Author Topic: Mini Keyboard with Trackpoint  (Read 377335 times)

Offline v193r

Mini Keyboard with Trackpoint
« Reply #700 on: Sat, 15 January 2011, 00:05:49 »
the world is on one man's shoulders: lowpoly.
We all want your gift to mankind. are we not worthy?
Srsly, id really like a fully programmable keyboard, with are compact layout, pointing stick and cherry browns or reds.

Offline cyclonechuah

« Reply #701 on: Sat, 15 January 2011, 11:14:23 »
hello, lowpoly. i would definately love to purchase one of those lovely miniguru keyboard. As long as if it's affordable by me. =)

For my opinion.
- Cherry MX switch, i don't really care about which color, but as long as all MX switch are available us, it is better right? I personally would like Cherry MX Red or Black thou.
- US Layout would be better for majority.
- For Pointing Stick, i don't really care for this thou, but extra functions is better than none, thou i hope this won't increase the price too much.

Personally i don't really understand Soldering, If i choose No Soldering, does that means the keyboard will comes with all parts Soldered without the need for us to solder the keyboard ourselves?

Prefer the keyboard to comes in completed so we can use directly, and then think about DIY the keyboard and add on the other stuff ourselves.

Offline rickysio

« Reply #702 on: Sat, 15 January 2011, 12:22:51 »
Going to be very interested... ;)

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #703 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 11:13:39 »
Just spent the last 2 hours reading all 51 pages.

I'm in for one, no matter the price.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #704 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 11:17:38 »
I'm sure that I'll probably bite.

Offline raeb

« Reply #705 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 22:19:26 »
I've stalked this forum without an account for far too long.  I created one today, just so I may say that I'm in.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #706 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 06:05:40 »
Quote from: raeb;280175
I've stalked this forum without an account for far too long.  I created one today, just so I may say that I'm in.

Nice, lol. Welcome to GeekHack!

Edit: Hmm I might be interested. Will the soldering be done for us if we pay extra?
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 January 2011, 06:11:22 by keyboardlover »

Offline hemflit

« Reply #707 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 10:57:22 »
Just chiming in with another "I only found out about this forum through news about this keyboard". I'm so happy to see it rise again.

In all honesty, I'm a cheap bastard and given how the future looks right now, the kit will probably be beyond my budget. But just knowing that this insanely cool project has been led to completion will make me giddy with happiness.

Just as a point of curiosity, have you considered putting in two trackpoints? Say, one between H-J-N and and the other between F-G-V? One for pointing, the other for scrolling (or whatever the software maps axes 3 and 4 to).

Good luck!

Offline raeb

« Reply #708 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 12:51:44 »
Thanks keyboardlover  :)

Also, if it makes a difference I wouldn't mind soldering!  I get myself into enough trouble tearing things apart anyways.

hemflit, this may/may not help but if you don't want to leave the keyboard for scrolling then at least for web browsers you can get keyboard bindings so you may navigate pages without leaving the home row.  I currently use google chrome with the vimium plugin and it's wonderful; when the website itself doesn't get in the way.

Although a scrolling type thing would be pretty slick.

Offline xbla0x

I want this to be a real product
« Reply #709 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 07:16:35 »
Hey lowpoly, I live in the US, and there has GOT to be a large enough market to make this into a real product. If Das Keyboard can sell well enough, how could this one not?

Let's chat man, I wanna figure out how to make this into a real product. Let me know if there is any way I can help. I'm sure we can find some vc's/use kick starter to get this going.

Offline urlwolf

« Reply #710 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 13:15:03 »
I agree, if you get into this keyboard some kind of scrolling tool, ideally something like the logitech hyperscroll wheel... well, you are in a whole different game. No need to touch a mouse, ever.
keyboards: Cherry G80-3494- cherry reds | filco majestytouch - cherry browns | kinesis contour - cherry browns | cherry G80 - 1800 cherry blacks.
mice: filco touchpad | logitech G9x | wowpen joy | kensington orbit trackball | zalman fpsgun | intellimouse v1 | logitech rx1500

Offline hemflit

« Reply #711 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 16:46:48 »
Quote from: raeb;280512
hemflit, this may/may not help but if you don't want to leave the keyboard for scrolling then at least for web browsers you can get keyboard bindings so you may navigate pages without leaving the home row.

Thanks Raeb. It's not exactly that I have a particular scrolling problem that I want this keyboard to solve; certainly with programmable firmware anyone could make it, say, swirl button + trackpoint motion = scrolling, or something like that. it's just that it occurred to me two trackpoints for two index fingers might possibly be "kinda nifty" for a 100%-home-row use case, so I wanted to throw that out in the open :)

Offline worminater

« Reply #712 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 18:07:54 »
If this was under 200 dollars; and had a method of scrolling without software (linux compatible basically) i would buy it in a heartbeat...

above 200? I'd be tempted still and might have to hide the CC bill for the month...

Offline mrsone

• Recovering Rubber Dome User
« Reply #713 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 04:01:32 »
If you could bring the Miniguru back all my wildest dreams would come true! I could get the compact layout of the HHKB without selling my organs to get it! This is exciting news indeed!
Keyboards currently in my possession:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Other Keyboards I have tried:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline Sam

« Reply #714 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 04:11:08 »
Don't get your hopes up too high.  While I cannot speak for Lowpoly, I know from personal experience that making your own stuff such as this is quite expensive.  Major keyboard companies have the advantage of spreading out the development/tooling costs over hundreds of thousands or more units.  Not to mention reduced component costs for ordering/producing them in mass.  For a small quantity run such as this, I'd be quite surprised if the cost came in under what a new HHKB goes for.  Of course I'd be pleasantly surprised if I was wrong.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #715 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 06:10:24 »
Thanks for the replies and welcome to the new members. :-)

I try not to answer after every single post because that would clutter the thread but it looks like I waited a bit too long.

Quote from: cyclonechuah;279016
Personally i don't really understand Soldering, If i choose No Soldering, does that means the keyboard will comes with all parts Soldered without the need for us to solder the keyboard ourselves?

Prefer the keyboard to comes in completed so we can use directly, and then think about DIY the keyboard and add on the other stuff ourselves.

There will be at least some minor assembly to do. Doing a kit has other advantages beside lower cost. EMI testing for example.

Quote from: DanGWanG;279886
Just spent the last 2 hours reading all 51 pages.

I'm in for one, no matter the price.

Took me over a year to read those. :-)

Quote from: keyboardlover;280282
Edit: Hmm I might be interested. Will the soldering be done for us if we pay extra?

I cannot predict if I will get this organised. Maybe someone will step forward and do assembly for some compensation.

Quote from: xbla0x;280975
Hey lowpoly, I live in the US, and there has GOT to be a large enough market to make this into a real product. If Das Keyboard can sell well enough, how could this one not?

Let's chat man, I wanna figure out how to make this into a real product. Let me know if there is any way I can help. I'm sure we can find some vc's/use kick starter to get this going.

There are already people who may provide some basic funding (more can't hurt though). For VCs the kit version is too small and mass production won't work. I can't use kickstarter as I'm not US-based.

Quote from: urlwolf;281170
I agree, if you get into this keyboard some kind of scrolling tool, ideally something like the logitech hyperscroll wheel... well, you are in a whole different game. No need to touch a mouse, ever.

In Firefox there's Scrollbar Anywhere which uses the right mouse button. I have to stay with the pointing stick for now.

Quote from: hemflit;281363
Thanks Raeb. It's not exactly that I have a particular scrolling problem that I want this keyboard to solve; certainly with programmable firmware anyone could make it, say, swirl button + trackpoint motion = scrolling, or something like that. it's just that it occurred to me two trackpoints for two index fingers might possibly be "kinda nifty" for a 100%-home-row use case, so I wanted to throw that out in the open :)

True, with the Teensy, any button can become a mouse button.

Quote from: Sam;281633
For a small quantity run such as this, I'd be quite surprised if the cost came in under what a new HHKB goes for.

I'd be surprised too.

Anyway, my plan was to finish the pcb, then do the case construction. However, I had a look at my local CNC forum and have seen some crazy prices for custom machined parts. So I'm not going to wait any longer with the case because another kill criterium may be waiting here.

With the pcb, I'm going to use Kicad, which is open source. Still trying to get the hang of it and I have to start with custom parts. I think I'll try the 4 layer pcb with an individual led matrix on a different layer for the first release (I'm still surprised nobody responded to this). While this looks a bit overwhelming to me at the moment, it's just a switch pcb after all. It can't be that difficult.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #716 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 06:34:50 »
Theoretically it would be enough, if you did the PCB and gave us a list of electrical components needed to assemble a working board (controller, resistors, diodes etc.). PCB mounted Cherry switches would do the trick nicely. I'd be more than happy to assemble (solder) a few boards as long as it doesn't involve SMD soldering :)

Cheers
SainT
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #717 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 09:18:17 »
The controller (Teensy) will not be on the switch pcb. There'll be only switches, diodes, pins and probably a pointing stick connector. I have yet to figure this one out. The pointing stick needs an industrial ribbon cable and the necessary connector will most likely be SMD. So, one SMD part at max. The connector and cable may not even be available in small quantities.

« Reply #718 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 13:22:21 »
Quote from: lowpoly;281643
With the pcb, I'm going to use Kicad, which is open source. Still trying to get the hang of it and I have to start with custom parts. I think I'll try the 4 layer pcb with an individual led matrix on a different layer for the first release (I'm still surprised nobody responded to this).

4 layer PCB? Does that make hand-soldering more difficult or not? I haven't done any soldering in years, but I like this project.

Quote from: lowpoly;281691
The controller (Teensy) will not be on the switch pcb. There'll be only switches, diodes, pins and probably a pointing stick connector. I have yet to figure this one out. The pointing stick needs an industrial ribbon cable and the necessary connector will most likely be SMD. So, one SMD part at max. The connector and cable may not even be available in small quantities.

Oh, and that reminds me; some people may be interested in just the PCB and whatever SMD is required. I mean, they may want to create their own case out of some other material (though I admit aluminium is cool).
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #719 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 13:40:56 »
perhaps its better to do this without the case. i would be happy with or without a case.

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #720 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 14:23:13 »
Just a question...do you have a cad file for the case? I have someone i'd like to show it to.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #721 on: Fri, 21 January 2011, 11:06:20 »
Quote from: Superfluous Parentheses;281786
4 layer PCB? Does that make hand-soldering more difficult or not?

I don't think so.

Quote from: CeeSA;281793
perhaps its better to do this without the case. i would be happy with or without a case.

Wouldn't be the Miniguru without a case. Selling pcbs without case shouldn't be a problem though.

Quote from: Ascaii;281813
Just a question...do you have a cad file for the case? I have someone i'd like to show it to.

I only have the 3D that can be seen on the website. It's not fully precise and lacks the interior construction. I'm working on it, it'll take some time. Maybe PM me your email just in case.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #722 on: Fri, 21 January 2011, 23:32:37 »
If it's a kit, and programmable, that means we can change the layout from ANSI to UNIX, does it not?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline morffius

« Reply #723 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 10:32:17 »
I re-read this whole thread over the last few days. Awesome. I can't wait to get my soldering on and have this board!

PS: I've even converted my mother to a mechanical with an old cherry.

Offline blueslobster

« Reply #724 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 13:52:49 »
Quote from: PikachuDX;266935
I'd love one with a UK layout.. :<

Quote from: lowpoly;267176
Should be possible one way or the other.[...]

How much individualism do you think is possible, concerning different layouts? When regarding the HHKB as your biggest competitor (even more so now, as the miniguru and the HHKB will have similar price tags), it would make sense, to offer a HHKB layout.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #725 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 05:27:16 »
Quote from: theferenc;282714
If it's a kit, and programmable, that means we can change the layout from ANSI to UNIX, does it not?
ANSI is a physical layout and UNIX a logical? But I think you can.

Quote from: blueslobster;284598
How much individualism do you think is possible, concerning different layouts? When regarding the HHKB as your biggest competitor (even more so now, as the miniguru and the HHKB will have similar price tags), it would make sense, to offer a HHKB layout.
With the mass production version I objected any deviations from the standard layout. Because it meant than a lot of people had to be converted to using a second layer and I thought that would be enough for a first step.

With the mini series I'm not as firm. If there are enough requests for a certain layout it should be possible.

Personally, I'm still with the standard layout because

• standard Cherry keycaps will fit immediately, this may keep the cost of the kit down for some
  • I like the big backspace key
  • I really dislike enter and backspace being too close
  • with two additional layers there are more than 170 keys. If you want it all on layer 1 this may not be the right 'board for you ;-)

Having that said, putting a small key at the right of right shift may be good. Replacing the right three modifiers in the bottom row with 4 small keys may be good either.

I don't think replacing the left three bottom row modifiers with 4 standard keys would be good for ex. because this would make the (thumb pressed) fn key smaller which is a vital key on this keyboard (same on the right side).

But I put this up for discussion.

Unrelated, I have little time lately. I thought January would give me some relief after a stressful December, but it didn't happen. Just to show that I haven't been sitting on my hands completely, here's a small test schematic done in KiCad. Had to do a custom part for the switch. All very easy yet. I'll finish the following steps to pcb with this test setup so I can avoid some pitfalls with complete parts (and I'm still not finished with the schematic manual):

Offline sudowork

« Reply #726 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 05:18:59 »
Watching this thread has got me all excited again. Can't wait to see your progress :D.

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #727 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 06:25:50 »
So you are planning on using the Cherry switches that include a diode?

I know this is asking ALOT, but is there anyway we could get a jumper (resistor place holder) in the circuit before each switch, so that we could put LED's in place of the diodes in the switches?
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")
| IBM Model M 1391401 (BS) | Goldtouch GTC-0033 Keypad (MX Browns) |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Soarer

« Reply #728 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 07:13:01 »
That schematic shows an LED in each switch ;-)

But no resistors... what's the plan?

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #729 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 08:00:28 »
I would seriously pay like $350 for that if they were on the market

Offline noctua

« Reply #730 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 08:24:32 »
Quote from: Soarer;288184
That schematic shows an LED in each switch ;-)

But no resistors... what's the plan?

the LED's are self the resistor's ;-)
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline Soarer

« Reply #731 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 08:39:02 »
Quote from: noctua;288194
the LED's are self the resistor's ;-)

Oh right. I knew 5V LEDs with the resistor built in existed, but I thought the Cherry ones were the regular kind. Not that they have to be Cherry LEDs, of course :-)

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #732 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 10:26:24 »
The switches (may) have LEDs, the 1N4148 rollover diodes are separate.

The LEDs are on a different matrix than the switches so they can be switched independently (every single one). With an 8x8 matrix for example. To get equal brightness regardless of the number of active LEDs in a row, pulsing should work. Provided the Teensy is fast enough for pulsing the LEDs, reading the switch matrix and the ps/2 pointing unit.

But of course, you got me here. ;-) My electronics knowledge is pratically non-existent. With the switch matrix this shouldn't be much of a problem. With the LEDs, well maybe.

Provided Signature Plastics can do double shot keys using transparent plastic for the symbols, it would be possible to

• have a nearly blank 'board with the LEDs switched off
  • just illuminate WASD
  • just illuminate F and J for the homerow
  • animate light effects
  • animate light effects dependent on key presses, for ex. light the key that has been pressed, then let is slowly fade
  • etc.

The 'board would still work without the fancy stuff so this would be optional.

Edit: AFAIK the built-in Cherry LEDs only come in ugly colors. Green, yellow, red, something like that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 February 2011, 10:30:14 by lowpoly »

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #733 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 10:30:26 »
Quote from: lowpoly

Provided Signature Plastics can do double shot keys using transparent plastic for the symbols, it would be possible to

Sadly they can't.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #734 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 10:33:12 »
Quote from: sixty;288274
Sadly they can't.

F*ck, I thought I had seen transparent in both color rings.

Any more details on why not?

So I guess it's no LEDs then. :-(

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #735 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 10:34:49 »
That might be why Deck/TG3 uses that convoluted keycap making process.  You might see if they have a somewhat translucent white plastic.

Offline v193r

« Reply #736 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 11:56:45 »
any chance for nkro thru usb. it should be too hard using hasu's method.

Offline blueslobster

« Reply #737 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 13:10:43 »
Quote from: lowpoly;287672
[...]
With the mini series I'm not as firm. If there are enough requests for a certain layout it should be possible.

Personally, I'm still with the standard layout because

• standard Cherry keycaps will fit immediately, this may keep the cost of the kit down for some
  • I like the big backspace key
  • I really dislike enter and backspace being too close
  • with two additional layers there are more than 170 keys. If you want it all on layer 1 this may not be the right 'board for you ;-)

The HHKB does actually have one key less compared to the Miniguru (60 vs. 61). But as the Miniguru relies on two Swirl keys, those two should be added to the HHKB layout. This combined Miniguru-HHKB layout would have 62 keys.

Having that said, putting a small key at the right of right shift may be good. Replacing the right three modifiers in the bottom row with 4 small keys may be good either.

Whether a further Fn key is needed or not, I don't know. But placement directly besides the right shift key or as a 4th key in the bottom right corner seems fine.

I don't think replacing the left three bottom row modifiers with 4 standard keys would be good for ex. because this would make the (thumb pressed) fn key smaller which is a vital key on this keyboard (same on the right side).

But I put this up for discussion.[...]

Agree - 4 keys on the bottom left side would be too small.

Offline bakageta

« Reply #738 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 15:06:19 »
Quote from: lowpoly;288280
F*ck, I thought I had seen transparent in both color rings.

Any more details on why not?

So I guess it's no LEDs then. :-(

I wouldn't rule out the LEDs... Even with opaque keycaps, the underglow effect can look pretty nice.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #739 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 15:07:39 »
UNIX layout is not just logical. The main difference is that the space where the backspace key is in the ANSI layout is actually 2 keys (|\ and `~, left to right) in the UNIX layout.

Everything else could just be remapped in software though. This is actually the primary reason that I object so strongly when anyone makes stupid "HHKB killer" comments about a keyboard with a 2-wide backspace key in the upper right corner.

Edit: fixed stupid typo.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 February 2011, 15:12:45 by theferenc »
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline blueslobster

« Reply #740 on: Tue, 01 February 2011, 15:42:17 »
Quote from: theferenc;288452
UNIX layout is not just logical. The main difference is that the space where the backspace key is in the ANSI layout is actually 2 keys (|\ and `~, left to right) in the UNIX layout.

Everything else could just be remapped in software though. This is actually the primary reason that I object so strongly when anyone makes stupid "HHKB killer" comments about a keyboard with a 2-wide backspace key in the upper right corner.[...]

You cannot imitate every layout by remapping. Sometimes the position of certain keys also is very important.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #741 on: Wed, 02 February 2011, 15:59:14 »
That thing looks so freakin legit! I thought it was a real factory made keyboard at first. I looked at the logo and thought, hmm i've never heard of that brand. then I read a little and was pretty shocked that it was home made!

Offline theferenc

« Reply #742 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 09:01:17 »
Quote from: blueslobster;288478
You cannot imitate every layout by remapping. Sometimes the position of certain keys also is very important.

I know. That was actually my point by my previous post. Hence the comment that there are physical differences, but everything else (i.e. not physical differences) can be remapped in software.

But yes, this is a point that people on this forum tend to miss. A lot.

Offline runeazn

« Reply #743 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 04:51:53 »
i read trough 5 pages from page 45 and i still dont get what i get..

a DIY kit would be awesome and fun.
But i want to know what i get.

Also you are Germany operated :D?
means cheap shipping cost for me ?
Kami Ducky 1087 of Heaven

Offline Fishraper

« Reply #744 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 15:33:01 »
I'm totally in especially if I could pay extra for the soldering to be done already mainly because I don't trust myself at all to do it ; ; (I apologize for my fail)

Offline lootbag

« Reply #745 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 21:46:01 »
I think I would take it upon myself to learn to solder properly if this kit actually became available.
It would be a good experience.

Offline nikiwaibel

« Reply #746 on: Tue, 15 February 2011, 16:33:08 »
HHKB is great, but a version with some sort of a mouse (stick) and buttons (i'd prefer 3 on unix and some sort of scrolling emulation -- buttons 4/5, 6/7) would be genious. glowing keys -- no matter, if with ascii characters or sthg else (klingon?) -- could be amazing.

if there are any existing schematics / PCBs already, what about releasing them under a openhardware license and enable distributed development somehow?

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Open-source_hardware
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/TAPR_Open_Hardware_License

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #747 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 07:48:38 »
Just wanted to say that I would be in for 2 if they are less than US$200 each.  I love stuff like this.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline runeazn

« Reply #748 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 16:00:26 »
i would like to know the very rough estimated price in hundreds.
as it may change my decision to buy a majestouch 2 or not :/
Kami Ducky 1087 of Heaven

Offline Hoolala

« Reply #749 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 19:41:02 »
I registered solely for this thread. Knowing that the mass production of Miniguru was cancelled really made me sad. Now I am so glad to see this project has come back alive again.

I think what makes Miniguru so unique is the tracking point, so count me in as long as the final version has it. I also want 3 more spare tracking point units if possible. I will prefer MX Brown switches.

IMHO, it might be good to separate the matrix board from the controller and connect them with some sort of cable, so we can reuse/redesign the layout of the keyboard in the future. Also, it help protect the controller when we solder the switches. (Or is this already done, sorry this thread is way too long)

BTW, lowpoly, you can try TAOBAO.com for small components like connectors, etc. If you need a translator, just please PM me.