for sale. it's not that dire. yet. i threw away the capacitive keytronic because it is trash and is not worth bringing along to my new place.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 07:56:33 »
Sorry to hear that, cmr.  I hope things turn around for you quickly.

Offline rdh

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 10:27:27 »
Quote from: cmr;123361
i threw away the capacitive keytronic because it is trash and is not worth bringing along to my new place.

"Trash" is pretty subjective, especially in a group of collectors.

On the one hand, I would like better rubber sleeves for my ancient Key Tronic board, but on the other, I can't see that yours'd be significantly newer, so I wouldn't be willing to pay a whole lot.  I probably would have paid shipping to get your board... which still may not have made it worth your time.  :-)

Hope you find a new job soon!
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline texteur

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 11:29:48 »
I'm new on this forum and I thank the founders for such a great idea!

First of all, I'd like to apologize for the way I write English: as you can guess, it's not my native language. My mother tongue is French (but I'm not French, I'm Swiss).

Originally, I'm an orientalist, specialized in Sanskrit (ancient Indian) language. After my master, I worked in an advertising agency as copywriter. I left the job and, as I coded for fun since I was 10 years old (I started with Basic, Cobol and dBase on an IBM model 5150), and as I used to code in PHP and JavaScript for my own websites, I've decided to become freelance web developer. But I'm still earning money with copywriting and proof-reading (in French, naturally).
IBM Model M Space Saver, 1391472, PS/2, US layout, year 1987 | Apple Standard Keyboard, M0118, ADB, Swiss French layout, year 1987 | IBM Model M, 1391401, PS/2, US layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M Space Saver, 1392934, PS/2, US layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M, 1391403, PS/2, German layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M, 1391403, PS/2, German layout, year 1991 | Apple Extended Keyboard II, M3501, ADB, ANSI layout, year 1995 | DSI Switch Mac Keyboard, SMK-88SMK88-EM/JM, Black Cherry Switches, USB 1.1 & 2.0, ANSI layout, year 2006 | Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, white with blank keycaps, PD-KB400WN, Topre 45g switches, USB, UNIX key layout, year 2007 | Das Keyboard Ultimate, DASK3, USB, European layout, year 2008 | Topre Realforce 86U, SE0500, USB, ANSI layout, ergonomically weighted switches, year 2009 | Topre Realforce 87UB, SE1700, USB, ANSI layout, ergonomically weighted switches, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch "Otaku", FKBN104MC/NPEK, Blue Cherry MX switches, USB, ANSI layout, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch, FKBN87M/EB, Brown Cherry MX Switches, USB, 87 Key ANSI layout, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch Ten Key Extended Keypad, FKB22MB, Brown Cherry MX Switches, USB, year 2009
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 11:52:34 »
For those that don't know, I'm also a web developer.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline hacfed

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 20:28:42 »
Sound engineer. Video editor. AV Technician. Now Comp Sci student.

I have no idea what I want to do, but it's not mixing bands and abusing my ears, carrying gear, crawling through roofspaces pulling cable, trying to cover up poor camera work or running AV at stuffy conferences. I'm not entirely sure that I don't want to be a programmer, but I strongly suspect that I don't. Network security appeals because criminals are getting smart, companies are getting scared...and I want to make a lot of money ;)

Oh, and I should say that I have been self-employed for the past 10 years, which is all of my working life. Hooray!

When I was younger I wanted to be a JCB digger driver and I think I still do, to some extent.

I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 13:14:17 »
And if you're like the city workers we have around here, you won't even have to work.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 17:40:26 »
I work in the IT department at a school. I'll tell you guys right now--A place with a bunch of kids who use computers is Computer Hell. You should see what kids do to those poor things...
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 07:29:46 »
Quote from: ripster;130274
Hey Microsoft Windows - I'm gonna stop hassling you about the vintage thing. Teachers get my respect for the job they do.

Tell me about it.  I wanted to be a teacher after college (I have a B.A. in History with a minor in Classical Civilizations), but they didn't want liberal arts majors at the time (they fill those roles with coaches around here), so I chose the career path I'm on now.  My GF is a 6th grade math teacher, and she comes home and tells me some of the horror stories she has to deal with daily, and while I would still find the job much more rewarding than my current job and I would still want the time off, occasionally, I think I would rather deal with the childrent at my current employment.

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 07:47:17 »
Yeah but if you took the teaching job you could use those baseball bats you like so much.

So many juvenile delinquents, so little time...
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 08:01:17 »
Quote from: ironcoder;130314
So many juvenile delinquents, so little time...

In San Antonio, you're not kidding.  I used to play baseball, so maybe I could be a coach.  Then, I would have a good reason to carry around a bat.  I used to have a principal when I lived in Illinois (his name was Mr. Votrain, we used to call him Mr. Voltron) that carried around a 9 iron.  We used to think he would hit kids with it.  I remember one time he was practicing his golf swing in a hallway, and he took out an Exit sign.  It was pretty funny.

Offline MFGorilla

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 21:12:33 »
Train Dispatcher.  My job is to keep commuter trains from hitting things.
"I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"

Using Now: Unicomp Spacesaver (black/grey) | IBM Model M 1391401 White Label| IBM Model M 1394946 by Lexmark
[COMMENT]On The Way: IBM Model M Industrial[/COMMENT]
Wish list: Filco Majestouch tenless with Blue Cherries | Matias Tactile Pro 3 | IBM Model M Space Saver
In Storage: IBM M2, DELL bluetooth wireless

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 05 November 2009, 06:14:59 »
Quote from: MFGorilla;130443
Train Dispatcher.  My job is to keep commuter trains from hitting things.

Remind me never to distract you.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Gingerbread

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 14 November 2009, 11:36:57 »
It's my first post, so be gentle.

I'm a 'Performance Engineer' at Symantec here in the UK. You know, the people who make Norton Anti-virus.

No, I don't make Norton Anti-virus.

Came across this site when researching a new keyboard to buy...and ending up buying 3 of them, with my eye on a fourth. My wallet hates you all.

On the other hand (both?), I'm sure my fingers will be eternally grateful (none of the mechanical keyboards have arrived yet :\ .)

Offline Gingerbread

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 14 November 2009, 12:01:12 »
Will do :)

The first of the keyboards that I bought was a (non-mechanical) Enermax Aurora. It's a scissor-switch keyboard (laptop style) that I can use for work if the others turn out to be too loud (it's an open style office).

I then splashed out on getting a Unicomp SpaceSaver shipped over from the USA ($55 for shipping, ouch) which should be arriving sometime this week. Finally, there's a Cherry G80-3000(insert letters I can't remember here). I'll write up my experiences with both when I get them.

I'm also looking at a Filco. There's a few problems with this, though. First off, they just started selling in the UK at The Keyboard Company (strangely enough). However, they still only have a US layout. They also sell them at a price which converts to $185.5, which is a bit steep - I could have the same one shipped over from the states for less than that! I also would think I'd want a tenkeyless brown / blue switch one, which they don't have stock of yet :\.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 14 November 2009, 19:52:21 »
I work in the IT department at a school and spend large portions of the day on the Geekhack Forum.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 15 November 2009, 15:40:48 »
Quote from: Gingerbread;132422
I'm a 'Performance Engineer' at Symantec here in the UK. You know, the people who make Norton Anti-virus.

Ugh... Burn it!

No, I don't make Norton Anti-virus.

Let you off this time ;-) Ghost by any chance? If so, good job. The sole "consumer" product from Symantec to be worthwhile.

My wallet hates you all.

All of our Collective Wallets hate this site, as I suspect do our Significant others (Mine certainly does, after breaking the news that I am buying another board, this time from Germany).
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline Gingerbread

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 15 November 2009, 15:50:57 »
Quote from: InSanCen;132717

Let you off this time ;-) Ghost by any chance? If so, good job. The sole "consumer" product from Symantec to be worthwhile.

Actually, Enterprise Vault. Unless you've had a need or worked with a company who has had a need to archive files / e-mails you probably haven't heard of it. It's not a "consumer" product :P

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 15 November 2009, 15:55:46 »
Quote from: Gingerbread;132718
Actually, Enterprise Vault. Unless you've had a need or worked with a company who has had a need to archive files / e-mails you probably haven't heard of it. It's not a "consumer" product :P

Heard of it, but never used it. Most of Symantec's Commercial orientated products are OK. The AV is actually quite good. But I still reserve the right to paste Norton AV every now and again ;-)
:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 15 November 2009, 16:12:59 »
I'd rather sweep streets than teach in a high school. That's no exaggeration...

However, they still only have a US layout.

Just about every European Geekhacker ends up switching over to the US layout sooner or later. I kind of want to break my Thinkpad's keyboard so that I can get a US layout one for it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2009, 16:15:39 by ch_123 »