Author Topic: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH - Updates, Poll Results  (Read 71668 times)

Offline tintoret

[IC] GMK AZiMUTH - Updates, Poll Results
« on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 15:29:54 »

Update 3/26/2017
  • Results of the poll favored top-printing to keep the look of the original, by about 2:1.
  • Made some updates to the kit and added an escape pack. Looking forward feedback.
  • If there is still enough interest in the set, it's probably about time to look into running it...

GMK ColorsBase ColorDouble-ShotPad Printed
AlphanumericN9CPN6 / TU2 / P3
Function KeysCCCP
ModifiersN9N6 / TU2 / P3
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 March 2017, 18:54:00 by tintoret »

Offline weifanwang

Re: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 15:43:05 »
nice

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 16:57:52 »
Will the R4 ISO alpha key be blank?

I'd prefer any legend on it instead of none. Otherwise it will stick out...

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 17:33:56 »
Does GMK do triple-shot legends like that?

EDIT: Oh I see, printed.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 17:55:02 »
Nice, have added to the GMK Database

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 18:20:38 »
Will the those printed legends on the alphas be side-printed, or top-printed? Personally I think they would look much better side printed.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 18:40:52 »

That totally depends on what people want. I went with the blank out of convention.

Will the those printed legends on the alphas be side-printed, or top-printed? Personally I think they would look much better side printed.

They'll be top-printed like they are here:

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 19:17:46 »
Looks really nice, two suggestions

1. I think an escape pack with each of the sublegends colours would be popular
2. I must advocate an 1800 kit or at least 1u + and - key to partially support it   :thumb:

other than that I think it looks great.

Offline xiaodian317

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 19:34:38 »
Is the mechanical keyboard of NASA for MX?

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 22:29:35 »
Maybe make the number row the light colored row to appeal to the 60% users out there?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 00:48:43 »
the numpad looks really really beautiful, would buy a set if this turn into gb and the price is under $200 for full set.

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 00:56:56 »
Looks cool to me, I am gonna follow this for sure.

Offline GooNyang

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 17:13:57 »
Looks amazing! but I think I will like keycaps in white with legends. Im interested! Are all legends printed? no doubleshot?

Offline dadoduk

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 23:23:01 »
It's great!!  hurry up!!

Offline lolpes

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 02:48:59 »
Honestly? the set does look good, but I think people need to be presenting more creative color schemes for GMK, like Nub's skeletor. This is the reason why GMK sets have been failing and I think I would like to see a colorfull creative color scheme. Just my 2 cents and hope I am not to much offtopic here,  the set does look great although much of it can be replicate with existing set, besides the pad printed legends, although for me those count as 0.

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 05:29:34 »
I so want this. After the failure of Royal and SNES I need this!
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline Dee1

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 08:32:54 »
I quite like the look of this one! Hope it all comes together soon. :)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 11:09:21 »
I like how it looks I am just concerned with MOQ, this set really has to be on point and attract a lot of interest With so many GMK buys still on going, I doubt people have more money they are able to set aside and tie up into a group buy. I mean right now I have over $500 between 3 buys.. I would make it one kit, regardless of price. That way you only need to sell 150 kit total.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 15:19:42 »
Honestly? the set does look good, but I think people need to be presenting more creative color schemes for GMK, like Nub's skeletor. This is the reason why GMK sets have been failing and I think I would like to see a colorfull creative color scheme. Just my 2 cents and hope I am not to much offtopic here,  the set does look great although much of it can be replicate with existing set, besides the pad printed legends, although for me those count as 0.

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I think the creative color schemes like Skeletor are awesome, but there is also something to be said about how GMK production (especially the profile) lends itself really well to recreation or reinterpretation of classic designs. This might be part of the reason that even colorful GMK designs tend to play it safe in other ways, focusing on color as a contrast to white, beige, grey, or black.

I like how it looks I am just concerned with MOQ, this set really has to be on point and attract a lot of interest With so many GMK buys still on going, I doubt people have more money they are able to set aside and tie up into a group buy. I mean right now I have over $500 between 3 buys.. I would make it one kit, regardless of price. That way you only need to sell 150 kit total.

I think this is also a really good point. When and how it is run will be seriously contingent on what the buy environment is like when the design reaches that point. Optimizing the kits to make sure they can be minimal enough to make MOQ is a top priority at the moment.

Offline Prankk

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 14:49:19 »
This is pretty slick!!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 19:02:28 »
i'm thinking this will look perfect on a black Mira

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 09:58:54 »
After seeing the mockup for a few minutes each detail of the design adds as another reason to get this set, while thinking, well it should have this, I found the feature included and felt like I have to get it. Congratulations! the design rocks!. Now our keyboards may be reminiscent of the space exploration.

One minor suggestion, that is more aspirational than an actual need, is a 1u Alt or Alt Gr key; otherwise, if you want to provide support for 1800 you will need all the modifiers in 1u; however, the priority is to keep its price low to get as many interested parties as possible, turning into buyers.

Take my money!

Offline AgentZen

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 01:41:15 »
Pretty neat. Love the colors.
KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (GMK Hyperfuse) | Working on: Custom 60% w/ 65g feelios (BSP blanks)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 09:02:38 »
A lesson learned with a recent drop for a GMK set with pad printed legends was that their use on a key cap set design is controversial and a reason to complain and to not get into the buy; people that are accustomed to the cheap pad printing used in stock key cap sets think that GMK pad printing will run off quickly, as quickly as those cheap sets printing. My experience with OG Cherry is that they last for ages with no signs of wear, but I cannot say that the same applies to GMK. This is one important point, no one has long time experience with GMK pad printing to offer witness testimony on its longevity. Considering this you may try to quote side printing, that may rule this out as a potential issue and another reason for people not to get into the buy. Besides, having these legends side pad printed would be a first and it could make this one a very special set on its own right, a set that will be a legend. If the quotation is too high, you may re-consider the use of pad printing, because in an expensive set like this there is no room for the risk to have a worn off legend after few months.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 11:00:27 »
A lesson learned with a recent drop for a GMK set with pad printed legends was that their use on a key cap set design is controversial and a reason to complain and to not get into the buy; people that are accustomed to the cheap pad printing used in stock key cap sets think that GMK pad printing will run off quickly, as quickly as those cheap sets printing. My experience with OG Cherry is that they last for ages with no signs of wear, but I cannot say that the same applies to GMK. This is one important point, no one has long time experience with GMK pad printing to offer witness testimony on its longevity. Considering this you may try to quote side printing, that may rule this out as a potential issue and another reason for people not to get into the buy. Besides, having these legends side pad printed would be a first and it could make this one a very special set on its own right, a set that will be a legend. If the quotation is too high, you may re-consider the use of pad printing, because in an expensive set like this there is no room for the risk to have a worn off legend after few months.

I share your concerns about pad printing. We all know that it doesn't hold up very well on the budget cap sets, but how long lasting is GMK's pad printing process? I don't store my boards inside of display cases, I use them. I'm not going to pay a premium for any caps that can not stand up to daily use, no matter how attractive they are. Can anyone allay my fears about the pad printing process, as executed by GMK?

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 20:07:28 »
GMK could do triple-shot in technique, but lack of moulds.
IF this set is made in triple shot , it would be more popular. just my suggestion.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:46:42 »

I share your concerns about pad printing. We all know that it doesn't hold up very well on the budget cap sets, but how long lasting is GMK's pad printing process? I don't store my boards inside of display cases, I use them. I'm not going to pay a premium for any caps that can not stand up to daily use, no matter how attractive they are. Can anyone allay my fears about the pad printing process, as executed by GMK?

i would suggest you check out the electric bluegaloo thread. there were side-printed legends on some of those caps. incredibly good quality. i dont know if anyone can attest to the longevity of GMK's pad printing, but the legend quality is certainly some of the best in the world

Offline tintoret

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:09:03 »

Thanks, this is really valuable feedback. I have a pretty positive impression of the OG Cherry pad-prints, even when they begin to show some wear after the years. I think its similar to the character added by eventual shine or yellowing on good quality ABS. However, it would definitely be worthwhile to look into the longevity of GMK pad-prints as wearing off after not much use would be a bummer.

I'm inclined against front printing, as I think the subtlety would take away some of the set's character, but I could probably be convinced.

I also might play around with layouts that only have the primary legends, to see if I can come up with something that still captures the spirit of the original.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:34:56 »

i would suggest you check out the electric bluegaloo thread. there were side-printed legends on some of those caps. incredibly good quality. i dont know if anyone can attest to the longevity of GMK's pad printing, but the legend quality is certainly some of the best in the world

I'm not questioning how GMK's pad printed legends would look. I'm sure that they would be nothing short of beautiful.

Similarly, I wouldn't have any reservations about using pad printing for side-printed legends, since they would not be exposed to any meaningful wear in that position. As a matter of fact, I have some cheap side printed legends on a daily driver and after a year of abuse, they still look brand new. Using pad printing on a wear surface, however, is the open question in my mind. Some keysets notoriously show signs of wear after only a couple of weeks of daily use. If I had spent $19 for a set that wore quickly, I'd chalk it up to getting what I paid for. If, on the other hand, I paid $200 for a set that wore like that, I'd be extremely disappointed.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:13:25 »
Love the look, would be down for a set for sure!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:38:54 »
personally, i dont like the feel of pad-printed keys. feels like the keys have dirt and grime on them or something. i dont plan to use this set on a daily driver, but that being said, i would not want any of the aesthetics of the design to be compromised for any reason. This is probably one of the most interesting sets i am following right now

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:45:58 »
This is an example of a recent side pad printed key cap, the quality is great and being side printed means it would not get any wear. As someone wrote you may ask GMK if triple shot might be feasible, that may mean some additional tooling for legends at least, or even some molds, if the last are needed it may not be feasible at all due to a considerable investment, in any case, asking only would not do any harm.

I also like the secondary legends in the original set, if they are as good as OG Cherry's that would be very good, but the point here is not one's opinion, but how good the set is in the mind of most, in order for the set to reach MoQ.

Offline quantrix

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:16:20 »
This is a very unique set and I'd love to see it reach MOQ and be produced.

I think in the current state of the wider community there would be more interest going forward if the secondary legends were pad printed on the side.  It may not be exactly true to the original, but side-printing would look sharp with those colors and give people the longevity that is demanded nowadays.  From a design perspective, it literally opens a new dimension of text to the eyes, which would be an awesome color effect in my opinion.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 20:58:41 »
Definitely into it, so long as it's $175 for the full set after MOQ.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 21:00:24 »
very interesting look. hoping to see a render for it dou. would definately get a set if this happens
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 02:40:16 »
I like it  pls make it happen

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:18:53 »

That totally depends on what people want. I went with the blank out of convention.

This, I think that the row 4 key with these legends could be full double shot:

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:06:48 »
Posting for updates on this. :thumb:
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline tintoret

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:17:01 »

Finishing up some end of semester grading and writing, but will pick it back up soon! Hoping to finalize the design and get renders and price info during the summer.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:25:42 »

Finishing up some end of semester grading and writing, but will pick it back up soon! Hoping to finalize the design and get renders and price info during the summer.

Cool. Eagerly waiting for this to come into fruition

Offline dunglefinker

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 09:57:38 »
replying for updates, these are really cool and would finally rope a couple coworkers into this hobby of ours

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 15:43:17 »
Cool. Eagerly waiting for this to come into fruition
Ha Tintoret, don't worry. School and other real life stuff always comes first.
I was just replying so this thread shows up in my feed and I don't miss my chance when it goes to the GB stage. ;)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Mr.Lunchbox

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:22:24 »
Love this. Will definitely be supporting it when it comes to fruition.

Just one note: It might just be my screen or my eyes but to me it appears that the legends should be V2 and not N6. Its a little hard to tell what the actual color is on the NASA PGSC from the photos and I think ideally it would be somewhere between those two colors but to my eyes it looks like V2 is closer to the color you have in your rendering.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 21:55:12 »
Love this. Will definitely be supporting it when it comes to fruition.

Just one note: It might just be my screen or my eyes but to me it appears that the legends should be V2 and not N6. Its a little hard to tell what the actual color is on the NASA PGSC from the photos and I think ideally it would be somewhere between those two colors but to my eyes it looks like V2 is closer to the color you have in your rendering.

You may be right. KLE is a bit finicky for color accuracy. Although more of an amber would match the 1530, I went with the N6 because it seemed closer and is a dead ringer for the yellow on the first generation Compass. It would also avoid just reproducing the V2 on N9 from SkiData+.

How could anyone not love this?
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 22:58:59 »
Wow! what a render.

Any chance to have an accented yellow/orange ISO Enter key like the ANSI Enter included?

Offline tintoret

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 23:32:44 »
Wow! what a render.

Any chance to have an accented yellow/orange ISO Enter key like the ANSI Enter included?

Seriously though, I'll definitely throw in another ISO enter if the demand is high enough. Otherwise got to keep the extras to a minimum.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 23:48:51 »
if it's massdrop I'm down
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Mr.Lunchbox

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:14:20 »

You may be right. KLE is a bit finicky for color accuracy. Although more of an amber would match the 1530, I went with the N6 because it seemed closer and is a dead ringer for the yellow on the first generation Compass. It would also avoid just reproducing the V2 on N9 from SkiData+.

How could anyone not love this?
More
Show Image

Looking at this photo

You were totally right with picking N6. Cheers. Carry on.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH - Printing Poll Added
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 17:03:29 »
oh, that is much more yellow than orange. i forgot how inaccurate GMK renders are.

not to go against the spirit of this design, but i'm just gonna throw this out there... i think it might look better with V2 and N5 than N6 and UN6037
More

edit - nope, nvm. i already disagree with my statement
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2016, 17:05:54 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline cirrus82

Re: [IC] GMK AZiMUTH - Printing Poll Added
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 20:40:50 »
Voted. Really excited about this one. Awesome looking set.